FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofer: Lightning
“Let’s eat here.” I pointed at the new little restaurant on the beach. “Fine with me,” Mario said. When Mario works for me I usually buy lunch for him as I was doing now. As we waited for our food, Mario looked down the beach and said, “Hey, isn’t that Bill and Jenny Martin coming there? Hey, Bill! Jenny!” He waved them over to our table and they joined us for lunch. “Where you been?” Mario asked. “Seems like I ain’t seen you for half a year.” “We’ve been spending time in Chicxulub, Mexico.” Bill said. “Oh, yah. On the beach over near Merida.”

Letter to the Editor: Fundraiser for the Polyclinic
Dear San Pedro Community, It is time to do a major fundraiser for the Polyclinic! A few weeks ago, I witnessed a moving experience. The Polyclinic medical staff saved the life of one of our island residents. The standard of emergency care by the staff of the San Pedro Polyclinic was outstanding from the time the patient was brought in to her delivery to Tropic Air. Tropic Air was also outstanding in its efforts of coordinating the flight as well as providing a stretcher for transporting the patient to Belize City. The emergency service team in Belize City was waiting at Belize Municipal Airport for onward transportation to Belize HealthCare Partners. The surgeon who then was waiting to perform the surgery said that had the patient not arrived at the hospital when she did, she would have died within three hours. The happy ending of this story is that patient is currently recovering back on the island.

Doctor Love: Concerned Parent
Dear Doctor Love, I am the mother of a fourteen-year-old girl who is a pretty good kid. She does well in school, is happy and compassionate and has a large circle of friends. Last weekend I was in town late in the evening and I happened to see three of her friends. They were accompanied by a much older boy and they were all very drunk. One girl in particular was being physically supported by the boy and her friend. I approached them and they were embarrassed and they did let me send them home in a taxi. When I casually asked my daughter if she engages in this behavior, her surprise told me that she was telling the truth when she said no. She has a curfew and we have a very open relationship as far as discussions about sex, drugs and drinking. My problem is now I worry about her being influenced by her friends, but I don’t know if I should tell her to stay away from them. I also don’t know if I should speak to the girls’ mothers. My husband thinks I should let it go for our daughters’ sake and I am inclined to agree except I would feel terrible if something happened to these girls and I stayed silent. Help me do what is best for my daughter. /s/ Concerned Parent

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Despite losing 2-1 against Verdes, San Pedro Pirates are in for the playoffs
After securing the fourth place in the Premier League of Belize!

Releasing a boa
BWRC's staff are awesome! The job is often dirty, always demanding, sometimes a bit dangerous or requiring overcoming some fears and may involve walking good distances. Thanks to Godwin for taking the 7 foot boa 1.6 Miles into the jungle to release her far away from (human) danger. Her story? She was nearly killed for being in someone's yard in the city, saved by Gordon Kirkwood and then treated and allowed to recover from head trauma at BWRC. Relocation recommendation for snakes (especially as large as this one) is 1 Mile or more away from human settlements and by a water source.

2nd Annual Belize International Yoga Festival
December 2 and 3, 2017. Harbour View Greens, Fort Street, Belize City

The home next to Bilal welding service which is adjacent to Brodie’s on the Northern Highway in Belize City went up in flames on Saturday night
The fire occurred after 11 p.m. on 11.11.2017. Yusuf Bilal and his family were awakened by the smell of smoke and found fire coming from behind a refrigerator. The structure measuring 24x30 feet and all it's contents were destroyed by the fire. Mr. Bilal received minor burns over his body, his wife Beatrice received burns to the left side of her back & left palm and their daughter escaped unharmed. The fire was extinguished by the Fire Department. The house and it's contents were not insured.

PLACENCIA & DANGRIGA BARTENDER TRAINING
BELIZE MIXOLOGY is ONCE AGAIN coming to the south for BARTENDER and CUSTOMER SERVICE TRAINING! Details are as follows: ~INTRODUCTION TO BARTENDING. Date: TUESDAY NOVEMBER 21st to 23rd. PRICE: $250 per person. ADVANCED BARTENDING. Date: FRIDAY NOVEMBER 24th to 27th. PRICE:$350 per person.

San Pedro Fitness Day
Come one come all, 4 Instructors, Fitness Models, DJ, Food, Refreshments! Sat Nov 11, 7:AM Louis Sylvester Stadium, San Pedro

Raise Me Up loves Blue Water GrillQ
Not only did they help us finish Construction at New Horizons School Library, they just donated two computers and enough funds to build shelves, tables and buy chairs! These guys truly are amazing and we hope everyone else loves them as much as we do. Their monthly program makes a huge difference to our organization and many others, we can’t thank you enough!

Dynamics of Belize
Free free dance with the best band of belize from 9 pm to 2 am come and enjoy. Volleyball marathon during the day with trophies and cash prizes and give aways. Nov. 18th, San Joaquin Village behind the football field.

Power outage scheduled for a portion of Stann Creek District on Thursday, November 16 from 7:00am to 1:00pm
To affect portions of Placencia Peninsula up to Miller’s Landing, Placencia Lagoon Estate, Noralez Extension, Sunset Drive and Malacate Areas of Independence Village. BEL to conduct maintenance and testing of equipment, and install reclosers at Independence Substation.

Dance X Belize 2017
The 2017 Dance X Belize is coming to Cayo on Friday, November 24th. It'll all happen at the Cayo Welcome Center. Check out the promo video to get and idea of what it's all about, and to see some cool dance moves. "Western Masqueraders just Confirmed! Join them for Dance X BZ 2017 in San Ignacio, Cayo on Friday, November 24, 2017 at the Welcome Center!"

CELEBRATING GARIFUNA CULTURE @ the House of Culture on Wed., Nov. 15th.

Garifuna FlavoursCELEBRATING GARIFUNA CULTURE The San Pedro House of Culture in collaboration with the Black & White Cultural Center cordially invites the general public to come and celebrate the Garifuna Culture and enjoy a live performance by The Charikanari Dancers. On Wednesday November 15th, 2017 At 7:00 pm. At the San Pedro House of Culture.

The Reporter

Did policemen rape women in their custody?
The Belize Police Department has begun an investigation into a report that three of its officers allegedly raped two women who were in their custody. The allegation is that the incident took place at a police station in southern Belize on Thursday night. Reports reaching the Reporter is that the women, who are said to be cousins, were detained pending investigations of human trafficking, but neither of them was charged with any offense. We have been informed that the Police Department’s Professional Standards Bureau is investigating the report.

Fire leaves family homeless; two injured
A late night fire has left a family of three homeless, and two of them injured from burns. Police are investigating the circumstances of how 62-year-old Yusef Bilal’s home at 2 ˝ miles on the Philip Goldson Highway caught fire around 11:15 last night. Police say that Bilal along with his wife Beatriz Bilal, 56, and their daughter Sadiya Bilal, 13, woke up to the smell of smoke. The couple got their injuries trying to escape the fire; however, their daughter escaped unharmed. When authorities arrived at the scene around 11:30 pm, the entire 24×30 feet structure was engulfed in flames. The Fire Department extinguished those flames, but there was nothing left to save. Neither the house nor its contents were insured.

Haven House invites you to shine a light on domestic violence
Haven-House, a non-profit NGO that provides programs and services for domestic violence survivors, is calling on Belizeans to install a purple light bulb in their home or office during their “Shine Your Light On Domestic Violence” awareness campaign. The annual campaign is in support of both survivors of domestic violence and in remembrance of those who have lost their lives because of it. As a part of the organization’s fundraising efforts, persons are invited to purchase a purple light bulb from Haven House, so those funds can help the organization to continue offering its services. Those interested in purchasing a light bulb can call Mindi Pratt, program director at Haven House, at 630-4839. Over the past 23 years, Haven House has offered emergency shelter for women and their children, food, clothing and basic counselling, free of cost, to domestic violence victims.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

House burns in Belize City
There was a fire reported in Belize City last night around 11:30 p.m. police responded to a report of a house fire on the Philip Goldson Highway at mile 2 1/2.

BELIZE WILL VOTE 70% NO TO I.C.J.
By Richard Harrison: As this process already involves international actors and interests….Guatemala and Belize will still spend many millions in ”popular consultation” and referendum vote to see if the people are in agreement to take this imaginary “diferendum” which was ANGLO-GUATEMALAN…and because of their unilateral decisions they change it to BELIZE-GUATEMALA DIFERENDUM…to the International Court of Justice (ICJ).

Belize City police find weed,gun and ammo
On Friday night around 6:15, as s result of operation ACT, officers conducted searches in the Conch Shell Bay area that resulted in the discovery of 214.5 grams of cannabis and a 38 derringer firearm with (2) .38 rounds of ammunition.

Belize City police find ammo
Yesterday morning around 11:30, Belize City police were on operation ACT and conducted a search in an abandon lot on Flamboyant Street that resulted in the discovery of (7) 7.62 bronze ammunition with no visible brand.

BDF soldier served with notice of intended prosecution
On Friday night around 7:45, Dangriga police responded to a report of a traffic accident between miles 1 and 2 on the Southern Highway. Police saw a beach cruiser bicycle extensively damaged on the right hand side of the road.

Blogs

Belize It or Not: A True or False Trivia Quiz about BELIZE
Belize is a tiny country but filled with mystical magical things. From the 2nd longest coral reef in the world to some of the densest, untouched forest in this hemisphere. We also have the smallest capital city in Central America and one of the least dense populations in the world. Interesting…I know! So here are some simple True or False questions that…aren’t always so simple. See how you fare. All the answers are at the end.

Dr. Eric Thompson was one of the foremost scholars Maya Civilization in Belize
The late Dr. Eric Thompson (1898-1975) was one of the foremost scholars of Maya civilzation. He first visited Belize in 1927 to excavate Lubantuun in the Toledo District. Dr. Thompson was awarded the Mexican Order of the Aztec Eagle and was a commander of the Spanish order of isabel la Catolica. He was a fellow of the British Academy and was awarded and Honorary Doctorate of Letters by the Tulane University in 1972. He was practicularly concerned with deciphering Maya hieroglphs. Dr. Thompson developed several close friendship during his many seasons excavating in Belize, notably with his assistant Jacinto Cunil, whom he had originally hired in San Jose Succotz, Cayo District in 1928, and who later became his compadre. In 1970 Dr. Thompson prsented this manuscript to the people of Belize.

BFREE is a mission to Conserve the Biodiversity and cultural heritage of Belize.
BFREE’s mission is “to conserve the biodiversity and cultural heritage of Belize.” As the only field station in this biologically important area, we seek to achieve our mission by successfully integrating scientific research, environmental education, and conservation initiatives in the Maya Mountains of Belize, while also enhancing sustainable development, providing alternative livelihoods, and ultimately improving the quality of life for Belizeans and visitors from abroad.

International Sourcesizz

Staging Bird Murders to Save a Species
Interesting read on the training birds go through to survive release back into the wild.
The chatty green parrots had a front-row seat to a spine-chilling show. Tethered to a tree branch not far from their cage, another parrot, similar in appearance but of a different species, was armored in a small leather vest. As the green parrots looked on, a man approached the lone parrot with yet another bird leashed to his arm: a red-tailed hawk. The hawk lunged at the parrot in the vest, wrapping its talons around it. The parrot screamed, a sound only made when death is imminent. Satisfied, the man pulled the hawk off. This simulated attack—don’t worry, the parrot was unscathed thanks to the vest—was a ruse, aimed at Puerto Rican parrots about to be released into the wild for the first time. A critically endangered species found nowhere else in the world, those chatty green birds had never known life outside of captivity. So they were being taught what to look out for when they headed into hawk territory.

Videos

• Morning Matters with Michelle, 60min.

• Morning Matters in Caye Caulker, 60min.

• Belize Cave Tubing, 4min. Belize Cave Tubing. Shot with a GoPro Hero5 black on a cave tubing excursion with Butts Up Cave Tubing in Nov. 2017.

• BDF FC vs Freedom Fighters FC (PLB), 70min.

• The BBDC presents "Hitting Hard" Fight Night Cayo, 2hr.