Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#526155 - 10/04/17 05:58 AM Broad Daylight Murder of Teen In San Pedro  
Marty Offline
Marty  Offline

A 17-year-old minor has been detained for the shooting death of 18 year old Christian Contreras and injury of 27 year old Ryan Lucas. The incident took place around 11: 30 am, on Tuesday, October 3rd, in the Boca Del Rio Area of San Pedro Town.

When the police arrived at the scene around 11: 36am, Contreras’s motionless body was found lying on the ground. Lucas, who was injured, was been taken to the Dr. Otto Rodriguez San Pedro Polyclinic II. Witnesses of the shooting say that Contreras and Lucas were walking on the side street, when the 17-year-old shooter approached them. “So are you guys the Doritos gangs,” they claimed he said, after he took out his gun and fired several shots at the two men, then fled on his bicycle. Contreras received three shots, two in the right upper chest and one on the right hand. Lucas, who is a maintenance worker from DFC area, has been transported to Belize City for further treatment of the gun shots injuries to the abdomen and hands.

Click here to read the rest of the article in the San Pedro Sun

San Pedro Town is reeling tonight from another murder - and this one happened in broad daylight in plain view of the public.

At 11:30 AM, 18 year old Christian Contreras and 28 year old Ryan Lucas were walking on a side street heading unto Laguna Drive in the Boca Del Rio area. This is not known as one of the crime ridden areas of San Pedro, and that's why it was so shocking when a men rode up on bicycle and opened fire - clearly seen by passersby. According to the San Pedro Sun, witnesses heard the shooter say, quote, "So are you guys the Doritos gangs?" They say that's when he took out his gun and fired several shots at the pair and then sped off on his bicycle.

The shots killed Contreras on the spot and he lay slumped on the road beside a fence, near some street works. He was riddled with bullet holes: 2 shots to the chest, one to the back, and one to the arm. His associate, Ryan Lucas was shot to the upper right arm and abdomen.

Lucas was rushed to the san Pedro Polyclinic where he was treated and then airlifted to the KHMH in Belize City - while Contreras's body was brought to the morgue in Belize City.

Island police have two suspects in custody - one of them is only 17. But investigators are still stumped as to why this happened. It does not fit the regular pattern of drug related murders which had spiked on the island recently, and none of the victims or suspects are known to be involved in the established drug gangs.

Channel 7

Teenager Gunned Down in San Pedro; Another Wounded, 2 Suspects Detained

There was a brazen murder just before midday on San Pedro. Teenager Christian Contreras was gunned down as he was hanging out with a friend outside of a bar in the Boca Del Rio area of the island. Another man, twenty-eight-year-old Ryan Lucas was wounded and airlifted to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital.  With quick action by police, two persons were detained within a few hours, but investigators cannot say what caused this latest gun violence. News Five’s Andrea Polanco was in San Pedro Town today and has the details of this latest killing.

Andrea Polanco, Reporting

Several shots rang out in the Boca Del Rio Area in San Pedro Town around eleven thirty this morning – and within moments this street in front of Compadre’s Bar became a murder scene.  One man, eighteen-year-old Christian Contreras, was dead and his friend twenty-eight-year-old Ryan Lucas was injured. The two men were sitting on these steps at Compadre’s Bar located on the corner of Laguna Drive and Conch Shell Street – when they were approached by two men; one of the men fired several shots – as many as eight hitting Contreras and Lucas. The two men ran away leaving a bicycle behind. Despite there being wide-spread speculation that this latest killing is drug related, Police say it is too early to tell what triggered this murder but both men are known to the authorities on the island.

Supt. Henry Jemmott, O.C., Coastal Executive Unit

“I would not like to speculate at this time because the investigation is very early we don’t have a motive to go at so at this time I cannot speculate on that.”

Andrea Polanco

“Is there anything to suggest that this latest killing has anything to do with the ongoing drug problem that has been [happening] on the island?”

Supt. Henry Jemmott

“I wouldn’t say that. I wouldn’t say that. I know that both persons are knowing to the police but I wouldn’t want to speculate as early as this time into this murder here.”

Andrea Polanco

“Did any one of these men had any problem with anyone recently that was brought to the attention of the police?”

Supt. Henry Jemmott

“Not that we know of. Not that we know of. We don’t have any information to suggest that.”

Andrea Polanco

“So, no motive at all – nothing that would point to why this happened?”

Supt. Henry Jemmott

“No. Not at this time because these persons are not the regular ones that would hang with the names that were called in the past. So, we are looking at different angles before coming to a conclusion.”

Contreras was hit four times to the upper body; twice to the chest, once to the lower left back and once to the right arm – he tried to run for cover, but fell a short distance away where he died lying face down in a pool of blood. Lucas was shot to the right arm and abdomen and remains hospitalized. Contreras’ family says that they are at a loss for words because the teenager had just left home earlier in morning and he seemed happy and at ease. They say they have absolutely no idea why he was killed or by whom. But San Pedro police hopes to find out who the killer or killers are. Two persons are already in custody and are being questioned, one of them is a minor.

Supt. Henry Jemmott

“We don’t want to pre-empt anything. We want to do our investigation thoroughly before coming to a conclusion.”

Andrea Polanco

“You have any suspects in connection with this murder?”

Supt. Henry Jemmott

“I could tell you that we have two suspects in custody and we will pursue every angle to see if we can lay charges if possible.”

One man is dead and another is injured – this scene has become all too familiar to residents on the island and also a concern. Nelson Gomez, Owner of Compadre’s Bar, a popular hotspot in the Boca Del Rio Area, says his business was closed at the time of the incident. As he was heading to his establishment to prepare to open for one this afternoon, he was greeted with a murder scene – a building shattered by bullets.

Nelson Gomez, Owner, Compadre’s Bar

“I am glad the business was closed. It is a concern, you know, because people here in San Pedro don’t feel free and this happened early in this morning. So, we have to worry; all the people from San Pedro we have to worry because this is outrageous. I just want to say that I don’t want people to see my business as bad place because it didn’t happen inside; this happened on the street.”

Andrea Polanco

“When you got here, what did you see?”

Nelson Gomez

“When I got here, you know, I see that they had blood spilled all over the place here, so I had to clean it now.”

Andrea Polanco

“And of course if you had your business open at the time, you don’t know how this would have played out?”

Nelson Gomez

“Oh yeah. Oh yeah. Because you know it is like some other innocent people could have gotten shot you know and that is a concern for us. “

Andrea Polanco

“Do you think these kinds of things are impacting business; impacting your bottom dollar in terms of the money you are making. Is it where business owners are seeing people scared of going out and socialized or are they not coming out?”

Nelson Gomez

“Oh yeah. Oh yeah. It is like everybody in San Pedro is scared now and things are very slow and people don’t want to go out and it is very sad for us as a business owner everything is slow and people don’t want to come out. We need more security.”

The bike used by the killers, eight nine-millimeter expended shells and two slugs were all recovered from the scene. Reporting for News Five, I’m Andrea Polanco.

Police Intervene to Stop Drug-Related Killings on Island

While police will not say why eighteen-year-old Christian Contreras was killed, it is widely believed that is linked to the drug problem on the island. Several of the killings in the past year have been connected to drug rival groups and the Police Department has since implemented several initiatives to combat the growing problem. Today, Officer in Charge in San Pedro Superintendent Henry Jemmott told us that they have been doing a lot on the ground. He says they have received the assistance of twenty-two additional police officers to carried out interventions.

Supt. Henry Jemmott, O.C., Coastal Executive Unit

“I must say yes, we are doing a whole lot. By the way we have two different operations going on in San Pedro. I can tell you that from visiting the scene, the workers stated that ‘mien, the police were just here – they were just around the area.’ So that tells you that we are covering the area but the criminals will use the window of opportunity to commit what they want to commit. Through Mister Broaster, we have a parallel operation besides my quick response team that is covering all the areas. We have gotten an extra twenty two police officers from Belize City and eastern Division to assist us with the issue. We are also doing a lot of interventions – just yesterday we are doing intervention with some of the guys from rival groups and stuff. So, we are not dealing with it only from a crime or operational standpoint; we are dealing with it also as a social issue. I have the mayor and the minister connected and we sit with these young men and have them see the detriment their actions are causing to San Pedro. This is the jewel and they have to understand what the issues are – but beside that we are doing other things too. For like those ones who have cases before the court, we are trying to speed up the trial so a conclusion can be held and if they are liable then they go to jail because sometimes that is the only thing that quells the issues.”

Channel 5

Midday Shooting Incident In San Pedro Leaves 18-Year-Old Dead
Gunshots rung out in the middle of the day in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize, leading to the discovery of 18-year-old Christian Contreras lying face down on the street in front of Los Compadres Bar of Boca del Rio Area. Police have detained two persons as investigations continue, one of them being a minor. The shooting incident occurred around 11:30a.m. today, Tuesday, October 3, 2017. It left Christian Contreras dead and 27-year-old Ryan Lucas with injuries to his abdomen and uper right arm. He has been transported to Belize City for further treatment that he initially received at the Dr. Otto Rodriguez San Pedro Polyclinic II.

#526171 - 10/04/17 04:01 PM Re: Broad Daylight Murder of Teen In San Pedro [Re: Marty]  
Keith S Offline
Keith S  Offline
Wow, coming to San Pedro in 2 weeks, and these brazen murders have me a little scared...I'm assuming there are areas of SP that are not meant for tourists...hopefully my host will be able to give me some advice...

#526172 - 10/04/17 04:03 PM Re: Broad Daylight Murder of Teen In San Pedro [Re: Keith S]  
Diane Campbell Offline
Diane Campbell  Offline
A hit. In front of a "big boys sport bar" (brothel). Not happy that we have either thing here but your vacation should be unaffected.

#526176 - 10/05/17 05:02 AM Re: Broad Daylight Murder of Teen In San Pedro [Re: Marty]  
Marty Offline
Marty  Offline

17 Year Old Charged for Killing 18 Year Old On San Pedro

Two persons were charged for murder today. The first is a 17 year old - who has been charged for the murder of 18 year old Christian Contreras. As we reported, Contreras and 28 year old Ryan Lucas were shot in front of Compadres bar in San Pedro town in broad daylight at 11:30 yesterday morning. Contreras died on the spot while Lucas received various injuries.

It happened in plain view and Island police have moved swiftly to make an arrest. Today an ID parade was conducted and a 17 year old was today charged for murder, use of deadly means of harm and attempted murder on Ryan Lucas.

Police still don't know the motive but are confident based on eyewitness accounts that they have the shooter. The suspect is not an island resident but went to the island form southern Belize and has been living there for a year.

The last person charged for murder on the island was a 16 year old.

Channel 7

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
Paradise Guy Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Mini Chat
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 56 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics66,711
Posts469,026
Members19,104
Most Online1,262
Jun 10th, 2007

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.