FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Police Report
San Pedro Police are investigating an armed robbery, which occurred on Friday, November 17th at an establishment known as Procell Store located on Sea Grape Street south of San Pedro Town. The incident occurred around 4:30PM, while the proprietor, Gladys Adelita Cortez, was tending to a customer. She reported that two male persons entered the shop and then one of them threatened her with a firearm.
On Friday, November 17th, San Pedro Police was patrolling an unnamed street in the San Mateo Area, when their attention was drawn to 20-year-old Gerson Marroquin, Belizean labourer of the same area. Police immediately conducted a search on him, resulting in the discovery of a transparent plastic bag of suspected cannabis, weighing a total of 109 grams. Marroquin was then arrested and charged with Drug Trafficking.

Wolfe’s Woofer: Twick or Tweet
“Make sure you pick up a bag of Halloween candy at the store,” Sherry said. “Of course, I’ll get Halloween candy. I love that stuff. I might get some candy corn if they have any of it at Super Buy.” “Remember, this isn’t for you. This is for the kids on Halloween.” “What? I don’t give out candy on Halloween.” “Ah, you’re just a grumpy old man.” “No, I’m not. When they knock on the door it makes the dog bark, it lets all of the air conditioning out and I have to give away my candy. I have good reason not to like Halloween.”

Letter to the Editor: Is this your Isla Bonita?
Dear Editor, I invite all members of the San Pedro Town Council to take a walk on the beach, south, and stop just to the south of Exotic Caye Resort. I would like all of them to take a good look at the monster, 4 story, steel frame structure going up within 100 feet of the beach. Now please answer truthfully. Is this your Isla Bonita? You are destroying the very thing you are marketing. Judy Schreiner San Pedro

Doctor Love: The X-Factor and Bad Friend
Dear Doctor Love, A former boyfriend from twenty years ago just sent me a friend request on social media. I am happily married and my husband knows this man contacted me, so there is no secret about it. I admit I am curious about him, but I am not still in love with him or anything. We have many good friends in common, so I see his posts sometimes anyway. My husband laughs says go ahead but my best friend says absolutely do not talk to this guy. So far, I haven’t deleted or accepted the offer. Should I just ignore and delete it, answer him tell him I’d rather not or accept it and catch up with an old friend? /s/ The X-Factor

Ambergris Today

Garifuna Yurumei In PicturesThe Garinagu are a lively group of people rich in culture and proud of their heritage. They arrived in Belize after fleeing from slavery in St. Vincent in 1802. Today the Yurumei, the “landing” of the Garinagu in Belize, is celebrated in an early morning reenactment of their arrival throughout the country of Belize. Despite the rain, the Garinagu sang, danced and paraded through the streets of downtown San Pedro. Here are images of the Yurumei held in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Belmopan Temperatures & Rain 2008 - 2017: Graph
In recent years, we have been having less extreme high and low temperatures. This year has been cooler than most recent years. But the rain, despite very, very different events, averages our around the same annual figure.

AMAURYS on Caye Caulker
AMAURYS, the cuban musician, will be playing at "Il Baretto" November the 20th and the 23rd from 7 to 9 pm. Come and enjoy the great musician with our fine drinks and good food

Minister Elrington Meets with Belizeans and Friends of Belize in Los Angeles
Hon. Wilfred Elrington, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Home Affairs, transited through Los Angeles on his return home from the Republic of China (Taiwan). During his brief stop in Los Angeles, Minister Elrington met with the Consul General, Mr. Roland Yorke, who had organized a session with Belizeans living in Los Angeles and friends of Belize. Minister Elrington briefed the gathering on recent developments in Belize including economic developments and Belize – Guatemala relations, stressing the imperative to resolve Guatemala’s claim to Belize at the International Court of Justice.

BPP Letter: Garifuna Settlement Day
Amid the abject corruption that abounds and is unfortunately now the rule as opposed to the exception, coupled with its accompanying socio-economic woes, thankfully Belize remains blessed in being a multi-ethnic and multicultural nation, like none other. The rich, cultural diversity of Belize is noteworthy for it is comprised of a wide array of traditions. Within that, unique mix is the vibrant Garifuna culture, which is well recognised for its contributions to: education, music and other artistic forms of expression. Let us celebrate this holiday in solidarity with our nation’s rich, cultural diversity and also maintain a commitment to safeguard every square inch of our sovereign territory, from the proud Rio Hondo to Old Sarstoon, without exception. Therefore, the Belize Progressive Party (BPP) takes this opportunity to wish all Belizeans a happy, blessed and safe Garifuna Settlement Day 2017!

Belize & beyond - have a safe & Blessed Garifuna Settlement Day 2017!

A power outage is scheduled for the entire Corozal District on Sunday, November 26 from 6:00am to 2:00pm
Necessary for BEL to replace transmission and distribution poles, replace insulators, install a load break switch, and reconfigure the new system on Corozal Boulevard.

Creating music together!
American Music Abroad's Maimouna Youssef and Friends with Pen Cayetano!

The Reporter

Friday’s plane crash triggers investigations looking into several factors
An investigation has been launched into the Friday morning plane crash at the Placencia municipal airstrip, to determine who was at fault for the incident. There have been varied reports over whether one of the barriers at both ends of the runway was lowered to prevent the accident from happening. Normally, both barriers are lowered whenever planes touch down or take off to prevent vehicular traffic from passing in front of the runway during those times. A witness reported that on that particular day, only one of the barriers was lowered, however the Northern barrier was not lowered, resulting in the free flow of vehicular traffic in front of the departing aircraft.

One dead, two injured in traffic mishap near St. Margaret’s village
A tragic traffic mishap near St. Margaret’s village between miles 31 and 32 on the Hummingbird Highway on Saturday night has claimed the life of a Belize City man and left two of his passengers injured. Police say that sometime after 9:00 p.m., Saturday, Glen Bert Reneau, 36, was driving a grey Honda Accord car from Belmopan towards Dangriga when he lost control of the vehicle and slammed into a narrow bridge. Police say that when they responded to the scene, they found Reneau’s extensively-damaged car in the creek below the bridge. Reneau suffered severe head and body injuries and was rushed to the Western Regional Hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Foreign Affairs Minister meets with Belizeans and friends of Belize in Los Angeles
Wilfred Elrington, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Home Affairs made a brief stop in Los Angeles this weekend where he met with the Consul General, Roland Yorke who organized a session with Belizeans living in Los Angeles and friends of Belize. According to a release from GOB Press Office, Elrington briefed the gathering on recent developments in the country including economic developments and Belize […]

Guatemalan military and media stroll into Belize; no report from Belizean authorities
According to reports, on Friday, four military personnel and a media crew from Guatemala were filming in Belize. There are several reports of how the incident unfolded. […]

Happy Garifuna Settlement Day!
Today is celebrated in Belize as Garifuna Settlement Day. The National Garifuna Council began the month with the Annual Garifuna Solidarity Mass on November 4, 2017 and activities highlighting Garifuna culture continued throughout November leading up to today. […]

Canadian National in critical condition after boat collision
On Friday night around 9:50, police visited the Caye Caulker Polyclinic where they observed Guy Cooter Smith ,61, a Canadian national in an unconscious state suffering from a small cut wound to his right elbow. […]

Decomposed body ‘of British National’ found in Ladyville
On Friday ,November, 17, 2017, about 10:55 a.m, acting upon information received, Ladyville Police visited apartment #6 located on Perez Road where they observed the motionless body of a female in an advance state of decomposition. […]

Blogs

A Tribute to Belize Outhouses on World Toilet Day
It’s World Toilet Day (November 19) and it got me thinking that pretty soon I would be experiencing more potty breaks at very interesting places and destinations around the country once iTravel Belize gets trekking with it’s new camper van. (Adventures and updates on that soon). When you gotta go, you gotta go! Be it in a luxurious gold-plated toilet or a hole in the ground; Mother Nature calls at the most unexpected places. And it’s Mother Nature that we want to experience the most during our travels around the county. Potty breaks are just a part of what make a journey memorable, especially when it’s at an exotic location. It might be fun, exciting, terrifying or utterly disgusting. LOL!

International Sourcesizz

Benefit Auction For LRUHS Students Trip To Belize
Students at Lake Region Union High School in Orleans are planning a trip to Belize to study the coral reef and learn from Mayan villagers. An auction is planned for Dec. 9 at the school to raise funds for the trip. The event begins at 10 a.m., with previewing of items at 9. Several items will be auctioned off, including a Boston Red Sox Craig Kimbrel autographed ball, a Stowe Gondola ride for 4 with lunch at The Cliff House and a Smuggler’s Notch Bash Badge. Auction services will be donated by Degre Auctions. For more information, call (802) 754-6522.

Videos

• Yurumein morning on San Pedro La Isla Bonita, 3min. The re-enactment of the arrival of the Garifuna people to the shores of Belize! Happy Garifuna Settlement Day!

• Yurumein re-enactment, 90min.

• Belize honeymoon, 2.5min.

• Raggamuffin Sailing Trip Belize 2017, 3.5min. Three day sailing trip through the Caribbean in Belize with Raggamuffin tours. After meeting Tim and Nic on Caye Caulker we set sail on June 13th 2017. The crew consisted of Captain Chris, Shane Hulk Rashy and Chef Larry. After snorkelling and fishing the day away we spent a night on beautiful Rendezvous Caye. We were the only inhabitants on the island apart from the small crew of tradies and lady that swept the sand between visits so it looked untouched. Tim managed to spear clown fish that are protected with the spear gun. The next day we did more of the same with Tim catching a massive Barracuda and the crew spearing many smaller fish. That night we spent on Ragga Caye in a cabana. Again we were the only inhabitants and Chef Larry cooked us a mean feed. Our last morning Tim and I took the Kayaks out for a paddle around the knee deep water and we visited Bird Island and another crystal clear snorkelling spot.

• Belize Nov 2015 Shark Ray Ally, 11min. Shark Ray Alley Hol Chan Marine Reserve near Ambergris Cay Belize, Nov 2015.

• Premiere League of Belize: San Pedro Pirates FC vs Belmopan Bandits SC, 2.5hr.

• Maimouna Youssef and Friends empowering Hopkins Village!, 13min. Happy Garifuna Settlement Day!