Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#524065 - 06/15/17 05:20 AM Earthquake Felt In Belize, Slightly  
Marty Online happy
Marty  Online Happy

If you felt a little shudder under your bed at around 1:30 2:00 this morning, it was the effect of a strong earthquake on the southwestern Mexico/Guatemala border.  

The 6.9-magnitude quake damaged buildings in the Mexican state of Chiapas, and in Guatemala, one person was killed when a church collapsed. 

An aftershock struck around 20 minutes later. There were widespread blackouts and landslides in Guatemala as a result.

Channel 7

Guatemala And Mexico Affected By Earthquake Belize City Just Minor Tremors

Residents living in Belize City experienced minor tremors in the wee hours of this morning due to an earthquake which struck around 97 miles west of Guatemala City in the San Marcos district, near the border with Mexico. Reports coming from the US Geological Survey indicates that the earthquake measured a magnitude of 6.9 and occurred sometime after 1:00 a.m.

The earthquake was preceded by a series of significantly smaller quakes which reportedly hit the Pacific coast of Chiapas, followed by an aftershock approximately 20 minutes later. There were reports of landslides, power outages, and damages to homes across both countries.

Further reports from ‘Channel News Asia’ indicated that a Catholic church collapsed in the southwestern Guatemalan village of San Sebastian claiming the life of a twenty year old male while a woman reportedly died as a result of a heart attack near the border of Mexico. Among more than a dozen people who were injured altogether, was a female minor who was injured by a sheet of metal roofing which reportedly slid off a building in San Marcos.

Guatemala is prone to earthquakes due to the fact that it is located where two of the earth’s tectonic plates meet. We understand that educational facilities found in the affected areas were closed down for the day for the conduction of building inspections.

CTV3

#525729 - 09/09/17 05:58 AM Re: Earthquake Felt In Belize, Slightly [Re: Marty]  
Marty Online happy
Marty  Online Happy

Deadly Mexican Earthquake Shakes Belize

Last night at a few minutes to 11:00, Belizeans all across the west and north felt their beds and walls shaking. Those were the tremors coming from a powerful earthquake off Mexico's west coast near it's border with Guatemala. At least 58 persons were in Mexico by the country's most powerful quake in a century.

The effects of the quake were felt as far out as Mexico City, Guatemala, and of course, Belize got a little taste of it as well. If you're like me, you were terrified, while others didn't even know it happened. Today we went out to Albert Street to sample reaction to the quake.

Interviewee 1
"I was sleeping and I woke up and when I realize it was a tremor I went outside and start to give God thanks and praise and beg for his mercy."

Interviewee 2
"To be honest I didn't feel anything. I was dead asleep."

Interviewee 3
"Just a little concern, just a little shaking that occurred. This one was just a little slight shaking."

Interviewee 4
"Last night I was on the phone and thing talking to one of my friends in America and all of a sudden I see the whole bathroom started to shake and I was like what the heck, and then I started to show it to them and they were like get out of that house, because it might collapse. So when I call one of my buddy he told me that they were outside the house right now because the house felt like it was about to fall. When I look outside all the trees were rocking."

Interviewee 5
"I didn't know it was an earthquake. I was in a waterbed. My bed was just moving and floating and I am like what's going on? Am I dreaming and then I said no, let me start praying and then like about 4am my niece call me and ask if I know it was an earthquake. Am like no, but my bed was like I was in a waterbed."

Interviewee 6
"I did feel it, but I didn't get scared. I was just wondering what was really happening here. But I wasn't afraid."

Reporter
"Were you at home?"

Interviewee 6
"Yes I was already in my bed."

Reporter
"Did you see things shaking?"

Interviewee 6
"I went out in the kitchen and I saw all the glasses shaking, but I wasn't afraid."

Interviewee 7
"I was in my bed. When I got up the morning and I checked social media I see everyone was posting about the earthquake. Some people posts some pictures about their wall cracks and what's not. I didn't know it was that serious. I was just sleeping in my bed. I am a hard sleeper."

Interviewee 8
"This tremor, it happened around 10pm. It kind of frightened me. It shook the TV little violently, but if I didn't held on to it, it would have fallen."

Interviewee 9
"I was in my friend house at a party there, but the chandelier was shaking. We came outside and saw the Scotiabank sign jumping."

Interviewee 10
"I was in my house sitting down and all of a sudden I felt the trembling and my wife told me, she said to be careful with the TV because it might fall."

Interviewee 11
"My house was shaking. The TV and my bed was shaking. I felt kind of frightened."

Reporter
"And did you go outside?"

Interviewee 11
"Yes I stepped outside and saw the vehicles shaking and the house."

Interviewee 12
"Immediately I felt it. I realized what it was. I said a prayer for safety upon everyone and at the same time I called down to my nephew and ask him why are you shaking the bed like that? And he said no its moving. Then I realized that something is happening."

Interviewee 13
"I was working and I felt everything shaking, but I just stand still right there."

Interviewee 14
"In Democracia we felt that. It shook my cement house. I wanted to know if my bed would have been broken."

Interviewee 15
"I was in my bed. When I felt it I thought it was my dog. I have a Pitbull. It was my husband who told me that it was an earthquake and we ran out and we went on the sand to feel the ground shaking. It was my first experience."

Interviewee 16
"I felt the earthquake. I was in bed. I wasn't really asleep. I felt the bed shaking. I thought it was my imagination. I got up and I realize my floor was shaking and then I went to my daughter's room and she was jumping up because her room was shaking and it lasted for a while. I could hear my chandelier shaking downstairs."

And while Belizeans can marvel at the odd experience, there is real loss and suffering in Mexico, mostly in the city of Juchitán de Zaragoza, where 36 people died.

Channel 7

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
Paradise Guy Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Mini Chat
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Marty, 1 invisible), 43 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics66,691
Posts468,956
Members19,101
Most Online1,262
Jun 10th, 2007

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.