Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#526491 - 10/20/17 05:01 AM Sir Barry Bowen's Bust unveiled at Municipal Airport  
Marty Offline
Marty  Offline

As we showed you 11 months ago, renovation on the Municipal Airport were completed in November of last year. It was also renamed the Sir Barry Bowen Municipal Airport. Sir Barry was a pioneering captain of industry who was known for his love of flying. Well today to top off the renovations, a statue of Sir Barry was unveiled at the airport. Here are a few excerpts from today's ceremony.

Dixie Bowen - Wife of Sir Barry Bowen
"It is my privilege to have been requested by the Belize Airport Authority to be asked to commission a statue of Sir Barry for the Sir Barry Bowen Airport, renamed in his honor last November. The truth be known, Sir Barry was always taken by statues. When traveling he would always take time to stop and really study this form of art and I know today he would be so very proud of this lasting remembrance of himself at the airport he so painstakingly designed and was determined to make it a reality. Quoted from moon handbooks, the one about Belize, quote, 'Barry Bowen was a prominent businessman in Belize whose products touched nearly every Belizean and every visitor in Belize. He also was a central figure in the political and economic history of modern Belize and a key link to the British Honduras past…Admired or distrusted, envied or loved, Sir Barry was one of a kind. He made his mark on nearly every major event in his lifetime. Bold and full of life, ambitious and willing to take a risk, a man of vision and large plans, he was a multimillionaire who achieved things. There will be no one like him again in Belize.' Many did not understand him; he was a complex man and his views often controversial. He had an impending need to do for his country. He was a son of the soil and in one word extraordinary."

John Greif - President, Tropic Air
"The Barry Bowen part of it goes way back for 20, 25 years. Barry would bring plans; every time something would change. Barry would change the plans, 'Johnny we've got to get this done.' I gave up a decade after Barry started working on it. It's appropriate that we are all here this morning like a family to officially name the airport and reveal Barry's statue. The statue itself is appropriate because it is larger than life as was Barry. Barry didn't just live life. He took a huge bite out of it and shook it hard. It's appropriate that we are naming the airport because Barry loved aviation and was a gifted pilot. My dad thought him to fly and soloed him after only in 14 hours of flight instructions instead of the usual 40 and I think he let it go a little bit longer just because he didn't want it to seem like he was letting Barry go too quick because Barry was his friend. The fact that the statue is interactive here in front of us is important because Barry was all about staying in touch, staying in touch with people, all people. I have personally seen Barry telling the Prime Minister that: I'm sorry sir, I'll have to call you back later because he was busy working out some family problems of one of his yard keepers. Barry cared about people. I thank the Bowen family because as Barry loved aviation and as he loved people and as he loved his family, so did I love him. Thank you."

Channel 7

Sir Barry Bowen Memorialized at Municipal Airstrip

The Barry Bowen statute was unveiled today at the municipal airstrip in Belize City which also carries his name.  Among the invitees were his wife Dixie and family, ministers of government as well as friends and employees of the businessman that was killed in February 2010. Bowen would use that airstrip to fly his plane to San Pedro and back to the City almost on a daily basis which was why today’s ceremony brought nostalgia. His businesses in Belize extended to many sectors and he touched the lives of many which was why he was knighted. News Five’s Duane Moody reports.

Duane Moody, Reporting

A statue of the late Sir Barry Bowen walking down steps was unveiled today in honor of well-known businessman. It was erected here at the site of the recently completed first class municipal airstrip in Belize City, renamed the Sir Barry Bowen Municipal Airstrip back in November. Before family and friends as well as government ministers a ceremony was held in his honor.

John Greif III, President, Tropic Air Airlines

“This airport that we are sitting next to exists for two reasons and two reasons only. The Barry Bowen part of it goes way back from twenty-twenty-five years Barry would bring plans. Every time something would change, Barry would change the plan; John we’ve got to get this done. I gave up on it a decade after Barry started working on it. But Junior did not and because of Barry and because of Junior—if there were another statue up and maybe when you die in forty to fifty years, we will have Junior’s statue up here. And I would like to recognize him publicly for his contribution to this airport. (Clapping)”

Also present at today’s event was Lady Dixie Bowen, who spoke of sculptor from Cuba who was sanctioned to take on the task of creating a life-size bronze replica of Sir Barry.

Lady Dixie Bowen, Widow

“In June 2016, my friends and I traveled to Havana and we set out the next morning to visit the various artists. Upon arriving at our first stop the gentleman had just left for lunch so we missed him. We stopped for a bite to eat and then began asking questions about a man we couldn’t locate. Out of the clear blue sky came a comment that several blocks away, there was a large stone of some sort in front of a home where possibly an artist live. And our taxi driver Chino began knocking on the door, but to no avail. Just as we were about to go back, a lovely man came to the door.  Graciously, he showed us to his studio and stepped out for a moment and returned with a catalog of his work. Hilly, totally God smacked, was almost speechless; that’s kind of unusual. This was the very person he was looking for and immediately we all knew that this was the correct sculptor for the job; Jose Ramon Villa Sorero.”

It is no secret that Sir Barry Bowen has done a lot for the country, including the aviation industry. Minister of Tourism and Civil Aviation Manuel Heredia Junior says that the multimillion-dollar renovation of the municipal airstrip was envisioned by the late Sir Bowen.

Manuel Heredia Jr., Minister of Aviation

“Sir Barry was one of those that came up with the idea of doing a wonderful and first calls airstrip over here. And you know that Barry, whatever he did he wanted that to be perfect and as best as possible. And hence the reason for naming it in his honor and today the unveiling of that statue which will remain over there for generations to come, hopefully.”

Channel 5

#526671 - 10/26/17 05:43 PM Re: Sir Barry Bowen's Bust unveiled at Municipal Airport [Re: Marty]  
Marty Offline
Marty  Offline

Presentation by Dixie Bowen, Barry Bowen’s wife

Good Morning~ Protocol having been established, welcome Ladies and Gentlemen, invited guests, friends and family. Thank you for joining us today.

It is my privilege to have been requested by the BAA to be asked to commission a statute of Sir Barry for The Sir Barry Bowen Airport, renamed in his honor last November.

The truth be known, Sir Barry was always taken by statues. When traveling he would always take time to stop and really study this form of art and I know today he would be so very proud of his lasting remembrance of himself, at the airport he so painstakingly designed and was determined to make a reality.

I would like to take this time to share the story behind the sculptor and this statue coming to fruition…. I had been approached or had suggestions from several parties about who might be the artist to take on this project. Then Michael told me Hilly knew of various artists in Cuba, had a particular artist in mind and that it would be a good idea to travel there to procure the proper sculptor.

In June of 2016, Hilly, my friend Julie Bacock and I traveled to Havana. We set out the next morning to visit various artists. Upon arrival at our first stop, the gentleman had just left for lunch, so we missed him. We stopped for a bite to eat and then began asking questions about a man Hilly did not know how to locate.

Out of the clear blue, came a comment that several blocks away there was a large stone of some sort in front of a home where possibly an artist lived. We proceeded to find that home and our taxi driver, Chino, began knocking on the door but to no avail.

It was a sultry afternoon in Havana as we sat awaiting a possible response. Just as we were about to give up, a lovely man came to the door. He kindly invited us in, although, we were totally interrupting his lunch with his wife and her brother.

Graciously, he showed us to his studio and stepped out for a moment only to return with a catalog of his work. Hilly, totally gob smacked was almost speechless. This was the very person he was looking for and immediately we all knew this was the correct sculptor for the job. Jose Ramon Villa Soberon.

His works throughout Cuba include the likes of Ernest Hemingway at the Floridita, John Lennon on a park bench in Havana, Mother Theresa, and numerous others throughout the world. And at that time he was sculpting Alecia Alonzo, the famous Cuban ballerina. Sir Barry was later to have her as good company in the artist’s studio.

Our trip included visits to other destinations in Cuba and since flights and hotels were already in place, we continued our trip. Although Cuba has a host of talented sculptors, with whom we met, none compare, or at least in my opinion, to Villa’s work. He is a master at his craft. Gracias Jose por su esfuerzo y dedicacion en este proyecto que es importante para mi, mi familia y Belice.

On several other occasions including the inauguration of the Sir Barry Bowen Airport I have been asked to speak. That WAS HIS forte, not mine, but on his behalf I will reiterate some excerpts from my speech at last year’s program for those of you who were not here.

The muni airstrip once a short landing strip is now one of the finest in the nation. For all of us, whether pilots or passengers it has given us a new sense of pride and safety as we take off and land. As the wife of the late Sir Barry, I know he would be overjoyed since his dream has become a reality. For so many years, he dreamt of this airport and spent hours envisioning how best to lay out and design this locale which has been renamed in his honor.

Barry’s flying career began early on with John Greif Sr. as his flight instructor. He soloed within 14 hours of instruction and found aviation and flying one of his favorite pastimes and the only way to travel efficiently around the country whether for business or pleasure. As we took off and touched down, many destinations proved to be a brand new adventure. Gallon Jug being probably the most beloved and exciting.

I had asked Johnny Roberson to say a few words today. I had wanted this to be a toast to Sir Barry and not so much his history from my viewpoint. Johnny could not be here today so I will share with you his story of Barry.

October 14th, 2017

Dearest Dixie,

It was kind of you to ask me to say a few words about Barry at the unveiling of his statue. Unfortunately, a previously planned rendezvous with our daughter and grandchildren were in conflict with dates.

I have written a few fond memories to share with you. Please feel free to use them, add to or subtract as you wish or just leave them as a letter between longtime friends.

One might ask, what else is there left to say?? A lot has been said, and rightfully so, about all of his accomplishments and yes, there were many. He is also remembered by some as a very hardnosed business man who would let no one or anything stand in the way of getting what he wanted. He had the reputation of often being a S.O.B and I don’t mean Sweet Ole Barry!

Hard, yes, he was and that may be true but…. how many today ever heard Barry sing? Ole Barry, he couldn’t carry a tune in a bucket! But that did not stop him from singing, loudly in an unknown key his version of Brukka Brukka Bullfrog. He would sing with a Pavarotti gusto that brought all of us into tears of laughter!

Often I would visit his office, either on business or just in to say hello and many times had to wait my turn to see him. When he did open his door to me, I learned not to be surprised when I saw who was leaving. Very often, it was someone I knew or knew of; someone that rumor had it was down on their luck. I could tell by the way they shook hands in parting that they were very thankful of their meeting. I knew or highly suspected what had happened… Barry had helped them out of a very bad situation. However, when I went in, not a word was ever mentioned about what if anything had occurred. I have no way of knowing how many he did help…

I recall another time when we were out fishing, we came upon the Bluefield Range. That exquisite setting seemed the right place to meet a few very interesting visiting gentlemen.

Of course, Barry started talking to them and soon learned they had visited Belize many years ago in their youth and were visiting again while they were still able. I heard later through the grapevine that Barry tracked them down and had quietly paid for their entire Belize trip.

I fondly recall when we asked you and Barry to be Godparents of our daughter. I really didn’t know what he would say but surprisingly, he quickly agreed and dates were set.

I will never forget how he not only took the occasion very seriously but hung on every word the Priest addressed about the responsibilities of being a Godparent.

That occasion meant a lot to our Family and our Carrie holds so dearly in her heart.

Another of many fond memories is fishing with Barry. Often, we would fish alone, in a small boat and usually somewhere he thought looked “fishy” while flying. We would go under the guise of “going to check it out and if it’s good, will bring the girls tomorrow” Hmmm….

We would take off with a cooler of snacks and made by you Dixie, for an afternoon of fishing. After finding his place that did not look a bit “fishy” to me we would bait hooks and wait. Not a word was spoken other than, “do you want a beer” or the too infrequent, “nice fish”. That is where I learned that as Cicero said, “Silence is one of the great arts of conversation.”

Just before dark, we would return still not talking. While unloading, often with a really nice fish or two he would finally break the silence with a big grin and a Thank You!!! That was a Great Day he would say! Barry would refuse all help then would clean the fish, go upstairs and perform one of his secret recipes that deliciously surprised us every time. He was also a great cook….

He may have seemed a hard man to many but to see him with children, you knew there was another side to him. He loved to teach the kids to “fish kiss”, a fun way of sucking in your cheeks while pecking a kiss on the forehead with those fish lips. Something that our children now teach their children!

How he told stories that he learned as a child; children sitting at his feet, taking it all in. Funny stories that we should have recorded, I do hope they are remembered.

While putting together this program and sending invitations there have been some interesting stories that I have come to know, as Johnny mentioned in his letter.

Most of us here today know Bert Andrews. He has been with Bowen and Bowen for many years. Bert’s position takes him all over the city and often Belmopan, dealing with work permits, licensing and whatever he is called on to do. A couple of weeks ago he phoned me from the Immigration office.

He was sitting with the Head of Immigration in Belize City, Mr. Sheldon Hudson. He had told Mr. Hudson about the unveiling and I was honored to know that Mr. Hudson would like to attend the ceremony. The story behind this is so very touching:

In 1991, Bowen and Bowen gave its first scholarship for education to a young man from Corozal. That student was Sheldon Hudson. His words were that he would forever be indebted to Sir Barry for that opportunity to further his schooling. He wonders had it not been for that scholarship if he would be where he is today, the Head of Immigration?

Barry did touch the lives of so many and with no need for recognition. Quoted from the Moon Handbooks~ Belize. “Barry Bowen was a prominent businessman in Belize whose products touched nearly every Belizean and every visitor to Belize, he also was a central figure in the political and economic history of modern Belize and a key link to the British Honduras past.”

“Admired or distrusted, envied or loved, Sir Barry Bowen was one of a kind. He made his mark on nearly every major event in his lifetime. Bold and full of life, ambitious and willing to take a risk, a man of vision and large plans, he was a multimillionaire who achieved things. There will be no one like him again in Belize.”

Many did not understand him. He was a complex man and often his views controversial. He had an impending need to do for his country. He WAS the son of the soil and one word, he was extraordinary.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Mr. Al McNab from Hyde Shipping for his generosity in shipping the statue of Sir Barry at no cost. He had hoped to join us today but had a previous obligation.

Secondly, my sincere thanks to RF&G for insuring the statue, gratis, from this day forward. Thank you so much.

Thirdly, today is a special day for several people in my life. First of all, Happy Birthday to Goli Guerrero, Miss Elvia’s daughter. Happy Birthday to my son Zander, it is his 40th. And on the count of three, please everyone join me in saying Happy Birthday to Johnny Greif. 1 2 3~ Happy Birthday Johnny!!!!!!

Thank you all for joining us today in the commemoration of the renaming of the airport and the unveiling of Sir Barry’s statue.

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
Paradise Guy Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
November
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Mini Chat
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Maya House, 1 invisible), 176 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics65,622
Posts466,442
Members18,955
Most Online1,262
Jun 10th, 2007

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.