FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofer: Buttered Toast
“Wake up. Time to get up.” “Hunh?” It seemed like my head had barely hit the pillow and Sherry was already calling me to wake up. “What’s going on? Why are you waking me at this time of day?” “Because you have to catch a seven o’clock flight for Belize City. Come on. I’m fixing breakfast for a change.” That perked me up. A few minutes later I stumbled into the kitchen as Sherry was pulling the bread from the toaster. “Do you want the toast buttered or dry?” she asked, as I sipped my coffee. “Buttered.”

Letter to the Editor: Marco Gonzalez Maya Site says thanks
Dear Editor, On Oct 19 and 20th, the Board of Directors of Marco Gonzalez Maya Site AC, Ltd. (MGMSAC, Ltd.), and Belize Institute of Archaeology (IoA) hosted children from San Pedro Town elementary schools and First Form High School to a program of learning about the ancient Maya. Students, teachers and a few parents and guests totaled 657 at El Patio Restaurant over the two-days to hear a fun and informative presentation by Mr. Antonio Beardall and staff of the Research Department, IoA. The children were rewarded with a Q&A ending by receiving items from IoA for the correct answers. Following the presentation, they viewed a large display of artifacts from excavations from five of the 21 Maya sites of Ambergris Caye, including Blackadore Caye.

Doctor Love: Staying Put
Dear Doctor Love, My husband and I are having a real conflict about moving to San Pedro. He loves the idea of owning a beach condo and is ready to put the “For Sale” sign on our home in Indiana. I am in tears over the thought of leaving. He works from home and is comfortable in any situation, so it doesn’t affect him as far as income or fitting in. I have two very close friends with whom I craft and paint and I dread leaving them and trying to make new friends. I love my house and daily routine and space I have created for my hobbies. We are in our mid-fifties, if we do sell and move, there is no going back. I am sick with worry about this. What do I do? /s/ Staying Put

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

San Pedro Pirates have won another home game after defeating Dangriga's Wagiya F C 5-0!

Shooting victim passes away
About 4:05pm on Wednesday the 25.10.17, police responded to a shooting incident on Patridge street where 28 year old Cardinal Andrews of Burrel Boom Village was unconscious with a gun shot to the back of head with an exit wound to forehead. He was in a critical condition. Ref the above victim succumb to his injuries. On Sunday 29.10.2017 at 4:12 p.m. Andrews passed away.

LAST AN” FUSA TIE:THE BUS RACE TO BOOM;AND DI WINNER IS ???
Two busses get too close!

Friend called him out of home and shot him
On 29.10.2017 about 7:30 a.m. police responded to a a report of a shooting in Jane Usher area of Belize City, where James Swazo received 1 gunshot wound to the abdomen and 1 gunshot wound to the right leg. Swaso was called outside by someone he knew. When he went outside the friend shot him and then rode off on a bicycle. Swazo is listed in a critical condition at the KHMH. Police are investigating.

3 charged for &60k in cash & jewelry
On Thursday 26 October, 2017 at about 9:30 a.m. Belmopan police responded to a robbery report at Frist Stop Pawn shop on Constitution Drive in Belmopan City. The manager of First Stop Pawn Shop, Alexia Neal stated that at 9:20 a.m. two men entered the Pawn Shop, and 1 robber (Henry Sosa) pulled out a rusty handgun and demanded that she open the barred gate. They stole $8500 in cash and gold jewelry valued at $51,000 and 1 Samsung Galaxy S6 edge valued $1400.

Married couple in accident, wife dies
On Saturday October 28th 2017, police responded to a road traffic accident between Mile 11 and 12 on the Southern Highway. 35 year old Allen Andrews of Sittee River village was travelling along with his wife Mellisa Dorothy Murillo in the direction of Sittee River Village to Silk Grass Village where she lost control of the motorcycle and collided into a white truck. When police arrived they saw Murillo lying motionless on the right hand side of the road with multiple cut wounds to the body. Allen Andrews is presently admitted and is listed in a stable condition.

Job Opening at BEL
A vacancy exists at Belize Electricity Limited for the post of Senior Business Analyst in the Corporate Services Division (Belize City).

Natural Resources and Environment House Committee Meeting POSTPONED
Oceana and the Belize Coalition to Save our Natural Heritage have been informed that the Meeting of the Natural Resources and Environment Committee scheduled for Monday, 30 October 2017, to discuss the Petroleum Operations (Maritime Zone Moratorium) Bill, has been postponed until further notice. We have been informed that when the date and time is confirmed, the Office of the Clerk will inform us. Please rest assured that we will advise the public of that date as soon as we get it. PLEASE REST ASSURED WE WILL CONTINUE TO BE BOTH VIGILANT AND TRANSPARENT ON THIS ISSUE.

PUP CITY COUNCILOR CANDIDATE JUSTIN USHER ARRESTED!!!
Appearing drunk or otherwise under the influence of drugs, want to be Belize city councilor Justin Usher is video taped crying as he is arrested by Belize city police officers.

The Reporter

Man critical after being shot at home in Belize City
A Belize City man is listed in a critical condition at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital after he was shot multiple times at his home this morning. The victim, James Swazo sustained a gunshot wound to his abdomen and another to his right leg after he responded to a knock at his front door. Police say that around 7:30 a.m., Swazo exited his home on Central American Boulevard and a gunman on a bicycle shot him amd fled.

Burnt human remains discovered off Coastal Road
The Reporter newspaper has officially confirmed that burnt human remains were found by a farmer off the Coastal road late Saturday evening. Our information is that the discovery was made in some bushes about 30 feet from the roadside, about 10 miles from La Democracia village. Trusted sources have confirmed that the identity nor the gender of the deceased could be established, since it was completely decomposed. It appears that the body was set on fire after it was placed at the location.

Man shot last week dies
Police, a few minutes ago, confirmed that a man who was shot in Belize City last week has died of his gunshot wound. Cardinal Andrews, who was shot last Wednesday evening on Partridge Street, died at 4:12 p.m., today. Andrews was shot in the back of the head as he sat on a car. The bullet penetrated his brain and exited the front portion of his head.

Several persons, including minor, reportedly shot
The Reporter has received unconfirmed but reliable reports that several persons were shot a few minutes ago in Belize City. The incident happened on Neal Penn Road and thr victims include two brothers, a minor and an elderly man. We do not know the names or the extent of the injuries they sustained, and are awaiting information from the police ar this point.

Woman dies in traffic accident
A hit and run accident between a motorcycle and a truck on the Southern highway Saturday night has claimed the life of a wife and mother, while her husband is in a serious condition at the Southern Regional Hospital. Preliminary information received is that sometime after 8:00 Saturday night, Melissa Murillo was driving a motorcycle from Sittee River to Silk Grass village, when she lost control of the motorcycle and crashed into a white truck. The accident happened between miles 11 and 12 on the Southern highway.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Robert’s Grove Resort burglarized
Robert’s Grove Resort in Seine Bight village, Stann Creek district was targeted by thieves this week. According to police, on Thursday South African businessman and General Manager of Robert’s Grove Resort, Mark Ridge, 48, told cops that between between 5 p.m. and 8:45 p.m. that day, the Accountant’s Office was burglarized.

Police says shooting victim in a critical condition
This morning we reported on a shooting incident in the Jane Usher Boulevard area of Belize City. Police have subsequently released a report confirming the incident. Police say that at about 7:30 a.m. cops responded to the scene and found James Swazo suffering from two gun shot wounds.

Cardinal Andrews succumbs to gunshot injuries
Police say that Cardinal Andrews, 31, succumbed to his injuries at 4:12 p.m. today. On Thursday evening Andrews was sitting on a parked car on Partridge street in Belize City when a gunman rode up to him and opened fire.

Four men shot in Belize City
A shooting just now has left four men injured. Minutes ago we received reports of the incident and visited the scene on Pen Road in Belize City. We spoke to family members who told us that their loved ones were simply socializing when a gunman on a bicycle rode up to them and fired the shots.

James Swaso shot in Belize City
A Belize City man is fighting for his life at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital (KHMH) after a gunman knocked on his door. Sources say that the armed assailant visited the residence of James Swaso on Central American Boulevard at around 8 a.m. today.

Blogs

2017 Hanal Pixan was held in Corozal
A Mayan celebration of the famous Mexican holiday Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead), Hanal Pixan is a time for family and friends to honor the memories of their deceased ancestors. Over the first two days of November, spirits are believed to return to the earth for a celebration of food, drink, and prayer. Their graves are decorated with gifts and fruit and altars are prepared with photographs, the iconic Mexican sugar skulls, and colorful flowers.In Mayan tradition, death comes in waves. The first death is, of course, a literal one and comes the moment that the human body ceases to function. A second death occurs with burial as the body is returned to the earth. Hanal Pixan is considered so important, though, because of the third kind of death: the end that comes when a person is no longer remembered or thought of by those still living. The stories and dances, poems and prayers that are characteristic of these days are meant to preserve the memory of those deceased, to help their spirits have some kind of immortality.

Nook Restaurant & Cocktail Bartique: 5 Cool Things To Keep You Coming Back
I hardly EVER go out at night – I am, by nature, a bit of a homebody and well…it’s hard taking pictures at night. But last week, we had friends in town – and they wanted to go out to eat. So Wednesday night we headed into town early. 5pm dinner at Nook Restaurant & Bartique on the beach. They have been open on Ambergris Caye for 2 years now! I met Erin, one of the the owner, a few years ago in Placencia in Southern Belize at another one of her creations, Mojo Lounge. (You can check out her first few weeks on Ambergris Caye here.) What I love about Nook is that it’s different – lounge-y and cool with a big front porch and lots of seating nooks inside… From 4pm to 6:30pm, all starters and cocktails are half price! HALF PRICE! And wait…on Wednesday, there’s more!

International Sourcesizz

What’s the Chance of a Caribbean Free Trade Agreement?
Recent years have seen a seismic shift in global politics. The election of US President Donald Trump, Brexit, and ongoing political turmoil in the European Union (EU) that’s seen imbalance between prosperous nations like Germany and embattled nations like Greece, has shaken the foundations of political consensus on globalization that existed for decades previously. This in tandem with China’s growth. Beijing’s growing global influence has seen many nations looking inwards and to protectionism, seeking to defend against the Chinese government’s currency manipulation, and other economic manoeuvres by the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) that have resulted in an uneven playing field in global trade for many nations.

First immigration affairs meeting held between Taiwan, Belize
Taiwan and Belize have held their first meeting on immigration affairs, according to a press release issued Sunday by the National Immigration Agency (NIA). The meeting was held late September in Taipei with the aim of strengthening bilateral immigration cooperation, allowing for shared data on crime and setting up platforms for exchange visits by immigration officials from each side, said the NIA. Belize Minister of State in the Ministry of Immigration Beverly Williams was invited by Taiwan's foreign ministry to attend the meeting, the NIA said.

Mission Cry on track to meet audacious goal
Have you ever set a goal that was so lofty that you knew, short of a miracle, there was no way you could meet it? That’s exactly what Jason Woolford and his team did at Mission Cry several months ago when they set out to equip the entire country of Belize with Bibles and Christian books. For recap, he says, “The goal was that every home in the entire country of Belize would have access to a free Bible or Christian book. Our goal was that by November 17th that that would come to pass. We’re so excited. We need to send six sea containers in order to fulfill those quantities to be able to freely distribute those Bibles and Christian books.”

Videos

• Gray Fox, Farm 9, Monkey River road, .5min.

• Officer exhibits poor manual dexterity outside Nightclub in Belmopan on Saturday night., 1.5min.

• Church parade in Corozal., 2min.

• Orange-breasted Falcon Plucking Prey, 1min. Orange-breasted Falcon (Falco deiroleucus) plucking prey, a Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus). Filmed in Belize, Central America in April 2017.

• Placencia Players Theatre “Another Day in Paradise”, 47min. An amusing day in the life of ordinary people living in a Caribbean village. A diverse cast of characters are seeking their dreams and are brought together in a local bar. Connecting in unexpected ways may lead them to find or to lose paradise! Story by Mark Finnegan, Lynn Upham and Rebecca Walton Script by Rebecca Walton Performed in Placencia, Belize on April 9, 2017 at the Tipsy Tuna Seaside and Sports Bar (Please note: includes some mature content)

• Placencia Players Theatre “Ebony Scrooge”, 45min. Performed December 18, 2016 at the Tipsy Tuna, Placencia Village, Belize. The premier production of Placencia Players Theatre, “Ebony Scrooge”, is a modern adaptation of Charles’ Dickens “A Christmas Carol “. While the Dickens story is set in turn of the century London, the Placencia Players Theatre version takes place today here in Placencia. The story hinges on how greedy Ebony Scrooge who dislikes Christmas has a change of heart after she is visited by three ghosts showing her past behavior and what could happen to her in the future if she doesn’t have a change in attitude.

• Water Is Life, Volume Three, 5min.

• The Great Blue Hole and Lighthouse reef Belize, 5.5min. We spend a day on a boat sailing through the open ocean to get to the Lighthouse Reef, the Blue Hole and charming atolls.

• Un-belize-able Honeymoon, 4min. Spent 10 days with my new wife travelling all around Belize and finding all the adventurous things we could get ourselves into!

• Belize, 4min. Lamanai Mayan Ruins & River Boat Safari.

• Belize Mission Trip Report, 6min. Several of our youth and adult church members joined a group from the Kaneohe Seventh-day Adventist Church for a mission trip to Punta Gorda, Belize where they did construction and led a Vacation Bible School. This is a interesting and inspirational report by several of the group.

• International judo Day Belize, 6min.

• Belize NOW | Oct 27, 2017, 30min. (1)Belize host CARI COM - MEXICO Summit. (2)Ministry of Works moving forward in upgrading the Coastal Road. (3)Belize Social investment Fund teams up with CDB to launch a new project (4)Ministry of Rural Development hands over water supply equipment to Patchakan Water Board and Paraiso Village Council receives riding mower. (5)Intellectual Property and Innovation. (6)Launch of model guidelines for sexual offence in the Caribbean region.

• Belize: (i Viaggi de Il Mondo Insieme), 13min. Dove la barriera corallina è patrimonio dell'umanità.

• On the Beach at Sandy Toes Beach Bar on Ambergris Caye, Belize, 4.5min. Hey Everyone, It's William Narod, The Paradise Guy and today I am on the beach on Ambergris Caye at Sandy Toes. This cool little beach bar is located in the Boca Del Rio area just North of San Pedro Town.