FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

NEMO ADVISORY NO. 3 – BROAD AREA OF LOW PRESSURE OVER THE NORTHWEST CARIBBEAN
NEMO and the National Met Service hereby inform the general public that the broad low pressure area over the north-western Caribbean Sea continues to show signs of development. This system has a medium chance for tropical cyclone formation within 48 hours, and a high chance during the next three to five days. Some models show a weak circulation developing over Belize starting tonight which could continue up until Tuesday. Other models continue to suggest that the low will develop farther north and move slowly north-westward over our area. This system is expected to bring moderate to heavy rainfall over the country tonight and next week. Heaviest rainfall is likely to occur over central, southern and some coastal areas during the night-time and over northern and inland areas during the afternoon hours. The concerns remain localized flooding in low coastal communities and flash floods near rivers and streams especially in the south.

Wolfe’s Woofer: Free
“This is a nice place you have here,” I said to Rhayburn. “Yah, it’s a good little local bar,” he said. “I opened it twenty-four years ago and it’s kept the bills paid all this time.” On our way back from Merida, Sherry and I arrived too late for the last flight to Ambergris Caye. We had to overnight in Corozal so I wandered downtown for a beer, where I met Rhayburn. Since Belize is such a small country, we predictably knew a lot of the same peple. While we were chatting a young man walked in. “Mr. Rhayburn,” he said. “My mama sent me for the beer.” Rhayburn took a case of Beliken Stout from a stack and handed it to him.

Doctor Love: Shygirl
Dear Doctor Love, I am not good at meeting guys and making small talk. I’m quiet and shy, so they lose interest in me quickly. My best friend suggested internet dating might be the answer, but I don’t know anything about it. I meet people on the internet and have actually been asked for a date but how do I approach internet dating? I think I would meet someone and form a relationship easier if I didn’t feel as though I was put on the spot like I do in person. /s/ Shygirl

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Fatal accident on highway
A woman was riding her motorcycle on the road to Valley of Peace on Saturday, June 17th. Fabiola Cruz crashed and passed away. She was well known and had a very popular tacos stall by Westar. She's from Young Bank, Camalote area. She will be missed. Condolences to her family and friends.

Scubble Summer Camp
Looking for an entertainment for your children this summer? Here's how! Scubble Summer Camp is here once again for children to be entertained while out of School.

The Reporter

Murder in Cayo
San Ignacio police are investigating a murder which occurred in the municpality on Friday night. On Saturday police found the body of Maynor Portillo, a resident of Santa Elena town, at the Novelo’s Convention Centre in San Ignacio town. Police have said they will release further details into this incident as they becomes available.

Ministry of Agriculture on the lookout for small hive beetles
The Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries, Forestry, the Environment and Sustainable Development and Immigration is launching a special survey of apiaries (bee farms) in the country, looking for diseases and pests, particularly among Small Hive Beetles (SHB). The apiculture survey, is a diagnostic assessment which will run countrywide from July 3-21. The survey begins in Toledo, from July 3-6; Stann Creek, July 7; Cayo, July 10-13; Belize, July 14; Orange Walk, July 17-19; Corozal, July, 20-21. The Ministry is conducting the survey in collaboration with Belize (Organismo Internacional Regional de Sanidad Agropecuaria) OIRSA.

Crime Stoppers to host special training sessions
Crime Stoppers Belize will be working with Crime Stoppers International (CSI) in the coming week, to host special training sessions for law enforcement agents, to combat organized crime. The training, to be held from June 19-23, is a part of a Caribbean/Central American Initiative, aimed at disrupting criminal networks involved in contraband smuggling and counterfeiting. Agencies such as the Customs Department, the Police Department, and Border Management Agency will participate in the training, which will be held at several border point areas, namely, the Corozal Free Zone, Belize City, San Ignacio Town and the Big Creek Port.

The following is a press release from NEMO on the flood situation in southern Belize
NEMO and the National Met Service hereby informs the public that due to a broad low pressure area which is slowly developing in our region, heavy rainfall is expected to continue along the coast and over the southern part of the country today. The concern is for localized flooding in low coastal communities and flash floods near rivers and streams especially in the south. During the remainder of the weekend some development is expected as the system moves slowly north-westward across the Yucatan Peninsula and over portions of northern Belize. A tropical cyclone could develop next week over the southern or central Gulf of Mexico.

Blogs

My Weekend in San Pedro, Belize: Rain Clouds, Farmers’ Market. A Webcam and The Pool Opens at Reef Village
The talk (at least in my household) has been about the weather – a storm wave is coming that has been promising rain. And while we’ve seen some dark clouds (beautiful) and had some showers (refreshing and needed), it’s been nothing monumental. But then the front is still hovering off our shore. My eyes have been riveted…I mean GLUED…because I have a crazy crazy trip planned (I’m a 5th Wheel) for tomorrow. One that involves a helicopter and a posh resort owned by the director of the Godfather movies. But let me tell you about my weekend so far…the slight dip in the temperatures has been gorgeous and the scenery? Even more so. View 6 miles north – just north of Costa Blu Resort. Yesterday I headed to the Farmers’ Market at The Truck Stop. 11am to 2pm each Third Saturday of the month. Lots of tasty stuff…French pastries, organic veggie and fresh foods.

International Sourcesizz

10 Best Tropical Places to Travel in November for Warm Weather
So what about the best tropical places to travel in November for warm weather? Insider Monkey recently published an article in which we can find the great answers for this question. Do you love sunshine, sea, fantastic meals and good drinks? If yes, you need to just pack your luggage, put your sunglasses and sun lotion into your bag and go to somewhere tropical place. Tropical belt sounds like a great plan to avoid rainy autumn weather in November. Most of African, South American and South Eastern Asian continent belong to this belt, which is famous for many tourist destinations because of natural beauties. We have picked three tropical place from Insider Monkey’s list: Cuba, Hawaii and Belize. The average temperature in Belize is : 25˚C/ 77˚F. Belize is a Central American country with the least population density among Americas, only 35 people per square mile, which leaves a lot of space for natural wonders, so make sure you visit some of those. Apart from rich nature, Belize is also rich in archaeological treasures of ancient Mayans.

Tropical Wave in the Caribbean Has Big Storm Potential
There’s a high chance that a tropical wave currently located over the western Caribbean Sea will develop into a storm early next week. In fact, the National Hurricane Centre (NHC) in Miami says there’s a 90 percent probability of it happening within the next five days. There’s still a chance – 60 percent – that it will form within the next two days. “The broad area of low pressure located over the northwestern Caribbean Sea continues to produce a large area of disorganized showers and thunderstorms. Gradual development of the system is expected while it moves slowly northwestward across the Yucatan Peninsula later today and over the southern or central Gulf of Mexico tomorrow and Tuesday, where a tropical or subtropical cyclone is likely to form,” the NHC said.

Videos

• You have to see San Pedro, Belize from Above!, 3min. Love the final 20 seconds of this video showing that lone (unfinished) house on the West Side of Ambergris Caye. It also makes me so happy that the sargasso has moved out! We spent a week learning how to scuba dive in Belize. We also had our DJI Mavic Pro with us the whole time. From the ground this is a flat island so you have to get in the air and see this island from above.

• Cave Diving Under the Ocean in Belize, 3min. A little clip on one of our favourites, the Winter Wonderland cave in Belize. Best viewed in 720p. Our greatest thanks to our friend Chip at Belize Diving Services for making this possible.

• Belize Diving, 4min. Belize Dive Trip 2017

• San Pedro Island and Mayan Ruins, 3min.

• Belize..., 5.5min.

• Caye Caulker, Belize - Drone Video (2k), 4.5min. 'No Shirt, No Shoes…No Problem.' You'll see this sign everywhere in Belize, but no place is it more apt than Caye Caulker.