Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#526885 - 11/07/17 05:22 AM PUP unveils its Belize City’s Municipal Slate  
Marty Online happy
Marty  Online Happy

On Saturday evening the People’s United Party presents its slate to contest the upcoming municipal elections in 2018 in Belize City. The PUP’s Mayoral Candidate is Bernard Wagner and councilor aspirants are Ayesha Gentle, Dr. Candice Pitts, Delthrude Hylton, Ryan Elijio, Micah Goodin, Oscar Arnold, Allan Pollard, Javier Castellanos, Michael Noralez and Albert Vaughan. Mayoral Candidate, Bernard Wagner, addressed the gathering.

“As we launch our campaign tonight I promise to you the voters that our campaign will be one of high moral standards. Taking the high ground so to speak. We will leave the petty politics and the mudslinging to those that do it best. I honestly believe the that voters of Belize City and the country want a new kind of politics, a new brand of politics. The voters are tired of lies and name-calling and tired of being paid a couple hundred dollars for their votes while the politicians laugh all the way to the bank. Our voters, you know what our voters want? Our voters want solutions to everyday challenges. Everyday challenges, the struggling single mom trying to raise two kids on minimum wage, she needs a wage, a living wage. The small business owner who because of dwindling sales is unable to pay his trade license he needs relief. The middle-income families whose mother or father is diagnosed with a critical illness thus impairing their income they need help. The families that have to wade in the water-filled streets when it rains that we can do better.”

The team was presented in a rally titled “The Rebirth” at the Pound Yard in Belize City where all aspirants addressed their supporters

LOVEFM

P.U.P. Names Belize City Slate, Hope for “Re-Birth”

The People’s United Party on Saturday evening presented its team of eleven aspirants for the Belize City Council, which it has not controlled since 2006.  The team consists of first time mayoral aspirant Bernard Wagner and councilor aspirants, Ayesha Gentle, Doctor Candice Pitts, Delthrude Hylton, Ryan Elijio, Micah Goodin, Oscar Arnold, Allan Pollard, Javier Castellanos, Michael Noralez and Albert Vaughan.  Saturday’s rally, titled The Rebirth, emphasized that the party was willing and wanting to do more for the City. But a win here would also certainly validate the party’s chances at the national level, and so all the stops were pulled out – from choice of venue to musical guests and speakers. Aaron Humes was there for it all and files the following report.

Bernard Wagner, P.U.P. Mayoral Candidate, Belize City

“Actually, our opponents have been harping for quite some time on this slate; as a matter of fact, for a few months now we have been hearing this story and that story – “oh, you know, the P.U.P., they can’t find candidates to run; when will the P.U.P. announce the slate?” Well, you know, my friends, I am here to tell them tonight – start to worry! Because our team will bring a sledgehammer and break down the door of this U.D.P. stranglehold that has gripped the City for the past twelve years.”

Aaron Humes, Reporting

One by one on the stage at Pound Yard Bridge, chairman Henry Charles Usher accepted the nominations and swore in each member of the team the People’s United Party believes will bring the “Rebirth” of the Old Capital should they win in March. No less than half of the slate is under the age of forty; there are three women, and three candidates are in their twenties. They all, however, lay claim to rising from hard childhoods and now want to give back, like Dr. Candice Pitts.

Dr. Candice Pitts, Councilor Candidate

“I never had the opportunity before, so I want to publicly thank everyone who ever bought a ‘johnny cake’ from me. Thank you very much. And I stand before you in this moment, to ask once again that we enter a new kind of partnership; that we collaborate, that we work together to transform our lives in this City. Allow me; give me the opportunity to serve you. Give me the opportunity to be your voice, to announce your concerns – what hurts you, what pains you, what frightens you, what keeps you up at night, what makes your children cry, what you have to live without day after day; what you need.”

While all showed passion and intellect, the returning Micah Goodin, and newcomers Allan Pollard, and Ryan Elijio in particular, struck a chord as they shared their experiences as young black men seeking to be the vanguard of change.

Micah Goodin, Councilor Candidate

“I am twenty-four-year-old Micah Goodin, and I am afraid, because men that look just like me die in these streets every day. There are no opportunities here. Since the U.D.P. took office, the only thing that has changed is the quality of the streets that we are killed on; the drains remain the same.”

Allan Pollard, Councilor Candidate

“I think I could speak for all of us when I say, wi tiad. Wi tiad a walk pah new street with hungry belly; wi tiad a walk pah new street with stress and worries; wi tiad a live in a city full a debts and no opportunities. That’s why we will ensure that we focus more on people and less on infrastructure.”

Ryan Elijio, Councilor Candidate

“As a teacher, I have seen days when children come to school hungry, can’t have any books, no money to pay for project, can’t even put their twenty-five cents for purified water. We’ve heard children crying, how the police come beat up their brother; how the police come beat up dehn pa. We’ve seen the tears of the children in our country, and this City Council does not say anything about it.”

But what will the P.U.P. do about it? The P.U.P. team’s plans, according to Wagner, will be more than streets, drains and garbage.

Bernard Wagner

“We will ensure – listen to me – we will ensure that there are parenting classes for young mothers, young fathers who may not be prepared for parenting. We will ensure that there are support and counseling services for the hundreds of mothers and fathers who have lost their children to gun violence. We will work with B.E.L. to ensure that the street lamps are brighter, so that our streets are safer. We will abolish the “London Bridges,” and build a Southside park, that will rival anything we have in this country. And – this is my part that I love – we will bring back the Belize City Games, and Under-Seventeen football, and Little League baseball.”

Will the road to March 2018 end in a strike-out, or grand slam? The fight has just begun. Aaron Humes reporting for News Five.

Channel 5

#526903 - 11/08/17 06:00 AM Re: PUP unveils its Belize City’s Municipal Slate [Re: Marty]  
Marty Online happy
Marty  Online Happy

Can Newcomer Bernard Wagner Lead The PUP To First Municipal Victory In A Decade?

The PUP Slate for the Belize City Council - for months we've been pressing Opposition Leader John Briceno to come up with the names. And finally, the slate was launched on Saturday. That's more than two months after the UDP held its municipal convention, but it's more or less in line with the timeframe for when the PUP launched its last Belize City slate, which was in November of 2014. The only problem is that slate - led by Yolanda Shakron - lost by a wide margin.

So what will be the fate for the new PUP team led by political newcomer Bernard Wagner? Today we spoke to the businessman and former banker at his micro-credit office in Belize City. He told us he had to step out of his comfort zone to jump into politics:..

Bernard Wagner - PUP Mayoral Hopeful
"Coming out of your comfort zone is always a huge decision and anyone who comes out of that comfort zone always feel a little bit pressure. You have to go through a stage where you are mulling over it, thinking about it, is this the right decision - but at the end of the day Jules, the one factor that was over the entire process was the fact that I would be serving my community."

Jules Vasquez, reporter
"How was the experience on Saturday night, facing that crowd, having to give a speech on rostrum? I know that is not you, Bernard."

"You're so right. First time on the stage trying to speak to not only the base of the party, but to new people who are looking for hope and I clearly outlined that Saturday that my brand of politics would be one that takes the high road and ones that offer solution to some of the challenges that the city residents are facing."

Jules Vasquez, reporter
"Your slate, you team, what sort of energy experience you get from them?"

"Jules, we have a very dynamic team. A wide verse of professionals, first time candidates."

Jules Vasquez, reporter
"The conventional wisdom is that UDP has spent so many tens of millions, hundreds of millions quite possibly over the years between the east and west of the country - from San Pedro right up to Benque Viejo, infrastructure programs - all these sorts of things - that is the UDPs access of control from Benque, San Ignacio, Belmopan, Belize City, San Pedro and that the PUP, if it has hopes, has to have it in the north and perhaps in the south. So fortune does not favor your slate. How do you respond to that?"

"Jules, I like story of a David and Goliath. That's one of my favorite stories and I believe in the people of Belize City and the people of Belize City really wants change. We will never be able to match the financial purse of the UDP, but what we do have are people who are willing to put in the work and put in the hard work, hit the pavements, meet the people on the streets. The feedback we have been getting has been tremendous."

Jules Vasquez, reporter
"Are you concern of being about being placed in a box that 'you are Bernard from Southside.' I'm saying that I heard the leader say it and I know that it's often being said in the pitch made about you that you have very strong based in the Southside, because of your community work, but the city is 2 sides."

"Yeah, I was born and bred on Pen Road, Raccoon Street, Queen's Square. I've been in those 3 divisions. Over the years I've been able to build valuable relationships within those 3 areas. At the same time as a professional I've been able to build relationships with the middle income earner of this society - with the top echelon corporate people. So, I've been able to speak to the grassroots, speak to the middle income earners and speak to the corporations and that in itself I feel give me tremendous leverage going into this election."

Notably, Wagner was going to be a part of the UDP municipal slate in 2006, but his employer at the time didn't permit him to run. He says that since that time he has become disillusioned with the UDP.

Channel 7

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
Paradise Guy Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
November
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Mini Chat
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Marty, 2 invisible), 217 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics65,665
Posts466,544
Members18,960
Most Online1,262
Jun 10th, 2007

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.