travel advice #526360
10/13/17 03:50 PM
10/13/17 03:50 PM
Canada
B
BrandonDietz Offline OP
BrandonDietz  Offline OP
B
Hello everyone. Me and my family are thinking about heading to San Pedro for 2 weeks in mid Jan. I am looking for some info on the cheapest / best ways to get from the mainland to the island. Also interested in places to stay in or close to San Pedro for 4 adults and a baby. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have done a fair bit of research about the area but still better to get some info from the locals as they know best.

Thanks

Brandon

Re: travel advice [Re: BrandonDietz] #526361
10/13/17 04:11 PM
10/13/17 04:11 PM
san pedro, Belize
collyk Offline
collyk  Offline
Hi Brandon, There are two ways to get to San Pedro - by boat or by plane. There are more than one options for either way. You can either use Tropic Air or Maya Island Air to fly directly from International Airport to San Pedro, which is the quickest and, in my own view, the most pleasant way to travel. It's certainly not the most inexpensive. I prefer Tropic Air to Maya Island Air based on my experiences with both. The next price down would be catching a taxi from International Airport to Municipal Airport and flying from there. That would save you considerably with a group of 4 adults and one baby. Some discounts on flying can be found through Tacogirl.com

By boat there are three options. There is a private ferry directly from the International Airport but someone else will have to give you up to date information on that service as it has changed a lot in the last year and I have no idea if it's even operating at all. If it is, I have no info. The least expensive option are the two public ferry services, which are Ocean Ferry and Belize San Pedro Express. My personal preference is Belize San Pedro Express as I particularly find their dock pleasant and safe. You would have to catch a taxi from International Airport to one or the other ferry services which are both in the same part of town.

Keep in mind that the time of your flight arrival into Belize may determine which mode of transport you will have to take as the last ferries are at 5.30pm, while Tropic Air will run flights to ensure you get to San Pedro from International, whenever you arrive as long as you have booked in advance.

You'd need to be more specific about your budget and desired amenities before anyone could pipe in on accommodation as there is tons of it.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

Re: travel advice [Re: BrandonDietz] #526362
10/13/17 04:17 PM
10/13/17 04:17 PM
San Pedro Town - Ambergris Cay...
ScubaLdy Offline
ScubaLdy  Offline

You have basically 3 options:
1. Fly from International airport to San Pedro
2. Taxi to muni airport and fly to SP
3. Taxi to Water taxi terminal and boat to the island.

#2 costs about half of #1
#3 costs about half of #2

#1 or # 2 take about 15 to 20 minutes

# 3 takes between 1 and 1 1/2 hours.

All have their advantages and disadvantages and other will tell you their preferences.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Re: travel advice [Re: BrandonDietz] #526363
10/13/17 05:25 PM
10/13/17 05:25 PM
K
katzgar Offline
katzgar  Offline
K
cheapest and best way rarely have any relationship in reality. Cheapest will be water taxi but is slower and can be uncomfortable depending on wind. Best way is air but that is pricier. You will want to book at the Victoria House... https://www.victoria-house.com/rates-packages/

Re: travel advice [Re: BrandonDietz] #526374
10/14/17 06:41 AM
10/14/17 06:41 AM
S
SimonB Offline

SimonB  Offline
S
Victoria House is great but why you would book there if you were on a budget I don't know. Here's the best article written on the water taxi so far - http://www.sanpedroscoop.com/2017/06/water-taxi-boat-international-airport-ambergris-caye.html

Re: travel advice [Re: SimonB] #526375
10/14/17 07:33 AM
10/14/17 07:33 AM
K
katzgar Offline
katzgar  Offline
K
Originally Posted by SimonB
Victoria House is great but why you would book there if you were on a budget I don't know. Here's the best article written on the water taxi so far - http://www.sanpedroscoop.com/2017/06/water-taxi-boat-international-airport-ambergris-caye.html

OP doesnt say he is on a budget so when an OPer doesnt provide info I just take a shot. I figure the OPer can decide when they look at the rates. This aint rocket science.

Last edited by katzgar; 10/14/17 07:34 AM.
Re: travel advice [Re: katzgar] #526391
10/15/17 12:33 PM
10/15/17 12:33 PM
Houston, Texas
DonnaR Offline
DonnaR  Offline
I was there last month and found booking.com had great prices on hotels

Re: travel advice [Re: DonnaR] #526392
10/15/17 05:15 PM
10/15/17 05:15 PM
P
PSSunshinegal Offline
PSSunshinegal  Offline
P
Originally Posted by DonnaR
I was there last month and found booking.com had great prices on hotels

And you can all help us properties that rent by finding the price on booking.com and then book directly with us. The OTAs are killing vacation rental industry with their fees. If you see us there, you can always find us direct especially in a small area like San Pedro. You may even save a little money by booking direct.

Re: travel advice [Re: BrandonDietz] #526395
10/16/17 05:49 AM
10/16/17 05:49 AM
S
SimonB Offline

SimonB  Offline
S
Amen to that.

Re: travel advice [Re: BrandonDietz] #526402
10/16/17 09:53 AM
10/16/17 09:53 AM
Canada
B
BrandonDietz Offline OP
BrandonDietz  Offline OP
B
thanks for all the reply's and information. A bit more info to help get the correct answers. we are not looking at spending a pile of money for a place to stay but we want to be somewhere that is closer to town and close to the water. not to sure budget wise say lower than 100 usd a night.( is it worth considering airbnb to stay at here) Are there places that would have 2 bedrooms as opposed to rooms that have 2 beds? we are going to be there for approx 2 weeks, would you suggest maybe staying at different areas to better get a feel for the islands? for us this is a bit of a scope out the area kind of trip in thoughts of possibly investing in the area, maybe buying a vacation property or maybe even someday moving here.

what is the approx cost to fly from Belize city to San Pedro? direct from the international airport, or from a private air port?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
Paradise Guy Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
July
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Mini Chat
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (mengcc), 280 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics67,181
Posts470,246
Members19,188
Most Online1,262
Jun 10th, 2007

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.