FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofer: My Husband
“You can sit here,” the lady on the bus said, making room for me. “Thank you,” I said, as I gratefully took a seat. “I am Mrs. Vernon from Dangriga,” she said. “Where are you from?” “I have lived in San Pedro for nearly thirty years,” I told her. As we exchanged small talk she said, “For some reason you remind me so much of my late husband, David.” “That’s very flattering, I’m sure,” I said. “How long has it been since he passed away?” “Oh, it’s been six years now. The family misses him every single day.” “He must have been a good husband,” I said. “My husband was the very best,” she replied. “He treated me like gold.” “How many children do you have?”

Tropic Air gives back to San Pedro RC School and San Pedro Tour Guide Association
Tropic Air, The Airline of Belize , has announced the October results of its 2016 nationwide #TropicGivesBack fundraising campaign. For every ticket bought at the month’s selected station, $1 is donated to an organization chosen by our staff stationed in that community. October was the chosen month for San Pedro. As part of the airline’s largest charitable fundraiser of the year, Tropic Air business partners, staff and Customers joined efforts and raised $1384. The donations have been divided equally between ($692 each) the San Pedro Roman Catholic School’s Marching Band and the San Pedro Tourist Guide Association’s environmental program. Checks were presented in San Pedro to Mrs. Roxani Kay and Philip Leslie of the school and the association respectively, on Tuesday, November 22. “Tropic welcomed the opportunity to help these two organizations. We have a keen appreciation of the important roles that both music and environmental education play in our island community, and a long-standing commitment to corporate social responsibility,” said John Greif III, Tropic Air’s president. “Through music and respect for the environment, we hope to inspire future generations to pursue their dreams.”

Doctor Love: Miss Indie
Dear Doctor Love, I am perfectly happy being single but my friends think I must be lonely, depressed, or lack the social skills to “get a man.” My sister is worried I will soon be thirty years old and still have no husband. I enjoy a life of travel, and have been able to accept jobs in foreign countries, but my best friend says I am just avoiding commitment. My mother thinks I am selfish and spoiled. A husband, children and marriage simply does not interest me. I am so happy alone. Is there something wrong with me? Should I be looking for love? /s/ Miss Indie

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

NEW SUPPORT FOR BELIZEAN MUSICAL ARTISTS IN THE LOS ANGELES BELIZEAN COMMUNITY!
At the request of many Belizean artists at home and abroad who have been feeling somewhat isolated in the Caribbean communities in the United States where they perform and do music for a living, and in Belize where there appear to be a preference for foreign artists over Belize's homegrown brands, the Los Angeles based Belizean organization Belize Music Entertainment Group (BMEG) was formed in summer of this year. BMEG hope to addressed and removed the stigma associated with Belizean musical artists and entertainers that they are "not marketable", that their music is the same old Caribbean stuff, that Belize don't have a music of its own, and that Belizeans can't package and distribute their musical products effectively and make money. These are just some of the issues that brought this body of Belizean entertainers, artists, business people, and broadcasters together to discuss how things can be done in terms of addressing these problems and solve them once and for all.

Corozal 2016 Christmas Tree Lighting ceremony event
Together we say, "Season Greetings and a Merry Christmas" to everyone in the the twenty six rural beautiful villages of Corozal and to all our fellow Corozaleňos at home and abroad. For all of those who have chosen Corozal as their choice destination and new home, "Season Greetings" to you all. Here is a wonderful time to show togetherness and begin the healing process and working as one people. The 2016 Christmas Tree Lighting ceremony event was FANTASTIC that it literally brought traffic to a halt on 4th Avenue. Thanks for supporting your town. Everyone seemed to enjoy our great local performances. Here is a snippet of last night's event. Peace Belize!

International Yoga Festival Dec. 31 in Belize City
Yoga enthusiasts are in for a thrill as a first of its kind International Yoga Festival is set to be held inBelize City, Belize at the Harbor View Greens to bring in the New Year. The Yoga Festival will begin at 6:00 a.m. on December 31 and will finish at midnight bringing in the New Year on a positive note. The festival is designed to bring together yoga and meditation practitioners, aspirants and the general public to enjoy soulful moments of wellness, healing, relaxation and reflection in order to promote more positive interactions that are vitally important for the well-being of our communities and country.

The Reporter

BCCI holds Christmas expo
Hundreds of Belizeans gathered at the Ramada Belize City Princess this weekend to take advantage of sale prices at the fifth annual Christmas Expo, hosted by the Belize Chamber of Commerce and Industry (BCCI). The expo, held in the King’s Room on the second floor, gathered 30 local businesses, engaging potential customers with products such as: soaps, detergents, groceries, handicrafts, juices, electronics and pastries. Vianey Reyes, marketing and public relations officer for the BCCI, explained that the purpose of the expo is to help both members of the Chamber as well as non-members, engage a customer base that they normally would not have gotten a chance to. “It’s mostly marketing here at the expo, some companies are here not even expecting to see sales at the end of the day, they just want to get their name out there,” Reyes said.

Fidel Castro laid to rest
Today, the Government of Cuba took the ashes of its revolutionary leader, Fidel Castro, to its final destination, the Santa Ifigenia cemetery in Santiago de Cuba. The interring of his ashes marks the end of a nine-day mourning period in Cuba, and the end of a four-day journey for the urn carrying his ashes. Officials left with the urn on Wednesday, driving from the capital City Havana, tracing in reverse Castro’s revolutionary tour. Officials traveled over 800 kilometers with the ashes, to lay them next to 19th Century Cuban independence hero, Jose Marti. Castro died at age 90; however he had given over the leadership of Cube to his brother Raul Castro in 2008. Deputy Prime Minister, Patrick Faber, and Minister of Foreign Affairs, Wilfred Elrington, went to Cuba to represent Belize at the funeral. Prime Minister Dean Barrow also issued an official communication to the Government of Cuba earlier this week, expressing Belize’s condolences over their loss.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Fatal road traffic accident in Esperanza village
Reports reaching our newsroom is that a cargo truck, travelling towards San Ignacio, collided into a parked mini van a short while ago in Esperanza village. One man, a resident of Santa Elena, is confirmed dead as a result of the accident (PS. Name of victim withheld as family has not yet been informed). Police are currently on the scene conducting investigations.

Spain provides financing for OAS programs
Spain will provide around US $1.29 Million in financing toward various programs in the Americas and the Caribbean, according to the Organization of American States (OAS). The OAS said the funds will be available in 2017 for programmes on peace, democracy, human rights, security and development. The Senior Advisor for Strategy and Organizational Development of the OAS, Luis Porto, and the Permanent Observer of Spain to the OAS, Ambassador Jorge Hevia, signed the agreement during a meeting at the OAS headquarters in Washington D.C.

International day of people with disabilities; I AM ABLE
Yesterday was International Day of People with Disabilities and the launch of the Commonwealth Youth Council’s (CYC) campaign for youth with disabilities. The project, entitled I AM ABLE, will run for 18 months and will seek to contribute towards the development of a more inclusive society by addressing the fact that, according to the CYC, people with disabilities are among the most marginalized groups within the Commonwealth. Through initiatives such as data collection, myth-busting and leadership training, the project will provide support and opportunities for young people with disabilities, including physical, mental and learning difficulties. The launch took place in Mombasa, Kenya. The event will place persons with disabilities at the forefront as they tell their personal stories of success and challenges. In addition, there will be a panel discussion and networking to facilitate discussion about the project and ensure that key issues are addressed.

Blogs

An Update on Oil Exploration In Belize And Other Things
The GOB also says that they maintain a “policy based moratorium” but they have not provided what that official policy is. WE NEED LEGISLATION but most of all TRANSPARENCY from the GOB. But good governance and transparency is a much bigger issue in Belize – one that doesn’t just pertain to our reef. SO WHAT CAN WE DO? You can sign the petition from the World Wildlife Federation – it goes straight to PM Dean Barrow. You can make your position known – you are not willing to gamble on our seas. You can do this thru conversation with friends and family, through social media, through letters to our media and contacts with your representatives. This is not a party issue. This is a resident of Belize issue. There are arguments that we’ve heard presented from the other side. “Well, the reef is dying anyway, we need to look for an alternative way to make money” or… “Resorts, divers and snorklers, boats and cruise ships are polluting our reef anyway, we need to be looking at other revenue now.” I don’t see how either of these make sense.

International Sourcesizz

2016 Caribbean Boxing Development tournament
The tournament is designed to allow boxers from the Caribbean to compete with each other annually as part of the development programme for the region. Other territories participating are Barbados, Belize, the Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Guadeloupe, St. Lucia, St Maarten, the US Virgin Islands and Trinidad and Tobago. International Boxing Association president Dr C. K. Wu and the acting executive director, William Louis Marie, will be present for the finals and will have a meeting with regional representatives on Sunday, December 11.

Videos

• New Corona, 2.5min. A few images from the amazing Gulf of Honduras

• Chocolate Covered Chopstix - Diving in Belize, 3min. Come along with us as we dive at south water caye, the blue hole, and lighthouse atoll.

• Black Tip Reef Sharks - Belize, December, 1/2min.

• Belize Mayan Site Lamanai, 3.5min. Day Trip from Caye Caulker to Lamanai Ruins on mainland Belize.

• Belize 2016 Altun Ha Maya Ruins!!, 2min.

• Learn how to cook and clean a Lion Fish in Belize, 1.5min. Today's Jaunt will take us to Belize and show HOW TO clean this LOCAL DISH.

• Shark spotted, Belize, ,Blue Hole, Half Moon Caye.., 1min. Carribean Reef Shark spotted in Belize, Half Moon Caye.

• Cestopis: Belize, Střední Amerika, 28min.

• Belize Parrots, 1min. This audio recording is from a collection within the Pro Sound Effects library.