Print Thread
Today's Belize News: January 4, 2017 #520656
01/04/17 12:53 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

San Pedro brings in 2017 with a bang!
La Isla Bonita definitely has a reputation for hosting faboulous events, in particular, its New Year’s Eve Countdown. On Saturday, December 31st, hundreds of revelers flocked to the Central Park to bid farewell to 2016, and welcome in 2017. Organized by the San Pedro Town Council (SPTC), the annual celebration keeps getting bigger and better every year. With live music from the hottest bands and DJ’s, many party favor giveaways, and a spectacular fireworks display, everyone who celebrated the special event enjoyed themselves to the fullest. The grand party began at 10PM, with musical performances by one of Corozal’s finest—Caribbean Roots. Their upbeat rhythms had everyone dancing as they awaited the big countdown. As midnight drew near, official ceremonies started with a prayer by Pastor Clive Welsh of Lighthouse Christian Radio. Master of Ceremonies Eiden Salazar then called Mayor Daniel Guerrero to the podium to deliver his New Year’s Address.

Outgoing Speaker of the House Sworn-in as New Attorney General
Hon. Michael Peyrefitte was this morning sworn-in as Attorney General before the Governor General of Belize, H.E. Sir Colville Young at the Belize House in Belmopan. Hon. Peyrefitte takes on his new role after serving in the capacity of Speaker of the House of Representatives since his election in 2012. He now succeeds Senator Hon. Vanessa Retreage who demitted office in December 2016 after serving as Attorney General for one year. Mrs. Laura Longsworth has been nominated to replace Hon. Peyrefitte as Speaker of the House.

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Raymond McLeo wanted under investigations of murder
Raymond McLeod, who is wanted under investigations of murder, was last seen in Placenia, Stann Creek, Belize. McLeod has fled to Belize via Mexico. If McLeod is located, please contact Crime Stoppers Belize, Police or the U.S. Embassy any time, day or night. McLeod is a former Marine with PTSD and may have access to weapons. A warrant has been issued for McLeod’s arrest.

'Neet and clean fi 2017'
Ahmadiyya Muslim Jama'at Belize started off their New Year with cleaning Northern Highway and Antelope street for #KeepBelizeCleanIn2017 Campaign. Thanks to Belize City Counsel for their support and to those who came out and helped.

Road north San Pedro
We ended the year by improving and expanding the section of the north road in front of Las Terrazas Resort leading to Journey's End.

Outgoing Speaker of the House Sworn-in as New Attorney General
Hon. Michael Peyrefitte was this morning sworn-in as Attorney General before the Governor General of Belize, H.E. Sir Colville Young at the Belize House in Belmopan. Hon. Peyrefitte takes on his new role after serving in the capacity of Speaker of the House of Representatives since his election in 2012. He now succeeds Senator Hon. Vanessa Retreage who demitted office in December 2016 after serving as Attorney General for one year. Mrs. Laura Longsworth has been nominated to replace Hon. Peyrefitte as Speaker of the House. The new Attorney General was accompanied by family, friends, Ministers of Government, the Cabinet Secretary and His Worship the Mayor of Belize City.

It's been a good year for the Music Ambassador!
The office of the Music Ambassador is dedicated to providing continuous support for our musicians whether financial, infrastructural or educational. The office of the Music Ambassador is pleased to help artists manage and develop their talent as well as find innovative ways to showcase and distribute their talent in the digital era. 2016 was a stellar year for artist support. I would like to thank the acting President of NICH, Gregory T. A. Vernon, for believing in my vision and being committed to supporting the music community. I also thank my colleagues at Institute of Creative Arts - NICH Karen Vernon, Jackie Castillo, Patricia August Mr Welch and Dorren August as well as members of the Music Commission Omar Cloudnine Arzu who constantly finds ways to help artists, Troy Djdalla Flowers who uses his number 1 tv/radio show to promote Belizean artists, Tyfara Andazi, Al Obando, Mr Castillio. Special thanks to Michael H. M. Bowen & Mayor Belize Candice Miller for all their support.

Exodus: A Journey Through Divorce
Belizean Author writes about life after divorce. Set in an exotic, tropical location, Exodus tells the story of divorce that is true no matter where you live in the world! Debbie Mendoza faced this challenge after twenty four years of marriage, and lived to write about it. She addresses the different stages, emotions, and issues, of divorce that are universal. This is no ordinary book about the stages of divorce.It is an intimate look into what it is like for a Christian woman clinging to her belief in God, while letting go of everything that had been normal for her for over two decades. This book is raw and unsettling, and it takes you from despair to hope; from being frantic to gaining peace. It is a beautiful story of God’s redemption.

Splashers
Lets get our splash on this Thursday at Crazy Canucks at 2pm. Please sign up on our website

"Cory" McDermott passes away
Mayor Daniel Guerrero, the San Pedro Town Council and Staff would like to extend its deepest condolences to the McDermott family & friends on the passing of Mr. Cormac "Cory" McDermott. Mr. Cory as he was affectionately known made San Pedro his home many years ago and became friends with everyone. His cheerful spirit will be greatly missed. May his soul rest in peace.

New Year's Countdown at Central Park 2016
San Pedro Town welcomed the new year with a bang! As you can see in the pictures, town square was filled to its maximum with residents and visitors to bring in the new year 2017. The crowd gathered in front of the stage in anticipation of the countdown, which was conducted by International DJ from St. Maarten, DJ OUTKAST! "...5-4-3-2-1! HAPPY NEW YEAR!" everyone shouted, followed by a grand fireworks display as the clock struck 12! DJ Outkast had the people amped up until 2 in the morning playing all the top hits. After DJ Outkast's performance, the crowd kept on going with Caribbean Roots from Corozal up until 4 in the morning with the crowd's favorite musical selection of cumbia, soca, and even modern hits. The San Pedro Town Council would like to thank everyone who came out to bring in the New Year at the Central Park, and for making this event a successful one. Special thanks goes out to our Master of Ceremonies, Mr. Eiden Salazar, Mr. Clive Welsh for his blessing, Marisha Thompson, Miss San Pedro 2016-2017, DJ Outkast, Brad Hemmings, John Marsden, Caribbean Roots Band, Mauricio Mejia, Skynet Sounds, Mr. Efrain Guerrero, Mr. Windell Stevens, our SPTC Workmen, Sandy Toes Bar, Bamboo Fence, Pedro's Inn, Tropic Air and everyone who was a part of this magnificent event! Until next time!

Poets Corner: Terrorism
By Abdulmajeed K. Nunez. Ministers should be sent to prison For treasonous acts against Belizean citizens After the eleven days strike, government never learned its lesson Attempting to withhold the teachers’ salaries was an act of terrorism Belize has a terrorism act But most Belizeans are ignorant of this fact Hence the reason they are reluctant to act As the government sets on the unions back Belizeans, we can do better than that I make an appeal to teachers not to yield Parents don’t make government use your children as shields They, the managing authority and secret deals Teachers’ fight is our fight for real If we do not take a stand our fate is sealed Teachers were not consulted when managers and government made their deal Teachers should seek an injunction for real

Oceana VP for Belize Janelle Chanona speaks on becoming the 13th Senator
Chanona stated "As a nation, we owe a debt of gratitude to the teachers, business community and civil society for their unwavering commitment to ensure the appointment of a 13th Senator. It is therefore with an overwhelming sense of patriotic pride that I announce that I have accepted a nomination (thank you Turneffe Atoll Trust) to become Belize's 13th Senator. I do so with the unconditional support of my family and Oceana Belize. Everything I have done and said, and what I will do or say, has been and will always be in effort to be a constructive Belizean and to meaningfully participate the process of nation building. I extend sincere congratulations to my fellow nominees and enthusiastically look forward to the days ahead; we are only as strong as we make each other. May God bless Belize."

Channel 7

Ministry and Managements Shown Up, Schools Didn't Open
The New Year has started, but the new school semester, not quite yet. For weeks we've been covering the push and pull over when school should re-open after the Christmas holidays. The Ministry and the school management says the opening date is today January the third, while the Union says it is the ninth - and parents and students were caught in the middle. So in the end....who had their say, and who had their way? Well, it seems the teachers won out - at least at the Primary School level. Most schools we visited in the city this morning were only half opened: administrators, a few teachers, a good many students, but not enough to have a proper school day. And those students who did go to school were eventually sent home because there wasn't enough critical mass to carry through with a full school day.

Live Grenade Found In City
And while the concern over whether your child is missing out on school is what's worrying households across Belize tonight, in Belize City the story for the New Year so far has been murder. There have been five Belize District murders since Saturday night. Tonight, we'll have all the stories, but we start in the Yabra area where police recovered a grenade today. The Gang Suppression Unit was conducting searches in the area of Old Fabers Road, which is in the turf of a well known city gang. The GSU found it in an abandoned lot, in the near vicinity where another grenade had exploded back in 2008. Fortunately, the cops discovered this one, which was unused, but still very much intact, ready for detonation. The experts have since determined that it is an M26-A1 hand grenade, and our news team was on the scene when the authorities finally retrieved it. Here's what the Acting Commander of the GSU told us at the location:

New Year, Old Murder Trend Continues
And so while that grenade has been taken off the street, tonight Belize City is on edge. That's because Five men have been killed in 65 hours. They are 27 year old Dillon Grinage, killed in Sandhill on New Year's Eve, 22 year-old Colin Sutherland killed in Belize City on New Year's Day, 28 year-old Robert Gillett killed in Belize City yesterday, 32 year old Kenneth Dobson, killed in Belize city last night, and 19 year old Randolph Johnson killed in Belize City this afternoon. All of them were killed with firearms.

City Sees Another Murder After Long Weekend of Violence
Our coverage on this panorama of violence begins with the most recent murder. That happened this afternoon on the Western Highway near mile two and a half. It is across the highway from the old entrance for the dumpsite. The circumstances of the shooting are not known - but we do know that 19-year-old Randolph Johnson was killed. He is from the nearby Police Street area. We spoke to his family who said that they are waiting for police to tell them what happened. We observed two abandoned bicycles on the scene, and we saw police searching in the bushes. Police have one known suspect they are looking for. The officer commanding southside could not be reached for comment. We'll have more on this tomorrow.

"Fudgie" Met An Unexpected End
Another city man was shot dead in front of his friends on Raccoon Street Extension. 32 year old Kenneth Dobson was at a friend's house last night when a gunman walked up and shot him. There are varying reports as to how many men attacked Dobson but it is believed that the true story can be found on a store's surveillance footage. We have more details. Courtney Weatherbune reporting: Kenneth Dobson always hung out under this Raccoon Street house with his friends. He would drop by, have a few drinks and play dominoes. But last night, this space that brought him and his friends so much joy and laughter is now tainted with his blood. Dobson better known as "Fudgie" was shot and killed around 7:30. Reports are that the gunman walked through this gate up to Dobson and shot him several times. Dobson apparently tried to fight him off but he couldn't. He then tried to run away but collapsed here. Not too long after, Dobson's sister got the shocking call. Voice of: Sister: "The dynamites are exploding and all kinds of things are happening around but we are not paying any attention to it until my phone rang and when my phone rang they told me to come because Fudgie got shot and I asked where? and they said right here by Ralph's, so I got up and I went and when I went out there I saw him on the ground and I spoke to the lady and I told her I am his family member and I want to see him because I do not believe it."

Sutherland Slain, A Family Grieves
And now we turn to the New Year's Day murder of 22 year-old Colin Sutherland, a Belize City resident from the Conch Shell Bay area. It happened some time after 7 on Sunday night in front of the BEL China UNO Gas Station on Youth For the Future Drive. By all accounts, he was a law-abiding citizen, and he was near to home, but none of that mattered when a car pulled up right next to him on Vernon Street. A gunman immediately jumped out and opened fire injuring him in the chest, the upper abdomen, in his back, and in the right upper thigh. Today, in a joint press conference featuring all 3 commanders of the Eastern Division, Assistant Police Commissioner CHester Williams shared what details they have at this time: ACP Chester Williams - OC, Eastern Division South: "On Sunday, January 1st, sometime around 6:30 p.m. there about, Police responded to a shooting incident, on Youth for the Future Drive, right in front of the Bel China Gas Station. Upon arrival at the location, the police observed the wounded body of a male person identified as Colin Sutherland. He was rushed to the KHMH, where he was pronounced dead on arrival."

Ms. Belize To Ms. Universe
Since winning the Ms. Belize pageant in in September 2016, Rebecca Rath has been travelling the country attending events and promoting charities. She has also been preparing to represent Belize on the world stage at the 2017 Ms. Universe pageant. Today Rath left Belize to make the final preparations for the competition, which will be held in the Philippines. Before she left we got a chance to speak to her about her experience as Ms. Belize so far, and her hopes for the Ms. Universe pageant. Alex Courtenay, 7News: "Let's backtrack a bit and talk to us about the experience after winning Miss Belize Universe and preparation into going to Miss Universe." Rebecca Rath, Ms. Belize Universe: "It's been a lot of work, it's been conditioning your body, mind, getting your wardrobe ready and doing your research on world issues because you never know what they're going to ask you out there, what's going to happen when you in Manilla. So now that the time is finally here and I'm getting ready to leave I'm so excited, feeling prepared and ready."

Robert Gillett Slain
We continue our coverage of the long weekend's list of murders with our story on the Monday afternoon murder of 28 year-old Robert Gillett. He was killed on the very last of the 3-day holiday on North Front Street. At this time, police aren't exactly sure why he was targeted, but today, the Eastern Division North Police Commander, Dezerie Phillips shared what they have been able to piece together since the broad daylight killing. Here's what she told us: ACP Dezerie Phillips - OC, Eastern Division North: "Yesterday, Monday January 2, sometime around 12 midday, police responded to shot being fire on North Front Street. Upon arrival Robert Gillett, 28 years-old, was observed lying on the ground with multiple gunshot wounds to the body. He was rushed to the KHMH, where he was pronounced dead on arrival. Investigations so far have revealed that Gillett was walking on North Front Street, from the direction of Mapp Street, when a car pulled up and shots were fired from the car, fatally wounding him. Police have launched an investigation into the matter. We have 2 persons detained so far, and a motive has not been established as yet."

Dillon Grinage Was Weekend's First Murder
And the last murder to report tonight was the weekend's first. It happened in Sandhill on Saturday night. Dillon Grinage was sitting near a food shop at the Maskall junction when a gunman snuck up from behind and shot him. Reports are that his murder was as a result of a disagreement between Grinage and his shooter. Police gave us more details today in a press conference. Grinage's grandmother also told us how difficult it will be for her now without him. ACP Edward Broaster, OC, Rural Eastern Division: "On Saturday, the 31st of December, the Rural Eastern Division received reports of a person who was shot at the junction of the Old Northern Highway and the Philip Goldson Highway. This occurred at about 9:10 p.m. When police arrived on the scene they saw a male person with gunshot wounds to his body, and they tried to rush him to the hospital, but he was pronounced dead on arrival. Our investigation revealed that the deceased, Dillon Grinage, was seated with another male person when the lone gunman came from a northerly direction and fired several shots at them, where they were seated at Analee's Food Shop. The deceased received 6 gunshot wounds, and we have mounted, since then, a manhunt for the suspect, who was caught yesterday. We are doing some follow-up, and more-than-likely, he will be charged today for murder. The evidence that we have gathered so far, led us to that individual."

Cops Try To Contain Crime Spike
So, it's a very violent start for the New Year, and coming off 2016 which saw 137 murders, or a 15% increase, the police are under pressure to reign in the violence. Today the 3 commanders of Eastern Division told us what they plan to do:... ACP Chester Williams - OC, Eastern Division South: "Yes, the way the year began is of concern, and rightfully so. Three murders in 2 days is way too much, and I will take the opportunity now to assure the residents of Southside Belize City that Southside Belize City will be safer than it was last year. The police production will be better than it was last year, as well. We have tried a new approach to policing, which will continue, but while we embark on that new approach. I will send sound warning to those persons who have not taken advantage of the 1 year and 6 months to decide whether or not they want to change their lifestyle, that the style of policing will be changed where they are concerned. In the sense that, you cannot be out there on one hand, committing crime, and pushing others to commit crime, and on the other hand, think that you can call me and I will rescue or I'll take the police off your back. That will not happen. I have given my strike team new directions this morning, and like Mr. Broaster said, the criminals will be complaining more of the police. It is not my style to brutalize people. So police brutality is surely out of the window. The officers will be out there in a more aggressive manner in the gang ridden neighborhoods, conducting stop and search, of them, their vehicles, motorcycles, whatever they're seen on. They will be harassed by the police until they get the message."

Former Speaker Is New AG
Former House Speaker Michael Peyrefitte was today sworn in as Attorney General. In a double move, Peyrefitte vacates the House Speaker's seat, which he has held since 2012 - and immediately takes up the post left by Vanessa Retreage, who is returning to private life. Peyrefitte was known as a sometimes quick-tempered House Speaker - and he clashed many times with the often-combative PUP Representative Julius Espat. In August that famously culminated in Espat's forcible ejection from the House under Peyrefitte's order. That rift still has not been mended, and, now, the task of making it right falls to the new speaker Laura Longsworth. Peyrefitte will now be a member of the upper house, as he also takes up Retreage's vacant post as Senator. Peyrefitte will now have a seat in Cabinet - and he leaves his private practice as an attorney.

Two Killed In Teakettle Fatal
Two Cayo men were killed on New Year's Eve when their motorbikes had a head on collision. It happened on New Year's Eve at around 6:00 pm between miles 53 and 54 on the Western Highway, which is the stretch between Teakettle and Ontario villages. 24 year old Honduran construction worker, Byron Reyes and 16 year old Belizean Devon Reyes were riding their motorbikes in opposite direction when they ran into each other. The media spoke via phone with the sisters of Devon Reyes about what they know about the incident. Leticia Reyes, Sister of Deceased: "Last night just before my brother died I was talking to him. I was at home at the back standing by the door when they were coming from behind the bush, him and my little cousin. He asked 'sis what did you cook?'. I told him I already cooked stew beans with beef and white rice. He said 'give me some then' so I said 'you begged too late its done already' then he said 'anyways thanks'. He walked away and turned around and said 'sister you haven't even given me a Christmas gift; I want a new year's gift from you'. He went back across to my cousin's house. By the time I came down the hill to my mom, he was standing out in the road. We were sitting when my next brother passed on bicycle and said 'you guys are here laughing when your brother just died?'. I said 'what? no, "grandpa" (Devon Reyes) isn't dead'. That is how they called him. My brother in law was here the same time so we went to check if it's true. By the time we arrived and saw the police lights we saw the accident when we jumped out and saw the same cycle he left on."

Ex US Marine Wanted For US Murder, Suspected To Be In Belize
Ex US Marine, Raymond McLeod, is currently wanted by the San Diego Police for the murder of his girlfriend, Krystal Mitchell. Mitchell, was found dead in the apartment of an acquaintance, and was last seen alive in Mcleod's company. That was in June, and according to reports, McLeod fled to Belize through Mexico. And now they want your help to find him. In a bulleting sent out by the US Embassy in Belmopan, San Diego police say he is likely to frequent gyms and is possibly working in construction. They also say that he suffers Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from his time as a Marine and may have access to weapons. McLeod was last seen in Placencia. If anyone has any information on his whereabouts, they can contact Crime Stoppers Belize, their local police station or the US Embassy.

Weed In Septic Tank
As we told you earlier, the GSU found a grenade today on Faber's Road. But that wasn't all they did. They also conducted a search in an abandoned lot on Jane Usher Boulevard. During the search, the officers checked the contents of a septic tank on the lot where they discovered a knapsack containing four bags of cannabis, altogether weighing about 14 ounces. No one was area where the drugs were found so they were labelled as Found Property.

Another City Murder
And before we continue tonight, we can report that another shooting has occurred. It happened just a few minutes ago on Holy Emanuel Street in the St. Martin's Area. A man was shot multiple times. We'll have more on this later in the news.

The New Year's New Baby
The first baby of the new year at the KHMH was born just a few seconds after midnight. She is Kelcey Garnett - but regrettably, her mother was too shy to talk to the media today. So we did talk to the father of the second baby. He is 8 pound 7 ounce, Zander Steven Canto and he was born at 3:04 am on Sunday morning. His parents are from Caye Caulker, and his dad Mario says the baby was due on boxing day, but he held off until New Year's. Here's how he put it:... The San Cas Group also left packages for other new mothers in the ward. Their program of gift hampers for newborns also extends to the districts.

KREM Cycling Classic, Who's A Contender
And while all those new years babies brought joy to their families, Belize's elite cyclists were in pain on the northern highway - riding into a difficult headwind to see who would claim the fame of being first, and the fortune of accumulating the most station prizes in the KREM New Year's Day Cycling classic. The race is seen as one of the most important classics leading up to the cross country, because it immediately separates the contenders from the pretenders. Our Codie Norales was out on the road:...

Dramatic Sprint In Women's Race
And while Ron Vasquez beat his competition by five minutes, the winner of the junior race, Shaun Codd, was about four and a half minutes ahead of his competition. The only dramatic sprint for first came in the female race where Alicia Thompson edged out Kaya Cattouse in a spectacular burst of speed.

Re: Today's Belize News: January 4, 2017 [Re: Marty] #520657
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP

Channel 5

Randolph Johnson Killed in Afternoon City Murder
2016 closed with a record number of murders, one thirty-seven persons were killed by December thirty-first. The carnage at the start of 2017 shows no signs of letting up so [...]

Robert Gillett Shot Dead on North Front Street
Prior to the murder of Randolph Johnson this afternoon, twenty-eight-year-old Robert Gillett was executed on North Front Street around midday on Monday. Police have not ruled out that it may [...]

Grenade Recovered from Near Cumberbatch Field by G.S.U.
The discovery of a live M26 fragmentation hand grenade this morning, by personnel attached to the Gang Suppression Unit, continues to draw attention to an exceptionally violent and bloody New [...]

Schools Re-Open; Where Are the Teachers?
Across the country, teachers were not in classrooms in response to a call from the Belize National Teachers Union. The latest dispute between the B.N.T.U. and the Ministry of Education [...]

Recent Inmate Kenneth Dobson is Another Murder Victim
The New Year continued with a second murder on Monday night. Thirty-one-year-old Kenneth Dobson was shot and killed while he socialized with friends on Raccoon Street Extension. The Belize City [...]

Colin Sutherland was Belize’s First Murder Victim in 2017
Twenty-two-year-old Colin Sutherland was shot and killed as he walked on Youth For the Future Drive on New Year’s Day. A man got out of a vehicle and fired several [...]

Murder in Sandhill; Socializing Dillon Grinage Killed before New Year
While families celebrated the holidays, others grieved as criminals took over the streets. In Ladyville, Belize District, twenty-five year old Dillon Grinage was executed at a local food stall by [...]

Fetus Found Stuffed in Large Coffee Bottle Near Mopan River
The New Year is considered a time for new beginnings, mostly summarized with the appearances of babies. But one baby boy didn’t make it to 2017. Benque Viejo Police were [...]

“Miss Belize” Departs for Philippines – Rebecca Rath Considered a Favourite
There’s some good news to report tonight amid all the crime…With the Miss Universe 2017 pageant just weeks away in Philippines, Rebecca Rath, our Miss Belize, left earlier today to [...]

Michael Peyrefitte Steps Up as Attorney General
Heading over to Belmopan…the first order of official business at Belize House this morning was the swearing-in of Michael Peyrefitte as Attorney General. Peyrefitte took the oath before Governor General [...]

Welcoming the Newest Belizeans in 2017
There’s another reason to celebrate. The first baby to be born this year is baby Kelsey Garnett. She was delivered at twelve on Sunday morning weighing seven pounds six ounces. [...]

Frank Young Charged, But He Insists He Did Not Kill David Andrews
They hung out together, but police believe that twenty-year-old Frank Alexander Young decided to kill nineteen year old David Andrews on December twenty-third on Racoon Street, for unknown reasons. As [...]

Massive Motorcycle Crash Snuffs Out 2 Young Lives in Teakettle
In addition to over one hundred and thirty lives lost to violence, by guns or other means, the highways and other roads also exacted a heavy toll. Though we were [...]

Ex-Marine Turned Accused Killer May Be Hiding in Belize
The US Embassy has issued a bulletin seeking information on the whereabouts of U.S. national Raymond Samuel McLeod Junior, who is wanted in connection with the murder of Krystal Mitchell [...]

Sports Tuesday: Belmopan Bandits Are Premier League Champions
Good evening, I’m James Adderley and this is Sports Monday.   {Feature on weekend sporting activities….}

CTV3

Teachers Country Wide Stay Away From Classrooms
The gates of most Primary and Secondary schools remained closed here in Orange Walk today, contrary to what had been decided by the Ministry of Education and Managers of Pre, Primary and Secondary schools who decided that classes were to resume today, January 3rd to make up time for BNTU’s eleven day strike in October of last year. While the Ministry and school managers remained intent on having schools re-open today, BNTU held their ground and as mentioned in Friday’s newscast following a meeting, BNTU Orange Walk unanimously agreed to take their full Christmas break and go back to the classroom until January 9th as stipulated in the education rules. Based on what we observed today it is safe to say that parents and teachers continue to support the union. Our news team visited various primary and high schools today and only found a couple operational. The gates at Trial Farm Government, Chapels, Salomons, San Francisco and La Inmaculada Primary Schools were padlocked and no one was present. While St. Peters Primary School was open, classrooms were locked up. Louisiana Government School was open with 54 students in class out of the over nine hundred.

Teachers In Corozal Ditch The Classrooms
The Belize National Teacher’s Union’s insistence that classes should open on January 9th instead of the Ministry of education’s advised date –January 3rd – seems to have been resoundingly accepted by teachers and even parents at most schools in Corozal also. We found nearly 80% of schools closed or with insufficient number of students or teachers to hold regular classes. We found closed Corozal Methodist School, Guadalupe RC Primary School, San Antonio Government School, Mary Hill R.C., and Xaibe Government School. We found St. Francis Xavier open with a significant number of students in attendance. Corozal Community College resumed classes as scheduled with students showing up. In Paraiso Village the school was open for classes, but only 5 of 12 teachers reported and about 20 students.

Corozal Resident Knocked Down
A Ranchito family has started the New Year with some terrible news after their loved one passed away in a road traffic accident on Monday evening just outside Xaibe Village. 47 year old Valdemar Cawich, better known to his friends as “Baby”, was driving his red motorcycle with Corozal license plate M-0515 from Patchakan Village to Xaibe Village around 5:30pm on Monday January 2nd when at this curve, he lost control of the cycle and was thrown off, landing face first onto the road side. Reports from authorities that the injuries to Cawich’s face were so severe that he died shortly after impact and could not be identified by his facial features. His identity was confirmed until they found an I.D. card on the body. Cawich had reportedly been socialising and taking a few drinks with friends earlier in the day, which is suspected to have been one of the reasons he lost control of the cycle at the curve.

Former Speaker Of The House Sworn In As New Attorney General
This morning Hon. Michael Peyrefitte was sworn-in as Attorney General before the Governor General of Belize, H.E. Sir Colville Young at the Belize House in Belmopan. The former Speaker of the House of Representatives succeeds Senator Hon. Vanessa Retreage who demitted office in December 2016 after serving as Attorney General for one year and as Minister of Natural Resources for approximately four months. Peyrefitte served in the capacity of Speaker of the House of Representatives since his election in 2012 and taking over his position is Laura Longsworth. Of note is that in October 2016, Peyrefitte had filed a lawsuit against the then Attorney General Vanessa Retreage and the Auditor General Dorothy Bradley. The new Attorney General was accompanied this morning by family, friends, Ministers of Government, the Cabinet Secretary and His Worship the Mayor of Belize City.

LOVE FM

Teacher Gets Shot in Seine Bight
A 32-year-old teacher is recovering from a gunshot wound to the foot in southern Belize. The Dangriga woman was visiting friends in Seine Bight Village, Stann Creek District and was talking to a cousin near Nautical Inn when they heard noises resembling the sound of pop-shots. Those noises turned out to be gunshots; moments later […]

Pump Action on Partridge
A 12 gauge pump action shot gun was found this morning by Belize City Police. Officers attached to Eastern Division South located the firearm on Partridge Street. No one was in the immediate area at the time of the search so the shot gun was taken to the station where it was stored as ‘found […]

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Another man killed in Belize City; 5th murder of 2017
The dangerous streets of the old capital have claimed another life. The fifth murder in only three days of the New Year 2017. Reports are that the victim was shot a short while ago in the Holy Emmanuel area of Belize City. Information to […]

Shooting in Belize City this afternoon
Reports reaching our newsroom is that a man was shot a short while ago near Belize Waste Control on the George Price Highway in Belize City. The victim has been identified as 19-year-old Randolph Johnson also known as “Tunups” of the Lake Independence area […]

Outgoing Speaker of the House sworn in as new Attorney General
Today, Michael Peyrefitte was sworn in as Attorney General before the Governor General of Belize, H.E. Sir Colville Young at the Belize House in Belmopan. Peyrefitte takes on his new role after serving in the capacity of Speaker of the House of Representatives since […]

GOB and UN sign United Nations Multi-Country Sustainable Development Framework (UN MSDF)
Today, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued a press release informing that Minister Wilfred Elrington and the United Nations Resident Coordinator in Belize, Christian Salazar Volkmann, signed the United Nations Multi-country Sustainable Development Framework (UN MSDF) at a brief ceremony held in Belize City […]

Fetus found on river bank in Benque Viejo?
According to police reports, on Saturday evening, December 31, 2016 around 4:15, acting upon information received, Benque Viejo Police visited an area along the banks of the Mopan River on Riverside Street, Benque Viejo Town, where they saw a large transparent coffee glass bottle […]

GSU remove grenade off the streets of Belize City
Reports reaching our newsroom are that the Gang Suppression Unit (GSU) found a grenade this morning around 9 by the Yabra area in Belize City. The grenade has since been transported to experts from the Belize Defense Force for examination. No one has been […]

Southside cops take shotgun off City streets
In light of the bloody New Year weekend, south side cops in Belize City have managed to take a gun off the streets, their first for the year. Acting on intelligence, the police conducted a search this morning at around 12:30 in an undisclosed […]

Blogs

Wildtracks blog: How one Google search changed my life...
It's easier to continue with a life you might consider comfortable, than deal with the uncertainty of disruptions. I had drifted down this path that most would consider successful. But for me, I spent one too many mornings unhappy, dreading the day ahead. I literally felt like I was living the dream life of somebody else and I kept asking myself, "how did I get here?" I needed a change, but what? Once I was ready to take the leap, that's where the Google search came to be. "Volunteering with Manatees". Why? It was the first thing I was ever passionate about - saving manatees from extinction. Fast-forward 7 months, after quitting my job, leaving NYC and traveling for the first 3 months of my "freedom", I found myself at Wildtracks. I remember walking in to chaos at breakfast and not knowing what to expect. After a few days of getting acclimated, I was asked if I'd like to go meet Annie, a one year old howler monkey, in the nursery. I thought "What am I doing meeting a baby monkey? I came here for manatees...", but of course I kept this to myself. I can still remember the first time Annie climbed into my lap and purred. It was like nothing I've ever experienced in my life. And from that moment I knew, my life would never be the same....

International Sourcesizz

Meet the Central American Women the United States Is Detaining and Deporting
"Neither El Salvador, Guatemala, nor Honduras averages fewer than 31 murders for every 100,000. The region has the highest rate of violent killing in the world but for the deadliest war zones. “When you have refugee conditions, and people are really in peril of their lives, there's no such thing as creating a 'deterrent.' And then you’re taking a traumatized population and you’re re-traumatizing them through what can only be described as prison, using euphemistic terms like ‘family detention.'”

Passports for Sale
The following script is from “Passports for Sale,” which aired on Jan. 1, 2017. Steve Kroft is the correspondent. Graham Messick and Evie Salomon, producer. If you have been thinking about leaving the United States, moving to another country and changing your nationality, it’s never been easier to do. In this era of globalization, citizenship and passports have become just another commodity to be bought and sold on the international market. All you need is money and a willingness to contribute a few hundred thousand dollars to the treasury of a cash-starved country or acquire a piece of real estate there. It’s called citizenship by investment and it’s become a $2 billion industry built around people looking for a change of scenery or a change of passport, a new life or maybe a new identity, a getaway from the rat race, or perhaps an escape from an ex-spouse or Interpol. In any event, it’s brought in huge amounts of revenue for the sellers and attracted among the buyers a rogue’s gallery of scoundrels, fugitives, tax cheats, and possibly much worse. If you’re shopping for another passport, the top of the line right now is Malta. By investing a million dollars in this Mediterranean island, a Russian or Chinese or a Saudi can become a European citizen with a new EU passport that will allow them to travel just about anywhere without a visa. There are also much cheaper, less discriminating alternatives available in the Caribbean, especially on the tiny island of Dominica, where Lennox Linton is a member of Parliament.

Vote for Your Favorite Caribbean Dive Site!
Happy New Year! Belize has been nominated in the latest 10Best Readers' Choice travel award contest, which just launched today! An expert panel selected Belize as a contender for Best Caribbean Dive Site. The contest, being promoted by USA TODAY, gives voters four weeks to vote for the candidate of their choice. A person can vote once a day for the duration of the contest.

International & Nationwide Sale, Southwest Airlines
Low fares on flights. Our friends at Southwest Airlines have a sale to Belize on right now. As little as $126usd each way .

The top travel destinations for 2017
Once you've eaten all the latkes and played all the board games, youre going to need another way to fill the bank holidays. And when its cold and grey outside, whats better than planning your holidays for next year? Here's our hot list of the top travel destinations for 2017. There’s nothing like a new flight route to catapult a destination to everyone’s attention and Belize is the latest, getting a direct route from Heathrow with American Airlines last month, saving those precious holiday days previously spent in transit in the USA or Mexico. Around the same size as Israel, you can also pack plenty into a trip once you arrive — jungle, Mayan civilisations, snorkelling and diving on the world’s second largest barrier reef to name a few. Family travel specialists Stubborn Mule have tipped it as their top destination for family adventure too.

Videos

• San Pedro's 1st Parade of 2017, 2.5min. Congrats to San Pedro High School ... 1st ever Female Basketball National Championship

• New Year in Caye Caulker, Belize, 5min. Caye Caulker - an island 30 km off the coast of Belize is considered a backpackers' paradise. Laid-back, with good vibe and excellent seafood its motto is Go Slow.

• Belize Raptor Research Institute - Hawkwatch Certification Program, 9min. The Belize Raptor Research Institute (BRRI) is a non-profit organization that strives to protect Neotropical raptors in Belize through research, education, and partnerships.

• Craig and Modupe's Belize Dive Part II, 5min.

• First Day in Belize Diving Highlights, 4.5min.

• Belize 2k16, 4min.

• Orca Whale breaching in Southern Belize! Watch the Killer Whale get very very close to the skiff!!!, 1min.

• News 5 - Top 10 Stories 2016, 1hr2min.

• FORMER U S MARINE WANTED FOR MURDER HINDING IN BELIZE, 3min. Investigators from the San Diego Police Department’s Homicide Unit and San Diego Crime Stoppers are asking for the help of Belizeans finding a man wanted for the murder of his girlfriend Krystal Mitchell 30 years of age who was found lifeless in an apartment in Allied Gardens on June 10th 2016. Thirty two year old Raymond McLeod is believed to have fled to Belize via Mexico and was last seen in Placencia, Stann Creek, Belize. He is said to frequent gyms and may be working in construction. Mcleod is described as a white Male, 5 Feet, 11 Inches in height and weighing 245 pounds. McLeod, also known as “RJ”, is a former Marine with PTSD and may have access to weapons.

• Rotaract Club New Year’s resolution run, 5.5min. New Year’s Eve was spent a little differently here in Orange Walk this year as the first ever New Year’s resolution run, organized by the Rotaract club of Orange Walk got into full effect on Saturday morning. The run which saw the participation of both the young and young at heart kicked off in front of the Town Hall before the break of dawn.

• KREM Cross Country 2016, 6.5min.

• The Year of Adventure, 1min. Our first issue of 2017 will be released on Friday, January 6th and it going to be one filled with adventure! From sky diving to hermit crab races, in this January issue of My Beautiful Belize we explore just a few of the many adventures our country has to offer.

• Belize Zoo - Jaguar Encounter, 3min.

• Orcas breaching the waters of southern Belize, 2min.

• Brooke & Chandler go to Belize, 24min. I made this video of our honeymoon in Belize

• SAN PEDRO, Belize (aerial)(long) - December, 2016, 20min.

• SAN PEDRO, Belize (aerial)(short) - December, 2016, 7.5min.

• Belize Adventure, 26min. Hol Chan Marine Reserve, Actun Tunichil Muknal (ATM) Cave, Lamanai Mayan Site and New River.

• Orcas breaching southern Beliz, 3min.

• Links
    Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
    Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
    Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!

Things to do

News
    Daily News
    Daily Weather

Classified Ads
    BelizeNews.com
    San Pedro Sun
    Ambergris Today
    SP Town Council
    Channel 7
    Channel 5
    Amandala
    ReefTV
    Love FM
    The Reporter
    PLUS TV
    TV Newscasts
    Radio Stations

Click for our
    Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
    Event Calendar
    Specials & Events
    Things to Do
    SanPedroScoop
    iTravel Belize
    Paradise Theater
    Paradise Guy Event Calendar

Blogs
    San Pedro Scoop!
    Tia Chocolate
    Tacogirl
    My Beautiful Belize
    I-Travel Belize
    Belize Adventure
    Belize Hub
    Romantic Travel
    Bound for Belize
    Conch Creative
    As The Coconuts Drop
    More Blogs...
    Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
    White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
    Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
    We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
    Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
    Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
    Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
    October
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30 31
    Cayo Espanto
    Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
    More Links
    Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
    Mini Chat
    Who's Online Now
    1 registered members (1 invisible), 166 guests, and 10 spiders.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Forum Statistics
    Forums44
    Topics67,756
    Posts471,717
    Members19,274
    Most Online1,262
    Jun 10th, 2007

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
    BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
    BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
    BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
    and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.