Print Thread
Today's Belize News: November 24, 2017 #527262
11/24/17 07:01 AM
11/24/17 07:01 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Iris Salguero returns from Miss Earth 2017
San Pedro’s very own Iris Salguero returned to the island on Tuesday, November 21st after participating in the Miss Earth 2017 pageant in Manila, Philippines. Salguero represented Belize, and while she did not take the crown, she made the country proud by placing in the top 16 ‘Articulate and Intelligence’ segment. Belize’s beauty ambassador arrived in San Pedro Town via Tropic Air shortly after 2PM, where supporters and fans gathered at the waiting area of the terminal to welcome her. An emotional Salguero greeted everyone, stating that she had an amazing experience – one which she will never forget. Salguero told The San Pedro Sun that during the days prior to the pageant’s main event on November 4th, she and all the other participants from around the world took part in many activities. “We engaged in reforestation projects, beach clean-ups, school tours, educational and cultural presentations, and visiting protected areas,” said Salguero.

DOE issues stop order for over-the-water structure on Boca del Rio Drive
The Department of the Environment (DOE) has temporarily shut down construction of an over-the-water structure in the Boca del Rio area as of Friday, November 17th. According to DOE, the proprietors did not obtain an Environmental Clearance permit prior to starting the construction. As such, they must apply for one in order to resume work. DOE representatives indicated that they were not aware of the project until they were on the island conducting environmental inspections. After noticing the shell of the over-the-water structure, they proceeded to inspect it. They immediately found that it had not been granted the appropriate permissions from DOE. As such, the persons responsible for the construction were ordered to stand by until an Environmental Clearance was granted. DOE indicated that the project seemed to have consent from the local authorities, and perhaps other entities such as the Central Building Authority (CBA). However, by law, any over-the-water-building needs environmental clearance as well.

Copa San Pedro 2017 quarter-finals begin
Copa San Pedro quarter-finals kicked-off this weekend at the Ambergris Stadium in San Pedro Town, with the first two matches played on Friday, November 17th. At 7PM, Legends F.C took on G. Strikers, securing a slamming victory of 6-0. Sandy Point trumped Martha’s Ice 4-1, capping off the first round of quarter-final games. The Copa San Pedro 2017 quarter-finals continue this weekend. On Friday, November 24th, starting at 7PM, Jokers F.C will face United F.C, followed by Terror Squad facing off against Assassins F.C. On Saturday, November 25th at 7PM, Martha’s Ice takes on Sandy Point. That game will be followed by Legends F.C challenging G. Strikers. All football fans are invited to come show their support. Food and refreshments will be on sale.

2017 Children’s Week comes to an end with a grand parade
On Friday, November 17th, island schools joined educational institutions across the country of Belize to celebrate the culmination of Children’s Week 2017. This year’s celebration was held from November 13th through to the 17th, under the theme: “Children of Today; Our Keepers of Tomorrow”. Throughout the week, educational institutions across the country organized several activities for the children such as sports day, crazy day, arts and craft day, among other events. The national celebration recognizes the talents, skills, achievements, and rights of young people to enjoy childhood. Thousands of children and their families took part in the event through the participation of schools, kindergartens, cultural groups, youth departments and community groups.

Ambergris Today

Ambergris Caye: Spend Your Retirement Life In The Top Caribbean Relaxing Spot
Well, who doesn’t want to spend their retirement in the lap of nature while being away from the hustle-bustle of the world? But, not everyone knows about the best places where they can experience such a breathtaking ambiance!! Like, Have you heard of Ambergris Caye? I guess the answer won’t be a ‘Yes’ from the majority people, thanks to the fact that it is quite a secluded and small island in the Caribbean. But, this island with its stunning turquoise blue waters and the longest barrier reef in the Western hemisphere presents you with just the perfect place to spend your retired life in the most soothing way ever. And, when the companies like Travelogue is existing around you then to fly into such an exhilarating place is even not a tough task to do. Moreover, if you choose to live on Ambergris during your retired life then you could always expect to wake up each morning while hearing the mesmerizing sounds of the sea-waves lapping with love onto the white sand beaches outside your house. Won’t it be something worth living for?

Police Officers Accused Of Taking Nude Pictures Of Youth Cadets
According to news sources a pair of unnamed community officers are being accused of taking nude pictures of male cadets attached to the Placencia Youth Cadet Corp, while the parents of the cadets are not taking court action against the officers, their officers in command have taken disciplinary actions against the police officers. Their action are disturbing to say the least, as it is reported that not only did the officers forced the youth to take naked pictures but also charged them for using the restroom and drinking water. According to the head of the National Crimes Investigation Branch, Joseph Myvette, the two officers have since been placed on charged; one officer got five disciplinary charges and the other one had one single charge and both would be removed from the community policing unit.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Belize Signs Status of Forces Agreement with the Kingdom of Netherlands
Today, the Government of Belize and the Government of the Kingdom of the Netherlands signed a Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) concerning the Status of the Armed Forces of the Kingdom of the Netherlands while in Belize. Military Personnel from the Netherlands undergo Jungle Warfare Training with Belize’s and other international armed forces personnel in Belize. This Agreement sets out the legal framework within which personnel of the Netherlands will operate while in the country. The SOFA also constitutes the discipline and jurisdiction, privileges and immunities, communications facilities as well as the entry and exit requirements of personnel in Belize. It will serve to further strengthen the bilateral cooperation between the two countries which share thirty years of diplomatic ties.

Celebrating the biggest group represented at our 3rd annual Diabetes Run (promoting Diabetes Awareness)
On November 22, 2017 YWP- Wellness Ambassadors held a recognition ceremony for 50 future Young Diabetes Coaches from the Belmopan Comprehensive High School: they conquered 23 miles on the Hummingbird Highway on Saturday November 4th 2017 and deserved to receive recognition. All runners received medals and several received gift packages. The youngest male and female runner received cash prize.

Splashers
Hi!! Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Better late then never!!! Come paint “A Quiet Beach Stroll” with us tomorrow Crazy Canucks Beach Bar at 2pm-4pm. Please make sure to sign up on the website! We know the signup will lock out tonight at midnight so private message us at Paint N Splash if you want to come.

GOB's Controlled Pump Prices (Belize City)
Effective Date: 24th November 2017

The Christmas tree goes up in Central Park, San Pedro

Big Ferry (Pueblo Nuevo) will be closed until Sunday
The most recent report from the Ministry of Works now says the Big Ferry (Pueblo Nuevo) will be closed until Sunday, November 26th at 5:00 PM. All we can do is hope ... sad times for the people of the North. Please continue to share these posts, and if you know anybody in Media or Government, it's time for them to help us get noticed. This road is too busy, and so much economy of the North relies on workers passing, plus the future generations...currently struggling to get to school everyday need this route to be reliable. There is no need for us to complain any longer, its time to explain why they need to improve our daily route.

RUMBA LATINO 2.0
Back by popular demand! Yes, ladies and gentlemen, it's the Rotaract Club of Orange Walk's RUMBA LATINO 2.0??? It's all going down on Saturday November 25th, 2017 at D' Gym Sports Bar (previously Butchy's). Come and dance the night away to only the best Latin hits of all time! Prizes and giveaways throughout the event! WARNING️: uncontrollable body movement to the rhythm of latin beats. Wear comfortable dance shoes to Rumba all night long ??

CEMJC Crazy Day 2017
A lil late post but certainly worth the memories.

Postponed until further notice: Power outage scheduled for portion of Cayo District on Friday, November 24
from 5:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m.

Verdes FC Visit Octavia Waight
The Team Verdes visited the Octavia Waight Centre to spend some time with the older generation. Thanks, and go all the way this season! "Our Green Machine giving back to our elderly community."

Paradise Theater playing this weekend
American Made, American Assassin, The Little Vampire, Home Again.

BARROW Vs MUSA: Political Scions spar on Facebook
Today we saw a showdown of what might someday be the future Prime Ministers when two political scions, Kareem Musa and Shyne Barrow, squared off in what started with Shyne going for the jugular, Kareem hitting back and surprisingly the two ending the exchange by agreeing to the possibility of Barrow’s suggestion of a basketball tournament between Musa’s Caribbean shores team and Barrow’s Mesopotamia team with the teams playing on each other’s turf as a way to promote non violence on the south side in particular. Shyne suggested the match after he accused Kareem of “doing nothing for the people of Caribbean shores” and Musa responded by inviting Shyne to attend a tournament being held by Musa in Caribbean shores. Shyne said “to show we can disagree and not kill each other” would be the point of the two working together for this positive example. Kareem agreed and said “he was down for the positive movement”

Truck Stop 2-Year Anniversary Pool Party!
Sunday, November 26 at 2 PM - 9 PM. This Sunday, in honor of The Truck Stop's 2-year anniversary, we're going to be having our first pool party at the brand-new Truck Stop pool! DJ Debbie will be turning out the tunes poolside all afternoon, followed by live music on the front stage from Dennis C. Wolfe II and his band. And join us at 2pm for our weekly Cornhole Tournament! It's free to compete and the grand prize is a $100 bar tab. It's going to be an awesome Sunday Funday!

Channel 7

Will the "Nay's" Have It? Four UDP Reps Says they Would Vote Against 90 Million Dollar Judgement
Last night the news was all about that 90 million dollar judgement against the government for the Universal Health Services debt. But, tonight, the narrative has shifted, and that's because four ranking UDP Representatives say they will vote against paying all that money to the Belize Bank. To give you some background, the Caribbean Court of Justice granted permission for the Belize Bank Limited to enforce a 2013 arbitration award against the Government of Belize. The original award was for 36 million Belize dollars - but that was back in 2013, and since then interest of 17% has been running. The interest alone has now added up to another 50 plus million dollars, tot a total cost of 90.6 million dollars - for a hospital the government doesn't even own.

Hon. Saldivar Firm And Clear Cut: He Will Vote Against It
And while Finnegan is prepared to go to jail, Belmopan Representative John Saldivar is prepared to go right down to the wire. He says he cannot see himself voting for such a bill:.. Jules Vasquez, reporter "Would you support the government paying 90 million to the Belize Bank to settle this matter?" Hon. John Saldivar, UDP Belmopan: "First of all, Jules, let me state that I am disappointed in the decision of the CCJ and secondly, I certainly cannot, under any circumstance support passing a bill to pay moneys to Michael Ashcroft." Jules Vasquez: "However, that may be an emotional reaction, but - real talk- the Minister of Finance, the Prime Minister, is obligated to take it to the National Assembly and you have to support your Prime Minister. You can't- it is an existential crisis for the UDP if members of his own government- if he says 'yay' and they say 'nay'. That's like a vote of no confidence in the PM." Hon. John Saldivar: "Well, I think you're assuming that he will say 'yay'. What is clear from the decision is that the court has made it clear that the Ashcroft people cannot collect on this award unless it is passed by the parliament. And so it is clear also to me that the CCJ cannot direct or compel the parliament to pass a law. And so it is clear to me, also then, that the CCJ is saying that the parliament must decide if they will or will not pay this award."

Hon. Boots Says His Conscience Wouldn't Allow Him to Vote In Favor of $90M Payment
And while Saldivar was cut and dry, and very firm, Port Loyola Representative Anthony Boots Martinez was a little more animated. He says he is going to the grave with this one on his conscience if he votes "yes":... Hon. Anthony "Boots" Martinez: "Parliament will decide, and my vote is mine. My vote belongs to the people of Port Loyola, and I must vote my conscience. And if I tell you that I noh sleep good last night, I can't do nothing else but vote what is my conscience." Jules Vasquez, reporter: "But if the Prime Minister and the minister of finance brings a motion like that to the house to make certain payments out of the consolidated revenue fund, the government side has to support him. Never in history has he not - has the Prime Minister, whoever it is..."

UDP Albert Rep Says She Is Against Fleecing, Would Vote Against
And the member for the Albert Division, Tracey Taegar - Panton says she joined the UDP to stand against corruption - and if she votes for this, it would be supporting what she calls the fleecing of public funds:... Hon. Tracy Taegar Panton, UDP Albert: "I feel very strongly about it, Jules. I think the only word I can use to describe it is criminal. It is no secret that I come from a family that supported the People's United Party, and one of the reasons I made a decision to run under a UDP umbrella was because of the fleecing of public finances under the PUP administration. So I am very clear on my view on this matter. It was an illegal act as far as I am concerned and there is no way that this administration should be made to pay for an act that I clearly believe was illegal and a fleecing of public funds."

DPM Faber Opposed Judgement, Lambastes Rt. Hon. Musa
Deputy Prime Minister Patrick Faber joins his UDP colleagues in rejecting the CCJ judgment. Today at another event Faber gave his view on this matter and at the same time, called out Former Prime Minister Said Musa for being at the root of this $90 million dollar problem. Hon. Patrick Faber, Deputy Prime Minister: "It is terribly disappointing, it continues to have us make the point that the horrors and the evils of last PUP administration continue to haunt us. Of course our position is that this is not something we should be paying at all, there are no benefits to the Belizean people and so it is an absolute nightmare for us that this is the outcome coming from the CCJ. We will now have to discuss what our position will be as a government. We did have preliminary discussions in cabinet on Tuesday but we did not know what the official outcome would have been so it is left to be seen what those discussion will yield. But if you want my personal view right off I don't think this a burden that the Belizean tax payers should be carrying at all and it is going to deprive us of monies that we could be doing a whole lot more things with."

AG Peyrefitte Stands With The PM
So, while the Deputy Prime Minister was more circumspect about what will come out of Parliament, Attorney General Michael Peyrefitte says that he will support the decision of the Prime Minister. As an un-elected Senator he can't do much about a money bill, but Peyrefitte made it clear that his gut reaction is an emphatic "no" to paying that 90+ million dollar award: Hon. Mike Peyrefitte, Attorney General: "The CCJ made it very clear that that money has to be made available by parliament. So we don't know what will happen. The minister of finance, in my view - and we are still making sure that we get all legal advice so that we are on the right page, on the same page with everybody. But in my view, the Prime Minister as the minister of finance should not pay that 90 million until it has been budgeted for and the only way it can be budgeted for is if the matter is taken to parliament and parliament votes for it to be budgeted for."

The Best & Brightest That Belize Has
Almost 400 students from all over country traveled to the Sacred Heart College Auditorium in San Ignacio for the 23rd CXC National Awards today. Now like the PSE, it is important to highlight those outstanding performers because it certainly took a lot of preparation and dedication to nail....let's say 16 CSEC exams with grade one's and two's or 9 CAPE units with all grade one's. That's pretty stellar and it's just what these students did. We were at the awards ceremony and the Chairperson for the CXC National Committee of Belize Brenda Armstrong told us how important these achievements are in a student's academic life. We also spoke to the proud awardees and their parents.

Scholarships For The Best
Now although taking all these exams can be a grueling task, it comes with great reward. Minister of Education Patrick Faber outlined the scholarship opportunities and grants that are given to top CSEC and CAPE achievers. Hon. Patrick Faber, Minister of Education/Deputy Prime Minister: "We increased the award for the Belize Open Scholarship which goes to the Top CAPE performer. That award used to be for $80,000 dollars." "That money is a very small contribution if you compare it to what we pay for professional and technical scholarships for example, it is a very small contribution to their education so we increased it and so for the last few years it has been $200,000 so that top performer today received that scholarship for $200,000 and the top CSEC performer as well as the second place also at the CAPE level will receive scholarships courtesy of the Government of Belize."

Works CEO Says Blame Drivers For Accidents, Not A Bad Bridge
The Ministry of Works CEO says "Don't blame it on the Bridge." As we have reported there were 3 accidents near the St. Margret's Bridge on the 19th weekend causing 4 fatalities. Harold Smith, Keith Frazer and their friend Marlon Flowers died in one accident on their way to Burrell Boom on Sunday afternoon while Glenn Reneau was killed in an accident on his way to Dangriga on Saturday night. Now the families all agree that the bad conditions of the bridge caused these accidents but CEO Gentle has a different perspective. Errol Gentle, CEO, Ministry of Works: "We need to be very careful as drivers because we continue to upgrade the highway and every time we upgrade the highway, every single highway in this country that has been upgraded we have accidents and it is because of speeding or some driver error the thing is, to be very honest a road or a bridge don't cause accident it is the driver."

Cops Charge Cross Border Weed Smuggler
Today, the police held their bi-weekly press brief but seemed to have been stung by a recent release from the PUP United Women's Group. That release zeroed in on the slow-going investigation into an allegation by two women of rape at the Independence Police Station. And, second, the PUP criticized the cops for seeming to blame murder victim Michelle Anison's friendliness for contributing to her demise. So, today right off the bat - the Police Media Relations Unit told us there would be no comment on those pressing matters at today's press brief.

Anison Murder, Cops Have Lots Of Leads, No Arrests
And moving unto the case of British National Michelle Anison who was murdered in Ladyville sometime last week - like we said, the police didn't want to comment on it, but Superintendent Cowo seems to have sort of stumbled into a minor update. He says police had plenty of leads but no arrests yet. ASP Alejandro Cowo, O.C., C.I.B., Belize City: "The Michelle Anison is still under investigation. We are following several leads that we are dealing with at this moment. The police is still following leads that we are getting and we are getting good leads and we are following up on that."

Cops Says They Have Been Actively Assisting In Search for 83 Year Old
And the police also bristled at the suggestion that they have not been doing enough to find missing 83 year old Hubert Richards. The Sandhill resident has been missing for a week now. Last night the family told 7News that they had not been getting assistance from police in their search. Well, Superintendent Cowo said that it is the family who failed to make a missing persons report until yesterday - but even without that police have been doing searches since the 17th - when the missing case was first reported on social media:... ASP Alejandro Cowo, O.C., C.I.B., Belize City: "We are aware that this information has been on social media from the date that he disappeared which was the 16th, Thursday last week. However, an official report was made to the police until yesterday at the Ladyville Police Station. But before we have received the report we have been following it up from other leads that we have been getting and we are assisting the family as much as we can at this moment."

Charges For Injured Man After Accident
He's an accident victim in his own right, but also the man alleged to have caused the deaths of Mark Leslie and Myrna Vasquez. Two weeks ago, Leslie and Vasquez were in a Toyota Corolla which collided with a GMC Yukon driven by Delmar Ortega who was overtaking a tractor hauling oranges. Well Ortega has been in the Hospital since, and just after he got out - even though he could hardly walk, he was taken too out today and charged. Police told us for what:... ASP Alejandro Cowo, O.C., C.I.B., Belize City: "We were told that he will be in Dangriga this morning along with his attorney. The charges are two counts of manslaughter, 2 counts of negligent harm and 1 of driving without due care and attention."

Pinks Alley Fire Not Conclusively Arson
Police also commented on the small fire in a Pink's Alley apartment which occurred on Tuesday afternoon. The homeowner claims arson, but police say that they're not so sure:... ASP Alejandro Cowo, O.C., C.I.B., Belize City: "It was just a minor sofa and a table that were damaged, in reference to that arson. We cannot say it's an arson yet because the fire department is still investigating. It is almost completed, but they have mentioned to us that it could have possibly been an electrical problem, not any arson. You have to understand that arson is when somebody actually lights up a building and when it comes to a house fire, there are many causes for a house fire which have to be determined by the fire department."

All Things Marijuana Considered At CARICOM Forum
In Tuesday's news, we told you how the Attorney General's Ministry was teaming up with the CARICOM Commission on Marijuana to have a conversation on whether that drug should be legalised. The Commission intends to visit all the Caribbean states, sample the opinions of the citizens and produce a report which reflects the CARICOM groupthink about marijuana its treatment under the law. That report will then be handed over to the CARICOM Heads of Government for their consideration. The Commission was at the Biltmore Plaza Hotel today for an all-day consultation with as broad a cross section of the population as they could reach. It was well attended, and 7News was there to see how it went. Here's what the Chair of the Commission, and the participants had to say about the hours of conversation about the herb:

16 Days Of Activism, Where Are The Men?
The National Women's Commission, today launched the 2017 version of 16-Days of activism against Gender-Based Violence, especially violence against women. They had a lengthy and emotional ceremony at the Radisson today where we picked out the women at the front and center of the campaign to ask them, where are the men?: Ann-Marie Williams: "16 Days of Activism is an international observance and so it's not only Belize, but Belize joining the rest of the world and we have to continue to do it as long as men continue to violate women and girls. If there were no violations, we don't have to do it, because these 16 days ramp up the activities that we've been doing all year round." Kim Simplis-Barrow: "For us this is symbolic. it's a time to really focus and look at it in a way that we try to bring people together to give their testimonies and so forth."

Celebrating Energy Efficiency
This is Energy month all across the Caribbean and lead agencies in different countries are spearheading activities to promote efficient energy. In Belize, today was an energy awareness fair. Different companies came out to showcase energy-efficient products. 7 news was there and spoke to a few of the companies. The Ministry of Energy, and Public Utilities has been in charge of the energy week and the energy awareness fair is one of many things they have done throughout the week to promote energy efficiency.

Dance X Excites
The Dance X 2017 festival starts tonight where dancers in all styles from all over the country display their talent, their flair and their form at venues in Belize City, Orange Walk, Dangriga and San Ignacio. This year's festival has a special guest from Mexico that has come to perform her dance called "masterpiece". She told us about what people can expect from her unique performance. Robinson's performance should be on stage right now at the Bliss Center in Belize City.

SDG Goals And Realities
Earlier this month we told you about the 2017 Global Youth Conference held in Belize. The main objective was to discuss the sustainable development goals from a youth perspective. Well today, government agencies and civil society partners presented the work they have done on those same Goals. They held a knowledge fair at the Belmopan Civic Center and we dropped by. The plan spans 15 years.

Channel 5

Deputy Has P.M.’s Back as Discussion Begins on U.H.S. Payment
Deputy Prime Minister Patrick Faber minced no words earlier today when he openly spoke out against the decision by the Caribbean Court of Justice on Wednesday.  The CCJ has ordered [...]

Faber Cries Shame on Ex-P.M. Musa
As you heard in the news on Wednesday, former Prime Minister Said Musa said that the matter could have been settled during his term in office and that government had [...]

National Assembly Has Tough Decision to Make
But with all that said and done – the CCJ judgment still stands and G.O.B. must now cough up ninety million Belize dollars. And where will this money come from? [...]

CARICOM and Belizeans Ponder Marijuana
The debate about recreational usage of marijuana continues, even after the decriminalization of possession of ten grams or less of the drug took effect earlier this month. While there is [...]

A.G. Says New Law Didn’t End the World
Closer to home, how have things been going since marijuana decriminalization went into effect on November first? Very well, according to Attorney General Michael Peyrefitte, who told us that the [...]

1 Small Step for Weed – 1 Giant Leap to Cultivation?
A persistent question being asked is, if the law can ease up on users of marijuana, what happens to those who plant fields and cultivate and sell “weed” for recreational [...]

This Isn’t 10 Grams! O.W. Cabbie Busted in Corozal
While legislators were busy discussing the decriminalization and the reclassification of marijuana from a regional perspective, local law enforcement was proceeding with drug trafficking charges against a cab driver in [...]

Robbers Strike it Rich with Escuela Mexico’s Dinero
Was the theft of a substantial amount of monies from the principal and bursar of Escuela Secundaria Tecnica Mexico the result of a well-orchestrated heist or did their assailant benefit [...]

Pinks Alley House Burns; Was It Arson?
A small house fire in Pinks Alley on Tuesday afternoon destroyed the contents of a cement structure belonging to Lorna Wade.  According to twenty-three-year-old Dawn Higinio, she was asleep inside [...]

Who Set Fire in Abandoned Van?
Around twelve-thirty this afternoon, a large plume of smoke rose above the Haulover Creek in the vicinity of Belize Water Services Limited. An abandoned van in close proximity to a [...]

Search Continues for Hubert Richards, 83; Seen in Los Lagos & Orange Walk
Eighty-three-year-old Hubert Richards remains missing tonight, despite all efforts being expended by his loved ones in trying to locate him alive.  The elderly man is said to be suffering from [...]

C.E.O. Errol Gentle Says Don’t Blame the Road or Bridge for Accident
Chief Executive Officer in the Ministry of Works, Errol Gentle, says that neither roads nor bridges are to be blamed for the fatal accidents that happened between miles thirty-one and [...]

Hummingbird Highway to be Rehabilitated
And as we reported on Wednesday night, Ministry of Works, Cisco Construction and the Belmopan Police are putting in some remedial work at the bridge in Saint Margaret Village. These [...]

SolGen Promises Training for Top Public Officers at Public Service Commission
Solicitor General Nigel Hawke was actually the second of two witnesses called on Wednesday by the Senate Special Select Committee. On Wednesday morning, the senators held a private, in-camera session [...]

What is Everybody Waiting for from Senate Committee?
We leave this week’s hearings with a reminder of just how important they have become in the eyes of some. One year ago this month, the six members of the [...]

Feel the Power: 16 Days of Activism Off to Enlightening Start
Over the next two weeks, a number of anti-violence presentations at schools, as well as health talks and an exhibition by the Women’s Department, will take place as part of [...]

CSEC, CAPE’s Best Honored in the West
The CXC national committee recognized the best and the brightest in the Caribbean Secondary Education Examination and Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examination for Belize. The high academic achievers from all across [...]

Harnessing Energy to Help the Community
Energy Week commenced this past Sunday, but today, a fair was held at the Biltmore Plaza to showcase the local energy sector and shift the focus on renewable energy sources. [...]

Channel Five’s Veranda Tales is Back!
Tonight, Channel Five is bringing back an old favorite. “Veranda Tales” was an original series in the 1990’s which employed familiar faces to read to primary school-aged children. It’s part [...]

Healthy Living: Be Good to Your Skin
As the end of the year draws near, cooler temperatures will start to set in and our version of the “Caribbean winter” will commence. While a break from the hot [...]

LOVE FM

Faber Reiterates GOB’s Disappointment in CCJ’s Ruling
On Wednesday the Government of Belize lost a case against the Belize Bank and was ordered by the Caribbean Court of Justice to pay the bank an arbitration award that was granted to the institution since 2013. The case dates back to 2004 when the Said Musa led government signed as guarantor for a loan […]

AG: “CCJ cannot compel GOB to take Money out of Consolidated Revenue Fund”
Today, the Attorney General Michael Peyrefitte commented on the CCJ’s judgment. Attorney General Michael Peyrefitte “The judgment is the judgment, the way we analyze it is what the CCJ said was that the Privy Council has already said that the loan note which was really a promissory note was a legal contract entered into by […]

National Consultation on Marijuana
On October 25, the Misuse of Drugs Act which decriminalizes ten grams or less of marijuana was passed by the Senate. The bill had a lot of opposition to it, nevertheless, it was passed into law.Today, a National Consultation facilitated by the Regional Commission on Marijuana was held at the Best Western Plus, Belize Biltmore […]

When will UNCAC be Implemented?
Last year on International Anti-Corruption Day, December 9, Belize signed onto the United Nation’s Convention Against Corruption (UNCAC) making it the one-hundred-eighty-fourth country to sign the convention. This came after several demands from civil society and a number of non-government organizations. In January, the government started to take steps toward the implementation of UNCAC, including […]

Works CEO comments on Traffic Accidents that claimed Four Lives
Last weekend, four persons died in two separate traffic incidents that happened at the bridge located between miles 31 and 32 on the Hummingbird Highway, in the vicinity of Saint Margaret’s Village. The incidents have stirred concern over the safety of the bridge, a one-lane crossing. Today, we spoke with the CEO in the Ministry […]

“Leave No One Behind; End Violence Against Women & Girls”
On Saturday countries around the world will commemorate International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women. The day marks the commencement of the 16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence Campaign. The theme this year is “Leave no one behind; end violence against women and girls”. It is a time when several organizations incite […]

UB pays Tribute to Fidel Castro
The University of Belize teamed up with the Cuban Embassy for a tribute to Fidel Castro to mark the first anniversary of his death. Correspondent Fem Cruz has the story. Fem Cruz “An official ceremony was held today at the Jaguar auditorium in Belmopan to celebrate the first anniversary of the passing of the first […]

Abandoned Van goes up in Flames
An abandoned van went up in flames at around midday today in Belize City. Residents of Consuelo Street in the Lake Independence area, say that they heard a loud bang and upon making checks they saw the van on fire. Firefighters quickly managed to take control of the blaze, preventing it from spreading. A resident […]

Marijuana Bust in San Andres Village
Yesterday morning a routine customs operation resulted in the discovery of twenty pounds of marijuana. The bust was made in San Andres Village. ASP Alejandro Cowo shared more details. ASP Alejandro Cowo “Sometime after seven in the morning, the police responded to assist a custom personnel in the San Andres Village, Corozal District. Whereupon arrival […]

Police investigate Fire in Pinks Alley
Yesterday we reported on a house fire that damaged a portion of the apartment that Dawn Hijinio and her family were staying in. The fire broke out on Tuesday afternoon while Hijinio and her two children were asleep. Initially, the fire was believed to be a case of arson, but this morning ASP Alejandro Cowo […]

Corozal Robbery: Opportunistic Crime
Police are looking for two men in connection with an armed robbery that occurred in the Corozal District. As we reported yesterday, the Finance Assistant of Escuela Secundaria Tecnica Mexico, William Mendoza, and principal, Carlos Castillo was on their way to Corozal Town to deposit monies in a bank account. On their way the car […]

“Re-Thinking Energy: Shaping a Resilient Community”
Belize is celebrating Energy Week under the theme “Re-Thinking Energy: Shaping a Resilient Community”. Mark Usher, Electrical Engineer at the Public Utilities Commission (PUC) told Love News that during Energy Week several events are held to create awareness of the use of energy.Usher described energy as being the “lifeblood” of the country. Today the Ministry […]

BAY to hold Arts Festival
The Belmopan Active Youths, BAY, will be hosting its third annual Arts Festival at the Belmopan Civic Center on Saturday, November 25. Co-Founder and Executive Director of BAY, Anna Banner Guy along with Coordinator of the Festival David Smith stopped by our studios to share why you should stop by. “The youths are very innovative […]

Re: Today's Belize News: November 24, 2017 [Re: Marty] #527263
11/24/17 07:02 AM
11/24/17 07:02 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP

The Guardian

CCJ says GOB to pay $90 Million for UHS… only if parliament approves!
The Caribbean Court of Justice has issued a judgment for the Government of Belize to pay an Arbitral Award which the Belize Bank had gotten against the Government back in 2013. In a release the CCJ says, “In the case of The Belize Bank Ltd. v The Attorney General of Belize, the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) today granted permission for the Belize Bank Limited to enforce a 2013 arbitration award against the Government of Belize. The arbitration award, made by a Tribunal of the London Court of International Arbitration, required the Government to pay the Bank the sum of BZ$36,895,509.46 together with interest at 17% and arbitration costs of £536,817.71. The CCJ’s ruling means that the award now has the same effect as if it had been a judgment given by the Supreme Court of Belize. In addition, the Court also granted the Bank its legal costs in the CCJ and Belize’s Court of Appeal and Supreme Court.”

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Agriculture survive plane crash
It caused a stir all over Belize on Friday, November 17, when news went out that a Tropic Air plane, carrying Acting Prime Minister, Hon. Patrick Faber and Agriculture Minister, Hon. Godwin Hulse, went down. Fortunately, the two Government leaders and the other 7 occupants on the plane survived a crash landing in the sea off the Placencia Peninsula. Deputy Prime Minister Patrick Faber told the press that he, Hulse and Christy Mastry, the General Manager of the Belize Infrastructure Limited, were all on the same flight heading to Punta Gorda Town. Their intention was to participate in the official opening ceremony of the new PG multi-purpose sporting complex. So, they left on a flight from Belize City, which makes stops in several different locations on the way to PG. DPM Faber recounted that the plane landed in Dangriga without incident, and the passengers were dropped off. They then took off and left for Placencia, where they landed, again without incident.

Deadly bridge at St. Margaret’s claims 4 lives
A triple fatality on the Hummingbird Highway has turned the Garifuna Settlement Day celebrations into tragedy for 2 families. The victims, 37 year-old Harold Albert Smith, 37 year-old Keith Alonzo Frazer, and 41 year-old Marlon Flowers, died after the car they were travelling in ran off a bridge and went into the creek below. This very same bridge had claimed a life less than 24 hours earlier. At around 2 p.m. on Sunday, November 19, 2017, Belmopan police were alerted to an accident which happened between miles 31 and 32 on the Hummingbird Highway. When they responded, they found a gold Toyota Camry Car at the bottom of the Saint Margaret’s Village bridge. The driver, Harold Smith, was found trapped inside the vehicle in the driver’s side. Unfortunately, there was nothing that the authorities could do after they rescued him from the vehicle. Smith had already passed away. His nephew and best friend, Keith Frazer, was found motionless on the ground nearby; the accident also killed him at the moment of impact or shortly afterwards. The final passenger in the vehicle, Marlon Flowers, had already been rushed to the Western Regional Hospital by the time police arrived on the scene. Unfortunately, he died on the way.

Deadly bridge claims life of Glen Reneau
Glen Bert Reneau, a 36 year-old Belize City resident, died in an accident, hours before the Garifuna Settlement Day celebrations. He was on his way to Dangriga, the “Culture Capital”, but he and his 2 passengers never made it because he ran off a narrow, one-lane bridge into a creek at the bottom and totaled his vehicle. At around 9:51 p.m. on Saturday, November 18, 2017, Belmopan police responded to reports of an accident at mile 31 and 32. On the scene, at the Saint Margaret Village Bridge, they found a grey Honda Accord car, which was submerged in the water, and which had extensive damages. Police have not specified if they found any of the occupants in the vehicle.

90 million more for Vampire Ashcroft thanks to the PUP
The Caribbean Court of Justice on Wednesday handed down a judgment that says that government should pay 90 million dollars to the Belize Bank for a loan which was resisted first by the people of Belize and then by the UDP government. Now the decision lies on the National Assembly to instruct that payment be made. Some readers will recall that when the Musa administration on Friday May 18, 2007 attempted to pass a bill which would have seen the PUP pay a 33 million dollar debt incurred by Universal Health Services Belmopan was literally torn up. Thousands of Belizeans literally resisted causing chaos in Belmopan. After the mass discontent the PUP secretly paid the debt, obtaining 10 million dollars that the Venezuelan Government had granted Belizeans for the construction of new homes for the needy and additionally 10 million dollars that was granted by the Taiwanese government for improvement of healthcare in Belize was used to pay the debt.

Statement of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on the Entry into Belize of Guatemalan Kaibil on November 17th, 2017
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has been notified by the Benque Viejo del Carmen Police Station that at about 10:45 a.m. on November 17th, 2017, four Guatemalan Military Kaibil personnel crossed into Belize along with three Guatemalan journalists. Belizean Police Officers, stationed in the vicinity of the border, approached the Kaibil who were at the “Welcome to Belize” sign, and informed them that they were in Belizean territory; the police requested that they leave immediately, which they did without incident.

BTIA Cayo Chapter meets
The Belize Tourism Industry Association BTIA Cayo Chapter held an important meeting on Tuesday night at the Cahal Pech Resort Conference Room in San Ignacio Town. For all those attending it was a learning experience to get a snap shot of what is currently affecting the tourism sector. First to present was Rudolf Orio, who said that there should be all efforts to “…protect tourism, the goose that lays the golden egg.” He invited members of the BTIA Chapter to work along with the bodies that are now in place to ensure public security such as the People’s Coalition, Neighborhood Watches and Volunteer Special Constables. Rudolf Orio also recommended to the group that a Tourism, Taxi and Village Watch also be formed to enhance security. (There is now one Business Watch in place for San Ignacio Town.)

Schools in Southern Belize Become a Part of a Food Security Program
As part of the “Mesoamerica Without Hunger” initiative, a project was implemented in schools in southern Belize to improve food and nutrition security as well as to encourage healthy eating habits for those communities, a project that extends across the region to include, Colombia, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Honduras, Panama, and the Dominican Republic, as well as other countries in Latin America and the Caribbean of which Belize is the first Caribbean country to sign. The program, which was introduced on April 2016, was officially launched on Thursday, November 17, 2017 at the Conference Room on the National Agriculture and Trade Show Grounds in Belmopan during a ceremony which featured representatives from the ministries of health and agriculture as well as the Mexican Ambassador to Belize. There, a Memorandum of Understanding was signed which will extend the project countrywide.

The Most Hated Man in the PUP
It seems like every time we turn around , there is another PUP QUARREL from inside the PUP to report on. Although the combatants may appear to change at times, there is one constant that remains the same. That constant is that whoever the combatants may be at the particular time, the genesis of the quarrel, stems around being in control of the PUP. Now once again we are seeing another such PUP quarrel playout on social media. In this latest PUP QUARREL the focus of the attack is Johnny. He is being attacked over his relationship with one Ambassador Stewart Leslie.

Mentorship program in Belmopan gathers strength
The guiding force of our youths towards their productive capacities have taken on a new dimension in the Nation’s Capital. The City of Belmopan now has ten newly trained mentors. These are people who decided that they will take the time to guide, teach, mold and build lasting relationships with youths in their community. Each newly trained community member will be given the opportunity to mentor one youth between the ages of 11 and 16. This is possible through efforts of the Belmopan Active Youths BAY, the Belmopan City Council and the Child Development Foundation.

New Registrar and Registrar General appointed
Trienia Marie Young, the 37-year-old former Head of the Police Prosecution Branch, has been sworn in as the new Registrar of the Supreme Court and the Registrar General of Belize. Thursday, November 16, 2017 was Young’s first day on the job after being sworn in on the previous day. Young succeeded former Registrar Velda Flowers. In her capacity, she will be overseeing the Supreme Court, Vital Statistics Department, BELIPO, and the Belize Companies Registry. Young is a former graduate of Saint Joseph Primary School and Pallotti High School. She began her career in law when she entered the UWI- Mona Campus in Jamaica in 2003 and graduated in 2006. She later entered the Norman Manley Law School in 2006 and graduated in 2008.

Promoting Agriculture in Toledo primary schools
On Friday November 17th, the Ministry of Education along with the Food and Agriculture Organization and AMEXCID the Mexican Agency for Cooperation and International Development cut the ribbons declaring open 4 structures 30 feet by 40 feet. The structures are located in four primary schools in the Toledo District, namely in Pueblo Viejo, Santa Elena, Santa Cruz, and San Antonio. They are part of a collaborative effort between the aforementioned organizations to promote gardens for vegetable production. The overall objective is to introduce agriculture and self-sustainability at the primary school level in the Toledo District. Under the program there will also be upgrading and or construction of new school kitchens.

Albert Valentine and Minor freed of murder charge against a taxi driver
On Friday, November 17, 2017 in the Belize City Supreme Court, Justice Denis S. Hanomansingh, who is presiding over matters in the Dangriga Supreme Court, handed down a ruling that set two persons free of murder. They are 24-year-old Albert Valentine and a 17-year-old minor. They were acquitted of the murder of taxi driver Antonio Rodriguez of Eldred Village, Punta Gorda. Rodriquez was stabbed multiple times to the body on December 15, 2015 in the Joe Taylor Creek area of Punta Gorda near a bridge at the entrance of PG. On the day of the murder, Valentine was heading to chop a yard on a bicycle when he met the minor and they allegedly decided to hire Rodriguez’s taxi with the motive to rob Rodriguez of his firearm.

Messenger charged with fake dealer’s license and driving unregistered vehicle
A messenger with Home Protector Insurance was arraigned on two charges, a criminal offense and a traffic offense, on Tuesday, November 21, 2017. He is 32-year-old Charles Requena of Fuller’s Lane in Belize City. Requena appeared before Senior Magistrate Aretha Ford to answer to two charges, one count of uttering upon a false document and one count of driving an unregistered motor vehicle. The allegations are that on Thursday, November 16, 2017, he uttered a Belize City Dealer’s License dated August 2017 knowing it to be forged. Further allegations are that on that same day, he drove a Lincoln Zephyr without it being registered.

Liberty Children’s Home volunteer killed in Ladyville
Ladyville police have detained several men for questioning in connection with the murder of 46 year-old Michelle Anison, a British national who was volunteering at the Liberty Children’s Home. She was found inside her Ladyville apartment with stab wounds to the neck and chest. At around 10:55 a.m. on Friday, November 17, police visited that apartment, located at #6 Perez Road, and inside they found her body, with the injuries inflicted on it. The cops searched her home and determined that her only missing property is her grey Nissan Rogue SUV. It was not parked outside the apartment’s parking lot, as it normally was. The last time that she was reportedly seen alive was on Monday morning, November 12, about 4 days before she was found dead inside her home. Police say that her body was in an advanced state of decomposition.

Mother and son in court on weed charges
A mother and her son were taken to court on Thursday, November 16, 2017 on a single charge of possession of a controlled drug for 29 grams of cannabis which was found wrapped in a polo shirt in their yard. They are 45-year old Stephanie Gotoy, a babysitter, and her son 27-year-old Adrian Gotoy both of Kings Park. The duo appeared before Senior Magistrate Aretha Ford in Court where Adrian wasted no time and pleaded guilty with an explanation to the charge while Stephanie pleaded not guilty. Adrian recanted his plea when he heard what the police said that it occurred during the house search.

12 year old raped in Ladyville
Police in Ladyville are investigating a case of unlawful carnal knowledge in Ladyville which occurred in July of last year. A 12-year-old Belizean student visited the Ladyville Police Station in the company of her mother and reported that sometime in the month of July, 2016, she visited the residence of a male neighbor in Ladyville to charge her mother’s cell phone and the male person had sexual intercourse with her. A medical examination was conducted on the minor where the doctor certified that she was carnally known. Police are investigating.

Alleged robbers on bail
Two persons, a 19-year-old and a 17-year-old minor, were before the court on Thursday, November 16, 2017. They were charged in connection to an attempted robbery of two men in Belize City and for allegedly causing a wound to one of them during a struggle. The 19-year-old has been identified as Degron Joseph, a student of King’s College. Joseph and his accomplice were arraigned before Senior Magistrate Aretha Ford on separate charges of robbery to which they both pleaded not guilty to. The allegations are that they committed the offense by use of force but not with a firearm upon two friends whilst on Orange Street in Belize City. The two victims, Oscar Itza and Dennis Eck, were both walking together on Orange Street between the hours of 7 and 8 p.m. when they were approached by the two male persons.

Verdes FC and Belmopan Bandits FC came up with big scores in Premier League playoffs
The Premier League of Belize 2017-2018 Opening Season semi-final round commenced last weekend with 2 games on the schedule. On Saturday 18th November, at the MCC Grounds, Verdes FC the number two team into the playoffs blasted the Belize Defence Force FC by the score of 7-1. Verdes FC cored first when Alcides Thomas scored the 1st of his 3 goals in the 15th minute of play to give his team a 1-0 lead. The Belize Defence Force FC was able to tie the score at 1-1 when Vallan Symms scored the equalising goal in the 30th minute of play via a penalty kick.

Sandhill Blue Hawks Leal’s Football Cup champions
The 2017 Leal’s Football Cup Tournament came to an end on Monday 20th November, with the third place and the championship game played in Sandhill Village. In the championship game, Sandhill Blue Hawks defeated Corozalito by the score of 3-0. The goals for the champions Sandhill Blue Hawks were scored by Travon Martinez, Charles Canton and Sergio Luna. Earlier in the day for the third place game, Ladyville FC defeated Lucky Strike by the score of 5-1. The goals for Ladyville FC were scored by Matthew Leal and Shawn Young (4), while the goal for Lucky Strike was scored by Fredrick Garbutt.

Football Federation of Belize to hold 11th Ordinary Congress
The Football Federation of Belize is pleased to inform the general public and the football world that it will be holding its 11th Ordinary Congress on Saturday 2nd December, 2017, at 10:00 am at the Ramada Belize City Princess on Newtown Barracks in Belize City. The high point of the 11th Ordinary Congress will be the elections of the President and Vice President of the Football Federation of Belize. The Football Federation of Belize Electoral Committee has reviewed the nominations and secondments submitted by the Football Federation of Belize General Secretary and the following persons have met the criteria as defined by the Football Federation of Belize Statues Article 32.4

National Elite Basketball League season to open January 18, 2018
The National Elite Basketball League (NEBL) will be tipping off its fifth consecutive season on Thursday, January 18, 2018, as the defending champions, Belmopan Bandits, will host the sub-champions San Pedro Tiger Sharks. The game will be played at the UB gymnasium in Belmopan, with tip-off time being 8:30 p.m. The upcoming season will have 8 teams. Six (6) of the teams from last season will return to participate in the upcoming season. These teams are Orange Walk Running Rebels, Belize Hurricanes, San Pedro Tiger Sharks, Belmopan Bandits, Cayo Western Ballaz and Dangriga Dream Ballers. Belize City No Limit has changed management and their new team name is Belize City Defenders. The eight team participating will be Agharta, which is a team from Chetumal, Mexico.

UB hosts Marketing and Small Business Expo
Marketing and Small Business students at the University of Belize took to the Princess Ramada Hotel and Casino King’s Room to display their creations on Wednesday, November 22, 2017. Items ranged from cosmetics, food and beverages, recycled materials, footwear, and several other innovative and useful materials. At the expo, there were over 20 groups and each group presented a different and unique approach to both new and existing ideas. One new idea was Backyardigan’s concept of recycling old tires and repurposing them. The tires are personally scavenged and decorated with paint and other embellishments to make comfy and beautiful chairs, center tables, and even coolers. The items start at $80 and go up to $170 for larger pieces. Lypp Magic was another group that presented a fairly new idea to the Belizean public. While lip scrubs are readily available outside of Belize, they are not as available here. Lypp Magic, a group of marketing students, used that available market to produce flavored lip scrubs to exfoliate, moisturize, and soften lips while removing dry and dead skin. There was a multitude of other creations that included wine, like Sugar Fix Wines, sweets, swimming products, and other creations.

Tourist dies suddenly at ATM cave
On November 16, 2017 about 1:00 p.m., police visited the Western Regional Hospital where they observed the lifeless body of Madhukar Jiggini, a 68-year-old doctor of California, USA. Initial investigations revealed that Jiggini was along with his wife and other tourists doing a river crossing at the ATM Cave in Teakettle Village, Cayo District when he began feeling weak and lost consciousness. He was immediately taken out of the river and transported to the Western Regional Hospital where he was pronounced dead. No signs of violence were observed on the body and no foul play is suspected. The body now awaits a postmortem examination.

Celebrating the 19th in Western Belize
The mood in Western Belize on the 19th of November was celebratory as members of the National Garifuna Council NGC, San Ignacio Branch, came out in full traditional dress to observe the Yurumein. At about 7:00 am on Saturday two boats with Garinagu landed on the calm bank of the Macal River to be greeted by other Garinagu and Cayo residents. Closely watching the ceremony was Cynhtia Ellis, President of the National Garifuna Council in San Ignacio, who is just back in Belize after visiting indigenous communities in the Caribbean and Americas. Ellis spoke to us about the significance of the Yurumein. “Yurumein is a re-enactment of the arrival of the Gariganu to Belize. Part of the history is that we were exiled because we would not succumb to colonial rule and we were given the choice to stay in St. Vincent or to leave.

MARITIME AREAS ACT “QUID PRO QUO’ FOR RECOGNITION
The AMAMDALA editorial of Friday, November 17, 2017 was a pleasant read because of some startling admissions: 1)“… revolutionaries leading the People’s United Party (PUP) were attracted by his [Arbenz] policies and saw Guatemala as an ally…” 2)”…PUP contact with Guatemala…” 3)”…sent Mr. Price home… because he had held talks with a Guatemalan official.” 4)”…the PUP Leader was trying to sell out the country “lock, stock and barrel.”” The above rank right up there with Smith’s:”…he [Price] had received financial assistance from Guatemala in the 1950s.” I say startling, because every PUP supporter had vehemently denied all of the above over and over and over – for years! PUP lied to cover-up dangerous national misdeeds! Guatemala has Pacific and Caribbean coastline, together longer than Belize’s! The south west limit of the Cayman Trough is at Guatemala’s toe – she has the best access to high seas!

Millennials and our Money
Youths today, are often referred to as millennials for having been born in or near the new millennium. One of the things we millennials have found and continue to find out is that life can get expensive; I am talking about the cost of simply staying alive. If you cannot relate then maybe you have not come into full independence just yet. As a young, independent millennial, I experience one of those “aha moment” every time I go to the store to purchase things that I formerly paid no attention to and took for granted; such as tooth paste and purified water. Growing up with my mom and dad, things like toiletries and drinking water were just always there. They were never things that I ever gave any thought to. Although they cost relatively little compared to most of my other expenditures, these are the things that remind me daily that I am officially an adult, responsible for financing my own existence.

Words of Life with Pastor Barry Fraser
Today we look at Roaring Lions. In the book of the Prophet Joel chapter 3, verse 16, we read, “The Lord God roars from Zion, and utters His voice from Jerusalem, and the heavens and the earth tremble. But the Lord is a refuge for His people, and a stronghold to the sons of Israel.”

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

83-year-old man still missing in Sand Hill, Belize District
Yesterday, Stanley Richards, 52, a Belizean laborer of Sand Hill Village, Belize District, reported that on Thursday, […]

Orange Walk taxi man arrested for drug trafficking
Yesterday morning around 7:25, police and custom officials conducted a check point in San Andres Village, […]

Belize signs status of forces agreement with Netherlands
Today, the Government of Belize and the Government of the Netherlands signed a Status of […]

The 88 million dollars bukut – Is Said Musa or Dean Barrow to blame?
By Hugh O’Brien: BUKUT NUMBER 1 – Former Prime Minister of Belize, Said Musa, guaranteed a Belize Bank loan for the Universal Health Services (UHS) owned by PUP cronies and ended up paying the Belize Bank $40 million for this private hospital in December 2007. Belizeans got nothing for this $40 million investment, not even the hospital or any of its equipment.

Blogs

Fun Caye Caulker Itinerary and It Can Happen at Home too - Belize Time
I shortlisted the Caye Caulker Itinerary to second place as it was born from the invisible forces that were pulling me onto Belize time that led me to write it so first comes my story about getting derailed in my own home. You may have read in previous blog posts about how the island is like Sesame Street and a simple trip to the store can have you instantly on delay and often catapulted into a new direction for any number of reasons. You might run into friends and decide to hit a beach bar or, you could get “paraded”. Island people love parades and there is nothing better to remind you why you came here than to get caught behind one. It forces you to slow down and appreciate life’s unexpected surprises and delays.

International Sourcesizz

US State Department awards additional funding for sustainable local organizations in Belize and Latin America
The US Department of State has awarded the World Environment Center (WEC) and its partner, Le Groupe-conseil baastel ltée (Baastel), additional funding to grow innovative, sustainable local organizations in Belize and Latin America. The current program, known as La Red de Innovacion and Impacto (La Red), established in 2014, is a collection of 30 such innovative solutions from 11 nations across the region. The La Red network conducts training and workshops to scale business solutions to sustainability challenges; assists enterprises to participate in internationally renowned acceleration programs; communicates best practices throughout the network; and monitors and evaluates progress. To date, more than 2,230 MSMEs in Latin America have benefited from the technical assistance funded through this project, and more than 1,800 individuals have been employed or promoted. Some 1,240 farmers have improved their operations as a result of the work conducted through La Red.

Howlers, hot sauce and Hopkins - discovering the secrets of Belize
It is 9 a.m. and a sweltering 38C as we slowly walk a dirt path beneath towering mahogany trees. Even though we’ll hear him before we see him our eyes are scanning the tree-tops for a howler monkey. Our guide Conway, leads with a growl, hoping for an response. The quiet of the forest is soon shattered with an answering bellow from a male, and we are now standing below six members of a howler monkey family. The youngest monkey swings down the tree branches as he stuffs leaves in his mouth, keeping an eyes on us as we happily snap photos. Thanks to the dedication of a local women’s co-operative to protect the monkeys, travellers are able to learn about the monkeys, locally called baboons. There are 4,000 primates living in the Community Baboon Sanctuary in this Belizean village of Bermudian Landing. I’m here on a 10-day group tour with National Geographic Journeys G Adventures tour which offers a circuitous route through this Central American country, from a Mayan site north of Belize City, west to San Ignacio on the Guatemala border to the south coast beach town of Hopkins and to the second largest barrier reef via the island of Caye Caulker, a combination of Mayan history, wildlife and indigenous culture.

How will Francis Ford Coppola divvy up his business among family?
“Have you heard of Italian Alzheimer’s?” Francis Ford Coppola asks, brown papa-bear eyes playful. “You forget everything – except the grudge.” The 78-year-old padrino is At Home. Not his main residence, the sprawling historic Inglenook wine estate in California’s upmarket Napa Valley. But his home away from home: Bernalda, an insignificant dot of a non-tourist town set in the middle of southern Italy, where his paternal grandfather Agostino was born. (His mother’s side came from Naples.) More specifically, Coppola is sitting in a small kiosk with rickety kerbside tables on the edge of the town’s pretty piazza, where espressos are served in coffee-stained cups and cost barely €1 ($1.50). The kiosk is set directly across the road from Coppola’s grand boutique hotel, Palazzo Margherita, where his daughter and award-winning director and scriptwriter, Sofia Coppola, wed acclaimed musician Thomas Mars, of Phoenix fame, in 2011: Hollywood royalty marrying a French indie pop star in a marble-floored palazzo built for local aristocrats.

Videos

• Bonefish in Belize, 1.5min. Tiny bonefish from the dock on a trout magnet. Ambergis Caye, Belize 2017

• Belize Honeymoon, 5min.

• Belize Maya Pax, 3min. Maya Pax is a kind of Music played by the people of Yucatec Maya Descent of Belize . Maya Pax is mostly played for days of celebration in the Yucatec Maya(Maya Mestizo) communities of Northern Belize . One of the most known Belizean Maya Pax bands was La Banda de San Jose who played for many years in different places . This video is from a Belizean Maya Pax playing in San Jose Nuevo Palmer (Orange Walk) .

• Very touching what this young boy has to say about the state of our society today!, 4min. As part of the ongoing Universal Children's Day activities, the Office of the Special Envoy will be posting videos of children interviewing accomplished and prominent persons in society. In the first video, Brian Guardado, a second form student of Nazarene High School sits down with Hon. Tracy Panton.

• Energy Management Limited and Green Sun Limited, 31min.

• Dance X 2017 is here! Redondo Ballet School - performance of "Mi Gente.", 22min.

• ATM Cave: Tailess scorpions!, 1min. The Mayans believed this cave in Belize was a portal to the underworld. Explorers still don’t know how deep it may go.

• Whale shark today in front of town, 1min. You never know what you will find swimming in front of San Pedro Ambergris Caye....A lone whale shark. One of two protected species of sharks in Belize - travels along the reef between feeding sites peppered throughout the Western Caribbean and the MesoAmerican Reef. During this time of year whale sharks are found feeding on sprat, often accompanying schools of bonito"

• Whale shark today in front of town 2, 1.5min.

• LIGHT BATHERS BELIZE NOVEMBER 2017, 1.5min. A Mountain Spirit Wellness Community Experience. Cultural Immersion, Garifuna Healing and Spirituality. PUNTA GORDA, TOLEDO, BELIZE

• Driving Pine Ridge, Caracol, Belize, Central America, 2.5min. Doing a little off-roading during our first trip to Belize, January of 2015. This was at the beginning of our travels together abroad.

• Revolutionary Travel Family Walking the Bush, El Pilar, Belize, 9.5min. The Revolutionary Travel Family exploring the area around our latest project, Hills & Valley eco-community.

• Belize Documentary, 20min.

• Snorkel the Belize Barrier Reef, and Outer Atolls with Island Expeditions, 1.5min. Snorkel the most spectacular locations on the Belize Barrier Reef and outer atolls (Glover's Reef and Lighthouse Reef).

• Walking in Caye Caulker, 72min. This is a complete overview of Caye Caulker island in Belize.. We walked along the small sand paths from the beginning of Caye Caulker Village to the Split.

• Links
    Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
    Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
    Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!

Things to do

News
    Daily News
    Daily Weather

Classified Ads
    BelizeNews.com
    San Pedro Sun
    Ambergris Today
    SP Town Council
    Channel 7
    Channel 5
    Amandala
    ReefTV
    Love FM
    The Reporter
    PLUS TV
    TV Newscasts
    Radio Stations

Click for our
    Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
    Event Calendar
    Specials & Events
    Things to Do
    SanPedroScoop
    iTravel Belize
    Paradise Theater
    Paradise Guy Event Calendar

Blogs
    San Pedro Scoop!
    Tia Chocolate
    Tacogirl
    My Beautiful Belize
    I-Travel Belize
    Belize Adventure
    Belize Hub
    Romantic Travel
    Bound for Belize
    Conch Creative
    As The Coconuts Drop
    More Blogs...
    Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
    White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
    Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
    We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
    Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
    Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
    Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
    November
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3
    4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    11 12 13 14 15 16 17
    18 19 20 21 22 23 24
    25 26 27 28 29 30
    Cayo Espanto
    Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
    More Links
    Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
    Mini Chat
    Who's Online Now
    0 registered members (), 291 guests, and 11 spiders.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Forum Statistics
    Forums44
    Topics67,900
    Posts472,083
    Members19,287
    Most Online1,262
    Jun 10th, 2007

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
    BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
    BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
    BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
    and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.