Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#52075 03/20/02 06:26 PM
N
OP Offline
N
We're planning our first trip to AC in early June and read great things about the lodging at Villas of Banyan, but not much about their dive shop/operator. Anyone have experience with them? Are there any sites with ratings and references for the dive operators in AC? We're looking to dive at least 4-5 days, including at least one trip to the outer atolls...

#52076 03/20/02 08:19 PM
D
D
Check out Barefoot Watersports. They are located one dock over from the Belize Yacht Club. My wife and I and a few friends have dove with them many times over the past few years and they are great! They have the largest and nicest boats on A.C. IHMO They will pick you up at your hotels dock, or the nearest one to it, and you only have to set your gear up one time ( and that's just because they want to make sure you know how) after that you can leave it with them for your entire stay. They thoroughly rinsed all of our gear daily and it was set up and ready for us the next time we wanted to dive.To me thats worth alot! E-mail Mike and Dawn for details.Here is thier web address: http://www.barefootwatersports.net Hope this helps.
Have fun and Dive Safe!

Ron

#52077 03/21/02 08:41 AM
B
B
Last time (and our first time!) we were on AC we dove with Bottom Time Dive Shop and could not have been happier. We will be there again next month and plan to use them again. I give the shop an A+++++!

#52078 03/21/02 09:13 AM
i ask again, diveron, i have tried to email dawn at barefoot, but to no response. do you know if she is there?

#52079 03/21/02 10:43 AM
C
C
I will put my 2 cents in for Amigos Del Mar. We dove with them last year, and will go with them again in a few weeks. Very personable staff, and felt safe with them. Had a wonderful time with them--did 2tank dives for 4 days and then the Blue hole trip.

#52080 03/21/02 11:29 AM
(never mind, she found me!)

#52081 03/21/02 01:12 PM
F
F
We were in AC in Feb. of this year and were thrilled to find Ambergris Divers right outside our door when we arrived. It is just a few minutes walk north of Banyon Bay.
They were great and have a wonderful new boat for the longer trips.
They gave us a discount off posted prices for using them a few times.
Give them a try...you can't go wrong!!!

#52082 03/23/02 12:27 PM
D
dec Offline
D
I second Frozen North on Ambergris Divers. We spent a week diving with them in mid-March. They were very professional, very safe but also fun to be out on the water with. The Blue hole trip is spectacular - a must-see. They have one of the fastest boats on the island. Since the Blue Hole is 50-60 miles out this makes a big difference in the trip time. It's about a 2 hr ride, but we beat two other boats back to the island by about 30 minutes.

Roberto at Ambergris divers was great, and we liked all of the divemasters we went out with - Edgar, Adolfo and Jerome especially. You can reach them at ambergrisdivers@btl.net . Like most of the other shops they will pick you up at the dock outside your hotel and bring you to the shop.

#52083 03/24/02 06:10 PM
S
S
You will find most are quite profesional in AC. I tend not to pre-book when going to places; my number 1 criteria is a big heavy boat with two big engines, then I look at the BC's as I refuse to carry all that stuff with me.

AquaDives have nice Belize boats. I don't recommend them for beginners. Lowest on the friendly attitude rating at the shop but you'll find the dive masters are friendly pro's.

Amigos Del Mar: I can't remember their boats. I did a night dive with them two years ago and that boat had one engine and was filled to the gills with divers. Friendliest service in town and with a professional feel. Also top $ for prices.

Barefoot has a nice boat parked out front but I don't know if it's for diving. Never talked to them, sorry.

This year I used Ambergris Divers. Great cruiser (3 engines), excellent divermasters, and nice equipment (fairly new). Because of their nice boat other dive operations will send divers to them on windy days when the only place to go it the walls or blue hole so they book up quickly. I had no problems (did 4 trips/10 dives). Reasonable price and over all, excellent value for the money. I find most dive operations are fine so I've never used the same one twice. I will use this operation when I return in 2 years. I'll post a review in a few days + of my trip.

#52084 03/24/02 07:54 PM
Amigos del Mar has a variety of boats, some smaller and some larger. They also have a beautiful new cruiser for the Blue Hole trips. I can't say enough good things about them. Most of their captains, DM's and other staff has been with them for years. They run a top notch operation and are probably the preeminent shop on the island.

It does sound like they are going to get a run for their money from Ambergris Divers though, doesn't it? Well, we'll see. Others have come and gone, not that I wish anyone ill. I just know that things have been hard on the island, this year especially.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 372 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.