FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Letter to the Editor: The San Pedro Police Department
Good Morning, I wanted to praise San Pedro Police Department for arresting the thief that broke into two condos at Residences at Barrier Reef at night on Nov 25th and stole everything from laptop to wallet and cash to scuba dive equipment. The thief was arrested within hours from reporting of the incident to the police department. All the residents at Residences at Barrier Reef extend their thanks and appreciations to the San Pedro Police department for the job well done.

Wolfe’s Woofer: Disagreement
“What are you having today, Mr. Wolfe?” “Make it a Lighthouse beer.” When Gabby brought my drink to the bar he said, “I see you drink a lot of coffee but I don’t usually see you drink beer. Are you celebrating something?” “No. It’s just hot today,” I said. “Sometimes nothing hits the spot like a cold beer on a really hot day.” Raul came in and took a barstool next to mine and said, “Hey, Mr. Dennis. Gabby, let me have a rum and soda.” Gabby brought Raul’s drink and asked, “Where is Harry today?” “I don’t know.”

Letter to the Editor: Sandwich Boards
Dear Editor, One only has to take a walk along the beach in town for a short time to realize that the ban on sandwich boards on the beach is not being enforced. As a matter of fact, since the ban was put into effect, it appears that the sign problem is more prolific than ever. Is this really the image the town wants to project to our visitors? It’s time to clean up the beach Town Council. You enacted the ban, enforce it. Might be a good idea to place some trash barrels on the beach and around town while you’re at it.

Doctor Love: Referee Mom
Dear Doctor Love, I am the mother of two girls, age seven and thirteen. The older has disliked her younger sister from the day she was born and over the years it has gotten worse. Fights are more dramatic with tears, name-calling and rude remarks. I have tried separating them, making them be together, time-outs for bad behavior, rewarding for good behavior and nothing makes it any better. My oldest daughter will take any opportunity to argue with or say something mean to her little sister. The younger one says she does not care and has her own friends and hobbies but I cannot take them anywhere together and mealtime is a constant battle field. How can I get them to be friends? /s/ Referee Mom

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

BTIA Cayo Hold First Clean-Up Campaign
The Cayo BTIA, supporting their cause of sustainable tourism, held their first clean-up campaign last weekend, and, wow, they picked up a lot of trash between Cayo and Benque. Thanks to all the people that made this happen, including Chaa Creek, Black Rock Lodge, and Ka'ana! "A typical conversation with a Belizean about what they think makes Belize so great will eventually lead to the point being made that it’s Mother Nature’s best-kept secret and a haven for sustainable tourism. Further investigate why and you’ll hear about the historic Mayan Ruins, the miles of untouched jungle, the birds, the great barrier reef and practically every other highlight there is to know about Belize. In addition to all the talk of natural resources, we’re sure you’ve heard us speak of the commitment from Belizeans to be as green as can possibly be...

Bruk Dong Bram 2017
Mr. Peetaz Bruk Dong Bram is coming back to Cayo on Friday, December 15h, to celebrate the new SISE House of Culture's opening week. There will be many performances, including the World Culture Band.

Belize Cancer Society Christmas Luncheon
he BCS had their Christmas Luncheon for its patients at the lovely Aguada. Thanks, BCS! "This past Sunday, December 3rd, the Belize Cancer Society - San Ignacio Branch hosted a Christmas Luncheon for its patients at the The Aguada Hotel in Santa Elena Town. The beautifully decorated space was provided courtesy of The Aguada Hotel and the food, drinks and gifts for the patients were provided by the branch and branch members. It was a beautiful occasion to welcome the month of December and to share moments of laughter, gratitude and strength. The stories shared and the courage and beauty of the patients and survivors present reminded everyone that despite the daunting struggle cancer brings, the human spirit can rise to the challenge with faith, courage and love.

The 16Days of Activism against GBV campaign culminated today in Placencia with the End of the World marathon!
Who says you can’t? These people all believed in themselves and THEY DID! When anyone tells you that you are incapable of something, NEVER SETTLE. DARE TO BREAK FREE and go for what you want! Be unstoppable! Special thanks to Tipsy Tuna in Placencia for hosting this photo op!

Meet Ms. Dorla Bowman, an activist against #GenderBasedViolence in the Toledo District
Ms. Bowman is a social justice activist who has worked throughout Belize promoting, gender equality, economic development, and peace. She has been actively addressing the issue of the full participation of women in the development of Belize and GBV since 1981. In her pursuit to end discrimination against woman, she lobbied for the ratification of the Convention for the Elimination of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW), and the formulation of the first National Policy Statement on Women. Ms. Bowman was formerly the Public/Educator Trainer and Director of the Women’s Bureau (now known as the Women’s Department), President of the National Women’s Commission, the founding President of Women Against Violence, and co-founder of the Belize Women’s Political Caucus.

GBV resources in San Pedro
Women’s Department, Department of Human Services Telephone: (501) 227-7397 Women’s Department officer: Deann Buckley rdo.wd@humandev.gov.bz Women’s Department Officer: Lodawn Jones wdobze@humandev.gov.bz Domestic Violence Unit, San Pedro Police Station DFC area, San Pedro DVU: Arillee Young arilleyoung@yahoo.com

Punta Gorda GBV resources
Women’s Department, Department of Human Services #1 Pampana St., Punta Gorda Telephone: (501) 702-2021 Women’s Department officer: Lorine Johnson wdopg@humandev.gov.bz Domestic Violence Unit, Police Department Front St., Punta Gorda Telephone: (501) 722-2022 WPC: Alva McDonald puntagorda@police.net.bz

OCEANA Family Fun Day
Saturday, Dec. 16th, at the PG Central Park

The Reporter

Police identify murdered watchman
Belize City police have identified the Buca Shell gas station watchman who was killed early Saturday morning as 61-year-old Baltazar Sarmeinto. Sarmeinto, a Honduran national, was found dead around 2:00 on Saturday morning lying in a pool of his own blood at the gas station compound located at mile 1 1/2 on the Philip Goldson Highway. According to police, Sarmeinto was fatally shot once to the left side of his head by one of two intruders who entered the compound and made attempts to break into the convenience store. Police say the investigation continues.

Three men charged in two sexual assault cases
Three men have been charged for sexual assault in separate cases involving two minors. In the first instance, Set Guity, 21, a bus driver and his conductor, 27-year-old Jarel Haylock, both residents of Lord’s Bank village, were charged by Ladyville police for sexual assault. The men were detained after a female minor, along with her mother, reported to police that on December 6th, while on their bus, she was sexually assaulted by both men. In another instance, Alrick Augustine, 27, a Dangriga security guard was charged by police after a minor reported that on December 6th while she was at a store in Dangriga, she was sexually assaulted by Augustine.

Man found dead in San Ignacio
Israel Chuc, 34, was found dead at the entrance of Branch Mouth road in San Ignacio town early this morning by police in that jurisdiction. Authorities say that around 6:30 a.m., cops found Chuc lying on the right hand side of the road in a face down position with slight blood on his nose and what appeared to be a bloated throat. Chuc’s body was transported to the San Ignacio hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival at 9:00 a.m. by medics. Police are treating the incident as a death investigation since they do not suspect foul play, however the results of a post-mortem will determine the outcome of their investigation.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Police find weed on Prince Street
Today at 9.30 a.m. as a result of operation ACT, officers conducted searches in an abandoned lot located on Prince street in Belize City, which led to the discovery of a black plastic bag containing 164 grams of cannabis.

Fire at Michael Finnegan Market
Yesterday around 12:50 p.m., Belize city police visited the corner of Hicattee Street and West Collet Canal, where cops saw stall #6 of the Hyde building engulfed in flames. Alvin Oswald Coleman, 62, a businessman of the Hyde buildings was alerted of the fire and reported it.

Man found dead on roadside
Around 6:30 this morning, acting on information received, San Ignacio police visited Branch Mouth Road in San Ignacio Town where cops found the motionless body of a Hispanic man, lying face down on the right side of the road. The body was observed with slight blood on the nose and his throat appeared to have been bloated, according to police.

Marilyn Williams to swear in as Supreme Court Judge; Barrow says its legit
Former United Democratic Party Standard Bearer Marilyn Williams is to be sworn in as a Justice of the Supreme Court next year, a decision that Prime Minister Dean Barrow says he didn’t make. Barrow explained on Friday that Williams was selected through a democratic process, led by the Judicial and Legal Services Commission.

Guinea Grass teen missing
Irma Lopez, 31, of Guinea Grass Village, Orange Walk District reported that on Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at about 7:00 p.m., her daughter Briannie Bull ran away from home. Bull is 13 years old.

Belize City house completely destroyed by fire
According to police reports, yesterday around 12:30, police visited Allenby Street in Belize City where an upper flat of a two story wooden house was engulfed in flames. The structure measuring 40×24 feet was completely destroyed by fire.

Minor arrested in San Ignacio for drug trafficking
Yesterday morning, San Ignacio Police were conducting a pre dawn operation in San Ignacio and Santa Elena Towns and they busted a total of 2,761.3 grams of weed.

Police issues official report on murder of Honduran national
According to police reports, yesterday at 2 am, police officers found the lifeless body of a man on the compound of Buca Shell Gas station on the Philip Goldson Highway. The victim was identified as Baltazar Sarmiento, a Honduran watchman of Belize City.

Caye Caulker fisherman busted with crack
Yesterday, around 2:30 pm, Caye Caulker police were on patrol and they conducted a search on Walter August, 56, a fisherman of Caye Caulker Village, Belize District.

Blogs

Every Who Down in Who-Ville was at Ambergris Caye’s Truck Stop Last Night
San Pedro’s Truck Stop hit another one out of the park last night. The Holiday Craft fair, Christmas tree lighting and visit from Santa was jam packed with locals and visitors, kids and adults and quite a few dogs. They outdid themselves with decorations this year…lights and Santas everywhere. The stage looked PERFECT for holiday photos – not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse. My heart really DID grow three sizes when parents brought their tentative kids up to Santa Claus. The adoration (or terror) in their eyes… Reminds me of my favorite childhood photo – I never miss a chance to share it. Here are my photos from last night’s party. Such good times. And before you ask…YES! Everyone is wearing hoodies and flannels and scarves at the event. Belize is seeing her first cold front – and the wind was BLOWING from the NW. Temperatures dipped into the 60s last night and for islanders? That is FRIGID.

Oceana helds its Rock The Concert at Memorial Park Belize City
Rock the reef is an event that was held in Fort George Memorial Park in Belize City on Saturday December 9, 2017. It commenced at 2pm and concluded at 7pm. This was held to stop oil spilling in Belize and to send a message to the Government of Belize that we don't want black water. We want to protect our marine life that Belize has. Belizeans are sending a message to the government of Belize that we don't want our Marine Life dead. Oceana from around the country travelled to the Rock The Reef event that was held in Belize City. Oceana Press Release earlier this year: Belize made history today by introducing legislation to enshrine an indefinite moratorium on offshore oil in its marine territory, including territorial seas and Exclusive Economic Zone. Given Belize’s economic dependence on its natural resources, particularly on globally significant marine assets such as the second longest barrier reef in the world, the legislative move to safeguard these invaluable environments from the inherent dangers of offshore oil is fundamental to the country’s future.

International Sourcesizz

In pictures: Royal Society photo award winners
An aerial photo of an Antarctic ice sheet looking like giant sugar cubes has been revealed as the overall winner of this year's Royal Society Publishing Photography Competition. The science photography competition received more than 1,100 entries across its categories for Astronomy, Behaviour, Earth Science and Climatology, Ecology and Environmental Science, and Micro-imaging.

Belize Now Has its First Hilton Property
Mahogany Bay Resort and Beach Club, Curio Collection by Hilton – Hilton’s first property in Belize and – and one of the first global brands in Belize – is officially open. Sitting on 325,000 square feet in Ambergris Caye, the elegant resort features 205 cottage and villa-style rooms across a 60-acre waterfront site with 10 distinct dining outlets, bay and beach clubs, and meeting and event spaces. It will soon grow to 300 units. Accommodations range from garden cottage, garden cottage with loft, lower and upper keeping suites and family cottages.

Videos

• Love FM’s Annual Christmas Parade Part 1, 17min.

• Love FM’s Annual Christmas Parade Part 2, 32min.

• Love FM's Annual Christmas Parade in San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye, 4min.

• At the Potters House, 2min. At the potters house was Filmed on location in San Ignacio Belize.

• Nurse Shark at Silk Caye, Belize, 2min. We saw this nurse shark swimming by with her remora friend while scuba diving in Belize. There were a few nurse sharks on this dive and they appeared curious, maybe hopeful for a handout?

• Cessna 208B Landing in Belize City, Belize, 3min. Landing of a Tropic Air flight from Placencia to Belize City, Belize with some footage of the plane on the tarmac.

• Termite path, Nasusitermes sp, Belize, 2min. These are the same termites from the previous Belize video which I believe are Nasutitermes sp. They form tunnels which lead from their nests to their foraging sites in order to protect them from predators (ants, mammals, etc.). Here, I broke off a piece of their tunnel in order to see the termites walking by. Guards have already lined up to protect the damaged area of the tunnel. You can see the different casts of insect walking by. This damaged area will be repaired within the hour.

• Cessna 208B Taking off from Placencia, Belize with short landing strip, 2min. Take off of a Tropic Air flight from Placencia to Belize City, Belize. You can appreciate the short landing strip which ends just before the sea. If you look carefully at about 00:36, you can see a road which just skirts the end of the runway. Three weeks prior to this video, one of these planes clipped a car traveling on this road and was forced to make an emergency landing in the water.

• Large Female Iguana, Belize City, 1/2min. We found this female Iguana eating a banana just outside of Belize City. It is mating season for the iguanas and they could be found throughout the country walking about. I approach this one and we all end up flinching. I was hoping to wipe the rest of the banana off of her mouth.

• Almost Got Bit!, 13min. We are in Belize!! We have spent the week diving with some incredible wildlife - including manatees, sharks and stingrays!! What a way to celebrate visiting our 50th country!! Thanks again for all your support you guys!! We wouldn't have made it here without all of you :) thank you!

• Scuba Diving with Sharks in Belize, 10min. This is scuba diving footage from two dives I went on in San Pedro, Belize on November 22, 2017 where we swam with sharks (camera date is incorrect). This was my first time filming underwater and using a action camera, so I hope you like it! The dives were spectacular and super fun to do with family. :)

• Belize 2017, 33min. Our holiday in Belize 03/2017 In this video : Belize Zoo, Gales Point (& Kajak on the inside lagoon), Bocawina rainforest (& Ziplining), Cave Tubing, San Ignacio (& Iguana project), Barton Creek Caves, Xunantunich, Cahal Pech, Caracol, Rio Frio Cave, Rio On Pools, Lamanai, Crooked Tree Wild Reserve, Bermudian Landing.

• Make Cities and Communities SAFE for WOMEN and GIRLS!, 1min. As we are at the end of the 16 Days of Activism against Gender Based Violence Campaign, please check out this video, created by Keisha Rodriguez, participant of the One Minute Video Academy workshop hosted by the Embassy!

• Gender Based Violence affects men as well. It affects everybody, 1min. Check out this powerful video created by Andrew Munnings -- one of the participants of the One Minute Video Academy workshop hosted by the Embassy!