Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#525257 08/18/17 04:33 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
After much anticipation and speculation, the route for the 2017 Carnival Road March has been confirmed.

It's been an unresolved issue for months now because authorities insisted that the safety hazards posed by the route were just too great: it blocked Belize's two major highways and the entrance to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital for hours.

The carnival committee has been weighing multiple options and routes, and has finally made a decision. The vice president of the Committee told us what the route will be:..

Patrick Thompson, VP. - Belize Carnival Association
"Well I guess this is what everybody is being waiting to hear. Yes, you all know that there is a route change and the change route is we start at the original spot which is Caesar Ridge, we go into the Boulevard, then we go contrary to traffic in Vernon Street, we take a left into Youth For the Future Drive, we go into Douglas Jones, Cinderella Plaza, we take a left into Kelly Street, right into Baymen Avenue and a left into Princess Margaret Drive and finishing inside the Marion Jones where there will be an after party until 10pm."

Reporter
"You feel this route is reaching everybody in Belize southside/northside?"

Patrick Thompson, VP. - Belize Carnival Association
"It is because when we go from Caesar Ridge and go all the way to Vernon Street then we only have a small number of people from Vernon Street to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital and these people can surely line Vernon Street, Youth For the Future Drive and the other streets that we have change to."

Carnival is set for September ninth - and to go over the route once more - it starts as usual on Caesar Ridge Road, and goes up Central American Boulevard, but instead of crossing Belcan, it makes a right turn into Vernon Street and goes up to the Bel China Bridge, where it crosses, and heads over to Cinderella Plaza, turns unto Baymen Avenue - where it goes the whole length of that road, and then turns left into Princess Margaret Drive for the final stretch to the Marion Jones Sporting Complex where it ends.

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Road march bigger and better than ever!

And what will Carnival itself look like? We took the opportunity to ask the Association's president, Patrick Thompson, about the run-up to the event and he says it will be bigger, brighter and more colorful than ever. We also spoke to the appointed grand marshal of this year's event, Stanley Lizama.

Patrick Thompson, Vice President, Carnival Association

"We started our Mas Camp last Friday where we went to Seine Bight for a junior group and our Mas Camp continues from the fourth to the seventh of September. we have our King and Queen on the second of September we have our jouvert on the morning of the ninth which is Carnival day. And as I said, carnival will finish inside the Marion Jones Sporting Complex. For 2017 Carnival we have 10 junior bands and 6 senior bands that will be coming down the road that will be coming to entertain each and everybody that will be lining the entire route.

Reporter

"How is this compared to statistics las year, we have more people taking part in the carnival?"

Patrick Thompson

"Yes, we have more participants because I can tell you we have 2 new junior bands, we have our returning junior bands and we have 6 senior bands. So it's like a minimum of 150 because the junior band minimum is 50, so with the three new bands that's 150 revelers, a bigger and a better Carnival 2017."

Stanley Lizama, Grand Marshal, Carnival Road March 2017

"Carnival is, go out there enjoy yourself, meet new friends and I am a person, I love my Belizeans, so it's one day I just meet up everybody and have fun."

Lizama was Belize's first ever Carnival King in 1995 as a member of the Cultural Heritage Senior Band.

Channel 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.