Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#520988 - 01/18/17 04:54 AM bugs  
tazh2o Offline
tazh2o  Offline
ok gang as I recall the island has a home brew bug repellent my wife seems to have a target on her any ideas please

#520990 - 01/18/17 06:34 AM Re: bugs [Re: tazh2o]  
Diane Campbell Offline
Diane Campbell  Offline
Some people use Skin-so-Soft the Avon product.
Personally I go for the deet when things get bad.
My own experience was that when I arrived on the island I was sensitive to bugs and was a mess. After a little while my body stopped reacting and now I never get so much as a bump from most bug bites. Hang in there, bug season is nearly over for the winter.

#520991 - 01/18/17 07:05 AM Re: bugs [Re: tazh2o]  
Noelle Offline
Noelle  Offline
On Caye Caulker the woman who owns Red Flower gallery makes an astonishingly good bug repellent that actually smells great. She uses traditional Maya bug repellent ingredients tweaked by her biochemistry background. I use it to walk my dogs on the buggiest part of the island and it works really well.

#520992 - 01/18/17 07:06 AM Re: bugs [Re: tazh2o]  
Noelle Offline
Noelle  Offline
PS. to stop the itching take the OTC allergy med Zyrtec. It works way better than benedryl and doesn't make you drowsy.

#521004 - 01/19/17 12:41 AM Re: bugs [Re: tazh2o]  
Diane Campbell Offline
Diane Campbell  Offline
Best stop-itch preparation is "Itch Away", a local potion. Apply topically. Works like a dream, pretty much instantly. It is cold-pressed hemp oil. Available in most gift shops and pharmacies.

#521007 - 01/19/17 01:00 AM Re: bugs [Re: Diane Campbell]  
ragman Offline
ragman  Offline
"Itch Away" is inexpensive and works better and faster than anything I've seen.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
#521011 - 01/19/17 01:13 AM Re: bugs [Re: tazh2o]  
katzgar Offline
katzgar  Offline
the most effective tested product for mosquitos is DEET. Ultrathon was developed for the army and has a slow releases feature so it lasts for up to 12 hours.

#521012 - 01/19/17 01:38 AM Re: bugs [Re: tazh2o]  
Judyann H. Offline
Judyann H.  Offline
Every now and then we hear about a dear unsuspecting person who got caught off guard and used as a pin cushion for the No see-ums and Mosquitoes..... Both love me and probably always will, however they have not chased me from the island...... Most of the year I don't need anything at all other than to avoid undeveloped sandy places at dusk and dawn. However, during bug season the Sawyers Ultrathon works all day, it is a lotion applied once and forgotten about. In the event I get caught without it and get a few bites the two things that work immediately are Windex or Pure Rubbing Alcohol. Then a little Hydrocortisone over the next few days gets rid of the marks.... Hope this helps.

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
Paradise Guy Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
February
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Mini Chat
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 241 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics66,284
Posts468,001
Members19,046
Most Online1,262
Jun 10th, 2007

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.