Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
Hey all -

I was wondering if anyone could give me a quick rundown on mow much it costs to import things into Belize. First would be my possessions, maybe a couple crates worth of items flown in by something like FedEx or DHL. Basic stuff like clothes, small electronics, etc.

Piggybacking on the first question, how heavily are items ordered off the internet taxed, and how are those costs determined? Say if I bought a printer on Amazon and with shipping it came out to $100 (all hypothetical), how much would it cost me if I lived in Belize? Are different items taxes in different ways? Who gets paid and how do I do it?

I've heard bringing items into the country is expensive so I'd like to know where I stand. Thanks in advance!

Contact a customs broker. Duties vary widely by item and age. This site won't give you specifics you can count on.

J
OP Offline
J
Hey Diane -

Thanks for the quick reply and I'll take your advice. Do you have any experience with any of what I described? At this point I'm looking for more of a ballpark than anything concrete.

S
S
Shipping by FedEx or DHL will break the bank; even small packages can run upwards of $100 by FedEx. Ship by Hyde or one of the many expediters (Google "shipping to Belize").

J
OP Offline
J
Yeah, that's what I was worried about. Thanks for the heads up and the follow through.

R
ron Offline
R
Every item has its own duty cost. Bring in fishing poles and you pay 12.5% GST plus 2% environmental tax, no duty. An Outboard motor the same taxes plus 5% duty. Batteries are 35% duty plus the taxes. Used items the customs inspector will come up with a value. I've used Hyde to ship stuff for years. Usually takes about a week for your stuff to arrive at the Port of Belize after Hyde gets your stuff at their warehouse in Miami. Any shipment under $3,000BZ you can clear yourself, more then that you need a customs broker. I usually clear thing myself, takes about half a day although if they are busy could take all day.

Amazon is a life saver for us, particularly on items we cannot get here such as parts for our equipment. There are lots of options; sometimes (if the timing is right) a friend we'll bring down our items,...you can also use our local Mailboxes Etc. that has a delivery address in Miami if you need it within 2 weeks.....On items we do not have to have in a timely manner we use.... www.belizefreight.com And yes, I'm with Simon it will break the bank to use FedEx or DHL carriers.... Hope it helps....

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
I agree with Judyann. We use Amazon for all sorts of useful things. The shipping courier service we use is Belize Sidasheari. You can reach them through their Facebook page Belize Sidasheari

They are helpful, prompt and reasonable. They do both air and sea freight. Their warehouse is in Miami.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

K
K
Amazon has a shipping service on their website. Keep in mind stuff rusts quickly near the ocean and wood furniture brought down will warp badly. Serious surge protection is really important for electronics.

Originally Posted by katzgar
Amazon has a shipping service on their website. Keep in mind stuff rusts quickly near the ocean and wood furniture brought down will warp badly. Serious surge protection is really important for electronics.

Actually wood furniture requires an import permit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 328 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.