FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Letter to the Editor: Apathy should be a crime
Last night, July 24th, at approximately 7pm, I heard a horn. I thought the horn got stuck at ‘ON’ but no one turned it off or dealt with it. I then thought it might be an alarm, so I called the San Pedro Police and reported it. Our call dropped, but the police had the location information. At 8:30pm the horn continued, but I had to go to bed. When I awoke at 2:20am, the horn was still blaring. (I did not call the police at that hour) At 5:30am when I awoke for my work day, STILL the horn was blaring. At 6am, I again called the police to inform them that the horn had been ON for 11 hours and it probably was not a golf cart but an ALARM. They told me they would check on it again. I

Wolfe’s Woofer: Wood Leg Pedro
“Mario called while you were out,” Sherry said. “He wants you to hire one more worker to help him put up the fence in the back yard.” “There’s no chance of that.” I said. “He already has one helper. If you have one worker you get things done. If you hire two workers you get things half done. If you hire three, you usually end up doing it yourself.” Mario, my sometimes yard worker, showed up a few minutes later. “Mr. Dennis, will you give me a ride to meet Pedro at the taco place?” “Do you mean Wood Leg Pedro—the guy with a wooden leg?

Letter to the Editor: Our Children are one of our Greatest Assets
In 1990, Belize became the fifth country in the world to ratify the Convention on the Rights of a child. In doing this, Belize hoped to provide children with the protection necessary to be raised in an environment that will enable them to become well- rounded, and productive citizens. The CRC contains 54 substantial articles that speak of the human rights of children. In an effort to disseminate these rights they were broken down into 4 general categories: Survival Rights, Developmental Rights, Participation Rights, and Protection Rights. In reviewing the UN Convention of the Rights of the Child nearly ALL if not ALL the Rights of the Child for Faye Lin Cannon and her siblings were broken. In this paper, I will seek to address some weaknesses that may exist on the island from an Educational stand point in respect to keeping children safe and in school.

Doctor Love: SHM and Curious
Dear Doctor Love, The recent murder of a girl in San Pedro has people emotionally on edge and very angry. I feel the outrage myself. I don’t understand how people on social media have quickly turned on each other and innocent bystanders are getting hurt. Racist remarks, name calling and accusations against the adoptive father are rampant on every Facebook post. Even the newspaper has been attacked for sharing police reports. Why do people say things to hurt others when they have no proof or knowledge? Nobody thinks of how the surviving children feel to read accusations that are untrue unless they are proved. Is there no sense of responsibility when posting publicly on a sensitive issue? /s/SMH

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Public and private sectors discuss ways to ensure sustainable development in Belize
Top executives from the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) visited Belize last week to discuss with key government officials and representatives of the private sector ways of deepening their partnership and cooperation to ensure the country’s sustainable development. IDB executive vice president Julie Katzman, accompanied by IDB country representative Cassandra Rogers and Annette Killmer, a key advisor in the bank’s climate change and sustainable development sector, met with Prime Minister Dean Barrow and members of the Cabinet during a three-day visit July 24-26.

Miss Belize for Miss Costa Maya 2017
Mr. Michael Arnold, National Director for Miss America Latina Belize, proudly announces Michelle Estrella Nuñez as Miss Belize Costa Maya 2017. Michelle is from San Pedro, Ambergris Caye and she aims to become the first Sampedrana to capture the Costa Maya crown. The 26 year-old, 5’6” (1.68m) beauty was a past Miss San Pedro (2014). She also represented Belize last year at Miss America Latina del Mundo in Mexico, where she not only captured the award for Best Original Costume but also gave Belize our highest and thus far only placement in this pageant. She placed 4th Runner-up (out of 19), besting delegates from Argentina, Australia, Canada, Mexico, Spain, among others.

Fake $100s used in San Pedro nightclub
Video shows suspects but police "unable to do anything." So Last Night We Had One Of The Bad Experience In Our Business "DaddyRock Nightclub" $500 Belizean FAKE MONEY!.. We Reported Already To San Pedro Police & They Said There Was Nothing to Do!.. Here We Have The Evidence Of The People Who Are Spreading This Fake Money Around!.. As Far As I'm Concerned We Are Not the Only Business & Nightclub Who Receive This Fake Money Last night Here in San Pedro!.. If Anybody Could Identified This Individuals Feel Free To Inbox Me!

10th Annual Lucky Dube Tribute
Red Stripe and Dara Cyber Home Theater present the 10th Annual Lucky Dube Tribute only at Birds Isle Restaurant and Bar on August 6th, 2017 from 4 P.M until!! Entrance is $10, all proceeds go to Dara's Feeding Program. Red Stripe. It's Whats Good.

Copper Thief Killed by Security Guard
At 3:35 a.m. on the 30th of July, 2017, Police Officers visited the Independence Poly Clinic where they saw the body of a man with multiple pellet wounds to the upper part of the back and behind the head. The body was pronounced dead on arrival. At 11:48 p.m. A security guard, Gerardo Coc was on duty at pond #14 of Aqua Mar shrimps Farm armed with a licensed 16-gauge shotgun when he saw two male persons dressed in dark color clothing advancing towards him with a machete. Coc raised his shotgun and the two male trespassers began running away. However Coc fired a single shot at both intruders injuring one of them who fell to the ground. He was transported to Independence PolyClinic where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Big mess left in Rainbow Park in Corozal
This is how Rainbow Park looks on a Sunday afternoon. We need to clarify that the Corozal Town Council had nothing to do with it. Last night's event was private but on public property. Please clean your trash after your hype and fun. There is nothing wrong in providing entertainment but can you have some civic pride towards your community? Clean your trash!

International Costa Maya Festival 2017 - San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize!
Having an absolutely amazing Sunday aboard the Island Dream Tours - YOLO boat with the beauties of Costa Maya! Sandbars never looked better!

Belize represented at Tihosuco Quintana Roo
For the first time the Yucatec Maya people of Belize were represented at Tihosuco Quintana Roo(Mex) in the commemoration of 170 years from the Maya up rising which started July 30,1847 which lasted until the 1930's. Nojoch Mak Hugo Carrillo Cocom presented a little documentary called The consequences from the Caste War in the border of Northern British Honduras today Belize in the Caste War museum at Tihosuco . Nojoch Mak Hugo Carrillo Cocom is a Belizean Yucatec Maya and member of the Northern Maya Association of Belize.

This Day in History
July 30, 1823, Royal approbation of the Settler's conduct to the Poyaisian Emigrants. P.S. This relatively insignificant post in the Honduras Almanack of 1829 hides a story of deceit, suffering and death. This post is in reference to an investment deal made by a Mr. Gregory Macgregor in the 1820's whereby he used his status to enticed some British People (Poyaisian Emigrants) to invest and move to a dream colony on the Mosquito Shore he called Poyais. 1822 MacGregor published a 350-page guidebook entitled Sketch of the Mosquito Shore, including the Territory of Poyais, descriptive of the country, supposedly written by one Captain Thomas Strangeways. It described the Poyais with glowing terms and mainly concentrated on how much profit one could get from the country's ample resources. Poyais was said to be a very anglophilic region with already existing infrastructure, untapped gold and silver mines and large amounts of fertile soil ready to be settled. The region was even free of tropical diseases. The book also claimed that British settlers had founded the capital of Poyais, St Joseph, in the 1730s.

Kids In Action
Thanks to all Tour Operators that assist us and contributed for this year program. Ambergris Divers, Tuff-E-Nuff, Belize Ocean Divers, Ecological Divers, Scuba Schools Belize, Aqua Scuba Belize, Belize Pro Divers, Belize Diving Adventures, Sea Star Belize, Blue Havens Divers, Amigos Del Mar, Chuck & Robbie, Reef Adventures, Island Divers, Seaduce By Belize and Ramon' Village Divers. Thanks to Blackadore Cayenne Group and Oceana

The Reporter

Man shot dead in Independence village
A man was shot dead in Independence village, Stann Creek on Saturday night. Police have identified him as Wilfred Malcolm, Jr. Malcolm was shot in the back and back of head sometime before midnight on Saturday at Aqua Mar shrimp farm, where he and another man reportedly went to steal copper wire an allegedly attacked a security guard.

Queen’s Baton coming to Belize
In preparation for the Commonwealth Games, the Queen’s Baton Relay is coming to Belize on Wednesday. The Queen’s Baton is passing through Belize from August 2- 6, having made its way through African and Caribbean countries. The Belize Olympic and Commonwealth Games Association (BOCGA), Area Representative Beverly Williams, Jorge Espat. CEO of the PGIA, and Dian White, chairperson of Ladyville, will be on hand at the Philip Goldson International Airport to welcome the team bringing the Baton. After a brief ceremony, the Cycling Federation of Belize will start the first leg of the relay, headed to Belize City. Cyclists will ride the Baton from the PGIA to the flag monument, where Belize City Mayor, Darrell Bradley, will start the running section of the relay onto Freetown Road.

FCD finds more gold panners in Chiquibul
Rangers from Friends for Conservation and Development (FCD), the organization which co-manages the Chiquibul National Park, found two illegal gold panners in the Ceibo Chico region of the park this weekend. FCD said they found the men, 40-year-old Thomas Gomez and 37-year-old Domingo Pana from Naranjon, Dolores Peten, sleeping in a makeshift camp at around 7:00 a.m., on Saturday. The men had six live Halcon brand 16 gauge cartridges; however, the Rangers did not locate the firearm. The men also had a black plastic bag with marijuana and an assortment of tools for gold panning.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Security Guard at Aqua Mar Shrimp Farm shoots man
Sometime last night there was a shooting reported on the Southern Highway. When police visited the Aqua Mar Shrimp Farm they were informed that the security guard there had shot an unidentified man.

Friends party hard in San Pedro using counterfeit cash
Last night a Belize City man and his friends went to the Big Daddy’s night club in San Pedro town where they had a blast.They group of friends bought dribks and partied the night away, however, they were doing so using counterfeit Belizean hundred dollar bills. At the end of the night the proprietors of the night club were left with five of the fake bills. Fortunately, the big spender and his friends were caught on camera.

Guatemalans busted gold panning in Chiquibul
According to reports from Friends For Conservation and Development (FCD), yesterday morning around 7 while conducting an early patrol in the Ceibo Chico region of the Chiquibul National Park, 5 FCD park rangers encountered two Guatemalan nationals sleeping under a camp located 6 km inside the Chiquibul National Park.

San Ignacio police rescue children in Cristo Rey Village
According to reports, yesterday three young men were trapped in strong current waters in Cristo Rey village. A video on social media shows PC Daniel Choc in the river with a rope, trying his best to bring the young men to safety.

Blogs

Why Summer Really is the Best Time to Escape to Belize
If the middle of winter is the best time to visit Belize, then you might think the middle of summer would be the worst time. Comparatively speaking, it may be, but that’s much like saying that milk chocolate is the worst chocolate. That is, it’s still darn good! So, dismiss the idea that the low season is a bad time to be in Belize. In fact, we think it might really be the best time to go. Read on, and see if you don’t agree. Although not quite equatorial, Belize does not experience dramatic seasonal temperature changes. The average daytime temperature in along the coast ranges from the 80s to, well, the 80s, thanks to the moderating effects of trade winds off the Caribbean. They help keep temperatures and humidity from getting out of hand. That’s not to say it doesn’t get hot. Temperatures will slip into the 90s on a regular basis during the summer months. In the jungle, you will feel the humidity, and find it hard to escape. When you venture into the rain forest and Mayan ruins, you will be a little warmer but, on average, still in the 80s. It will definitely feel hotter thanks to the humidity, though. And in the southern highlands, it will be distinctly cooler year-round.

International Sourcesizz

CTO receives financial boost from Caribbean Development Bank
The Caribbean Tourism Organization (CTO)’s continued efforts at promoting service and business excellence in the region’s tourism and hospitality sector has received a financial boost from the regional financial institution that focuses on harmonious economic growth and development in the Caribbean. The Caribbean Development Bank (CDB), through its Caribbean Technological Consultancy Services (CTCS) Network is providing US$223,312 in support of the two key components of the Hospitality Assured (HA) Caribbean certification programme managed by the CTO as part of its product development and service quality thrust.

Videos

• Kitesurf Belize, 4min.

• San Ignacio, Saturday market, Belize (HD), 4min. A visit to the saturday market in San ignacio, Belize

• Belize Study Abroad (UNG Summer 2017), 6min.

• Belize Summer 2017, 10min.

• ROAD TRIP: MANATEE VILLAGE(GALES POINT) 2 CAYO DISTRICT, BELIZE, 30min.

• Great Blue Hole! Belize!, 6min. Dive 135 feet into the Great Blue Hole in Belize. Swim with sharks and through stalactites. An awesome experience!

• Scuba diving in Belize at Shark Ray Alley, 1min. Amazing scuba diving trip in Belize. This was taken on Caye Caulker island at Esmeralda and Shark Ray alley. Thanks to Frenchies diving for an amazing experience!