Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#52277 04/25/02 09:41 AM
F
OP Offline
F
I know I am the one concerned initially about all the night life and clubs to hit while on AC, but what if we choose to stay in at the home we are renting for an evening? Is there a grocery store and/or liquor store that can accommodate visitors on AC? I am sure that we will be interested in eating breakfast/lunch at our place as well, any suggestions/advice from you veterans?

[This message has been edited by Friend of Teacher (edited 04-25-2002).]

For a fix-it-yourself meal, head to one of the groceries. Island Grocery on Coconut Drive (tel. 501-226-2972) south of town is the biggest. Rock's on Pescador Drive (tel. 501-226-2044) in town and San Pedro Supermarket (tel. 501-226-3446) at the north end of town are handy, too. In addition there are a number of smaller shops selling some groceries in town and south of town. Don't expect a Publix or Kroger's, but most items you'll need are available, at a price (often 50 to 100% more than in the U.S.) The groceries sell beer, booze and some wines, but for the cheapest deal on Belikin, Lighthouse or Belikin Stout, have the local Bowen warehouse (San Pedro Distributors, tel. 501-226-2142) on Coconut Drive bring you a case. Regular Belikin is under US$20 a case, plus a refundable $3 deposit on the bottles and case. You can get soft drinks and bottled water, too. Cokes are about US$9-$10 a case, plus deposit. For wine and cheese, Divine Wine on Pescador Drive (tel. 501-226-3430) with the same ownership as Sweet Basil, has a nice small selection. Fresh fruit and vegetables are available from vendors on Barrier Reef Drive, and Patty's on Pescador Drive (tel. 501-226-2388) has good selections most days and will deliver to your condo. La Popular (two locations) is a good bakery.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
F
OP Offline
F
Thank you so much for your help--you have supplied a great deal of information.

K
K
Don't miss the fresh-sqeezed orange juice from the stand right in front of the San Pedro Supermarket north of town!

Don't miss the many flavors of ice cream at Manalley's in town just north of Fido's.
I think our family of 5 spent $75.00 there over 14 days...........yummy

Dare To Deviate
R
R
Does anyone know how I could contact the lady who makes the Key Lime Pies on AC. I could have sworn I read something about her on the board somewhere. It has been a while, and I am needing a fix.

KC Offline
Yeah... I'd like to know this also. My B-I-L wanted keylime pie, so we went to Celis. I think it was around $40.US that we paid for that pie! We wanted it that bad. It was very, very good, and we enjoyed every bite. It became our "joke" -- most expensive piece of pie we have ever had. Don't think I'll be buying another $40 pie, though, so if someone knows a better source, I'm all ears.

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
B
B
We're just back from ten days on AC and there were LOTS of places to purchase basic groceries. Fair warning, though, especially if you go to the groceries that are clearly more tourist-oriented (like the Island Supermarket across from the beer/soda distibutor) --- the prices are MUCH higher on most things than you may be expecting (like $18 Belize, $9 U.S. for a box of cornflakes). If you MUST have your cornflakes, Cheetos or Pringles, bring them from home in your luggage. If you're on the south end, look for Marina's Tienda (near Riverview Gardens and across from Antojitos Santelmo). The prices were much more reasonable on every product (including the rum!).

There is a lady in one of the new vendor stalls at Central Park who makes Key Lime "to die for". Her chicken,rice & beans and her hamburgers are also great. I don't know the name of her place, but she's near the end, away from Barrier Reef Drive. She is usually the only one with pies and not every night. I'm going 5-11 to 5-18 and will get the name. Some of the locals may answer you also, with a name. Enjoy!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 372 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.