Next Thread
Print Thread
What’s Up With Dredging In Caye Caulker? #526493
10/20/17 05:07 AM
10/20/17 05:07 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP
Now the runway renovation isn't the only project happening on Caye Caulker. San Pedro Belize Express Water taxi is dredging near their pier. Now some expressed concerns that this project could be damaging to the environment and to the reef. But Area Rep Heredia says the project is quite safe and all residents will benefit from it.

Hon. Manuel Heredia, Minister of Tourism
"Permission was granted by the department of hydrology, I believe who are the pertinent body, to San Pedro Belize Express to do a dredging on the side of their pier, because the water was too shallow and propellers were breaking every now and then. So after studying that with the pertinent bodies, they decided to grant them a permit to do it with the condition that all the materials will be for the use of the community and hence you can ask in Caye Caulker I think 3 days now they have been on the streets - just the cost of transportation whatever. That is what they are charging. But the sand will be distributed to all needy people including the 3 schools that we have."

"The schools have received a substantial amount of that material. Material is extremely scarce and so this opportunity from this company paying for the dredging and donating all the materials. You cannot get a better deal than that and I am sure that if you call the majority of people over there, they will tell you that they are happy to be receiving this material in their yards, particularly with this weather."

"Usually when they give this permit, they ensure that you have a curtain that will not spill any silt to the reef. But I must say anything that you do have little negative effect."

Courtney Weatherburne, reporter
"Has the department of environment cleared this project?"

Hon. Manuel Heredia, Minister of Tourism
"It is done by all bodies: Fisheries, department of the environment and geology. That is the procedures."

Channel 7

Water Taxi Has Permission to Dredge in Caye Caulker

There have been complaints from residents on Caye Caulker that a dredging project may have adverse effects on the surrounding ecosystem and the barrier reef.  Since the beginning of this month, San Pedro Belize Express Water Taxi has been dredging a spot next to its docking pier on the island because its boats have been experiencing various challenges. And even though concerns continue to mount, Belize Rural South area rep and Minister of Tourism Manuel Heredia Junior says that permission was given by the Geology Department to the water taxi for its dredging activities. In fact, Heredia Junior says that residents have been benefiting from the project.

Manuel Heredia Jr., Area Rep., Belize Rural South

“A permission was granted by the department, Geology I believe which is the pertinent body, to San Pedro Belize Express to do a dredging on the side of their pier because the water was too shallow and the propellers were breaking every now and then. So after studying that with the pertinent bodies, they decided to grant a permit to them with the condition that all the material will be for the use of the community. And hence you can ask in Caye Caulker, I think three days now that I have been on the streets, for our people – just the cost of the transportation, whatever; that is what they are charging – but the sand will be distributed to all needy people including the three schools that we have. The schools have received a substantial amount of that material. Material is extremely scarce and so this opportunity from this company paying for the dredging and donating all the material; you cannot get a better deal than that.”
Duane Moody

“Sir but does it have any environmental impact?”

Manuel Heredia Jr.

“Surely when they give these permits they ensure that you have a curtain that will not spill any silt to the reef. But I must say anything you do has its little negative effects.”

Reporter

“But has the department of Environment cleared this project?”

Manuel Heredia Jr.

“Well inspection is done by all bodies; Fisheries, Department of the Environment and Geology; that is the procedure. Who went there for the inspection, I cannot tell you because it was somebody privately that was getting over there so he can better answer that.”

Channel 5

Re: What’s Up With Dredging In Caye Caulker? [Re: Marty] #526519
10/21/17 06:02 AM
10/21/17 06:02 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP

Dredging in Caye Caulker Concerns Citizens

At the beginning of this month, the San Pedro Belize Water Taxi in Caye Caulker began dredging an area next to their docking pier. Many residents of the island are concerned that this activity will have a negative impact on the surrounding ecosystem, especially to the Barrier Reef which is less than a mile east of the island.

San Pedro Belize Water Taxi started the dredging project after they claimed to be experiencing various challenges, such as too shallow water causing the boat propellers to continuously break. Apparently, they requested a permit to start the dredging, which was granted to them by the Geology Department after they studied the problem. A permit was granted with the condition that the community would benefit from the material (sand) produced from the dredging. “Material is extremely scarce and so this opportunity for this company to pay for the dredging and donating all the material, you cannot get a better deal than that,” said Area Representative for Belize Rural South Manuel Heredia Jr. Therefore, all materials resulting from the dredging has been going to different areas in the community, such as schools and streets.

Click here to read the rest of the article in the San Pedro Sun

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
Paradise Guy Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
July
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Mini Chat
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 126 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics67,219
Posts470,346
Members19,197
Most Online1,262
Jun 10th, 2007

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day