FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Belize’s neighbouring countries affected by natural disasters
Over the past few weeks the 2017 hurricane season has been devastating for the Caribbean region. On September 9th, Hurricane Irma departed for Florida USA after leaving a path of destruction for residents living on the islands of St. Thomas, Anguilla and Barbuda. A few days later, Hurricane Maria emerged taking over Irma’s path, flattening several of the tiny islands that had recently been battered. Meanwhile, Mexico has suffered two devastating earthquakes in as many weeks, leaving hundreds dead and many homes and buildings destroyed. The Government of Belize (GOB) answered the call for help, and on Tuesday, September 19th via a press release, offered to join the relief efforts for Dominica. “The Government of Belize stands ready to join with other CARICOM nations to coordinate and support relief efforts in any way possible within our human and financial resources,” said the GOB. It also encouraged all Belizeans who are able to offer some form of assistance to the Government and people of Dominica to do so by supporting local relief initiatives.

Doehms’ court case once again adjourned
The ‘Cruelty to a Child’ case against American couple David and Anke Doehm continued on Wednesday, September 20th when they returned to the Magistrate Court in Belize City. The prosecution was expected to provide the rest of the evidence, which seeks to prove that the duo is criminally liable for the death of Anke’s adoptive daughter Faye Lin Cannon. That evidence, which includes results from forensic tests, was not ready to be disclosed, and as such, the case was adjourned until October 17th. After being in police custody for a few weeks, they were each granted bail of $10,000BZ, which they met, and were then set free. Under the terms of the bail, the couple is to report to the Queen Street Police Station every Monday, in Belize City, while the murder investigation continues. A preliminary inquiry is set for October 5th in San Pedro Town. However, since the forensic evidence is not available as yet, it is not certain if that date will change.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Bike Repair Workshop on Caye Caulker
14 Ocean Academy students gained skills today in bike maintenance and repairs. Instructors Carlos Leal, Jarod and Ian were impressed with the students' attitude, teamwork and results. At the start of the workshop only 2/14 students had experience and confidence repairing a bike all by themselves. Afterwards, all 14 reported an increase in their repair skills and confidence.

Miss Independence Corozal
On September 21st 2017, I handed over the Miss Independence Corozal title and crown to the beautiful Miss Sharissa Dominguez I am sure that she will wear that crown and sash with Respect, Patriotism And Dignity. My year of reign was beyond amazing and I must say it was an honor being your Miss Independence my beautiful Corozaleños. Although I may be living away from home due to studying at Galen University I will always be here with full support to my home town. I Hope you all had the most amazing September Celebrations and may God bless you all, with love yours truely Miss Independence 2016 - 2017

Congratulations to our Telenovela actors who were cast in a Coppola film, TORCH! TORCH
The movie was shot in Southern Belize and will premiere October 8th, 2017 in California at the Mill Valley Film Festival! You can get your tickets at https://tickets.cafilm.org/websales/pages/info.aspx…&

Belize History Association Members and Friends: Call for Papers - Conference 2018
The National Institute of Culture and History, The University of Belize, Galen University, and the University of the West Indies officially announces the hosting of the First National Research Conference to be held on March 21 and 22, 2018 at the University of Belize, Belmopan Central Campus, Jaguar Auditorium. The Conference theme is: Research and Development in Belize. Belizean and international researchers, professors and graduate students are invited to submit abstracts of scholarly papers related to the theme. Undergraduate students are also invited to submit proposals for posters related to the theme. The deadline to submit abstract of papers and proposals for posters is Friday, October 20, 2017. The Call for Papers can be downloaded at this link: https://goo.gl/BboZk2

The Reporter

Belize Coalition to Save Our Natural Heritage rejects minister’s comments
The Belize Coalition to Save Our Natural Heritage has rejected comments which Minister of Foreign Affairs, Wilfred Elrington made this past week to university students. Elrington was addressing University of Belize students on the issue of security threats to Belize. Elrington, a proponent of offshore oil-drilling, suggested that some Belizeans prefer to save the marine life, rather than humans. “Two weeks ago, one Guyanese minister was here in the country; he said ‘Mr Elrington, we just found an additional two billion proven barrels of oil offshore in Guyana. That means that we now have four billion (barrels). We can’t pay for hospitals; we can’t pay for education; we can’t pay for schools, but we’re not supposed to touch the petroleum. We can’t even find out what is there because the attitude is don’t touch it.

Belize’s economy looks promising, Prime Minister indicates
In his Independence Day address, Prime Minister Dean Barrow said the implementation of the United Nations Convention Against Corruption (UNCAC) is moving along, with multiple stakeholders participating in the process. This should discourage politicians from engaging in corruption or from avoiding transparency and accountability. “The Integrity Commission has been reconstituted, is working, and has already published for public knowledge and further action the names of those politicians who failed to comply with their obligations under the law. How so-called responsible people can claim to be unaware of these activities and strides, defeats me. “Government, I should say in this context, is still agreeable to the expansion of the PAC (Public Accounts Committee), though the logistics of its conversion from a House to a bi-cameral entity are proving challenging.”

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Sedi calls out United Nations on injustice
Foreign Minister Wilfred Elrington, known for making controversial remarks at home, has called out the United Nations for selectively applying its own principles on injustice. Elrington, speaking at the General Debate of the 72 Session of the United Nations General Assembly, spoke up in defense of Belize’s longtime ally, the Republic of China, Taiwan pointing out that the country undergoes pressure without UN support.

Accused murderer makes Belizean history
Thirty-year-old Nelson Henry, who stands accused of the murder of Edward Lord Jr, made Belizean history this week by becoming one of only four people to ever get bail while on trial for murder. Justice Adolf Lucas granted Henry bail this week following a submission by Henry’s attorney, Oscar Selgado, claiming that his constitutional rights had been violated.

Belize and the EU hold third “Article 8” political dialogue session
As part of Belize’s Diplomatic Week and Independence Celebrations, the third political dialogue session between the European Union (EU) and Belize took place in Belmopan on Tuesday, September 19th, 2017. The cordial and constructive dialogue offered a platform for consultations over a broad range of bilateral, regional and multilateral issues, as well as an opportunity to take stock of progress made concerning ‘essential elements’ of the Cotonou Agreement, including respect for human rights, democratic principles and good governance.

BPP condemns GOB and Opposition for Independence Day speeches
The Belize Progressive Party (BPP) has condemned the Independence Day speeches of both Prime Minister Dean Barrow and Opposition Leader John Briceño for the way they addressed Guatemala’s continued aggression in the Sarstoon. Both presentations came days after the Belize Territorial Volunteers got harassed by Guatemalan military personnel; however, neither the PM nor the Leader of the Opposition made any statements regarding the matter.

Mexico hit by new 6.1 magnitude earthquake
About an hour ago, a new earthquake with a magnitude of 6.1 hit Mexico. This comes just days after another horrific tremor left 295 people dead. According to the US Geological Survey, the quake was centered about 11 miles south-southeast of Matias Romero in the State of Oaxaca.

Blogs

5 Perfect Days in Ambergris Caye
For this year’s annual birthday trip we decided to take a more relaxing route and chose to spend five perfect days in Belize. We absolutely fell in love with Ambergris Caye and have already been recommending it to everyone. On the first day, we arrive in Belize City on a flight from Atlanta. It sounds like most flights from the United States come from there or Houston. Their international airport is tiny, but has food options, a bar, rum tastings, and plenty of knick knack souvenirs to buy. We were through customs and waiting for our puddle jumper flight to Ambergris Caye in no time. There are two airlines that fly to the cayes – Tropic Air and Maya Island. We found cheaper rates on Maya (around $60 one way) and took the easy 15-minute flight over. You also have the option of taking a taxi ($25 – 30-minute ride) to the ferry (about $15 one way – 90-minute ride) but since we had limited time we opted for the slightly more expensive flight – plus the views from the plane are amazing.

International Sourcesizz

After the hurricanes: What to know before retiring abroad
Yet despite weather risk and vulnerable infrastructure, overseas retirement is growing in popularity — about 400,000 American retirees live abroad, according to the Social Security Administration, and that number has climbed 17% between 2010 and 2015. Some choose islands and Mexico, while others go to Germany, Japan and Canada. More baby boomers are expected to leave the workplace, and then the country, in the next 10 years. “People have a romantic notion of what it’s going to be like to live somewhere,” said Ken Moraif, a financial adviser at Money Matters, a financial advice seminar and podcast in Plano, Texas. Moraif suggests people planning to move abroad for retirement test it out first. He had one couple as clients who wanted to sell their home and move to Belize, where they could relax and deep-sea fish, but Moraif suggested they rent a place for six months to try it out.

Belizean Anthropologist Speaks
Joe Awe is a Belizean activist, entrepreneur, anthropologist, mayanist, tourism lecturer at a local junior college, and also one of Belize’s top tour guides. I met with him over coffee last week to talk about the future of Belize and I insisted that he needed to share his knowledge and ideas on Belize to the world. The conversation led to the birth of this interview where he shares some interesting facts and ideas on Belize’s history, culture, ecotourism, economy and sustainable development. Please tell me about yourself and where you were born? How has Belize changed since your youth? I was born in San Ignacio, the first of three children. Belize inevitably has changed very much since I was a child. There are more opportunities; more educational options; more infrastructural development; a robust tourism industry; the development of oil extraction, and there is also a tremendous effort in guiding the country to be more compatible with the fast-changing times to keep us competitive and relevant in the region.

Videos

• Belize Independence day celebration, Inglewood ca. 2017, 4.5min. Dell Smart performing onstage

• Ambergris Caye, San Pedro, Belize 2017, 2min.

• Belize- A Paradise for all, 1min. Drone footage taken on our last trip to Belize. Thatch Caye Resort.

• Scuba Belize La Strega, 17min. We worked as manager/dive instructors on a live-aboard (M/V La Strega) in Belize in the Western Caribbean. Diving was quite good .

• Scuba Belize La Strega part 1, 15min. my sister and i scuba diving in belize 2011!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

• Ziplining Belize 2017, 4min.

• Belize Vacation 2017, 10min. This video is a compilation of videos and images from my vacation to Belize in May 2017. We planned this vacation for months, foregoing the simplicity of a one-stop resort for the sake of getting to see as much of this beautiful country as possible. We traveled by plane, water taxi, golf cart, bicycle, public bus, and prop plane during our adventures. For activities, we snorkeled (twice), paddle boarded, and made our own chocolate from scratch. Some of my favorite things were seeing crystal clear blue ocean water, snorkeling, the sounds of the jungle, and tropical smoothies by the pool. Victoria House (1st stop), BlueBelize (2nd stop), Belcampo (3rd stop), Swan Villas (4th stop)

• Belize Independence day, 3min.

• Belize 2017, 4.5min.

• The World of Belize, 7.5min. 12 Guys, 3 Chaperones, and a whole lotta fun along with a transcending experience of friendship and service.