Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Belizekids.org and Canary Cove launch new eye clinic
Through the team efforts of BelizeKids.org (BKO), Canary Cove, Stanford University in California, USA, the San Pedro Lions Club, and the Belize Council for the Visually Impaired (BCVI), San Pedro Town now has its first-ever, free eye clinic. Located at the current San Pedro Lions Den's BCVI examination room, the eye clinic is now equipped with all necessary machines in order to provide an array of services. Listwin explained his inspiration behind the project. "Healthcare is a big missing piece in this community, and my wife and I try to do a major project in the community every year. I have lived here part-time for 10 years, and I consider San Pedro as one of my home communities. We've been very fortunate in technology businesses, so we wanted to invest in the local community. This idea just came about as an accident. I met Lion Jan Brown who needed additional equipment for the Lions eye-screening program, and after meeting Dr. Fisher, who is my neighbor, all of this came together when we spoke to the San Pedro Lions Club.

National Tourism Policy consultations assesses Belize's Tourism Product
In an effort to update the National Tourism Policy (NTP), a consultation workshop was held at the Sunbreeze Hotel Conference Room on Thursday, May 18th. The United Nations (UN) has designated 2017 as the 'International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development', and are highlighting the need for a tourism policy that delivers sustainable and inclusive growth, protects the environment, celebrates cultural diversity, and enhances mutual understanding. The last NTP for Belize was prepared in 2005, and the Ministry of Tourism and Civil Aviation (MTCA) stated that a revised policy is needed to reflect current trends that are affecting the country's tourism industry. Consultations have been hosted in San Ignacio, Orange Walk Town, Belize City, Placencia, and Punta Gorda. San Pedro was the last stop for the Northern Islands and Belize Reef region.

3rd Annual Frenchie's Offshore Open catch and release tournament held in Caye Caulker
The 3rd annual Frenchie's Offshore Open was hosted by the Belize Game Fish Association (BGFA) out of the popular Lazy Lizard in Caye Caulker over the Commonwealth Day weekend, Saturday, May 20th and 21st. A total of 22 boats entered to compete for over $15,000 in cash and prizes. Despite the heavy southeaster breeze, the tournament was declared a success, and at the end of the two-day competition team 'No Worry Bout Nothing,' manned by Captain Aldo Urbina captured the grand prize. The first place trophy went to Captain Urbina and his team No Worry Bout Nothing, who recorded a total of 5,073.5 points over the two-day tournament and walked away with a cash prize of $5,000. In second place was Captain Hillyboo and his team Carly with a total of 2,574.5 points and $3,000. Capturing third place was Captain Codd with a total of 2,510 points and a cash prize of $1,500. In fourth place, with 1,042.5 points and a cash prize of $1,000 was team Arsenal, followed by team Fishizzle in fifth place with 704.5 points and a cash prize of $500.

Captain Shark's celebrates 20 years of service to La Isla Bonita
Captain Shark's Marine Center celebrated their 20th anniversary on Saturday, May 20th at their location on Lion Street in San Pedro Town. Throughout the day, there were great deals on accessories for fishing, boats, marine equipment; golf cart parts and amazing deals on their new Club Car golf carts. Visitors even had the chance to test drive the new and upgraded golf carts, which according to management are the only ones in town and available at Captain Shark's only.

Five-a-Side football tournament: Week two
Wednesday night saw three games take place in the male division. Games started at 7PM, and saw sweeping victories favoring the most prepared teams. At the end of the first night of games the results were: Jokers FC 4 vs Goliath 1, Rough & Tough 3 vs Tropic 1, and Rookies 6 vs Tuff Strikers 0. The second round of games continues on Friday, May 27th, and runs through the weekend starting at 7PM. Everyone is invited to come out and support our local athletes!

Ambergris Today

SUCCESS: Development Stop Order Issued On Property With Maya Mound
The Institute of Archaeology has issued a stop order on any clearing, construction or development on a parcel of land in the San Pablo Area of San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye, Belize after property owners decided to level a large section of a Maya mound located on site. Proper test pits will be dug on the San Pablo site in order to isolate Maya artifacts, record the significance of the side, preserving finds and the mound itself. According to Dr. Allan Moore there have been a number of stop orders placed on development attempts on this particular property as it seems that it has been sold a few times. Upon realizing that the property contains a Maya mound and that they cannot develop on the land, the owners have resorted into reselling the property.

Journalist Kendis Gibson Visits Belize After 11 Years
Belizean native, Kendis Gibson, residing in the United States of America has made a name for himself as a successful journalist. He just recently was named co-anchor of ABC's 'America This Morning' & 'World News." Two weeks ago he took a break from his television studio life to come back home in Belize and revisiting family and childhood memories.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Belize Chef Leads the Charge for Sustainable Seafood
Chef Jennie Staines has pioneered the use of sustainable seafood in Belize's dining scene. She's the head chef at Elvi's Kitchen in San Pedro on Ambergris Caye, the country's largest island and a major tourist destination. In addition to carrying on a family business that started in her childhood home, Staines has been a tireless advocate for reforming fishing-related laws and education in Belize. We recently spoke with the chef about her sustainable crab claw project, the best way to cook invasive lionfish and why she cares about buying and serving responsible seafood.

Miss Teen Belize
The girls are on la isla Bonita San Pedro! They were privileged to meet Mayor Daniel Guerrero . Thank you San Pedro Town Council for making this possible!

32nd BTIA Bi-Annual General Meeting
July 8, 2017

BTIA Meets With Airbnb Representatives
On May 11th, 2017, BTIA representatives held a meeting with two Airbnb officials, Mr. Shawn Sullivan and Mr. Carlos Munoz, who are responsible for Airbnb's public policy division for Latin America and the Caribbean. BTB's Business Development Manager, Sean Tang, also participated in the meeting. Airbnb is the number one online marketplace and hospitality service that allows people to lease or rent short-term lodging including vacation rentals, apartment rentals, homestays, hostel beds, or hotel rooms.

Defence Minister Hon John Saldivar calls for Stronger Relationships and More Meaningful Partnership in Regional Fight against Terrorism and Organized Crime
Belize's Minister of Defence Hon John Saldivar has called for stronger relationships and a frank and more meaningful partnership among nations of the region in order to effectively counter terrorism and organized crime. Hon Saldivar made the remarks at the Ninth Caribbean Regional Intelligence Conference recently held in Belize. "The dynamic, ever-changing, elusive global context of the 21st century has forced nation states to constantly review and reinvent the way decisions are made to reflect and address the growing demands of new and emerging social, economic and geo-political challenges," Hon Saldivar asserted. Elaborating on the new challenges and the opportunities they offer, Hon Saldivar stated, "By extension, these global changes have created opportunities to advance our partnerships and systems to address critical issues relating to security and defence which are unique to our times.

Our Full Moon Party is the most anticipated event in Caye Caulker. On Friday, June 9th, expectations will be fulfilled.

Subentiente lopez border from Belize to Mexico is still closed
Just a reminder to all visitors traveling to the Corozal Freezone or are heading to subentiente lopez border from Belize to Mexico is still closed. Only, motorcycles and pedestrians are allowed at this time to cross. Freezone motorcycles are back in services to allow the free flow of business. Since, two weeks ago the border was closed things had died down and not much movement is happening. It was closed down due to a drug activity that was happening here at the border. Things are back to normal. But, not for those who make money taking customers from Subentiente Lopez to the Freezone.

Presentations from YO Creek cultural groups
Here is an opportunity for you to experience a Cultural Exchange! Saturday: Presentations from our visitors and our very own YO Creek cultural groups. Sunday: Witness a demonstration of the Poktapok game commencing at 9:00am. Be sure to make an effort to attend!!!!!

NATIONAL CORN, COCONUT & BBQ FESTIVAL 2017!
This could be Corozal's main event of the year. There is no better time to come up to Corozal than for this three day event. Featuring Ms. Corn Fest Pageant, Bachata and Salsa Competions, MIss Top Model DIVA Finals, BBQ Competion, Bicycle decoration competion, 10 Gate prizes, Admission: General $10 Kids $5. July 14, 15, 16 at the Andres Campos Civic Center. Come support a great event. REMINDER - FINAL DATE TO PURCHASE BOOTHS IS THURSDAY, JUNE 15th, 2017. LAST CALL ON ALL CORN AND COCONUT SUPPLIERS IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY TO PLEASE CHECK IN WITH US TO PURCHASE YOUR BOOTH AND REGISTER FOR THE NATIONAL CORN, COCONUT & BBQ FESTIVAL COMPETITIONS at #9, 5th Avenue, Corozal Town where Transport Department used to be or call 662-2609 for more info.

Collage Art Exhibit
The SISE HoC has a new exhibit running through next month. It's art based upon collages. They have some pictures from the launch. "Launch of SISE House of Culture's New Collage Art Exhibition. The Exhibition will run though to June 30th."

Growing worms for soil
In the Vaca plateau farmers are being supported in the production of vermi-culture. The intent is to promote the reproduction and use of worms for soil richness.

Ordination of The Most Reverent Lawrence Nicasio
Blessings on the Ordination of The Most Reverent Lawrence Nicasio as the new Bishop of Belize! We look forward to working with you in serving our communities for years to come.

Noche intercultural and Maya Ball
Puksi'ik'al Maya in collaboration with Universidad Intercultural Maya de Quintana Roo Uimqroo Universidad presents a Noche intercultural and Maya Ball at Yo Creek, Orange Walk, Belize on Saturday 27th May 2017 and Sunday 28th May 2017.

Today is 8 Kib in the Maya Tzolk'in calendar
This day is associated with birds of death, of night and day, the vulture and the owl, who is the messenger of the gods of the underworld.

NEBL Finals
Game #2 of the NEBL between San Pedro Tiger Sharks and Belmopan Bandits ended with a final score of 81-73 in favor of Belmopan Bandits. Game #3 will be held in San Pedro Town for the NEBL Championship on Saturday, June 3rd.

Blood Drive to be held on Saturday
Belize Red Cross San Pedro Chapter (BRCSPC) will be hosting a blood drive on Saturday, May 27th at the Dr. Otto Rodriguez San Pedro Polyclinic II, from 9AM to 3PM. The BRCSPC encourages all donors to think RED--Rest well by getting a good night's sleep, Eat a good and high iron-based breakfast, and Drink plenty of healthy fluids before the blood donation. To find out more on how you can donate, what your blood type is, or are in need of blood, please email [email protected], or [email protected]. You can also visit their Facebook page at www.facebook.com/belizeredcrosssanpedro

Poets Corner: Censorship!
By Abdulmajeed Nunez. They aim to silence the voices of hope Anyone who's vociferous and says nope To the raping and pillaging our the countries resource They've dragged Moses name through the courts They arrested Jihad for a roach Arrested Geovannie and Fitz on false report They labeled Audrey persona non grata They arrest Luis Wade pan pure propaganda Even I was called out by the education minista

Jazz Fest... special Dinner/Concert at San Ignacio Resort Hotel
Saturday, June 10th...limited seating so get your tickets early...Belize International Jazz Festival 2017!!!

Fisherfolk Month
Belize celebration of men and women in the fishing industry. Caribbean Fisherfolk Day is celebrated on June 29th across the region. A ceremony at Memorial Park on June 1st @10 am will launch the month of activities.

Mango Fest BAREFOOTBEACH
Saturday, June 3 at 8 PM - 3 AM in Hopkins. The will take place in Belize in June 3, 2017. So get ready for the after bash at Belize barefoot beach bar.

INICIAMOS INTERNATIONAL TATTOO EXPO BELIZE
Friday, May 26 at 11 AM

Specialized bicycle patrol training
The Embassy, through its INL office, strengthens the Belize Police Department's capabilities by providing specialized bicycle patrol training. This partnership program brings together U.S. state and local law enforcement agencies, such as the PBSO - Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office, and Belizean law enforcement professionals to enhance Belize's capacity to counter international crime.

Paradise Theater playing this weekend
Beauty and the Beast, John Wick 2, Boss Baby, Kidnap

Channel 7

Grandmother Killed By Bees At Grandson's School
The doors were closed at the Arms of Love Primary School in San Ignacio today after a deadly bee attack. Yesterday afternoon at 2:30, Cruz Raquel Chan went to pick up her grandson at the school- as she usually does. But instead of wrapping her arms around her little boy and carrying him home, she was wrapped in the deadly grip of a swarm of Killer Bees. Chan died after she was stung 43 times. It was a terrifying and chaotic scene at the school grounds as students, parents and teachers were outside when the bees invaded. Courtney Weatherburne has more details on this attack. Like all school grounds, the one at Arms of Love Primary School in San Ignacio is always active with kids as they play or gather for outdoor activities. And yesterday afternoon during the 2:30 break, it was no different. But terror was unleashed as a swarm of killer bees descended on the crowded school compound. The teachers and kids scrambled into classrooms and shut all the doors and windows. But 60 year old Cruz Raquel Chan couldn't get away. She had just arrived at school to pick up her 6 year old grandson when the bees viciously attacked her.

Popular DJ Murdered, For What?
Right now, in the local fraternity of DJ's is mourning the loss of one of their own. He's Andrew Bennett, better known by his stage name, "Hard Rock", and he was at his home on Central American Boulevard last night. That's basically the headquarters for his music business, and where youths congregate to practice the art of disc jockeying. So, it should have been a safe place, but that's where Hard Rock's killer came to take his life. His entire neighborhood now grieves, and today, our news team went looking for answers. Daniel Ortiz reports: Evan "Mose" Hyde - Program Manager, Krem Radio: "Stunned. I don't know if there is any other word that comes to mind, but completely stunned and besides stunned, it's like, it's just, it's like when you get a punch in your gut, because I woke up in the middle of the night and saw the bunch of messages and I was like, I couldn't really put my head around its Hard Rock got shot down. I mean Hard Rock is not a gangster."

Hard Rock Overthrew "The President"
We also got a chance to catch up with 2 of his peers, the legendary DJ, Presi-D and the up-and-coming DJ Spice. Legend has it that some years ago, Hard Rock and Presi-D had a famous battle, where Hard Rock toppled his mentor from title of best DJ in Belize. That was a great upset because Hard Rock learned everything he knew about being a DJ from watching Presi-D work. So this evening, Presi-D discussed Rock's growth and influence in his community, and the significance of his loss. Presi-D - Hard Rock's Mentor: "When he used to come after school, he used to always want DJ with us. So I would tell him to finish school first, but when he finished school, the man used to hang out with us and DJ with us and we would show him because we don't hold down any youth. All the youths, we make sure they make it. The little youth was always inspired by us to DJ so, in respect the man used to come after primary school and come DJ with us and we told him finish school and then come DJ with us."

DJ Spice Remembers the Rock As A Mentor, A Pillar
So, as you heard in our interview, Presi-D thinks that it is up to the deejay's from the Hard Rock crew to carry on his legacy. One such student is Paul Gamboa, who's known on Krem Radio as "DJ Spice". Today, while he was in the middle of his evening segment on the Radio, he gave us an interview reacting to the gun murder of his mentor. Here's what he told us: Paul Gamboa "DJ Spice" - Mentored by Hard Rock: "It's rough and he brought me to where I am right now. He taught me everything about music, when I was a stray being bad boy and wanting to be a street boy, that man brought me into this world what I already had in me and he just brought it out. I watched him physically do that to enough youth. He's like a father to me, he's more than a father. Growing up I saw his face every single day of my life and it's hard to go through without seeing his face."

Senior Immigration Officer Accused Of Drunk Driving
An Immigration Officer assigned to the Big Creek Port has been charged for driving under the influence. Independence Police arrested 49 year old Antonio Teck on Friday May 19th. when they saw him swerving on the Cowpen road during daylight hours. He was driving a private vehicle and appeared to be drunk, so they arrested him. He was charged for driving with alcohol levels above the prescribed limit. He appeared in Independence Magistrate's Court today where he pleaded not guilty. Director Of Immigration Diana Locke did not reply to our question about whether disciplinary action would be taken.

No Jail for TV Thief Justin
Last November, Justin Longsworth's boss accused him of stealing eleven 49 inch flat screen TVs. Longsworth's boss, customs broker Jason Valdez, told police that on October 31st Longsworth cleared the TVs for the Radisson - but they never made it to the hotel. Security footage and signatures proved that Longsworth did indeed receive the shipment. When police questioned the driver Francisco Gutierrez, he admitted that Longsworth gave him one of the TVs in exchange for him keeping his mouth shut.

Vera Versus Modiri, The Verdict Coming
Viewers may remember Orlando Vera. He's the police department's Firearms Examiner who was charged last year August with the offence known as "abetment of the crime of perverting the course of justice." What that means is that basically he allegedly offered to take money - to make a criminal charge disappear in court. And it's no minor case in which he allegedly did this: it's the case of Michael Modiri, the Franks Eddy neighbour of the American Tour Operator Bradley Paumen. Paumen and 3 others have been charged with perverting the course of justice, for allegedly trying to plant a gun on Modiri, so that he could be sent to jail. Modiri beat that charge, but he said that between June and 1 and July 31, Vera offered to tamper with evidences so against him so that he could be acquitted.

Solar Grid Great For La Gracia
La Gracia Village in the Cayo District is remote, so much so that you would say, it's off the grid. But, in this case, that would be a literal meaning because La Gracia is also off the electrical grid. And that's why the village - which is due east of Valley of Peace was designated as a pilot site for what's called a "Photo Voltaic Smart Grid". It's basically a solar power system but this one gets the Smart designation because of its ability to harness, store and distribute power to an entire community, making sure that they constantly get 120 volts in their homes - just like regular folks who are supplied by BEL. The three quarter million dollar system was opened yesterday afternoon with all parties noting the change in the quality of life and education it will bring to the village:

Nazarenes Call Leaders "Unrighteous"
Pastor and television personality Louis Wade continues to get support in his fight with the Belize Police Department - and the political directorate. Earlier this week, it was the National Evangelical Association of Belize that came out supporting him and blasting the police. And today it is his denomination, The Church of the Nazarene. They issued a statement this evening saying, quote, "Pastor Louis Wade Jr. is one of our outstanding pastors who maintains a high level of integrity and commitment...To question his character in the way it is being done and to publish it nationwide is to discredit the Church of the Nazarene." The statement then takes a sharp political turn, saying, quote, "We fully support Pastor Wade in his endeavour to stand against unrighteousness, even if it is against leaders that make up our government. We are fully committed to praying for them, but will not condone any questionable act that will undermine our people as a nation." end quote.

Mental Health Experts Say No Love In The Triangle That Caused Lascelle Martinez's Death
And the Mental Health Association has also issued a statement. This one is about the murder of Lascelle Martinez in Punta Gorda, and all that talk about the love triangle that led to his death. The Mental Health Association says that "love triangle" term, quote, "trivializes an incident of domestic partner abuse that resulted in the death of one person, serious injury to another and probably ruin to the life of the accused." The statement adds, quote, "until we recognise that (these incidents) are fuelled not by love but by control and self loathing, we will not be able to reduce their impact on our families and societies."

BDF and Coast Guard Females Jostling To See Who Will Be Wonder Woman
The women of the Belize Coast Guard and Belize Defense Force are going head to head in the second annual Wonder Woman Challenge. The competition pits four teams of female officers against each other in several competitions designed to test their teamwork, endurance and mental fortitude. The event kicked off this morning with a six-mile relay race followed by a run-swim-run competition. The event's coordinator, Lt. Junior Grade Alma Pinelo, told us about the grueling challenge and the sense of sportsmanship and camaraderie it's meant the foster... Lt. Junior Grade Alma Pinelo - Event Organizer: "So what we've been doing this morning we started off with a six man relay. It's a two main event so today we'll be doing, this afternoon we'll be doing a run-swim-run competition, which is a run for one miles right here around the compound, there is a one mile ocean swim right there in the sea and then finishing off with a one mile run. Tomorrow we'll have two different events. Again at 8 and one being an obstacle course in the afternoon, and then a four lap run and each lap has different burdens that each team has to carry. The purpose of it was to do a security forces competition but for it to be all females.

Norman No More At KHMH
He's been the Director of Finance at the KHMH for almost three years, but quite suddenly, Norman Augustine is no longer in that job. The CEO today confirmed that the board decided to pay him off and send him home earlier this week. He would not discuss the grounds for this decision. Augustine was a contract officer first hired in November 2014.

How To Avoid Killer Bee Swarms
Earlier in the news, we had the terrible story of the grandmother who was killed by a swarm of Africanized bees. In 2014, Courtney Weatherburne asked bee experts about how you can avoid a bee swarm or survive an attack. Here's that story from our archive:.. Courtney Weatherburne reporting: At the first sight of a bee flying near, fear overcomes and the initial reaction is to either run or swat the bee away. Bees are seen as dangerous creatures even more so as a swarm. the Africanize bees has a different behavior; you van never know what they will do, they are unpredictable. But what causes the unpredictability in the behavior of the Africanized honey bees? And how did they even get to Belize?

Mestizo Spring Meets Creole Autumn In New Poetry Collection
We all know Myrna Manzanares and her passion for the Creole culture. But, now, she's ventured into something different by teaming up with a teenaged girl to compile a book of poems. It's called "The Healing Circle" and after 2 years of distillation, it was launched today at the St. Catherine's Auditorium. Now what could a grown woman like Manzanares have in common with a 17 year old girl? Well...More than you think ... Courtney Weatherburne has the story: Since there are two authors - there are also two launches. Today's event was for Azizi, and, tomorrow, Manzanares will have her own launch at the Leo Bradley Library at 10:00. The Governor General is slated to attend.

A Festival Celebration
The National Festival of the Arts is an annual treat in the month of May - and the 2017 edition was launched today at the BTL PARK. And of course, the Institute of Culture and Arts brought out their stars with a dose of concentrated cuteness. But it played in a park - not the Bliss Center. The organizer told us why: You can see live Festival of the Areas coverage here on Channel 7 on Saturday morning at 10:00 made possible by NICH, CBC Cable and this channel. The National Festival of Arts runs from the 25th May to 3rd June and is the culmination of Festivals held in each district from February to May.

Channel 5

DJ "Hard Rock" Murdered on the Boulevard
There was a senseless murder in the city on Wednesday night, breaking a lull of three weeks when Ludwin Lalin was executed not far from his house in the Jane [...]

Senate's Mark Lizarraga: No Right to Disruption in National Assembly
There is mounting public outcry at the scandalous behavior of high profile U.D.P. operatives during recent senate hearings that are unraveling blatant corruption at the Immigration Department.� Business Senator Mark [...]

Lizarraga Maintains He Will Not Be Intimidated
Wednesday's meeting was abruptly cancelled at the request of the Opposition, which says there were threats of violence. All things considered, the P.U.P. also says it did not want to [...]

Why is Government Silent on Incident?
The political fallout in the wake of that very regrettable incident sheds light on the utter lack of respect for the so-called Honorable House.� It also emphasizes a lack of [...]

Nazarenes Call Out Government for Treatment of Louis Wade
The home church of Pastor Louis Wade Junior has come to his defense, calling the charges of assault and use of insulting words "totally unacceptable." �The Church of the Nazarene [...]

Africanized Bees Kill Cayo Grandmother
A sixty-year-old woman died after she was stung by killer bees in San Ignacio on Wednesday. Cruz Chan was on her way over to a primary school in the Kontiki [...]

DuPlooy's Robbed in Cayo
Earlier this evening, DuPlooy's Lodge on the Benque Viejo Road was apparently robbed. Benque Police have reported to the scene as of news time, but according to Officer in Command [...]

Ruling Set in Case of Alleged Perversion of Justice by Firearm Examiner
Remember the Belize City Police Department Ballistic Examiner, Orlando Vera?�In January 2016, he was charged with the offense of abetment to pervert the course of justice. Allegations are that Vera [...]

2 Charged in Aggravated Burglary Case
A well-known George Street figure and his girlfriend will be spending�their second night on remand at the Belize Central Prison for allegedly committing an aggravated burglary at the home of [...]

"The Maul" for Contrabandistas, Warns Godwin
Earlier this month, the Government of Belize agreed with its Mexican counterpart to close the old border crossing at Subteniente Lopez entering Chetumal. A new, larger crossing is open at [...]

Sugar is Sweet!
The sugar crop season in the northern districts is close to wrapping up and there has been a distinct lack of news from the area, which for this important industry [...]

Shrimpers Working to Get Back Certification
The prestigious Aquaculture Stewardship Council suspended certification of four Belizean shrimp farms in April. But the local Shrimp Farm Association claims that the farms – Paradise Shrimp Farm, Tex Mar [...]

Potatoes: From Overabundance to Scarcity?
A few months ago, farmers in the Cayo and Orange Walk Districts had thousands of pounds of potatoes rotting in the fields. It was produce they were unable to sell [...]

No Controls Over Local Banana Prices
Was Minister Hulse aware that prices for local bananas have gone up? Bananas are said to be sold at six for a dollar as opposed to eight.� The answer is [...]

Clearing the Way for More Exports
The Ministry of Agriculture has adopted the mantra of "Let's Get Growing." They are trying to revive a flagging export economy that has long been concentrated on raw material like [...]

National Festival of the Arts: Belize's Best Take the Stage
The Children's Festival of the Arts takes center stage this weekend, as it does each year at this time at the Bliss Center for the Performing Arts. But for the [...]

Who is Belize Law Enforcement's "Wonder Woman?"
As children perform in dance, music and drama, female officers are taking part in the Belize Coast Guard's second annual Wonder Woman Challenge, taking place at its headquarters on the [...]

Precision Dancers Take Bliss Stage
A dance show, the second of its kind by a young company, will be on display at the Bliss Center for the Performing Arts.� Precision and Style Dance Company is [...]

Poets Azizi Hoy, Myrna Manzanares Team Up for "The Healing Circle"
An anthology of intergenerational poems by two Belizean writers has been condensed into a book that was launched today at the Saint Catherine Academy Multipurpose Center. The Healing Circle, by [...]

The Second Annual C-Ray Cycling Club High School Series
The second annual C-Ray Cycling Club High School series held its finals today. One hundred and thirty students from ten high schools in the Belize District gathered at the Marion [...]

Healthy Living: Could You Be Like EMT Javier Canul?
For the first time, Belize is commemorating World E.M.S. Day. Emergency Medical Services is an integral part of health care continuum. We may never think of how important it is [...]

LOVE FM

Bureau of Standards Investigate Concerns on Flour Repackaging
Reports have been circulating of some grocers repackaging flour under a different brand in Dangriga. It is a situation that is not unheard of as it has been reported in several other instances. It is, however, misleading to the consumers and is a matter that requires some attention. With that in mind, we contacted Jose [�]

KHMH Finance Director Terminated
Love News has just confirmed a few minutes ago that the Financial Controller of the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital, Norman Augustine was terminated earlier this week. Our source indicates that it was a case of about thirty five thousand dollars missing from the hospital but according to the KHMH CEO, Dr Adrian Coye, there are [�]

Opal Enriquez Issues Statement on Rath's Allegations
Weeks after Miss Belize Rebecca Rath represented the country in the 2017 Miss Universe Pageant, her father Tony Rath published a five part blog entitled, "The Rocky Road to Miss Universe". In it, the Raths went after the National Director of the Queen of the Jewel Organization, Opal Enriquez. They accused her bullying, sabotage and stealing. Since [�]

Opal Is Calling It Quits
So now that Opal Enriquez has defended her reputation against the allegations made by the Rath Family, what happens now? Well Enriquez is calling it quits. In a second statement, Enriquez talks about resigning and focusing on personal goals. She writes quote, "After careful consideration and the resolve that the dream we envisioned for Belize [�]

Woman Attacked and Killed By Africanized Bees in San Ignacio
A sixty year old woman was killed by Africanized bees yesterday evening in the Cayo District. Cruz Raquel Chan had left her home in the Kontiki Area of San Ignacio Town en-route to Arms of Love Primary School to look for her three grandchildren who attend the school. While waiting, Chan and other persons were attacked [�]

Defence Minister Wants Stronger Ties to Fight Terrorism and Organized Crime
The Ninth Caribbean Regional Intelligence Conference was recently held in Belize and during his address, Minister of Defence, John Saldivar spoke about organized crime and terrorism. Minister Saldivar called for stronger relationships and a frank and more meaningful partnership among nations of the region in order to effectively counter terrorism and organized crime. He said [�]

Interventions Go Beyond Meetings, Says Chester Williams
Yesterday we told you of the regional report that was released earlier this week from the InterAmerican Development Bank that endorses interventions as part of an anti-crime strategy. Assistant Commissioner of Police, Chester Williams says he was happy to read the findings in the report which were from a survey conducted in four Caribbean nations. [�]

Big Red Swept Off to Harvest Caye to Be Held Captive
One of the most poached animals in the Chiquibul is the beautiful scarlet macaw. About a year ago one of the birds was rescued by the Belize Bird Rescue and given the name of Big Red. Since then the bird had been rehabilitated for release but on Tuesday evening Big Red was reportedly handed over [�]

La Gracia Village Powered with Solar Grid
La Gracia Village in the Cayo District is now completely powered as the Smart Solar off-grid rural electrification project was inaugurated yesterday. The pilot project which saw the international collaboration of the UK and Swiss Governments cost about seven hundred thousand dollars. Present for the inaugural ceremony were British High Commissioner to Belize, His Excellency [�]

Belize Sees 28,857 Births From 2012 - 2015
The World Health Organization has reported that each year there are about fifteen million babies that are born premature; meaning that they are born before the 37th week of gestation. It is a situation that health officials are trying to address via public awareness to expecting mothers. Research shows that the key contributing factors for [�]

Belize Reports to CARICOM on Affairs with Guatemala
It is very rare that updates on the status of discussions between Belize and Guatemala reach the media via the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the Belize Press Office. On occasion we do get to meet with the Foreign Minister, Wilfred Elrington but even so it is not enough to be kept abreast of where [�]

Lemoth Shot Inside Boulevard's Barber Shop
23-year-old, Hammon Lemoth is in an induced coma after being shot to the head last night. Lemoth was working inside a barber shop on Central American Boulevard when the shot that changed his life was fired. Clara Salman is Lemoth's mother. She heard the gunshot ring out last night just after nine o'clock. CLARA SALMAN [�]

Belize Is Ahead On Interventions with Gangs
The outcome of a study by the Inter-American Development Bank has strongly recommended the use of interventions as part of anti-crime efforts being undertaken by various Caribbean countries. The intervention method in fighting crime has been the hallmark of ACP Chester Williams' career since he returned from his legal studies. Williams has been criticized on [�]

Scouts Association Bestows Governor General with Lifetime Achievement Award
The Scout Association of Belize presented the Governor General of Belize, His Excellency Sir Colville Young with the Leopold Balderamos Lifetime Achievement Award. He was presented with the award on Monday in a short ceremony. President of the Association, Jersha Lennan told us about the presentation. JERSHA LENNAN "This award is given to somebody of [�]

DPM Faber Leads Delegation to Cuba
Deputy Prime Minister Patrick Faber is currently leading an official high level delegation in Cuba. There the DPM will hold discussions to deepen the scope of cooperation between the two nations. In addition, the DPM will be meeting with the Ministers of Education and Culture and other government officials to strengthen mutual development in culture, [�]

PUP Wants Yellowman Gone as Macebearer
Media houses in Belize including this station have signed on to a letter condemning the actions of Mace Bearer Brian "Yellowman" Audinett. Audinett verbally threatened 7News Cameraman Dennis Ellis telling him he would throw him over the railing if he did not stop recording. The threat was made in the presence of several other cameramen [�]

The Buck Stops with Senate Chairman Salazar
The police officers who were present at the National Assembly last Wednesday when the Senate Inquiry was disrupted by supporters of the United Democratic Party including the Mace bearer were criticized for not detaining or removing the noise makers when the incident occurred. To the regular citizen it may seem clear cut for the officers. [�]

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

PlusTV

"Hard Rock" gunned down in Belize City
Last night, another man was shot and killed in Belize City. Reports are that shots rang out on Central American Boulevard and when it subsided , 42-year-old Andrew Ian Bennett, A.K.A. "Hard Rock" was dead. According to police reports, at approximately 7:43 p.m. last night, Bennett was at the bus sto...

Church of the Nazarene calls charges against Pastor Wade "unacceptable"
The Church of the Nazarene issued a press release this evening saying that it "�.finds the charges made against Pastor Louis Wade Jr. totally unacceptable." Those charges, as you may be aware, were made by the son of Minister of Works Rene Montero after Wade was conducting investigations into what ...

Pastor Scott Stirm spoke to witness in Pastor Wade's case
As we have reported before, Pastor Wade went to follow a story in San Ignacio almost 6 months ago where he alleges that he was almost run over by a red vehicle while videoing a newly built stadium. Wade showed the footage of that assault on his Rise and Shine program the following day where viewers ...

Woman dies after being attacked by bees
A woman was attacked and killed by Killer bees. Yesterday, 60-year-old Cruz Raquel Chan of San Ignacio Town was on her way to pick up her son from Arms of Love Primary School in the Kontiki area of San Ignacio when she was attacked by a swarm of bees. As a result, Chan succumbed to her injuries and ...

Police Ballistic Examiner awaiting verdict in abetment to pervert justice case
In January 2016, Orlando Vera, Police Ballistic Examiner, was charged with the offense of abetment to pervert the course of justice. Allegations are that Vera offered to assist Belmopan Businessman, Michael Moderi, who had a gun case pending before the court, by tampering with evidence in order to h...

Couple on remand after allegedly attacking ex boyfriend
A well known George Street figure and his girlfriend will be spending their second night on remand at the Belize Central Prison after they were denied bail following charges of aggravated burglary . 26 year old Nicoli Rhysand 28 year old Ester Garcia appeared before Senior Magistrate, Sharon Fra...

$3,000 fine for stealing 11 flat screen televisions
After one week on remand at the Belize Central Prison, 29 year old Belize City resident, Justin Longsworth was slapped on the wrist with a fine of $3,000 for stealing 11 flat screen televisions. Longsworth was found guilty of stealing the 49 inch flat screen television sets which were to be delivere...

The Guardian

4 Million dollar football field for San Pedro
Residents of San Pedro proudly gathered at the San Pedro Ambergris stadium along with Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Education, Youth and Sports, Hon. Patrick Faber; Area Representative, Hon. Manuel Heredia and the Mayor of San Pedro, His worship Daniel Guerrero to officially declare the state of the art facility opened. Speaking at the event, Mayor Guerrero noted that 33 years ago residents of the island would not have imagined that the municipality would have developed by leaps and bounds as it is now. He said that the new facility is a testament of progress being ushered by the United Democratic Party Government. "The biggest asset of the island is the people," he said, and added that it is through the effort of and hard work of those that came before that the new facility is made possible. He also took time to thank the Prime Minister, Rt. Hon. Dean Barrow for the investment in the island. And the investment is a significant one, according to Belize Infrastructure Limited's Christy Mastry, a total of 4.4 million dollars was invested in the 4 and a half acre space of land. She said that half of this was actually mangrove swamp and it took some doing for the facility to be constructed. Mastry noted that for the synthetic field to have been installed, proper drainage was necessary. She said that at the beginning the highest point on the pitch was only 10 inches above the lagoon water level. That had to be raised to between 32 and 36 inches in order for the turf to be installed.

Woman stung to death by Africanized bees
A woman from the Cayo District has been stung to death by Africanized bees. A woman at the Arms of Love Primary School in the Kontiki Area, located at the periphery of San Ignacio, died on Wednesday evening as a result of being stung numerous times by the aggressive bees. At about 2:45 pm, San Ignacio Police received reports of a swarm of Africanized bees attacking a group of persons at the Arms of Love Primary School. Unfortunately one of the victims of that attack was a 60 year old domestic, Cruz Chan. After the attack by bees, she was immediately taken to the San Ignacio Community Hospital where she was pronounced dead on arrival.

Louis Wade charged following his tall tales
Louis Wade, the talk show host from Belmopan who has maintained consistent Pro-PUP views, is facing criminal charges in the Magistrate's Court in San Ignacio. He will have to answer to an allegation that he disrespected and assaulted a Belizean citizen during the course of what he says was his investigation of a news story. The incident allegedly happened on November 27, 2016 at the compound of the Santa Elena Sports Complex, which was being constructed. Wade claims that someone called him for the next "UDP scandal". That's when he went to the Complex, and he allegedly got into an altercation with Robert Montero. The complainant says that Wade assaulted him and used insulting words. Wade on the flip side, is claiming that Robert Montero, the son of the Minister of Works, Rene Montero, arrived at the Complex after him. Wade claims that Montero saw him taking pictures and videos of the working men and equipment, and according to Wade, Montero tried to run him over with the red pick-up he was driving.

There is need for us to explain that although Alberto August has been joined by persons who are members and supporters of the UDP, the protest being done and led by Alberto August is being done by him as a PRIVATE CITIZEN and not in his capacity as the Chairman of the UDP. That is important because Eamon Courtenay and the PUP are trying to push that protest as being a UDP action, that had been sanctioned by the leadership of the UDP. August as a private citizen enjoys the same privilege that Mr Courtenay enjoys. There are times when Courtenay acts in his capacity as Eamon the Senator, who was appointed by the Governor General on the advice of the Leader of the Opposition.

Deputy Prime Minister visits Cuba
Deputy Prime Minister, Hon. Patrick Faber is on a working visit to Cuba. Hon. Faber accompanied by Minister of Tourism, Hon. Manuel Heredia; Minister of State in the Ministry of Health, Hon. Angel Campos; and other representatives in the Ministries of Investment and Foreign Trade arrived in Cuba on Monday May 22. During the visit the delegation will have high level discussions with Cuban counterparts in the various ministries represented. One of the stops by the Deputy was a visit to the Cuban Medical School where students from 92 countries are currently enrolled including 60 Belizeans. The school was first established in 1998 as a facility to train healthcare personnel from developing countries. The idea was born after the Cuban government sent a medical brigade to Belize and other countries in 1998 following natural disasters.

PUP begs for postponement of Senate meeting
The Guardian Newspaper has confirmed that the People's United Party through its leader asked the chairman of the Special Senate Select Committee to postpone the meeting which was scheduled for May 24. They claim that had some intelligence that there was going to be some security risk at the meeting. There is absolutely no evidence to the PUP's claim but it seems that the Senate Select Committee's work has now ran its course and the PUP, in a feeble attempt are trying to keep the Senate engaged as long as possible hopefully into the next municipal elections with the hope that it would sway voters against the UDP. What the PUP does not understand is that there is not a single person who was called or will be called that will be running for the UDP in that election.

Hon. Macario Coy follows up on Aguacate R.C. donation
To celebrate the Cuba-Belize diplomatic relationship and the 26-year Cuban medical cooperation in Belize, the Embassy of Cuba held a medical symposium and scientific day on Thursday, May 18, 2017 at the Inspiration Center in Belize City. Special Envoy for Women and Children, Kim Simplis-Barrow, wife of the Prime Minister Rt. Hon. Dean Barrow, thanked Cuba for its dedication in capacity building and interchanging ideas in Belize specifically as it pertains to developing the health care system in Belize.

Cuban medical mission 26 years in Belize
To celebrate the Cuba-Belize diplomatic relationship and the 26-year Cuban medical cooperation in Belize, the Embassy of Cuba held a medical symposium and scientific day on Thursday, May 18, 2017 at the Inspiration Center in Belize City. Special Envoy for Women and Children, Kim Simplis-Barrow, wife of the Prime Minister Rt. Hon. Dean Barrow, thanked Cuba for its dedication in capacity building and interchanging ideas in Belize specifically as it pertains to developing the health care system in Belize.

Inauguration of La Gracia Smart Solar Grid Energy Project
Hon. Frank Mena, Minister of Public Service, Energy and Public Utilities, along with Dario Mendez, Chairman of La Gracia Village, Cayo, inaugurated a Smart Solar off-grid rural electrification project in the village, the first of its kind in the country. This took place on Wednesday, May 23, 2017 in an effort to provide access to electricity for all Belizeans. Rural electrification using solar powered off-grid systems has been identified as a key component in the strategic plan. This state-of-the-art system will provide electricity to more than 45 households. One benefit of the system is that it has the capacity to increase supply to meet future demand. This system will be monitored and operated remotely for efficiency and effectiveness.

Old Hospital building in San Ignacio being refurbished
Work is ongoing to refurbish the old San Ignacio Hospital by the National Institute of Culture and History (NICH). Efforts are being conducted to preserve it as a historical landmark in San Ignacio Town. George Thompson, Associate Director for Park Management within the Institute of Archaeology says that "we are working very hard to ensure that the entire design remains the same just as people have been accustomed to seeing, we are ensuring that we maintain the architecture of the building." NICH is now working along with the San Ignacio and Santa Elena Town Council to follow a time line in re-building the old hospital as the Town Hall is also being built nearby. Actual work on the old hospital building began about two months ago and may be completed by August of this year.

Neighborhood watch meeting held in Las Flores
A highly interactive meeting between community leaders and members of the Las Flores and Hillview community was held on Tuesday night at the community center in Las Flores, near Belmopan. Present at this meeting was the Hon. John Saldivar, Representative for the Area; Mayor of Belmopan Khalid Belisle and members of the Belmopan City Council. The meeting in Las Flores on Tuesday night was well attended and is the first in a series of neighborhood watch meetings that have been organized by the Belmopan City Council. "Keeping the promise!!! Staying in touch," reminds the Hon. John Saldivar, who is representative of the Belmopan Area and also Minister of Defense.

Police nationwide tour launched
On Thursday 18th May, Honorable Elodio Aragon Jr. launched his Countrywide Police Formations Tour. This was seen as a necessary exercise by Honorable Aragon in order to assess the strengths and weaknesses of the department. In order to make informed decisions at the ministry level, Aragon has decided to take a comprehensive tour of all the police formations and facilities and to meet personally with every member of the Police Department. The first leg of the tour took Aragon to the Orange Walk District formation. It is only fitting that being from Orange Walk Town himself, he visits this formation first. In the morning of 18th May, a Guard of honor was mounted by members of the Orange Walk Police Station and they were inspected by Honorable Aragon.

Davone Gillett remanded for gun incident in Pink's Alley
Davone Gillett, a 20-year-old resident of Pink's Alley, has been charged with aggravated assault and has been remanded to the Belize Central Prison until July 18, 2017. A woman alleges that she was assaulted by a man holding a gun at her through Majestic Alley. In a police report made on May 17, Shirley Mejia, a 41-year-old Pink's Alley resident, claimed that on Tuesday, May 16, she and her daughter-in-law saw a young man come from the direction of Munoz Alley and asked Gillett what was happening. She later saw another man hand over a firearm to Gillett. Mejia claimed that Gillett held and cranked the firearm and pointed it toward her direction.

Placencia police received information on Friday May 19, 2017 of a fatal road traffic accident between miles 20 and 21. There they observed a grey four-door Toyota 4 Runner on the side of the road. Under the Toyota was a red and black Honda Shadow motorcycle. Near the motorcycle was 45-year-old Shams Moose, an Indian national of Maya Beach with head and body injuries apparently dead.

Arson in Belize City and Orange Walk
Orange Walk police received information on May 20, 2017 of a house fire at Chips Alley, Louisiana Area, Orange Walk Town. There they saw an 18' by 20' plywood house with zinc roofing engulfed in flames. The flames were eventually put out but not before all the contents were destroyed. Investigations reveal that Roy Mangar had a misunderstanding with his father Lincoln Pratt where Mangar threatened to burn down the house. Pratt received a phone call at his workplace that his son was dismantling his house. He made his way to the house where he saw Mangar setting the house on fire. Mangar has since been detained and is pending charges of arson.

Drugs and gun found in the city
Police conducted a series of searches in Belize City that led to the discovery of cannabis and a firearm. On May 19, 2017, Eastern Division South Strike Team personnel conducted a house search at No. 46 West Collet Canal in the Conch Shell Bay area, Belize City. That search resulted in the discovery of a black plastic bag containing cannabis. The drug was weighed and amounted to 383 grams. As a result, Wilton Anderson, a 38-year-old fisherman, was arrested and charged for drug trafficking.

Duo accused of attempted murder out on bail
Elward McKay and his alleged accomplice Alexander Bainton are out on bail after their attempted murder case was committed to Supreme court on Friday, May 19, 2017. The duo will have to stand trial for several charges including robbery. They were represented in court by attorney Steven Perera where they appeared before Senior Magistrate Sharon Fraser. They were charged jointly with four criminal offenses, attempted murder, use of deadly means of harm, dangerous harm, and robbery.

Kidnappers granted bail
Two of four men that were linked in an armed robbery and the kidnapping of a Corozal resident are out on Supreme Court bail. The men, Ryan Espinosa and Jeffrey Gongora, have been granted bail in the sum of $10,000 each after being brought before Justice Antoinette Moore in the Belize City Supreme Court. Eder Hall was robbed at gun point and later kidnapped. The incident occurred in Ranchito Village and four men were charged in connection to the crime. They are Jeffery Gongora, Eder Lopez, and brothers Ryan and Jason Espinosa.

Micah Goodin a no show in court
Back in November 2016, the People's United Party held an election for a new Belize Youth Movement president. Karim Adle Sr., father of one of the candidates that ran in the election, was accused of physically assaulting Micah Goodin, a PUP youth operative. Goodin was an active supporter of Ivan Valencia, the opponent of Adle. Adle Sr., 55-years-old, was charged with common assault after Goodin alleged that Adle Sr. walked up to him, pushed him in the chest, choked him with both hands, and pinned him against the wall. The incident occurred on Saturday, November 5 and on Tuesday, Novmber 8, Adle Sr., was arraigned.

Series of robberies and burgularies in the country
On May 19, 2017, 20-year-old Lawrence Young Jr. of Belize City reported that he was riding on Lawrence Avenue when a male person rode up beside him on a bicycle pulled out a firearm and robbed him of his gold chain valued at $600. On the same date, police visited a Dunn Street, Belize City residence where they learnt that Michael Acosta of the same address was transported to the KHMH. Investigations reveal that Acosta was at home with his family when two male persons came to purchase ice cream. When he was serving the ice cream, one of the persons pointed a firearm at him and proceeded to kick him in the nose and mouth. His common-law wife was robbed by the other person who made off with $16,163 worth of jewelry.

Ryan Alvarez sentenced to prison for robbery of an Immigration officer and a businessman
One of three men accused of being a part of a robbery was sentenced to two 5 year sentences in the Belize Central Prison. He is Ryan Alvarez who was accused, along with Russell Bernardez and Darrington Louriano (deceased), of the 2012 robbery in the city where Lindsey Wade, an Immigration Officer, and Dorian Usher, a businessman, were held at gunpoint. The allegation made against the men was that on June 1, 2012, they robbed Usher and Wade. Usher was robbed of a $600 gold bracelet, $2,000 gold chain and medal, and two rings valued at $1,000 and $900. Wade was robbed of his $680 HTC cellular phone, $395 Samsung phone, $125 silver and gold chain, $2,800 white and gold chain, $120 Fossil wallet, BZ$300, and US$300.

Hummingbird Elementary girls and Holy Redeemer boys capture National Primary Schools Volleyball titles
elize Elementary School Auditorium and the Stars' Volleyball Gym. In the girls' championship game played, Hummingbird Elementary School representing the Belize District won handily over the Toledo Christian Academy representing the Toledo District by the score of 25-8 and 25-8 to capture the national title. Meanwhile, in the boys' championship game, Holy Redeemer boys' representing the Belize District defeated Howard Smith Nazarene representing the Cayo District in three sets by the score of 25-23, 23-25 and 15-9.

San Pedro Tiger Sharks a win away from reclaiming Pepsi National Elite Basketball League title
The Pepsi National Elite Basketball League 2017 competition entered its championship round on Saturday 20th May, with the first game in the best of three series at the San Pedro High School Auditorium in San Pedro Town between the San Pedro Tiger Sharks and the Belmopan Bandits. In the first game of the championship series, the top team in the league, the San Pedro Tiger Sharks, won over the number three seed the Belmopan Bandits by the score of 69-60. A win for the San Pedro Tiger Sharks on Thursday 25th May will give the team its third title in four years. However, if the Belmopan Bandits find the will to win and wins on Thursday 25th May, then a game three will become necessary. If a game three becomes necessary, it will be played on Saturday 3rd June, 2017, at 9:00 pm at the San Pedro High School Auditorium.

Canoeists to participate in Puerto Rico Olympic Cup
The Belize Canoe Association will participate in the Puerto Rico Olympic Cup scheduled for May 30-June 5, 2017, in Salinas, Puerto Rico. The Belizean team will consist of 6 athletes, which includes Amado Cruz, Bayron Cruz, Jesus Linares, James Alford, Ruth Cruz and Milenie Cabb. The athletes will compete in the sprint kayak races in the K1, K2 and K4 categories.

Roaring Creek Grace Kennedy maintains lead in the Cayo District Raymond Garbutt Softball competition
The Cayo Softball Association 2017 Raymond Garbutt Senior Female competition continued on Sunday 21st May, at the Raymond Garbutt softball pitch in Roaring Creek Village, with three games on the schedule. In the first game played, Belmopan Bandits defeated the Unitedville Rebels United by the score of 11-4. The winning pitcher was Ashley Lucas and the losing pitcher was Francine Salazar.

Belize City primary schools basketball competition continues
The Belize City Primary Schools Basketball competition continued on Tuesday 23rd June, 2017, at the Gateway Youth Centre with four games on the schedule. In the first of two games played in the girls' competition, All Saints Anglican School won over St. Luke Methodist School by the score of 8-2. The top scorer for All Saints Anglican School was Imanie Nunez with 4 points while the top scorer for St. Luke Methodist School was Ashley Guevara with 2 points. In the second game played, St. Joseph School defeated Muslim Community School by the score of 16-4. The top scorer for St. Joseph School was Afeni Lamb with 10 points while the top scorers for Muslim Community School were Zakiyyah Sacasa and Dynah Bethran with 2 points each.

Words of Life
In the Gospel of Matthew chapter 19, verse 29, Jesus said, "Everyone that has forsaken houses, or brothers, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life." When I read this saying of Jesus, I was reminded of what I had to leave behind to come to Belize. My daughter Gail is in Bermuda, bringing up my granddaughter Sky by herself, and I sometimes wish I was there to assist her!

Of Sovereign's day and Guatemala
Publisher, Evan X Hyde wrote: "You have to wonder about Belize, you know. This weekend we will be celebrating yet another of these holidays for which none of us natives really understands the explanation or rationale." 'None of us natives really understands' is a false generalization! On May 24, 2013 Janine Leslie posted: Commonwealth or Sovereign's Day, as it is known to us today, is the annual celebration of the Commonwealth of Nations an inter-governmental organization of 54 independent or sovereign states. The organization promotes free association, the common values of democracy, human rights, good governance, the rule of law, free trade and even world peace. Belize joined the Commonwealth of Nations in the year of its independence, 1981. Belize is known as a constitutional monarch within the Commonwealth. This means that the Queen is no longer involved in the country's daily governance but still continues to play a significant role in its ceremonial and symbolic events.

Gender Inequality
Many countries continuously aim in granting individuals equality through the equal distribution of rights, freedom, and opportunities. However, for many countries, achieving equality has also become a great struggle due to the magnitude of inequality that differs across societies. Gender inequality has become a universal dilemma due to the existence of gender schemas and legal gender differences. This issue of gender inequality is also seen in a small country like Belize, as the women may not be fully recognized or given the same opportunities as men. Though many people may be oblivious to the existence of gender inequality, as a citizen of Belize, it is imperative that we each begin taking those steps in becoming aware of these detrimental issues. As a student, I take great interest in this topic as every individual has the right to gain equal opportunities and social positions. Consequently, gender inequality, has fostered gender-based violence and has limited women's economic opportunities and social positions in society.

Belizean tops Caribbean Association of National Telecommunications Operators video competition
Wednesday, May 17, 2017 was World Telecommunication and Information Day and the Caribbean Association of National Telecommunications Operators announced that a Belizean won the annunal competition. She is 18-year-old Jo-Elisa Clarke of Calcutta, Corozal. Clarke has won four times since the inception of the competition eleven years ago. CANTO's annual video competition was held under the theme of: "Technology and me- Exploring the Possibilities of ICT." The video demonstrated ways to promote and disseminate information from a business to consumers with the use of technology. In Clarke's presentation, she used a water compay to convey the idea that a small business can be developed with the use of technology. She showed that this can make an impact on the entire country and not just the business.

Casual swim in Bermudian landing claims life of a woman
An afternoon swim in the Belize River this weekend ended in tragedy when the victim, 23 year-old Denia Joselyn Zelaya, drowned. Reports are that she was on the river bank in Bermudian Landing, and when she slipped and fell in. The water current quickly swept her away, claiming her life. Reports to the police are that Zelaya and her common-law husband, Police Constable Dion Bellini, went to the village to enjoy a few hours in the river valley village. On Sunday, May 21, they were enjoying the cool waters of the Belize river near to the Black Howler Evolution Tour, which is a popular swimming location. Reports are that the afternoon was going as planned, but sometime around 1:30 p.m., Zelaya was standing on a cement slab on the river bank, and she lost her footing.

ITVET showcases its talents
For the rest of the week, teachers and students from ITVET schools all across the country will be celebrating Technical and Vocational Education and Training Week. For these students, it's a special time to remember that their education matters just as much as the traditional forms of learning. This year, it is being observed under the theme, "Diversity TVET: Providing and Promoting Equal Opportunities for both men and women." Whether Belizeans realize it or not, a large population of the country's youths are getting educated through the schools which offer technical and vocation education and training (TVET). It allows for young people who are not equipped for the conventional types of schooling, but who can learn a craft they are fascinated with, which will also empower them to become employed.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Taxi uproar in Cayo
A group of concerned and upset taxi men contacted BBN today to share their discontent with the San Ignacio/ Santa Elena Town Council. According to the men, the Mayor of the Twin Towns, Earl Trapp is charging all the Cayo taxi operators a trade [�]

Defence Minister calls for Stronger Relationships and Meaningful Partnership in Regional Fight against Terrorism and Organized Crime
Belize's Minister of Defence, John Saldivar has called for stronger relationships and a frank and more meaningful partnership among nations of the region in order to effectively counter terrorism and organized crime. According to a release issued by the Ministry of Defence, Saldivar made [�]

Belize to implement ecosystem-based marine conservation and climate adaptation measures
The Marine Conservation and Climate Change Adaptation Project (MCCAP) in the coastal areas of Belize is being implemented by the Ministry of Forestry, Fisheries and Sustainable Development (MFFSD) with fiduciary management assistance from the Protected Areas Conservation Trust (PACT) as the National Implementing Entity [�]

Belize City Police investigating murder of Popular DJ
According to police reports, last night around 7:45 , police visited an area on the Central American Boulevard, Belize City where they saw the body of Andrew Ian Bennett, 42, of #26 Central American Boulevard with several gunshot wounds to the head and body. Police investigation [�]

Swarm of bees sting an elderly woman to death in San Ignacio
Yesterday around 3 pm, police visited the San Ignacio Hospital where the body of Cruz Raquel Chan, 60, of Trench Town area San Ignacio Town was seen. Police investigation revealed that Chan was on her way to pick up her son from Arms of Love [�]

Motorcycle valued at $1000 stolen in Spanish Lookout
stolen Kenneth Braun,18, a truck driver of Route 20 East, Spanish Lookout Village reported to police that on May, 9th 2017 at 5 a.m., he left home leaving his black Meilun motorcycle under a shed. Braun said that when he returned home on May,20th [�]

Disruption should not be tolerated in the National Assembly says Godwin Hulse
In an interview with the media yesterday, the Leader of Government Business in the Senate, Godwin Hulse said that any disruptions by any group be it UDP or PUP should not be tolerated in the National Assembly. According to Hulse, the rules governing the [�]

Popular Belizean DJ murdered in Belize City
Last night, a popular DJ was gunned down in the streets of the old capital. Around 7:30 last night, shots rang out on Central American Boulevard where Andrew Bennett was killed in front of his home. Bennett aka "Hardrock" was famous in the Belizean music industry [�]

Ladyville man survives early morning shooting
Police are reporting that this morning a Ladyville man escaped armed assassins. According to reports, at around 6:39am, Mr. Clive Jones, 30, visited the Ladyville Police Precinct and stated that he was riding his bicycle on Perez Road from work at the 24 "7" Gas [�]

UDP Seeks to Derail Senate Hearings says PUP
The Opposition, People's United Party (PUP) issued a press release today stating that even though they are aware of the Prime Minister's heavy-handedness and the dictatorial manner in which he runs the country, they are seriously concerned and appalled at his disingenuous actions where [�]

Deputy Prime Minister Heads High-Level Delegation on Official Visit to Cuba
Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Education, Culture, Youth and Sports, Patrick Faber is presently leading an Official High-level Delegation to the Republic of Cuba from May 22 to 26 2017. According to a Government of Belize press release, he is accompanied by Manuel Heredia [�]

Blogs

A Beautiful Orchard in Cayo: Lychees, Coconut and Jatropha in Cristo Rey, Belize
Just outside of San Ignacio, Belize, there is a turn off that heads up into the hills, the Maya Mountains of Belize. The road, paved and then unpaved takes you to Cristo Rey Village, to San Antonio (where lots of Belize's peanuts are farmed) and then farther up to where the landscape totally changes - to the Mountain Pine Ridge. Cristo Rey is a beautiful place - huge trees, beautiful manicured gardens, homes along the river and this sign. I'd driven past it before on the way up and made a mental note to find out if I could have a look around. I found a real estate listing - "Buy A Lychee Farm in Belize". Through the real estate agent, a friend of mine, I was put in touch with the 101 acre farm owner - and set up a time to visit. Someone in Western Belize growing an Asian fruit (I saw them fresh for the first time in Thailand - and a second time, just a few weeks ago, in a fruit shop in San Pedro, Belize)�I wanted to know more. A 15 minute taxi ride and I was there.

St. John's Cathedral, The Oldest Church in Belize City
Located in the heart of Belize City, St. John's Cathedral is one of the few physical legacies of the long period as a British colony. Built in 1812 as the Church of England's headquarters in Central America, the cathedral was once used to crown four different native kings of the Miskito tribe in lavish ceremonies matching the pomp and circumstances of coronations in Europe. Today, the cathedral is the oldest surviving building constructed by Europeans in Belize. Using the enormous ballast stones brought over from Europe, English colonizers in what was then known as British Honduras erected the mighty St. John's Cathedral as the power base of the Church of England in Central America. Visitors today can marvel at the well-preserved architecture made from sapodilla and mahogany wood, an antique pipe organ and tombstones of English colonists from the earliest days of the settlement of Belize City. St. John's Cathedral is located in downtown Belize City just a few hundred feet west of the Government House. The cathedral is located directly across from the House of Culture and sits at the intersection of Albert and Regent Streets.

Top 15 Resorts, Lodges & Hotels in Cayo Belize
Over the years, Cayo has been dubbed as the Eco tourism Capital of Belize due to its abundant of Maya ruins like Caracol, Xunantunich and Cahal Pech, waterfalls like Rio on Pools and Thousand Foot Falls, meandering rivers like the Macal and Mopan, and spectacular caves like Actun Tunichil Muknal and Barton Creek. Cayo also has a plethora of resorts, lodges and hotels that can be used as bases to explore the wonderful attractions of western Belize. Below we have put together a list of the top affordable and reasonable resorts, lodges and hotels in Cayo that you can stay in on your next vacation:

Top 10 Best Beach Resorts in Belize
Belize is one of the last unspoiled places on the planet and is rapidly growing in popularity as a to-visit destination in the Caribbean and Central America. In fact, the Caribbean Tourism Organization (CTO) recently released figures showing Belize coming in at second place on the list of fastest growing tourist destinations in the Caribbean, behind only the Turks and Caicos Islands. With its white sandy beaches, lush rainforests and close proximity to the world's second largest barrier reef, Belize is ultimate travel destination. Take a look at our expert top picks for the best beach resorts in Belize.

Lazy Pelican Bar At Ocean Tide's Hotel San Pedro Ambergris Caye
Located In the town of San Pedro, on the island of Ambergris Caye, you will find our beachfront resort with unobstructed reef views. Enjoy snorkeling, diving, fishing, along with free wi-fi all walking distance to downtown. To make reservations contact the hotel at their website: http://tidesbeachresort.com/ Have you ever wonder what kind of place to hang around while visiting San Pedro Ambergris Caye? Do you love the pool, beach and over-viewing the Caribbean sea? You don't have to go far up north in San Pedro because Raymond Varela, the Bartender will give you great services at Lazy Pelican Bar. While, you sit back and relax, you can have Raymond's famous drinks while enjoying the weather. Raymond has a variety of list of drink

Mathew Fox was seen hanging around at Palapa Bar and Sandy Toe's
Yesterday, a fan from Mathew Fox posted on Twitter that she had met Mathew Fox while visiting San Pedro, Ambergris Caye. Mathew Fox acter, was hanging around at Sandy Toe's and Palapa Bar. Mathew Fox is recognized as an acter on Movies. Matthew Chandler Fox (born July 14, 1966) is an American actor. He is known for his roles as Charlie Salinger on Party of Five and Jack Shephard on the supernatural drama television series Lost.Fox was born in Abington, Pennsylvania, the son of Loretta B. (n�e Eagono) and Francis G. Fox.

TO ALL CARD HOLDERS: EXPANSION MEXICO TO SEVEN DAYS THE STAY OF BELIZEANS REGIONAL VISITOR CARD HOLDERS
The Embassy of Mexico in Belize reports that on May 19, an amendment to Section III of Article 52 of the Migration Law was published in the Official Gazette of the Federation, by means of which it extends from three to seven days Stay of citizens and permanent residents of Belize and Guatemala bearers of Regional Visitor Cards. This card, which is issued free of charge in the Office of the National Institute of Migration on the Puente Subteniente L�pez Bridge (the old bridge), allows holders to enter Mexican territory by authorized immigration inspection points whenever they wish, Circulate for the States of Quintana Roo, Campeche, Tabasco and Chiapas and stay for up to seven days without requiring any payment upon departure.

International Sourcesizz

NOAA predicts active Atlantic hurricane season with 5 to 9 hurricanes
The federal government predicts an unusually active 2017 hurricane season for the Atlantic Basin, with five to nine hurricanes expected to form. Overall, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration forecasts 11 to 17 named tropical storms will develop in the region, which includes the Atlantic, the Caribbean Sea and Gulf of Mexico, the agency announced Thursday. The season officially begins June 1 and runs through Nov. 30. Of the hurricanes, two to four could be major, with wind speeds of 111 mph or higher and rated as Category 3, 4 or 5 on the Saffir-Simpson Scale of Hurricane Intensity. An average season typically spawns six hurricanes and peaks in August and September. A tropical storm contains wind speeds of 39 mph or higher and becomes a hurricane when winds reach 74 mph. Meteorologists at Colorado State University last month estimated 11 tropical storms will form, with four becoming hurricanes. The late Colorado State University meteorologist William Gray was the first scientist to make seasonal hurricane forecasts back in the 1980s.

U.S. airlines bracing for 'imminent' laptop ban expansion
U.S. airlines and some related businesses are making preparations for an imminent decision by the Trump administration to expand the airborne laptop ban to flights from Europe and possibly other regions, maybe as soon as Thursday, several sources told POLITICO. One U.S. airline source said his company is "preparing like they're about to" roll it out. "We haven't gotten firm confirmation but by all accounts. It looks like we think they're going to do it" within the next week - but probably sooner rather than later, he said. "I just know that based on our assessment of what [DHS] told us, we're preparing for it to happen," he said.

Above-Normal Atlantic Hurricane Season is Most Likely This Year: NOAA
Residents living in Hurricane Alley need to prepare for what may be another busy Atlantic hurricane season. In its first outlook for 2017, issued Thursday, NOAA's Climate Prediction Center predicted a 45% chance for an above-normal Atlantic hurricane season, a 35% chance for a near-normal season and a 20% chance for a below-normal season. NOAA gave a 70 percent likelihood of 11 - 17 named storms, 5 - 9 hurricanes, 2 - 4 major hurricanes (Category 3 or higher on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale) and an Accumulated Cyclone Energy (ACE) 75%-155% of the median. These numbers include Tropical Storm Arlene, which developed in April over the northeast Atlantic. If we take the midpoint of these ranges, NOAA called for 14 named storms, 7 hurricanes and 3 major hurricanes. This is above the 1981-2010 seasonal averages of 12 named storms, 6 hurricanes and 3 major hurricanes.

No answers in Belize murders
Francesca Matus and her American boyfriend vanished into the night one month ago. Less than one week later their bodies were discovered in a Belize sugar cane field near Matus's seaside villa in Corozal. An autopsy revealed Matus, 52, of Keswick and a mother of two, and Drew DeVoursney, 36, a former U.S. Marine from Atlanta had been strangled to death. And it appears local cops - with assistance from the FBI - are no closer to making an arrest in the disturbing slaying.

Climate change and flooding threaten 4.2 million people on Caribbean and Pacific islands
A new study by the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) estimates that 4.2 million people in small island developing states (SIDS) in the Caribbean and in the Pacific are living in areas that are prone to flooding due to rising sea levels. In addition to coastal erosion, rising sea levels are expected to negatively impact economic output and employment and could aggravate inflation and cause an increase in government debt, according to the study, A Blue Urban Agenda: Adapting to Climate Change in the Coastal Cities of Caribbean and Pacific Small Island Developing States. "Caribbean and Pacific coastal cities are on the frontlines of climate change," said Michael G. Donovan, senior urban specialist at the IDB, co-author of the study. "It is critical to adapt and improve the resilience of cities in coastal zones, especially those experiencing rapid urbanization. Mayors in port cities across the globe could benefit from the policies that small island developing states are developing as their governments respond to coastal transformation," he added.

Five Caribbean Countries Forecast To See Economic Growth This Year
The International Monetary Fund says Latin America and the Caribbean are bouncing back from recession and the regions are expected to see "secure strong and inclusive growth going forward." So which Caribbean countries are set to see real GDP growth this year? Here is News Americas Now Top 5 pick based on the IMF data: Rounding out the Top 5 list is the Central American CARICOM nation of Belize, which is also forecast to grow by 3 percent this year, more than giants Brazil, Mexico and Argentina. Still, Alejandro Werner, Director of the IMF's Western Hemisphere Department, warns: "With heightened policy uncertainty at the global level but low market volatility, countries in our region should focus on insuring against downside risks, while targeting strong, sustainable, and inclusive growth."

New phase for hub and spokes trade initiative launched at Barbados workshop
An innovative trade initiative that is expanding opportunities for business, employment and prosperity in African, Caribbean and Pacific countries will be extended to February 2019. The hub and spokes programme is a joint initiative of the European Union, ACP Group Secretariat, Commonwealth Secretariat and Organisation Internationale de la Francophonie. Through the programme, trade advisers are placed in government ministries and regional organisations to provide support and build local capacity to develop trade policies. To kick-start the ambitious next phase of the aid for trade programme, 40 of the programme's main stakeholders, including 16 trade advisers, are gathering for a workshop in Bridgetown, Barbados, between 22 and 23 May.

Lionfish map
Most recent update of the lionfish invasion map from Pam Schofield PhD and Amy Benson MS of USGS as of April 24, 2017.

New Cayman government uncertain as independents win majority
With independents securing three major government ministers' scalps and the opposition failing to secure any seats outside of its traditional West Bay stronghold, the final results of Wednesday's general election have left the Cayman Islands facing significant uncertainty over who will form the next government. The results were all in well before midnight, but the question of who will lead the next government in the British territory and who will be sitting in Cabinet is completely up in the air.

Videos

• Directorate General for Foreign Trade Donates Equipment to Government Agencies, 3min. On Monday, May 16th, several Government agencies received equipment for the advancement of their online systems. This was accomplished through the 10th European Development fund.

• Journalist On The Run in San Pedro, 1min. Thanks Journalist On The Run, we love it too

• Big Jack Crevalle on a spoon, Shore fishing Placencia Belize, 3min. Using big heavy spoons and casting of shore in Placencia produced a nice Yellowtail Jack Crevalle. Couldn't have done it without the help of Darnell. Just bouncing them off the bottom for a bit, then reel it fast.

• Belize 2017, 4.5min. Belize, May 2017. Hol Chan, The Reef and Gladden Spit.

• Travel Belize 2017, 9min. My first travel vlog is set in the beautiful country of Belize. We stayed the first few nights in the jungle in the Cayo district just south of San Ignacio. From there we flew to San Pedro where we did some amazing snorkelling and then spent our last few days on Caye Caulker. If you haven't been, you gotta go.

• Tour por las calles de San Pedro, Ambergris Caye,Belize, 5min. Calles de Ambergris Caye en carro de golf.

• Yucatec Maya of Belize playing the Poktapok, 2min. The Yucatec Maya group Ek Balam poktapok of Belize from the village of Yo Creek in Orange Walk playing the ancient Maya ball game at Nim Li Punit video by Courtesy by Felicta Cantun of U Puksi'ik'al Maya from Yo Creek,Orange Walk.

• Bonefish Feeding Frenzy Belize, 2.5min. Feeding some big and aggressive bonefish on South Water Caye in Belize. We were feeding them with lionfish and they love them.

• ANOTHER SCHOOL BENEFITS FROM CENTAURS INTERNET FOR SCHOOLS PROGRAM SAN PABLO GOVERNMENT SCHOOL, 5min.

• Tropic Air landing at Belize Int, 1min. Awesome view landing at Belize International Airport.

• RIP TO OUR BROTHER HARD ROCK, 8min.

• Link Copied to Clipboard
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Cayo Espanto
    Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
    More Links
    Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
    Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 117 guests, and 0 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Forum Statistics
    Forums44
    Topics79,204
    Posts500,028
    Members20,468
    Most Online7,413
    Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
    BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
    BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
    BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
    and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.