Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
azbob Offline OP
OP Offline
In my years of coming down I have never know of any problem with "sea roaches".
Family will be coming down in a few weeks and have been reading "Trip Report" with complaints of the little buggers around Secret (Not So) Beach? Has anyone experienced this problem or know of the problem on the back side? Your input is always valuable and appreciated.
Bob

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
I used to go for stone crabs in French Lagoon and would get covered with the pesky Devils

P
P
They were there when I was up there a couple weeks ago. Not a big deal tho as they don't bite and just crawl on you and just now and then if sitting in the same spot in the water. Nowhere near as annoying as the Doctor Flies that were nasty and brought two of my friend out in huge welts

The waters in the back have them pretty much everywhere from time to time - Secret Beach (back when it was secret) used to be really bad - back then I would only get in the water if I had a floating device so that my feet would not touch bottom to stir them up. I'm guessing that frequent use/stirring up the sandy bottom has disrupted their habitat and made the area swimmable.

They do seem seasonal but not sure what the season is.

Glad they didn't ruin Phil's day and hopefully the numbers of these creatures remain low enough that everybody can enjoy this lovely spot. From my experience I can tell you that they DO bite, and in fact hang on and you have to pull them off. They love going inside your swim suit. I've wondered what Leonardo was thinking, buying Blackadore --- there is a reason old-timers call the area "sealice bay".

Yes, Diane is correct as usual. They do bite. Now as to why they love getting inside her swimming suit, I have no comment.

P
P
I'm a noob compared to these two, so I'll humbly retract - they bite. I have been here long enough to build an immunity to a lot of the bitey things.

azbob Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks bywarren, diane and phil. Any more info available?

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 277 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.