#526057 09/28/17 10:13 AM
OP Offline
Just now I got a travel alert from Trip Advisor letting me know that:
1. Key West and Naples Florida are trending
2. They have some good hotel deals in each place
Are they insane ......?

K
K
yes they are insane. they are not a reputable site, way too many fake reviews.

Insane is putting it politely..... However, for a small fee you to can increase your ratings with them..... for us they offered a $69.95 introductory rate..... We refused and went from #2 to #16 overnight......They claim that they changed their algorithm..... I contacted them to let them know that we are listed below two restaurants that have been out of business for years, they wrote back with a canned statement about not being responsible for what reviewers post.... ( huh?) ...... We have written them off..... And our guests say the same thing.....' When the #1 rated hotel does not have hot water or linens something is wrong with their system' ......

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
While I think that one has to use their common sense when using Trip Advisor reviews, they can be very helpful. If there are multiple reviews complaining about the same thing, it's pretty safe to assume that is an issue. I'm well aware that there are businesses that not only have multiple fake accounts to provide their own reviews, but also 'encourage' customers to write glowing ones. Judyann is also correct that those who pay are given many concessions. I am curious though, Judyann, - not wanting to cause any trouble - but The Phoenix has been number one for some time in hotels. When did they stop offering linens or hot water? Enquiring minds want to know.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

R
R
Trip Advisor is a mixed bag. Those who knew me when I was on the Island know I was in a position to know.

Businesses: It is a love/hate relationship. They know that many tourist go there for advice and also to book rooms etc and the resorts and business need that business. This does come with a cost which can be somewhat steep, especially when compared to tourist who book direct. In addition the "extras" make a lot of money which I don't believe they see if these are booked by TA. Airline flights are one but also excursions. Their commissions are high and you must pay more for a better position as stated. A few bad reports on TA can be really bad news, so businesses pay attention. Some of these bad reviews are unjustified but the business does have an opportunity to reply. God knows we had several over the years which where totally unjustified. Some tourist know this and use this to try to get reduced rates or everything for free with the implied threat of a bad review for something minor or completely beyond the control of the resort.

Costumers: get a chance for a review of a business/resort that they may not know much about. I think the majority of the reviews are honest and where else would the traveler get this advice and in a timely fashion. The businesses, and I know this as a fact, change policies, employees and in general business practices as a result of these reviews and that is a plus for the traveler and the business, I would think.

This is not much different than shopping on line and reading the reviews. Most realize that some of the reviews are "off the wall" but overall they bring up points which help with the decision to buy or not buy. As stated above, a repeating theme should be paid attention to.

Trip Advisors and Internet shopping is here to stay so everyone must adapt to succeed. A small business can ignore I suppose but not a large business. Is it totally fair.?.....NO, but customers and businesses when they adapt, use this to their advantage over others. It has made businesses in San Pedro prosper and fail. Overall I would say justly.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 129 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,198
Posts500,015
Members20,458
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.