Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#518238 10/12/16 03:57 PM
OP Offline
Hi.

Our Belize countdown is getting short, so I began searching for information on potential ATM usage on Ambergris Caye, especially north of the bridge. The information I read from my searches is either very old, extremely negative, or practically useless. Kind of like me except for the negative part.

Anyway...

I was hoping that someone would have some more current information. For instance, are US debit cards accepted at all machines or just some, what ATM network is best, have skimmers been used to steal ATM users information (if so, where), where is a safe, dependable ATM (as dependable as they can be, that is), what bank is the best (for security, lower fees, higher withdrawal limit, etc.) to choose to use my debit card at an ATM machine.

I plan on bringing US funds with me; but since this is the maiden voyage to Belize, after 30 trips to Jamaica, I am only guessing as to what a per diem would be for the little woman and I.

Thanks for whatever assistance is offered.

We live in Negril 65 days a year, the rest of the time we are visiting Michigan.
R
ron Offline
R
I spend 6 months a year on Caye Caulker and I use my credit cards wherever I can. But I don't pay fees with the card I use. The maximum I've seen for a withdrawal is $500US sometimes lower.

R
R
I've always used the ATM's at Belize Bank; Wings and the supermarket at St. Peter's Circle (their name escapes me at the moment. However The supermarket just over the bridge and I think Mike who owns the market at Grand Caribe told me he was getting one for that market. I've never had a problem with the 3 in town but I've never needed to use the one at the market just over the bridge. He has been around for a while now and if I needed to I would use his, I think.

I like using ATM cards rather than Credit Cards and I believe the ATM's are cheaper. I have no fee CCs but only use them for actual charges and not cash. I do the same in Mexico and I think the ATM cards are the best way to go but I've never really put the whole thing under a microscope.

Don't forget you are limited in how much cash (USD) you can bring in. It used to be 5k USD but I think last year they increased it to 10k. Do not bring a lot of cash unless you can put it in a bank or a very secure place. No sense in risking your safety for the convenience or savings of using cash.

Good luck if you plan to try to open a bank account.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
OP Offline
Thanks for your help.

We live in Negril 65 days a year, the rest of the time we are visiting Michigan.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.