Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

SPHC highlights Caste War during International Museum Day
To commemorate International Museum Day, the San Pedro House of Culture (SPHC) hosted an exhibition at San Pedro High School's Auditorium on Thursday, May 18th. Under the countrywide theme: 'Saying the Unspeakable in Museums', Director Mito Paz focused on the Caste War of Yucat�n 1849-1901. SPHS students were lectured on the significance of the war, and were guided through displayed historic photographs of Maya leaders, Yucat�n armies, Spaniards, army generals, Cults of the Talking Cross, churches, music evolution, and living survivors. Paz explained that the Caste War had a profound influence on the history of Ambergris Caye, Corozal, and Orange Walk. The War changed the dynamic of Belize, where an influx of Yucatec refugees brought their customs and traditions to Northern Belize. Today, many of these customs are still being practiced.

Investigation launched into dredging at Hol Chan Marine Reserve northern extension
The Ministry of Natural Resources, via its Mining Unit, has begun investigating claims that unauthorized dredging is taking place within the Hol Chan Marine Reserve Expansion zone on the west coast of Northern Ambergris Caye. According to Ministry personnel, no permit has been granted for such activity, and the company involved will be presented with a fine and a stop order by the end of the week. Representatives from the Mining Unit told The San Pedro Sun that they were aware of the incident after receiving reports from the Hol Chan Marine Reserve staff and concerned residents, who claim that the activity had been taking place for days. They indicated that it is illegal to do any type of dredging within marine protected areas, and they were looking into the matter seriously. "We are investigating. We know who the company is, and we will deal with the matter."

Minister of Education announces new schools for Belize
Mayor Daniel Guerrero, could not say whether San Pedro Town is on the list, but indicated that members from MOE had visited the island to conduct site inspections. "Two weeks ago, I took personnel from the Ministry of Education to see the property assigned for a school in the northern part of the island," said Guerrero. "They mentioned that they are getting ready to start constructing the schools soon, but how soon, I don't know." He recalled that the representatives from MOE spoke about the construction of a pre-school and primary school.

San Pedro Tourism Police enforcing loitering laws
Since the San Pedro Town Council (SPTC), San Pedro Traffic Department, and the San Pedro Tourism Police have hosted several meetings with the Taxi Associations and golf-cart business owners, to address the issue of unsolicited loitering. On Thursday, May 11th, a golf-cart business owner was arrested and charged for loitering in a public place after he had been given three warnings to move. Police have been cracking down on loitering, and are now enforcing not only Belize's law, but also the bylaws of the Tourism and Town Council Act.

Ambergris Today

Ariel Rosado Foundation Scholarship Opportunities
The Board of Directors of The Ariel Rosado Foundation is proud to celebrate five and a half years of service to Belize and thanks all those who made this milestone possible. The Foundation was established in January 2012 to celebrate the life of Ariel Rosado, an outstanding Belizean Role Model who died in a road traffic accident at age 28. In its first year the Foundation offered a total of fifteen (15) scholarships. Four years later in 2016 the number of scholarships was more than doubled for a total of 36 Scholarships. This year 2017 the Foundation hopes to again increase the number of scholarships to a total of Forty (40).

Placencia To Benefit From Opening Of Municipal Pier To Harvest Caye Passengers
On May 30th, 2017, the Cruise Control Ltd. will officially start ferrying cruise passengers from Harvest Caye to Placencia Village and will be conducting a test run in the interim. Passengers will now have the opportunity to enjoy the beaches, food, craft and much more that the village of Placencia has to offer. In addition, Tour Operators will have the opportunity to take guests on marine tours. Tickets can be purchased on the cruise ship or at the visitors' booth on Harvest Caye at a cost of $20USD round trip.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Inauguration of La Gracia Smart Solar Grid Energy Project
On Wednesday, May 24th, 2017 the Minister with responsibility for the Public Service, Energy and Public Utilities Hon. Frank Mena and the Chairman of La Gracia Village Mr. Dario Menendez will inaugurate a Smart Solar off-grid rural electrification project at La Gracia Village in the Cayo District. In its efforts to provide access to electricity for all Belizeans, the Ministry identified rural electrification, using solar powered off-grid systems (mini/micro-grids), as a key component in the strategic plan.

Familiarization Tour of the Belize
responsibility for Home Affairs, Hon. Elodio Aragon Jr. commenced his countrywide Familiarization Tour of the Belize Police Department.Through the tour, which started off in the Orange Walk District, the Minister will familiarize himself with the day-to-day operations of the individual police departments throughout the country. Additionally, Hon. Elodio Aragon will have the opportunity to interact with the rank and file of the department on a personal basis.

The Belize Training and Employment Centre, BELTRAIDE, holds certificate ceremony for BPO Training
The Belize Training and Employment Centre (BTEC) , a unit of BELTRAIDE, today completes its Job Preparedness Training for the Business Processing Outsourcing Industry. To conclude this training, BTEC held a certificate ceremony where 23 participants graduated with the knowledge and skills necessary for becoming a customer service representative at a call centre. This rigorous 3 weeks training was a unique blend of soft skills, customer service and technical aspects.

Iron machine, Corozal
This iron machine was put together by a Mennonite family in Little Belize, Corozal District. It looks like an antique but it has done its job for many years. It is used to bore a hole in the ground up to eighty feet deep. In many places in Corozal, water can only be extracted by digging shallow or deep well points. The average cost of these driven wells can be anywhere between $45-$50 per foot which includes the length of PVC pipe and the capping. This particular driven well was made just off the Consejo Road, Corozal District.

Tour Guide Licensing Advisory
Tour Guide Licenses expire on July 31, 2017. Applications for renewal are now being accepted at BTB's Belize City and San pedro offices. Start early. Start early.

Ambergris Caye's Children's Home
Ambergris Caye's Children's Home is coming along great. Just a few more donations needed to complete the second level of the building. See how you can help. Ambergris Caye's Children's Home is coming along great. Just a few more donations needed to complete the second level of the building. See how you can help. Please help! Read the last paragraph for information on how! MAY UPDATE FOR HOPE HAVEN: We are mere weeks away from completing the second level of our children's home! We have also started renovations for the first floor! How exciting!

Belize Attends the 20th Meeting of COFCOR
Foreign Ministers of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) met for the Twentieth Meeting of the Council for Foreign and Community Relations (COFCOR) in Bridgetown, Barbados on the 18th and 19th May 2017. The Foreign Ministers of the 15 members of CARICOM underscored their unflinching support for Belize's sovereignty, security and territorial integrity. The COFCOR expressed its hope that Belize and Guatemala proceed to referendum that would pave the way for submitting Guatemala's claim to the International Court of Justice for a definitive legal and binding solution.

SP TOWN AND WILMINGTON 10 YEARS OF SISTER CITY RELATIONS
A special ceremony and dinner was held on Wednesday, May 10th to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the sisterhood between San Pedro Town and the City of Wilmington, North Carolina USA. The event was hosted at Pineapple's Restaurant at Ramon's Village by The San Pedro Town Council (SPTC), and saw the participation of staff and Councilors of the SPTC including Mayor Daniel Guerrero, Deputy Gary Greif and special invited guests from the city of Wilmington.

Chamber of Commerce warns on corruption
The Belize Chamber of Commerce issues a release saying that the cost of corruption has become too great for our country. It says that both the Integrity Commission and the Senate Select Committee are methods that allow us to gather information, and we cannot allow either to be undermined, by political operatives, as was seen during this past Wednesday's Senate Hearing into the Immigration Department.

Announcement on the passing of Mr. Puga
It is with deep regret and profound sadness that the BTB announces the passing of one of its very own and treasured employees. Mr. Oscar Oscar Puga Sr. passed away today May 19th, 2017 and was a valued member of the BTB from 24th of September 2012. Mr. Puga always exemplified a strong dedication and commitment to his role as Certification and Standards Inspector in the Quality Assurance and Industry Standards department and to the goals of the BTB. He will be missed tremendously by his colleagues of the BTB and stakeholders of the industry. The BTB extends sincere condolences to his wife and family and pray God's peace, comfort and blessings on them during this time of difficulty. May he rest in peace.

Closure of Manatee Bridge, Mile 15, Coastal Road
The Ministry of Works hereby informs the public that the Manatee Bridge at mile 15 on the Coastal Road/Manatee Road has been closed to all vehicular traffic until 10:00 a.m. on Monday, May 22, 2017. Motorists are urged to use the Hummingbird Highway as an alternative access route to Stann Creek District during the above prescribed period. The Ministry of Works regrets the inconvenience, but the closure is necessary to effect some long overdue maintenance to ensure the bridge's structural integrity and its continued safe use by the public.

Game 2 of the Finals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's going down next Thursday at the University of Belize Gymnasium in the Nation's Capital, come out and support your home boys Belmopan Bandits Elite Team as we go up against 2 time champs San Pedro Tiger Sharks to see who will be the 2017 NEBL Champions. You sure don't wanna miss this one! PRE SALE tickets available from Tuesday, May 23rd to midday Thursday, 25th May for $20.Call 633-5362 or visit 17 Ambergris Ave.

Nazarene Cultural School Held In Sarteneja
SARTENEJA VILLAGE ...EAST INDIAN CULTURE COMES ALIVE at the Nazarene School...This June 1st.

World Metrology Day 2017
Today the Belize Bureau of Standards celebrated World Metrology Day 2017 under the theme Measurements For Transport by hosting an Information Booth Display at the Belmopan Market Day. Joining us to commemorate this day is The Belize Road Safety Project, The Department of Transport and The Department of the Environment.

Emilio Ahmad and Sons Ltd. is celebrationg 68 years this year
We are very happy to become a part of Corozal's Historical Heritage. A Proud Corozal Family Company

Corozal Cancer Walk Held In Corozal
Sunday, May 28 at 6 AM - 8 AM. Come wake up with a new week in Corozal on may 28, 2017 for a fun walk.

Art In The Park In Corozal
Saturday, May 20 at 5 PM - 9:30 PM. Art in the Park is a monthly event sponsored by COLCHA. Local artists display and sell their creations. It is held in downtown Corozal Town in Central Park, beginning about 5pm. For more information call 620-1572. Note: This event was scheduled last week, but was rained out. It is rescheduled for 20th May.

"AMERICAN CIRCUS" from Mexico
The "AMERICAN CIRCUS" from Mexico will be making its inaugural show Friday, May 19th at 6:30 P.M. and following with its second show at 8:45 P.M. (Mexico time). The circus is located in Chetumal along Avenida Constituyentes across from the MultiPlaza. Directions - Take a left off the "Bomberos" from Avenida Insurgentes, pass Soriana on Constituyentes, and continue all the way down to the new Chedraui Multi Plaza. Circus will be to your right. The show features international and local performers and for the children, it will feature the "Pepa Pig and Frozen Shows". There will be two performances every day at 6:30 P.M. and 8:45 P.M. (Mexico time). One hour ahead of Belize time.

Corozal Town Historical Corridor
The Corozal Town Historical Corridor was an awesome experience. Thumbs up to the Corozal House of Culture and all those who contributed in this positive initiative. Such an incredible day with our beloved community as we celebrated International Museum Day 2017 Thursday May 18, with the inauguration of the Corozal Town Historical Walk. The Walk was made possible through a collaborative community effort with persons sharing their information and photographs, along with assistance from the Belize Archives and Records Service and the Corozal Town Council. We also want to recognize the Corozal Junior College's Tourism Management students and instructor Miss Mena for giving guided tours to students and residents throughout the day. Thank you to Channel 23 Belize and CTV3 news for your kind coverage. Thank you to the Corozal Transport Authourity for making sure everyone was safe on our streets. All are kindly invited to take the self-guided tour as we bring to light the importance of safeguarding Corozal's historical landmarks. Thank you to Rhodi Chun and Rose Elwell for the lovely images.

Farmers in the Vaca Forest Reserve receive supplies for their agro-ecological activities
The aim is to conduct better sustainable practices in the reserve. FCD is supported by the British Embassy, GEF SGP and the Forest Department on this endeavor.

Free Peace Concert May 22
On Monday May 22nd, come on out to the Yabra Green Field and enjoy the Free Peace Concert from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Enjoy music by Bredda David and the Family Fusion Band and Friends. There will be a Youth Football Event, Tumblers and Drumming. Admission will be free.

New residential quarters for field staff at ATM
Hon. Patrick Faber, Minister of Education, Youth, Sports and Culture along with Greg Vernon, acting president of NICH, cutting the ribbon to officially open new residential quarters for field staff at the Actun Tunichil Muknal Archaeological Reserve.

Panama Photograhy Exhibition
Now Open at the Museum of Belize - A brand new photographic exhibition!

Channel 7

PUP Stages Senate Walkout, Protesting President
Today's regular senate meeting wasn't regular at all. That's because the opposition opened up asking to make what's called "a privileged statement". They wanted to talk about the menacing and deliberately disruptive behavior pulled off by UDP operatives at the Senate Special Inquiry on Wednesday. But, to make a privileged statement, there has to be advance notice and permission from the president. The PUP didn't have that permission, and so they started out the meeting with a defiant tone. Here's how it went:... Hon. Lee Mark Chang, President of the Senate: "I just speak with your senator earlier and I already told him I declined and it won't happen. Thank you." Hon. Michel Chebat, PUP Senator: "You will not allow me to speak Mr. President." Hon. Lee Mark Chang, President of the Senate: "No, because we have spoken about it already." Hon. Michael Peyrefitte, UDP Senator: "This was discusses already with the former Prime Minister Musa in the national assembly. There is no privilege here like that."

PUP's Statement: Solidarity With Press
Later on we'll have the full debate on those "other matters", but the PUP's main matter was this statement which they couldn't give to the Senate. But they did give it to the press:.. Hon. Michel Chebat, PUP Senator: "I rise to put on record the People's United Party strong condemnation of the behavior of members and the supporters of the United Democratic Party at last Wednesday's meeting of the senate special select committee investigating illegalities in immigration. In what can only be describe as a carefully orchestrated plan to disrupt last Wednesday's hearings. The chairman of the UDP and the mace bearer of the House of Representatives, behave in such an unruly manner that the hearing had to be suspended. This is unacceptable. We call on the United Democratic Party to respect the honorable senate and we demand that the senate inquiry be allowed to proceed without any further disruption by UDP operatives, in a direct attack on our Belizean democracy."

President Lee Mark Explains It's About Procedure
Outside the meeting, the media asked President Lee Mark Chang what was the big deal since it was such a short statement - which wasn't exactly earth shattering. Here's how Chang put it:.. Reporter: "Why couldn't have been allowed? I mean it's a simple statement and it comes off as you trying to muzzle the opposition on that statement." Hon. Lee Mark Chang, President of the Senate: "First of all let the record reflect. In all my couple of years of being the president of the senate, I have never tried to stifle or muzzle any senator from saying whatever they need to say. Actually I've always give them leverage to say things that are not supposed to be said. With that said, with so many times that I have allowed certain things and now there is one thing that I don't allow, then they are saying that I'm trying to stifle them. I have spoken to Senator Courtenay when he call me and I said let me review my standing orders and let me see if I could allow it. The standing orders give me the authority to either agree or disagree. I disagreed because I also have some pending meetings to address these matters. We are going to address these matters and make sure these reoccurring does not continue to happen or does not happen again."

Eamon Courtney, SC, VS. Yellowman, Macebearer
And what the PUP and the media don't want to happen again, is a repeat of the heckling, disruption and menacing that happened at Wednesday's session of the Senate Hearings. Senior Counsel Eamon Courtenay took on professional rabble rouser, Yellowman and said someone has to put him in check:... Hon. Eamon Courtenay, PUP Senator: "Audinette is an employee of this honorable house. It is unacceptable for him to behave that way on the premises of the very house of which he is the macebearer, the person who is to ensure that law and order on regular business can be conducted. But more than that, it is the arrogance, it is the disrespect, it is the criminal behavior of these people. They believe that they can behave with impunity and attack even th

President Chang: Not In My House
But, Senate President Lee Mark Chang has to acknowledge their existence, Yellowman and August are his party colleagues in the UDP. But he says he won't encourage their antics in "his" house: Hon. Lee Mark Chang, President of the Senate: "Well I will be very clear with unu, not in my house. Once I am here that will not happen." Reporter: "No matter who it is." Hon. Lee Mark Chang, President of the Senate: "It doesn't matter who it is. I have cleared the gallery, threatening words have been stoned across the aisle and I have instructed the officers to send them out. So once I am here I will do what I need to do, hence the reason why I am going to a meeting right after this to make sure that we can have more enforcement for future things not to reoccur. Yes, mistakes have been done, but we need to fix it and move on."

Luis Wade Charged For Assaulting Montero's Son
And while the media was being assaulted and threatened on Wednesday in the Senate at the same time, one of Belize's most well known media personalities, was being criminally charged in Cayo - he says for doing his job. PLUS TV's Luis Wade was charged for assault and indecent language - almost 6 months after he'd had an encounter with works Minister Rene Montero's son, Robert at the Santa Elena Sports Complex. Wade was there reporting on a story, and says he was almost run over by Montero who was trying to get him to stop capturing the ongoing work. Of course, there are two sides to every story, and police concluded that Montero was the victim and Wade, the aggressor. Today when he want to san Ignacio Magistrate's Court, we asked him all about it:

Police Say Pastor Wade Distorting Narrative
And while Pastor Wade and his supporters prayed, police were taking a pounding on social media. That's because Wade's narrative puts them as the bad guys, deliberately ignoring his witnesses and his evidence, and charging the journalist doing his job, rather than the political operative who's running interference. And so after yesterday taking a hardline that they would not comment on this case because it is too minor, the police department buckled under the pressure of public criticism and agreed to grant interviews so that they could get out their side of the story. We spoke to Superintendent Richard Rosado who told us that Wade has deliberately distorted the story. He says they waited months for his evidence, which never came:

Bail For Alleged Coro Kidnappers
Today, two alleged kidnappers were released on bail. Jeffery Gongora and Brian Espinoza allegedly made up half of the team that robbed and kidnapped Eder Hall and two of his friends. According to police, Hall and his companions went to Ranchito Village with $13,000 in cash to purchase a car, but before the transaction took place, they were held up by Gongora and Espinoza, along with Elio Lopez and Jason Espinoza. The trio were bound and stuffed in the back of their vehicle. However, as they were being driven away, Hall managed to pull a razor blade from his wallet and cut himself loose, while his companions hopped out of the trunk. Two of the kidnappers, Jason Espinoza and Elio Lopez, were caught and charged in the Magistrate's Court last week with three counts of kidnapping and three counts of robbery. But Brian Espinoza and Jefferey Gongora remained at large. They handed themselves into police earlier this week and were given the same charges.

Chamber Calls On Integrity Commission, Calls Out GOB For "Corruption"
The Belize Chamber of Commerce has joined the chorus of organizations calling for the Integrity Commission to dig deeper into the finances of elected representatives and parliamentarians. The Chamber released a statement today asking for the Integrity Commission to return to its earlier decision and review the previous 5 years of the finances of the persons serving in public life, instead of only one year. Their statement opens saying, quote, "Corruption continues to grow throughout the economy, enriching the few at the expense of the many, yet an ongoing shortage of political will continues to deny us the chance to halt the actions of the corrupt…" End quote.

Senate Debated Big Money From CDB
At the top of the news, we showed you how the Opposition's Senators walked out of parliament, refusing to the participate in today's meeting. Well, after they left, the Government's Senators and the other social partners went on with the business of the day. They had 5 motions to debate and pass, but there were 2 which generated the most robust back and forth. The first was the approval of a loan from the Caribbean Development Bank of $20 million US dollars for the Development Finance Cooperation. The second was the approval of a 10-million-US-dollar loan from the CDB to the Social Investment Fund. That's a total of $60 million Belize's dollars that these two statutory boards will be borrowing.

10 M USD For SIF? Senate Protests
After that motion was passed, Senator Godwin Hulse, the Leader of Government Business, tabled the second loan from the CDB. That's the 10 million US dollar loan that's going to the Social Investment Fund for 24 small to medium sized community projects, which is supposed to improve the living conditions 35,000 Belizeans. Some of the social partner senators said that this description was too vague to make an informed decision on whether or not to support it. Here's the fiery back-and-forth between them and the government's senators: Hon. Mark Lizarraga - Business Senator: "In support of the position previously stated and I lend clarity Senator Salazar, that what Senator Smith was saying and I make reference to what is before us now. If there is a proposal, a loan proposal before us right now for the sum of 20 million dollars or 10 million US to finance 24 small medium size community projects. Where did this number 24 come from?"

Ranger Station for ATM
The ATM Caves, properly known as Actun Tunichil Muknal in Teakettle Village are among the most prized Mayan tours in Belize. It takes visitors through a network of caves where human remains from sacrificial offerings centuries ago have been preserved. The caves get a lot of premium tourist traffic, and that requires a fair amount of technical and logistics support. And now NICH has set up a Rangers Facility to accommodate that. I found out more when I visited today: The Institute of archaeology built the building at a cost of 62 thousand dollars. They plan on building more ranger bases at three other sites by December, including Barton Creek, Santa Rita, and Cerros.

Maya Mound Ground Down In San Pedro
If you follow the news, you'll probably remember the destruction of a part of the Uxbenka Mayan Site in September 2015. That caused some ugly racial friction, but a new case involving the destruction of a mound on private property in San Pedro isn't quite that controversial. According to the san Pedro Sun, the mound, located in the San Pablo neighborhood south of San Pedro Town, was disturbed. There's been an outcry to preserve it and we asked the Director of Archaeology to update us on it: The Institute of Archaeology will investigate to determine the extent of the damage.

Cops Caught Weed and Coke
Police from the Eastern Division South Strike Team are conducted a raid in the Conch Shell Bay area, and they found almost a pound of marijuana. That search happened today at the residence of #46 West Collet Canal. The officers found 383 grams - or 13.5 ounces of marijuana, and so they've arrested and charged 38 year-old Wilton Anderson with the offense of drug trafficking. San Pedro Cops also made a small cocaine bust in the Boca Del Rio area. That search happened last night at around 10, when officers were on mobile patrol. Their attention was drawn to a group of five men who were sitting on a golf cart in the corner of a yard. the officers searched the men, and they found 6 transparent plastic bags with cocaine. They also searched the golf cart and found another transparent plastic bag with cocaine. The drugs were weighed and the cops found that there was a total of 5 grams of the drug.

Venezuelan Embassy, Says Media Got It All Wrong
It may be one of the richest countries on earth in terms of it's oil reserves, but Venezuela is a mess right now. Huge protests are held daily, inflation is at almost 100% in just the past few months, they have one of the highest murder rates on earth, there are chronic shortages of everything from toilet paper to flour, and their currency has crashed. With the worsening economic climate, Venezuela's president, Nicolas Maduro, has been struggling to hold unto power, and has been going to extraordinary means to do so. All that's according to the mainstream media, who according to the Venezuelan Embassy here in Belize, is only telling part of the story.

Does Lee Make Know Fixer Barton Middleton?
Does President of the Sante Lee Mark Chang have some kind of relationship with Immigration fixer Barton Middleton? That's what observers at the senate asked after he was seen interacting with him outside of the Senate Inquiry hearings recently. Lee Mark told us no good deed goes unpunished. In other news, Chang told us that the sale of his Phone Saan Belmopan building to the Immigration Department is off after government wouldn't pay his asking price of 1.65 million dollars. He has leased it to a new tenant.

Structure Cycling For High Schools
Elite female cyclist Kaya Catotuse is taking cycling as an organized sports to the High Schools. She's doing it in the hopes of bringing more high school females into the sport, but she found that high school males are just as eager to get involved. Cattouse told us it is an attempt to make cycling as regular and structured as basketball and football programs for secondary schools: The high school cycling series is held Thursdays at the Marion Jones Stadium.

A Ride For Awareness
And in other cycling news, the second cancer challenge or ride will be held this Saturday and Sunday May 20th and 21st. The idea is to make men more aware of prostate cancer. Kwame Scott told us it starts tomorrow in Dangriga:

Aragon Learning About His Former Job, Police
And while those cyclists will tour the country, minister of state in the ministry of home affairs Elodio Aragon is going on a different kind of tour. He's going on a countrywide Familiarization Tour of the Belize Police Department. He started yesterday in his home town of Orange Walk - and he told us what he found: The tour will continue at stations across the country.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Channel 5

Louis Wade Charged, Protests Innocence
It's been a bad week for the media. It started at Wednesday's senate meeting when political operatives attacked members of the media.� And this morning, in San Ignacio, the outspoken [...]

Police Say More Evidence Against Pastor/Journalist Than in His Favour
Just now you heard Journalist Louis Wade speak on what has transpired with an incident that led to him being slapped with two charges; one for common assault and the [...]

Wade Compares His Trial with Senate Assaults
Earlier this week, you saw what transpired during the hearing of the Senate Select Committee - journalists were threatened by political operatives carrying out the dirty work of their party [...]

P.U.P. Comments Shut Down by Senate, Prompting Walkout
The Senate of Belize met in ordinary session this morning at the National Assembly. It is its first meeting since the unprecedented and heinous attack on members of the press [...]

President Defends Actions But Says Further Interruptions Will Not Be Tolerated
Senate President Lee Mark Chang defended his actions following the meeting. He pointed to his track record of being what he feels is overly generous with Senators in raising issues [...]

Debate Continues Over Further Usefulness of Public Hearings
Senate President Chang also told reporters today that he shares the opinion of Deputy Prime Minister Patrick Faber and Chairman Aldo Salazar that the Committee's public aspect is starting to [...]

What Were Lee Mark and Barton Middleton Discussing?
While President of the Senate Lee Mark Chang has few issues with the conduct of the Senate Inquiry, what was not known was that he had a brief conversation with [...]

P.S.U. Suspends President Eldred Neal
Career public officer Eldred Neal has been suspended as President of the Public Service Union, following disparaging remarks he made against the Garifuna community, which was recorded back in March.� [...]

Neal Refuses to Go But Second Vice President Will Take Charge
Prior to today's special meeting of the Council of Management, Neal told News Five that he would not be stepping down as President of the P.S.U. until his term of [...]

Lee Mark Denies Report of Immigration Involvement
Is Lee Mark Chang one of the fish not caught up in the 2011-2013 Immigration scandal? While there is no indication of his name being in the Auditor General's Reports, [...]

Chon Saan Owner Closes Book on Immigration Department Sale
As we reported at the end of April, the Immigration Department has decided against buying over the Chon Saan Palace building for use as its headquarters in Belmopan. It is [...]

Accused in Ranchito Kidnapping Out on Bail
Two of four men linked to an armed robbery and kidnapping in Ranchito, Corozal on May third, 2017 were today granted Supreme Court bail in the sum of ten thousand [...]

N.G.O.'s Condemn Actions Against Media
The Belize Network of Non-Governmental Organizations has issued a statement condemning what it calls the vicious and personal attacks on Senator Eamon Courtenay and the press during Wednesday's Senate inquiry. [...]

Chamber Says Integrity Commission, Senate Attacks Are Means of Corruption
In light of recent developments in the Senate as well as by the Integrity Commission, the Belize Chamber of Commerce and Industry today issued a statement condemning acts of corruption. [...]

How Will New Loans to D.F.C. and SIF Help Belize?
The motions passed by the House on May twelfth for consolidated line of credit by the Caribbean Development Bank to the Development Finance Corporation and a loan to the Belize [...]

A New National Sports Council Director
A new Director of the National Sports Council has been named to the post.� That office has been vacant for months, following the departure of Ritchel Dominguez, whose contract was [...]

Venezuela Rep in Belize Discusses Country's Issues
The leadership of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro continues to be tested, the latest challenge being a new round of sanctions being imposed by the United States government.� Those restrictions are [...]

South American Country Not Alone in Facing Political Issues
Maduro's government has been faced with almost daily protests since his Supreme Court signed an order that deprived the Venezuelan congress of its powers in March of this year.� The [...]

Giving the Gift of Life for Needy Children
Hundreds of Belizean children are treated for congenital diseases annually, through the Rotary Club of Belize's Gift of Life Program. This year, however, the program went a step further and rather than sending patients overseas, the visiting cardiologists from the U.S. successfully performed procedures on three children. It all happened at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital. News Five's Duane Moody reports.

Amandala

UDP Chair leads raid on Senate hearing!
Yesterday, Wednesday, in an attempt to protect former disgraced Minister of State in the Ministry of Immigration, Elvin Penner, from the unrelenting questioning of Opposition PUP Senator, Eamon Courtenay, as well as other senators, regarding the Won Hong Kim passport and visa scandal, the ruling UDP administration sent UDP party chairman, Alberto August, and the House of Representatives' Sergeant-at-Arms Brian "Yellowman" Audinett, to disrupt the proceedings and physically try to intimidate journalists and reporters covering the Senate hearing into allegations contained in the Auditor General's Special Audit into the Immigration Department scandal. August and Yellowman were joined by Housing Inspector Allan "AK" Kelly and several other UDP henchmen.

UDP instruct police to charge Pastor Louis Wade
Firebrand media personality, journalist and pastor, Louis Wade, has been summoned to appear in the San Ignacio Magistrate's Court tomorrow, Friday, to answer to charges of "common assault," and "using insulting words." Those charges date back to an incident last November at the Santa Elena Football Complex in which Wade discovered questionable activities that certain affiliates of the ruling government wanted to keep a secret. Wade told us today that he had learned that the Ministry of Works (MOW) had sent employees to work on the Santa Elena Sports Complex, through the Government of Belize, although the Belize Infrastructure Limited (BIL) had issued a contract to Plett's Construction Ltd.

Obsession over former girlfriend leads to murder of rival
A Punta Gorda man with a broken heart, obsessed with and unable to get over his former lover, is accused by police of stabbing her eight times and murdering her new lover after consuming an assortment of alcoholic beverages. Police reports reveal that at around midday on Wednesday, Simon Lino (in his early twenties) drove himself to the residence of Tiannie Figueroa, 20, on VOA Road in Punta Gorda. When he arrived, she was socializing with her relatives. Lino sat in her couch for a few minutes and then reportedly took out a kitchen knife and stabbed her eight times over her body. He only stopped after one of her friends lashed him across the body with a metal object.

Guatemalan illegal gold panner fell to his death
Marvin Cristobal Chac Pop, 18, a Guatemalan laborer from the village of Mount Olivos, Guatemala, which is about a 4-hour walk from the Chiquibul forest, died after he fell off a cliff and hit his head on the rocks below. His body landed in a pool of water. Pop had been illegally panning for gold in Belize's Chiquibul Forest Reserve. The incident occurred Tuesday afternoon about 5 miles into the Chiquibul. General David Jones, Commander of the Belize Defense Force, yesterday said that after they were informed of the fatal incident, our Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Consul of Guatemala communicated with each other, and the BDF was requested to step in to recover the body.

Penner says Cabinet list did exist; PM Barrow "doesn't remember"
On Wednesday, former Minister of State in the Ministry of Immigration, Elvin Penner, appeared once again before the Senate Select Committee. He again read a statement indicating why he was not required to furnish answers to the questions posed. According to him, the Constitution states that not only did he not have to respond to those questions posed by the committee, but he also did not have to provide any reason for his refusal to respond. However, when the Senate Select Committee asked him to locate that specific piece of legislation, he could not do so.

Man gave 11-year-old grandson his stash of weed to hold
Despite the fact that marijuana is still an illegal substance in Belize, some magistrates use their discretion to prevent young, first-time offenders from the stigma of acquiring a criminal record when they "caution and dismiss" cases of small "possession of cannabis," as marijuana is referred to in the Laws of Belize. Today, Magistrate Carlon Mendoza imposed a hefty fine on a 60-year-old man who had given his 11-year-old step-grandson 21 grams of cannabis to hold when police arrived at their residence on Neal Pen Road, to conduct a search. Magistrate Mendoza accepted a guilty plea from Cecil Errol Flowers, who was charged along with his common-law wife, Cherry Mae Wallace, 58, for possession of a controlled drug, 21.5 grams of cannabis, and fined him $750, plus $5 cost of court.

Cricket Corner - Summer Fever forced a playoff with Western Eagles
Hello to all! The past weekend's games saw two teams tied with their opponent. Before we start the excitement, let me thank Bowen and Bowen for being our kind sponsor of this year's season. So, now, under the auspices of the Belize National Cricket Association, the 2017 Harrison Parks Cricket Competition continued. What beautiful games were played! Let's go together to the beautiful village of Flowers Bank, the home of Wicked Eleven Cricket Club. This home team has already cleared a spot for the playoffs. They were waiting to make that spot more sure going up against Sunrise of Lords Bank. Sunrise has struggled in the season, and will not make the playoffs, not because they didn't field a good team; it just was not their time. They had played some very good games, and had made their fans and supporters proud.

Belize internationals
While the Premier League of Belize (PLB) has just crowned the champion of its 2016-2017 Closing Season, 3-peat champion Belmopan Bandits SC, two Belizean players abroad, all-time goal leader Deon McCaulay and goalkeeper Woodrow West are also making strides in their respective competitions. In the Honduran professional league, Woodrow West's club, Honduras Progresso FC just clinched a spot in the 2017 Honduras Closing Season finals on Saturday, May 13, when they drew 2-2 in the second leg of their semifinals against perennial powerhouse Olimpia, after beating Olimpia 4-2 in the first leg. Honduras Progresso will now face defending Honduran champion Motagua in a home-and-away championship finals, beginning this Sunday, May 21.

Tennis News - Youth Tournament, May 13
The scorching-hot Pickwick Club Tennis Courts were the venue for another well-attended Youth Tennis Tournament this past Saturday (May 13, 2017), sponsored by the Belize Tennis Association. In the Orange Ball Category, there were Level 1 and Level 2 players, with Level 1 being a bit more advanced. In the Level 1 Orange Category, Daniel Musa took first place over Errol Ferguson with a score of 11-4; but Ferguson's consistency in attending practices, and his great improvement were evident in this match. Shaynalee Flowers also exhibited vast improvement and impressive athleticism, and can be expected to achieve excellence in upcoming tournaments.

Smart 13 & Under Mundialito
The Smart 13 & Under Mundialito continued over the weekend with Week 4 games played on Saturday, May 13, at the MCC Grounds. In game 1, Reality Young clipped Heights FC, 1-0, on a goal by Scotian Stuart. It was the same score in game 2, as Warriors FC got the 1-nil win over Belize Elementary, on a goal by Kaylen McFoy. In game 3, City Boys bombed Ladyville Jaguars, 4-0, with 3 goals from Kayia Requena and the other from Tom Miguel. Game 4 saw Brown Bombers with the 3-0 win over Sampson Academy, with a goal apiece from Delhart Dominguez, Brandon Smith and Peter Morgan. In game 5, Jose Almendarez scored the only goal of the game, as Hattieville Riverside Boys defeated Collet, 1-nil. And in game 6, Ladyville Rising Stars and Carlston FC played to a scoreless (0-0) draw.

Editorial: Attention, Chairman Alberto
Our understanding of Belize's political parties has always been that the Chairman is the third most powerful official in these parties, following the Leader and Deputy Leader. So then, Cayo's fiery and fanatic Alberto August, Chairman of the ruling United Democratic Party (UDP), holds a very high position in the political party which is undefeated in Belize elections since September of 2003. Because of the Christmas Eve traffic incident which convinced one of the UDP WAVE Radio's co-hosts, Alfonso Noble, to take an extended vacation, Mr. August has been sitting in at least one day a week as co-host of WAVE Radio's morning talk show. Over the last few weeks, Chairman Alberto has been working himself into a lather with respect to the attorney, Senator Eamon Courtenay, a People's United Party (PUP) Senate appointee, who has been one of Lord Michael Ashcroft's attorneys for many years and whose father, Vernon Harrison, was accused of stealing $3.34 million from the Social Security Board.

From The Publisher
I was listening to a radio newscast on Tuesday afternoon, and it sounded as if the announcer was saying that a British group was reporting that Belize is one of 27 countries which has a debt crisis. On Friday evening last, however, I had heard the Right Honorable Prime Minister tell the Belizean media, after the House meeting, that he had solved the superbond problem and that he essentially had no more worlds to conquer. I was puzzled by the different perspectives, the one abroad and the one in the mind of Belize's leader. In fact, I wondered whether being in a situation where you had no more worlds to conquer was necessarily a good thing. Historically, the response of the Greek warrior/king who found himself in such a situation (or predicament?) was to sit down and cry, presumably in frustration.

Glenn Blease writes Mayor Darrell Bradley
His Lordship the Mayor, Darrell Bradley Belize City Council Dear Mayor, I, Glenn Blease, the author of this letter, with great disgust write to inform you about a matter of severe discomfort with regards to my parents' burial. My parents are Joseph William Bernard Blease, World War II hero, veteran and former British Honduras policeman, and Avelina Herrera. My father, Joseph Blease, passed away in February 1985, and mother passed in November 2006. Now, let the record reflect that at the time of my mother's passing, I had to do a grave search to have my mother buried with my father. The grave error from your department had revealed that another body, that of Allain Medina, was buried in the same spot as my father, forcing me to bury my mother at another space.

Yellowman assaults Marisol - KREM TV letter of complaint
Dear Sir, I would like to bring your attention to the unruly behavior displayed yesterday, May 17, 2017, by persons in the National Assembly at the Senate Select Committee investigating the Immigration and visa irregularities highlighted in the Auditor General's Report. I make specific reference to the video recording of Mr. Brian "Yellowman" Audinett, an officer of the National Assembly (mace bearer), assaulting our News Director, Marisol Amaya, by snatching her phone/camera and threatening to destroy it. This was not only an attack on Ms. Amaya, but for what she represents: FREEDOM OF THE PRESS.

Urban Reyes writes PM Barrow
Damages caused by Ministry of Natural Resources. Dear Prime Minister Barrow: Now that you have assumed the helm of the Ministry of Natural Resources along with your Minister of State, Dr. Carla Barnett, I believe, you can aid in resolving my (titled) property situation within the Department of Lands. � 20th December 1996, I was issued a lease, by the Ministry of Natural Resources, for land in the Manatee Bar area. � 2nd of November 1997, I was given permission to purchase said property � 29th August 2012, title was issued for said property, see Minister's Fiat Grant No 669 of 2012 Between the issuance of the lease and the title being issued, the Ministry of Natural Resources sold the land to someone else; see Minister's Fiat Grant No. 241 of 2003.

Pressure mounts for Neal to resign
President of the Public Service Union (PSU), Eldred Neal, came under public fire this week, after recordings were leaked to the media and via social media in which he was heard making offensive comments against the Garifuna people, portraying them as people who will do anything to maintain power; and more specifically, members of the public service whom Neal, as PSU president, is supposed to represent. When we spoke with him on Monday, Neal said that he is neither a racist nor a bigot and he maintained that he did not say anything against the Garinagu. He also told us that he will not step down but will offer himself again for office.

Pressure mounts for Neal to resign
The Smith sisters from Majestic Alley, Muteesha and Leesha, had an encounter with police officers from the Northern Strike Team that landed them in court on serious criminal charges, but after the prosecution closed its case and two witnesses testified on their behalf, Chief Magistrate Ann Marie Smith acquitted the sisters of the charges. Muteesha, 21, was charged with assaulting a police officer, while Leesha, 20, was charged with harm, resisting arrest, escape from lawful custody and loitering "I am not going to find them guilty, because I find that the police behavior was heavy-handed and uncalled for," Chief Magistrate Smith said, when the case ended this evening.

Elroy Goldburn Hemmans, 36, sentenced to 3 years for robbing $300 from bus conductor
When he was arraigned on charges of robbery and harm last July, Elroy Goldburn Hemmans pleaded not guilty. Hemmans, 36, an accountant and resident of Mahogany Heights, changed his not guilty plea to guilty today when the case came up for trial. He was sentenced to 3 years in prison by Senior Magistrate Sharon Fraser, who ordered Hemmans to apologize to his victim, a 19-year-old bus conductor, Samir Martinez, who had already left the courtroom when the sentence was imposed. In apologizing to Martinez, Hemmans said he (Martinez) had provoked him. Magistrate Fraser told Hemmans that blaming the victim was not an apology. Hemmans was therefore made to apologize again.

Alfonso Wiltshire, 53, re-arrested for forced sex with girl, 13
Alfonso Wiltshire, 53, a taxi driver of San Pedro, has been re-arrested on four additional charges of sexual assault and unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor. It was ordered that he be rearrested on Friday after the findings of a further investigation were submitted to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions, which then ordered his immediate arrest. Wiltshire was taken to the San Pedro Magistrate's Court today, where the additional charges were read to him. No pleas were taken from him and no bail was offered. He was remanded at the Belize Central Prison until July 26, when he will be returned to court and given disclosure. A date has been set for a preliminary inquiry to find out whether the case should to be sent to the Supreme Court for trial.

The Reporter

Belize and Cuba celebrate three decades of medical cooperation
Belize and the Republic of Cuba this week marked 26 years of a historic medical cooperation agreement between our two countries. To commemorate the anniversary, the Embassy of Cuba in Belize held a medical symposium at the Inspiration Center at� mile 1.5 on the George […]

Penner back at Senate; hecklers make mischief
Hecklers caused a temporary suspension of the Senate Inquiry this week, as former Minister of State Elvin Penner made his second appearance to testify. United Democratic Party Chairman, Alberto August, Mace Bearer of the National Assembly Brian "Yellow Man" Audinett and Allan Kelly, among others, […]

Memorial Mass held for Pamela Lino
While police have been unable to positively identify the burnt human remains found in the back seat of Pamela Lino’s destroyed Kia Sportage several weeks ago, family and friends� held a memorial Mass in her honor last Friday at the Lady of Guadalupe Co-Cathedral in […]

Monkey River still grappling with erosion
The residents of Monkey River village are hoping that their beach erosion problem will be delayed, if not deterred, with the purchase of wire baskets to fill them with rocks and place them along the shoreline. A few weeks ago, the Belize City Council […]

Police officer wins huge Fantasy 5 prize
A Belize City police constable with 14 years of service to the department became the latest winner of the Fantasy 5 drawing, cashing in on a whopping $435,000 jackpot.   On Wednesday, Dayton Cyril Ogaldez took home $369,750 after 65,250 (15%) of his winnings was extracted […]

Taiwan congratulates CITO on ISO certification
This week, the Embassy of the Republic of China (Taiwan) congratulated the Central Information Technology Office (CITO) on passing the ISO 27001 external audit from May 8-9.   CITO's success marks the third time the office has passed the rigorous audit, which means that it maintains […]

Dangriga police searching for robbers turned killers
Four robbers turned� killers� are on the run in Belize City after they killed a Good Samaritan, who had stopped to offer them assistance on the Coastal Road early Monday morning. On May 15, at 1:26 p.m., police visited the scene of a traffic accident […]

Belize hosts regional parliamentarians for XIX FOPREL meeting
Belize holds the presidency pro tempore of the Forum of the Presidents of the Legislatures of Central America and the Caribbean (FOPREL), and so Speaker of the House Mrs. Laura Tucker-Longsworth and President of the Senate Hon. Lee Mark Chan presided over FOPREL's 19th meeting at the Best Western Biltmore […]

National Sports council appoints new director
The National Sport Council recently appointed a new director, Ian Jones.   Jones was officially appointed to the new post which became effective on Monday, May 15. Jones expressed his commitment towards the development of sports in Belize.   According to a government press release, Jones […]

Chinese businessman robbed of $38,000 cash
San Ignacio police have three suspects detained for questioning in relation to an armed robbery of a Chinese businessman that occurred early Monday morning in that jurisdiction.   Wei Bin Chen, the 60-year-old proprietor of Chen's Supermarket was robbed of $38,000 in cash at around 8:10 […]

Editorial
Any� Prime Minister of Belize� who has been elected to three consecutive terms would be wise to gird himself� for the torrent� of criticism which is sure to come his way, no matter how good or conscientious he may be. If some people saw our Prime Minister walking on water, […]

Media assaulted and threatened by political thugs
The media, this week, came under assault in the National Assembly for the second time in recent months as United Democratic Party (UDP) loyalists openly threatened and assaulted members of the press in front of police, with no action taken against them. The incident has […]

Popular musician killed in bitter love triangle
A popular musician and son of a former minister of government, Lascelle Martinez was stabbed to death on Wednesday afternoon while his girlfriend was also stabbed as a result of a bitter love triangle. Authorities are currently seeking Simon Lino, who allegedly stabbed his ex-girlfriend, […]

PSU President Eldred Neal under mounting pressure to step down
Members of the Board of Management for the Public Service Union (PSU) have asked PSU President Eldred Neal to resign, following the public release of two secretly recorded conversations where he made derogatory remarks about Garifuna people. Nine out of the 15 board members, some […]

Guatemalan gold panner falls to his death in Chiquibul
Belize Defense Force (BDF) soldiers have retrieved the body of� a Guatemalan civilian, Marvin Chac Pap, 18, who reportedly fell to his death in the Chiquibul National Park on Monday night. The first report that there was an incident involving Guatemalans in the Chiquibul came […]

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Freedom and democracy under attack!
BBN believes the recent assault against the media during the Senate Select Committee inquiry and the latest attempt to muzzle members of the press by intimidation is a direct attack on democracy and the free press and must be condemned to the maximum and not allowed to continue. These events paint an even grimmer picture of a Belize already ravaged by a crippled economy and rising costs in living caused by rampant systematic corruption.

A tale of two DFC's
One of two motions for multi-million dollar loans approved earlier today by the Senate and last Friday by the House of Representatives was for 20 Million US Dollars for the DFC to lend to Belizeans in four different areas of investment. Those areas, as explained by Prime Minister Rt. Hon Dean Barrow, are, Small and Medium Size Enterprises, Student Loans, Low Income Housing, and Energy Efficiency/Renewable Energy.

Bus passenger busted with crack
According to police reports, yesterday morning around 10:30, police visited the Orange Walk Market Plaza where cops boarded a Tillet's bus and conducted a search on Emmanuel Chan, 36, cane cutter of August Pine Ridge Village, Orange Walk District.

Teen reported missing
Bertha Vasquez, 50, of Bullet Tree Village, Cayo reported that on Tuesday night around 8:20, she was at home with her four children and she had an argument with one of her daughters, Amelia Vasquez, 17. Vasquez then walked out of the house to [�]

Cycle stolen from Belize City IT-VET
Yesterday, Keira Munnings, 26, reported that at 8:20 a.m., she arrived at the ITVET compound and parked her black Meilun brand 100cc motor cycle valued at $1,950 in front of the building. Munnings said that around 10:15, she made checks and the motor cycle [�]

La Gracia Village gets Smart Solar Grid Energy Project
The Minister with responsibility for the Public Service, Energy and Public Utilities Frank Mena and the Chairman of La Gracia village Dario Menendez will inaugurate a Smart Solar off-grid rural electrification project the village in the Cayo District next Wednesday, May 24. In its [�]

Oceana's Hands Across the Sand to be held on May 20th
People across the country will gather to join hands on beaches, across bridges, along sea walls and in other public areas to stand in solidarity against offshore oil development in Belize, and to embrace a clean energy future on Saturday, May 20 at noon. [�]

Chamber slams Barrow administration for corruption
The Belize Chamber of Commerce and Industry (BCCI) issued a press release today stating that it has taken on the cause against corruption in the belief that the cost of corruption has become too great for our small, beloved country to bear. According to [�]

Pastor Wade pleads not guilty; granted bail
This morning, Pastor Wade pleaded not guilty in court to two charges of assault and using indecent words for an incident dating back to November of 2016 with Robert Montero, the son of Cayo Central Area Representative, Rene Montero. Wade was represented by Counsel [�]

Transformation apace- Development unhindered
Amid the revelations emerging from the Senate Special Select Committee Hearings, some of which are admittedly disappointing, to say the least, we must not lose sight of the fact that whatever went wrong at Immigration or any specific department or ministry (such as Lands [�]

PUP Condemns Disruption of Senate Inquiry
The People's United Party (PUP) have issued a press release condemning the disruption of the hearing of the Special Senate Select Committee on May, 17, 2017 by the UDP Chairman, Alberto August, Brian "Yellowman" Audinett, and Allan Kelly. "It is crystal clear that their [�]

Louis Wade to be charged for assault and using indecent words
Plus TV's owner and host of the Rise and Shine morning show, Louis Wade will be arraigned tomorrow morning at 9 at San Ignacio's Magistrate Court for "assault", and "using indecent words". Wade is being charged for an incident that occurred in November of last year between him [�]

Blogs

BREATH-taking views from the mountain top gazebo
There's something awe-inspiring about a birds-eye view of your surroundings, especially panoramas of nature's splendor. And, how you go about getting those views can be equally inspiring�especially when climbing a mountain! Such is the case when you accomplish the gazebo hike at the Sleeping Giant Rainforest Lodge. The top of the gazebo can be seen some 350 feet above the lodge, and doesn't look too far away, but of course looks can be deceiving! According to the lodge's information pamphlet, the hike is rated as moderate in difficulty, and should only take 20 minutes. Easy enough we think, let's go!

Future Expats Planning a Move to Belize
Great guest post from two Future Expats planning their Move to Belize. Jon and Eddie have been coming here since 2003 and this last trip (March 2017) was a big scouting event to make sure that their research had paid off and that they still felt the same location wise as to what part of the country they want to settle in. In addition to San Pedro, Belize, they visited Hopkins, Belize, Placencia, Dangriga, Caye Caulker - Belize and Corozal Town.

The 11 Most Instagrammable Spots in Belize
Belize is so incredibly photogenic. If you've never been, it's easy to imagine the beautiful reef and the SCUBA diving that the country is so famous for. But Belize, despite our tiny size, is so much more. Beach, reef, jungle, wildlife, mountains, INCREDIBLE culture all in a country smaller than the state of Massachusetts. And the huge bonus is the food. If you don't try, at the very least, fresh watermelon juice and conch ceviche, fry jacks and stew chicken, coconut rice & beans or breakfast tacos, fried whole hogfish and Belizean chocolate when you are here, you are crazy.

The Assassin's Kiss
This little critter is known to many by different names such as kissing bug, assassin bugs and in Latin America as chinches. They are members of the Triatominae family. They are found throughout the Americas as well as in other continents. They are infamous for several reasons, one for the sucking of blood and the other for spreading Chagas disease. They undergo a five stage instar resulting in a complete metamorphosis. In its first stage a wingless nymph hatches from an egg, and finally, the fifth instar turns it into an adult, acquiring two pairs of wings. During the day the bug hides in the thatched roofs and clay walls and at night comes out in search for blood when the host is asleep. Kissing bugs have an arsenal of ways to locate a host. They can use heat, carbon dioxide emanating from breath, as well as acids from skin, hair, and glands from vertebrate animals. During the night, adults fly to houses, attracted by light.

Lobsterfest Kicks Off the Summer Season in Belize
The summer season officially kicks off in June with several lobster festivals held around the country. Islands like Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker along with coastal communities like Placencia celebrate the opening of lobster season with multi-day festivals featuring a delicious assortment of culinary delights made from the world's favorite crustacean.

Discover Placencia Belize This Summer
A wonderful summer vacation awaits you in Placencia. Located in southeastern Belize, Placencia is a 16-mile north-sound peninsula on the golden shores of the Caribbean. Known for its laid-back "barefoot ready" vibe, Placencia is a beach community of resorts, fresh-squeezed juices, cozy cafes, and fantastic food.

International Sourcesizz

Ancient Maya Credited with Major Scientific Advances
It was a hot, sticky day in Belize. We had been warned to wear our hats and sunscreen and to drink lots of water. My wife, Gail, and I were visiting Altun Ha, an ancient Maya site near Belize City, the largest city in this Central American country. Our group gathered in the shade of a large tree as a tour guide explained that the Ancient Maya understood, 4,000 years ago, scientific and mathematical concepts that we take for granted today. I wondered how they developed these advanced concepts of astronomy, mathematics and time measurement so, after returning from our trip, I talked with Annebel Lewis, a socio-cultural anthropologist. Lewis, a retired professor at California State University, now lives in the Richmond area and teaches anthropology at the Chesterfield Lifelong Learning Institute. I asked her why ancient cultures became so interested in observing the skies and plotting the paths of the stars and planets.

Danger Signs: Caribbean Countries At High Risk For Devastating Climate Change Impact
The impact of climate change in the Caribbean is threatening the continued survival of some countries, and Governments must sit up and pay attention. That's the warning outlined in the Caribbean Marine Climate Change Report Card 2017, which focused on countries including Jamaica, Belize, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Guyana and St Lucia. It stressed the Caribbean was "in the front line" and at greater risk for more severe impacts than many other parts of the world because most of them are small islands where people live close to and depend on the sea. "As the seas, reefs and coasts on which all Caribbean people depend are under threat, much more needs to be done to protect these resources," the report said, noting that the authors recommend building more resilient environments to prepare for, and protect against, climate change.

Videos

• Belize Xunantunich, 16min.

• Belize Altun Ha, 8min.

• Belize - Cave Tubing, 16min.

• Belize - Howler Monkey Reserve, 19min.

• Highlights of Celebrate the reef "Reef Week Hol Chan 2017", 4min. Thanks to all participants and our sponsors!!!

• San Pedro Reef Week Lionfish Tournament, 2min. The country of Belize hosts various Lionfish tournaments throughout the country (year) to promote the eradication of the invasive species from our Barrier Reef. The tournament is a fun way to teach everyone the importance of keeping the Lionfish population down in order to preserve other fish species vital to the survival of the coral reef.

• 6th Annual Garifuna Film Festival Symposium Held Saturday May 13th in Los Angeles, California, 2hr.

• Indian Dance Nataraja Prince, 15min.

• The Rotary Club of Belize Sunrise - Celebrates 10th Anniversary, 27min.

• The Ice Cream Shoppe - Summer Flavors, 29min.

• Belize NOW | Episode 19 - Friday, May 19th, 2017, 25min. GOB Takes New Approach to Early Childhood Development, Directorate General for Foreign Trade donates equipment to government agencies, and Ministry of Tourism hosts National Tourism Policy Consultation Workshops. These stories and more on this week's edition of Belize Now. Thanks for joining us on this Friday, May 19th, 2017!

• Second MedRETE finished in Belize, 2.5min. Beyond the Horizon 2017 completes it's second of three Medical readiness Training Exercises in Belize that treated 5300 people in 10 days.

• Parasailing in Belize for Mother's Day, 11min.

• Diving in Shark Ray Alley - Belize - 2017, 7min. Great place to get up close to Nurse Sharks and Southern Rays!

• Quick ride through San Pedro Belize, 2min. Grabbing a golf cart taxi in San Pedro.

• San Ignacio, Belize, 2.5min. Border of Guatemala and Belize may 16 2017.

• Really Cool Belizean Firefly in Belize, Central America, 1/2min.

• Wee Wee Cutter Ants Working in Belize, .5min.

• WE ALMOST GOT LOST IN BELIZE!, 11min.

• Belize Vegan Roots B-ballers Meet Their Match, 11min. Game 4 in the 2017 Cayo Central Basketball Tournment when the Santa Elena Runners challenge the plant-powered, solar-fueled Belize Vegan Roots All-Stars. We note that from the begining of the tournament the Belize Vegan Roots were under-rated. This is the game that leaves no doubt that the Belize Vegan Roots do have the guts and the skills to grind it out on the court.

• Belize, 4min. Trip to San Pedro Belize

• Link Copied to Clipboard
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Cayo Espanto
    Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
    More Links
    Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
    Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 277 guests, and 0 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Forum Statistics
    Forums44
    Topics79,199
    Posts500,011
    Members20,460
    Most Online7,413
    Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
    BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
    BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
    BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
    and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.