1 loaf Brioche or Challah bread, sliced 3/4-inch thick (fresh or semi-stale)
4 large eggs
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup whole milk
1/3 cup heavy cream
3-5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
10 oz. (1 1/4 stick) unsalted butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1-3 tablespoons water
4-5 bananas, thickly sliced on the diagonal
3/4 cup pecansMethod
1. Preheat oven to 200ļ F.
2. In a large pan over medium heat, melt 1 1/4 stick butter. When itís bubbly, whisk in brown sugar and stir until it dissolves.
3. If it needs more smoothing out, add water, a little bit at a time, until youíve reached your desired consistency.
4. Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens. Cover, remove from heat and set aside.
5. In a large bowl, beat eggs and yolks together. Then stir in milk and heavy cream, and add cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla.
6. One at a time, soak each piece of bread in egg mixture, making sure to coat both sides and giving each slice a few seconds to absorb liquid. Let excess liquid drip back into bowl.
7. Heat a large pan over medium-high heat and melt 2 tablespoons butter. In batches, transfer bread to hot pan and cook until golden brown on both sides. 4-6 minutes total. (Add more butter when needed to grease the pan.)
8. Place cooked pieces in a large baking dish and set in oven to keep warm.
9. Return caramel sauce to medium heat and add in banana slices and pecans. Toss well to coat them completely and serve on top of French toast.