Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#522484 03/22/17 12:11 PM
OP Offline
We were approached a couple of months ago by a person (we had had previous contact regarding PBC) saying that he was representing Palm Bay Club and a developer that was building in that area. We were sort of asked if we were interested in investing and there was mention of an airstrip. Of course we thought it was some sort of scam but we replied to the emails anyway.

The person(s) that initially emailed us has not followed up much but the company listed seems OK and has a website with developments in different areas of the world. The company is registered in Florida.

Can anyone there on Ambergris Caye tell me whether there is development at that end of the island? How does one find permits that were issued for development on the island?

Thanks in advance.

"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."
Albert Einstein
Sounds unlikely, but times change and someday somebody will pop up and do something.
The potential new airstrip is near Basil Jones (actually an old dirt runway that would be reopened) and is still a long way from PBC. No timeline or reality to those airstrip discussions at present.
It's a long way to PBC and the journey takes you either around the back of the island or outside the reef. Gas is expensive so expect a big bill for a trip to the area. Very beautiful land, but present location presents major issues.

I was at Sueno del Mar 2 weeks ago, I was walking the grounds with the care taker and he informed me that it was sold the week before at the bank auction for 3.6M and another 2.5M to be invested to refurbish it. The road north, is as far north as the rear of El Secreto. The small boutique resort called Playa del Sol has broken ground on its expansion as well. Things are alive and well to the north.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
Playa Del Sol and Suenos Del Mar are many, many miles away from Palm Bay Beach Club.

OP Offline
My guess from the information provided here, the few emails I have received from the person, having done minimal research and the website of the reported developer; is that he is a speculative investor/developer. He reports as being in the final planning stages of 3 resort style homes on the beach and its likely that the firm is hoping that investment begets investment. Though this is exciting and may get some development further north I am concerned that this kind of excitement may cause inappropriate development. Or worse, development that does not comply with strict standards of conservation for the island.

The new homes are being represented by an agent in San Pedro though there is nothing that I can find on their real estate website about the homes, their prices, or the development. We've spent ten years watching and waiting, I suppose ten more won't hurt much.

I really appreciate everyone's input and information. God Bless Belize and all of you. Hope to be there very soon.

Last edited by kcgoatroper; 03/23/17 09:57 AM.

Albert Einstein
C
C
"Or worse, development that does not comply with strict standards of conservation for the island", that's a good one....

There is a shocking amount of misinformation on the web about real estate in San Pedro. There are some unethical persons behind many of the websites. I highly recommend that you use the long established real estate firms that have solid positive reputations and consider the added level of due diligence by hiring competent legal counsel when you are ready to pull the trigger.

Agree 120%.... I was shocked by an ad I saw a couple of years ago that had income "projections" that were totally bogus. The real problem is that it was a US " Name brand" firm and they weren't too interested in the states when I sent a letter.. Brokers are not licensed here and many of them don't know the first thing about "TITLE" as that get's handled after the sale.

Having said that, there are some great brokers here who really know their stuff. It's a small island and reputations are well known. You want a broker who has been practicing here for 10 years or more and has a great reputation for honesty and knowledge. That is not to say that there are no good brokers that have been here for 3 years: just my 2 cents.

A little known fact... Women who are overweight tend to live longer than men who mention it...
OP Offline
Originally Posted by cracked up
"Or worse, development that does not comply with strict standards of conservation for the island", that's a good one....

Completely understand the humor in that statement. Having been there lots of times and seen quicky developments that are going on regularly and without proper paperwork. But since Palm Bay Cub is close/within the World Heritage Reserve; we are hoping someone is on top of the development or any rumor of development in the area. We have watched off and on for over ten years and sadly enough the adage "its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" seems to be the SOP in lots of places. Maybe that is why we have not heard back from the developer.

Thanks everyone for the info. Much appreciated.

Albert Einstein
What makes you think it is close to a World Heritage site? I guess close is 'relative".

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/764

The Bacalar Chico National Park and Marine Reserve is very close to Palm Bay Beach club and in fact it may be included in the reserve. I would have to do some research to be sure but I think Elbert may know the answer to that.

This according to Wiki: " Bacalar Chico National Park and Marine Reserve (BCNPMR) is a protected area and UNESCO World Heritage Site on the northern part of Ambergris Caye in Belize."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacalar_Chico_National_Park_and_Marine_Reserve

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
OP Offline
I would be interested in communication with other Palm Bay owners. I think if we all get together we can sort this out.

If you know of any, please send them my way ASAP.

Thanks for the help and the great advice. Have a Blessed Day!

Albert Einstein
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 280 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.