Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#517696 09/21/16 01:01 AM
E
OP Offline
E
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a lot on the island. I am not ready to build just yet, but doing some background research so I know what to expect. My lot is on the northern part of the island and the land would need to be cleared before building. I am wondering what the approximate cost of clearing land is and an estimate of the number of hours it would take to clear land for 9000 Sq feet? Also looking for recommendations on reputable companies to do this as well as reputable builders. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am pretty new to this and trying to figure out where to begin and somewhat of an idea of the costs involved. I am assuming any equipment would need to be brought in on a barge or something as there is currently still limited road access (but it's getting there!)

Thanks in advance!

Land clearing is generally best done by manual labour. That way you can save the vegetation you want and the soil remains more intact. Usually costs less that way as well. Cost for clearing varies depending on how dense the vegetation is.
Recommend not doing anything until time to build as it will just grow back. Your builder can probably arrange the clearing of the land.

E
OP Offline
E
Thanks Diane,

Any recommendations for builders? Are most companies fairly honest and straight forward in their business dealings? Anything you would watch out for with regards to choosing a builder or advice on HOW to find or choose a reputable builder?

E
OP Offline
E
At least with manual labour, although the time taken to clear land will be longer, the cost of moving large pieces of equipment up north won't be an issue. That's good to know. Plus I didn't like the idea of just bulldozing all the trees...I would LOVE to keep what I can! smile

You want to hire a builder who us currently active and currently competent. Further, you need one who builds the style you want in the area you want to build.
When it is time to build, check recently completed homes in your area and take a look at the results....

E
OP Offline
E
Thanks Diane, I appreciate the advice!

AND you need to be on site every day!

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
P
P
I live on the north part of the island and have had contractors build my house and clear the land. Contact me if you need current accurate information.

J
JEL Offline
J
Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
AND you need to be on site every day!

You really do not need to be on site along as you find a competent builder. We had Graniels build our house while we were away. They either took pictures for us on a Friday or the following Monday. We always got pictures every week to keep us updated on the status of the build.

A
A
I strongly disagree with JEL. We spent 8 months building a home with a very competent builder and we were on site every day. And every day there were items to discuss and decisions to be made. We also had a webcam on the site and could watch the construction from anywhere with internet access. Photos, and video, are nice, but no substitute for being there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.