FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

GOB signs Memorandum for International Airport on Ambergris Caye
The first step to the building of a full-service international airport on northern Ambergris Caye took place with the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on Tuesday, December 12th in the city of Belmopan. The MOU was signed between the Government of Belize and International Airport Alliance Belize Limited who seek to develop and manage the international airport to be called the Efrain Guerrero International Airport. The MOU is set for 12 months before any construction works begin on an ambitious project that is expected to cost over $100 million US dollars. During that time the team will be finalizing logistics in terms of land, finances and environmental assessments. The proposed project plans to employ approximately 181 Belizeans during its operational phase. The magnitude of the airport, which will include a terminal building, runway, taxiway, apron and other ancillary facilities is expected to significantly increase tourist arrivals to Belize, particularly Ambergris Caye. The plan is to make it a state of the art facility that will not just accommodate private charters but commercial airlines such as United and American Airlines, including European carriers as well.

PUP municipal slate meets with San Pedro’s Taxi Associations
In an effort to reach out to the island community and find out the troubles affecting them, the San Pedro People’s United Party (PUP) municipal slate met with some of the Taxi Associations on the island on Wednesday, December 6th. The meeting was held at the Sunbreeze Hotel where PUP Mayoral candidate Andre Perez and his team discussed some of the issues the taxi operators are experiencing on Ambergris Caye. During the gathering, Perez on behalf of his team (Ian Pou, Ruben Navidad, Undina Graniel, Dianelie Aranda, Johnia Duarte, and Marina Kay) committed to addressing the many challenges the taxi drivers experience on a daily basis on the island. “You are very important for our tourism industry,” said Perez. “You are the first persons most of the visitors to the island see upon their arrival, thus, it is very important to work along with you all.” Perez stressed on the road conditions in San Pedro Town and reiterated that if elected as the next Mayor of San Pedro, fixing all the streets will be a top priority.

Dawson’s Pit Fighters host a self-defense seminar for children
Dawson’s Pit Fighters held a self-defense seminar for children on Thursday, December 7th, at the Central Park in San Pedro Town. The self-defense seminar focused on Limalama and Brazilian Jujitsu and was facilitated by Dawson’s Pit Fighters founder Martin Dawson and Limalama instructor, Marian Navarro along with the assistance of Gerardo Chable from Chetumal, Quintana Roo, Mexico. The seminar began at 5:30Pm, with some warm-ups and stretching’s such as jumping, sit-ups, and crunches. Thereafter, the instructors went on to show the participants how to defend themselves in various ways if they are caught in any one of the situations. The seminar continued with the children trying out the different techniques with the assistance of the instructors.

Love FM Christmas Parade Fills the Streets of San Pedro with Holiday Happiness
Love FM held its annual Christmas Parade in San Pedro Town on Sunday, December 10th. The parade filled the main streets of San Pedro with colorful floats, amazing dance numbers, entertainment, and music. The parade started shortly after 7PM, from the Boca del Rio Area heading to Central Park. Many islanders gathered along the street sides of the parade route to get a good view. Leading the parade was the San Pedro Town Council and staff, along with Miss San Pedro Virginia Vasquez and Area Representative and Minister of Tourism and Civil Aviation Honourable Manuel Heredia Jr. happily giving out sweets to the spectators

ABC Preschool Christmas Extravaganza Entertains the Children of San Pedro
On Saturday, December 9th ABC Preschool hosted their eighth annual Christmas Show at the Angel Nuñez Auditorium. The extravaganza brought much joy and laughter to island children as members of the popular Mexican group ‘Star Shows,’ imitated some of today’s favorite animated characters. The performances included characters such as PJ Masks, Moana, Rudolph and Frosty the Snowman, Santa Claus and of course Disney’s Mickey Mouse Club House! The show started at 7:30PM with members of Stars Show greeting the children gathered in front of the stage with fun balloons. The performers encouraged the audience to join them singing and dancing to their musical presentations while some of the children were invited to meet their favorite characters on stage. During each segment of the show, children were treated with gifts by the performers.

Ambergris Today

San Pedro First Boutique Bed And Breakfast Holds Special Preview
It had been under construction for some time now and everyone passing by kept wondering what was behind those giant walls. This past weekend Ambergris Today and invited guests were invited to a special pre-opening preview of what is behind those walls. It’s an oasis along the busy streets of Coconut Drive - Diamond Lodge is the island’s first Boutique Lifestyle Bed & Breakfast located on island of Ambergris Caye in Belize. Situated just moments away from the hustle and bustle of San Pedro Town and the beautiful turquoise waters of the Caribbean Sea, Diamond Lodge features nine thought-fully furnished, luxurious rooms and one incredible penthouse. With a private pool, mini spa, fitness center and an in-house chef, it is a perfectly intimate escape for couples looking for a sunshine-filled vacation and larger groups looking for a place to call home for a special event, retreat or celebration.

Memorandum Of Understanding Signed For International Airport On Ambergris Caye
On September 2015 the Prime Minister of Belize, Hon. Dean Barrow, mentioned on his Independence Day Message to Belize that government had plans for improving infrastructure designed to boost tourism in the country. One major project was the construction of an international airport for the island of Ambergris Caye and on Thursday, December 12, 2017, the project was put in motion and a Memorandum of Understanding was signed at the Nation’s Capital, Belmopan. This project is expected to significantly increase direct tourism arrivals in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye and will be Belize’s Second International Airport. The airport will be named The Efrain Guerrero International Airport and the plans are to make a state of the art international airport to accommodate flights from major airlines such as United Airlines and American Airlines as well as European and Canadian Airlines.

Pic of the Week: Brrrrr! Cold Front
This image of Elsie made us laugh, but it's a true depiction of how pretty much every single Belizean feels during these cold days. Nobody wants to get out of bed during a cold front, especially as cold as it is right now!! Belize's temperature hardly drops into the 60's so it's COLD right now. BRRRRR!!!! - photo by Elsie's owner Jeff Spiegel

San Pedro Celebrates The Virgin Of Guadalupe
The San Pedro Catholic Church rendered tribute to the Virgin of Guadalupe on Thursday, December 12, 2017. The Feast Day of the Virgin of Guadalupe saw reverence by Catholics and Guadalupanos paying tribute her as is done in thousands of churches through Mexico and now a grand celebration here in San Pedro Town. The Mañanitas took place at 4am at the Catholic Church with San Pedro’s very own Mariachi Mr. Javier Castillo followed by an hour of singing and a Holy Rosary in her honor. Mass commenced at 5:30 am and was officiated by Father David Mumba. In the evening a processing around town took place followed by church fair with the sale of food and refreshments at Friendship Park. Entertainment and homage to the Virgin Saint was quiet a success and included poems by church groups, dances by the San Pedro Dance Academy, Songs by Elina Palma, Vatranny Perez and Marthalicia Vasquez, performances by the Arts and Crafts group of the San Pedro RC Church and musical performances by Gaven, Vivian and Diego to name a few.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

BELIZE WINS FIRST TWO GOLD MEDALS AT CA GAMES!
Mr Belize Clayton Greenidge won 2 gold medals last night at the Central American Games! Greenidge competed in two categories in bodybuilding; masters and up to 80 Kilograms.

Belize at the Central American Games

Gasoline Lollipops in San Pedro
GASPOPS RETURN TO BELIZE If you missed out last year or want to dive into another Caribbean adventure, join Gasoline Lollipops for THREE shows in Belize - Friday, Jan 19, Saturday, Jan 20 and Sunday, Jan 21, 2018. At The Dive Bar At SeaStar - Just North of Tres Cocos Resort 1/2 mile North of Bridge.

Special Apperance at Sandy Toes!
Thu Dec 14 2017 at 5:00 pm. Sandy Toes Beach Bar & Grill, BOCA DEL RIO BEACH FRONT, San Pedro, Belize SPECIAL APPERANCE AT SANDY TOES! Come on in for a memorbale evening of music and dancing at the Palapa Bar and Grill. Fresh from the studio in Nashville, you’ll find John Stanley's music intoxicating, fresh, insightful, and moving. He will also play plenty of your favorites that will have you tapping your feet, singing along, and jumping on to the dance floor. Show starts at 5:00 and admisison is free.

Power outages scheduled for Stann Creek & Toledo Districts
On Thursday, December 14 from 7:00 a.m. to 7:45 a.m. and 2:15 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. to affect entire Placencia Peninsula including Plantation, Maya Beach, Forest Lagoon Estate, Seine Bight and Placencia; Red Bank, Maya Mopan, Santa Rosa, San Roman, San Pablo, Georgetown, Santa Cruz, Maya King, Cowpen, San Juan, Independence, Savannah Road and Big Creek Road; and entire Toledo District. BEL to replace transmission poles and conduct maintenance and testing of equipment at Dangriga Substation.

8th Annual Habinahan Wanaragua Competition
It's that time of the year again, mark the dates for the 8th Annual Habinahan Wanaragua Competition 2017!

Fisher Folk License Renewal Dates 2018
The Belize Fisheries Department hereby informs the PUBLIC that it commence the renewal of fisher folk licenses on January 3. 2018 A grace period for renewals will be in place until January 31, 2018. Fishers are advised to bring along all pertinent documents upon renewal of fisher folk licenses on January 3, 2018. Fishers are advised to bring along alpertinent documents upon renewal to facilitate the process. Licensing will be carried out for the following communities at the Belize Fisheries Office in Belize City on the dates specified below.

Belize Manatee Tour-Guide & Boat Captains Certificate Workshop
Dec 15, 9am, at the Coastal Zone Training Room.

Government of Belize Signs Memorandum of Understanding with International Airport Alliance Belize Limited
The Government of Belize on Tuesday, December 12, 2017, signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with International Airport Alliance Belize Limited (the “Developer”), seeking to develop and manage a full-service International Airport on Northern San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, namely the Efrain Guerrero International Airport (the “Project”). The proposed Project, inclusive of a terminal building, runway, taxiway, apron and other ancillary facilities, is valued at about USD$100 million, with plans to employ approximately 181 Belizeans during the operational phase. The Project expects to bring long-term socio-economic benefits to Belize and add further value to its thriving tourism industry.

Ministry of Health Notes Increase in Severe Acute Respiratory Infection Cases
The Ministry of Health informs the public that over the past few weeks there has been an increase in cases of Severe Acute Respiratory Infections (SARI). The Ministry has been informed by officials from Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital Authority (KHMHA) that they are seeing this increase at that hospital. The KHMHA noted that children make up over 70 percent of the cases. The Ministry of Health, however, has not seen any increase in reported data through the Belize Health Information System (BHIS). The Ministry has partnered with KHMHA to further investigate this increase and awaits laboratory results to assist in establishing the specific type of virus.

We got 2 goal medals in the Central American Games held in Managua, Nicaragua
It's the first time in history that Belize Body Building & Fitness Federation one person wins 2 gold medals at these games. Team Manager Guy Neal, Clayton Greenidge Mr. Belize 2017 is the Gold medalist & Oyinkro Akpobodor captured a bronze.

Presentation on HIV and Aids
On December 1st, PCV Ivette and her Community Health Worker held a presentation on HIV and Aids at the community's school. They spoke about why we should not stigmatize people with HIV or AIDS, How HIV spreads and eventually turns into AIDS and how to prevent HIV. "It is important to spread awareness this time of the month, and always, because it not only honors the lives lost but it is an ongoing commitment to assist those living with or at risk of contracting HIV." - PCV Ivette

Central American Games Medal Count

San Pedro Holiday Boat Parade
To say that I love the San Pedro Holiday Boat Parade is a sad understatement. Looking thru my pics from previous years...I can only get more excited. Sunset, Dec 16th, be there or be sad.

Manhole repair starts today in San Pedro
Work will be starting today (Thursday the 14th) on Coconut Drive by Ramon's Village to repair the manholes, Be advised that traffic traveling south from town will use Manta Ray street (Tropic Air cargo) Traffic traveling North will still use Coconut Drive with caution. Please follow any diversions posted. Thank you.

Mista Peetaz Brukdong Bram
Here is the performance schedule for the Mista Peetaz Brukdong Bram happening this Saturday behind the Court House starting from noon until 12:00 midnight! Lots of food and drinks on sale.

Channel 7

The Explosion, The Aftermath
Cayo residents are still in shock after yesterday's freak blast. The explosion killed 71 year old Ronald Sutherland. He was the owner of Tiger Aggregates Ltd. the company carrying out the operations on the Santa Elena site. Sutherland is known as an expert blaster but he made a costly error. The residents in the area also got hit hard as the boulders were flung great distances and crashed into their homes, destroying everything even vehicles. Some residents also got injured. It was huge eruption one that Cayo residents have never seen or experienced before. Courtney Weatherburne went to Cayo to see the aftermath including riveting amateur footage of the explosion in real time.

Comatose Man's Home Caught in The Explosion
Area rep. Montero says that overall there were about 10 homes and 8 vehicles that were destroyed and as you heard the company will pay for all the damages caused by the blast. We now have more interviews from other residents whose houses were destroyed and who were hurt in the explosion. We also spoke to a woman who had to rush her comatose brother to the hospital. Marlin Guerra - Resident: "I was coming from 5 o'clock from down yonder and I see they had some boys right there and they told me that I can't go to my house and then when I see the explosion come and when I see a lot of stones I start to run and a stone caught me on my back and then a next one caught me on my head."

Contracting Company Tells Homeowners To Send In Their Bills
So, as you've seen, the unprecedented event has left Cayo residents shaken. Tonight, Belize Roadway Company, which is the company that contracted Tiger Aggregates to do the explosion, estimates that there are an estimated 14 houses with significant damages and 20 other houses with minor damages. Their attorney Rachel Montejo told us via phone that the company will immediately assist affected residents with funds to undertake repairs:

Crazy Scene At Border As Drug Running Vehicle Makes Dramatic U Turn At Mex. Border
A very crazy scene played out at the northern border this afternoon - when a drug running SUV with Belize City plates - raced back into Belize after he felt the Mexicans were going to catch him with the drugs. At around 2:30 - the Navigator was approaching Mexican customs who did an X-Ray scan. The Mexicans saw something unusual in the cab of the vehicle and selected it for a secondary search. When the driver heard that, he did a high speed about turn. He sped out of the Mexican customs area and raced back over to the Belize side. The Mexican customs police pursued - and it seems in the rush, the Navigator's rear tyre was damaged. That caused him to crash into the gate of the cargo section on the Belize side. From there the driver dashed out on foot, and escaped either into the bushes or through the customs compound.

PM and NTUCB Agree to Public Hearings For Universal Health Services
The Senate Hearings on Immigration ended only just last week after 13 months of public sessions, but tonight, there are reports that another set of public hearings are in the works. That's what the National Trade Union Congress of Belize is reporting tonight. They say that the Prime Minister has given an undertaking to set up a Commission of Inquiry, quote, "into all the transactions and circumstances of the acquisition of the Universal Health Services (UHS) facility from inception to present, including questions of ownership and payments made to the Belize Bank Ltd" will be established.

Israel Chuc's Family Wants Justice
As we told you last night, Cayo resident 34 year old Israel Chuc was murdered – he was strangled to death. Chuc's body was found near what is known as the "Hammock" bridge leading to Branch Mouth on Sunday morning. Today we spoke to Chuc's brother as they were getting ready for his funeral service. He told us all he and his family wants is justice. Andres Chuc - Brother of Deceased: "I never expected this in my family. It's the first time we are experiencing this in my family. I never expected that they would kill my brother like this. When police told me that he was killed I wasn't satisfied so I did the best for my brother and went to Belize City yesterday for the post-mortem and I saw he was murdered; that's what the doctor told me."

Alleged Prisoner Who Forcibly Sodomised Another Prisoner Goes To Court
For the past week we've been reporting on the 21 year old male prison inmate who alleged that he had been forcibly sodomised in jail. Today, the 43 year old accused was charged with 2 counts of an unnatural crime when he appeared today before Senior Magistrate Aretha Ford. We won't release his name or photo because it could lead to the identity of the victim - who was raped. No plea was taken because the offences are indictable. The case was adjourned until March 14, 2018.

The "Meter Man" Walks
He was accused of stealing over 3,000 light meters from BEL, valued around $170,000 dollars, but tonight Burrell Boom Resident Santiago Padillo has been freed of that charge of theft. Padillo was first arraigned on the offense of theft in April of this year before Chief Magistrate Sharon Frazer. The electricity company accused him of stealing 3,033 meters which they placed in his care. He pleaded not guilty and was remanded. Well, today, when he reappeared before Senior Magistrate Aretha Ford, the prosecution was not able to provide him or the court with disclosure on the case. The failure to deliver on time was consequential because even though the prosecutor was asking to for a further adjournment, Senior Magistrate Ford took into consideration that the case first ended up before the Magistrate's Court 8 months ago.

Senate Debates, Defeats Maritime Areas Amendment Bill
The Senate met today in Belmopan - and the biggest business on the agenda was the Private Motion brought by Opposition member Eamon Courtenay. It's called the "MARITIME AREAS AMENDMENT BILL 2017", and he wants to re-instate Belize's full Maritime Areas - which were relaxed in 1992 - to open the way for a possible compromise with Guatemala in Belize's southern waters. But, the hopes for a negotiated settlement were officially abandoned when Belize and Guatemala committed to take the dispute to the ICJ in 2008. Now, Courtenay brought the motion to say that those full maritime areas must be completely re-instated to enhance Belize's standing and bargaining position.

Civic Center Is Ready And Open For Viewing
In July, we took you inside the Belize Civic Center for a look at how far the contractors had progressed in constructing the new multi-million dollar facility. Well, 5 months later, and they're just about finished with the construction the CIVIC. The construction team has a few finishing touches that they have to put on the building, and after that they will hand it over to the public. Now, as you are aware, the construction of this - the most expensive public building in Belize's history - has been a political hot button issue.

Corporal Usher and Sr. Supt. Vidal
Last night on the news - we had an unusual interview with a man who admitted that police caught him with contraband - but says that cops also took five hundred dollars from him. Now, that's one matter - but another is that he showed that the police were straight up lying when they claimed they found 25 cases of Mexican beer in an abandoned house. But, it wasn't an abandoned house, it was his house - and he told us how the police used a movie reference to suggest that he had to hand over some cash with the contraband:..

High Powered Ammo Found
Police found some high powered ammunition when they searched an abandoned house on Plues Street yesterday evening. These twenty .223 rifle cartridges were deposited as found property because no one was in the area. These types of cartridges are typically used in combat or high powered hunting rifles.

San Ignacio and Santa Elena Get New Town Hall
Belize City has been promising for months that it will begin work on a new administrative building at the commercial center, but their counterparts in Cayo have zoomed ahead - with a new three story Town Hall. It's called the San Ignacio, Santa Elena Town Hall and today Mayor Earl Trapp beamed with pride at today's opening.

A Gateway To The Future
After 6 months of training, 38 students graduated today from the Youth Apprenticeship Program. This is the 10th group to have been given life skills and technical training from Director Dianne Finnegan and her team, and today, they stood among the participants who have successfully completed the curriculum. We stopped by to speak with a few of those graduates who stuck with the program since the end of May. Here's what they told us:

A New Book On Ageing
Today, the National Council on Ageing launched a book of short stories which they have been working on since 2009. It's called StoryTime, and its objective was give senior citizens an opportunity to interact with children between the ages of 6-11. Since then, the project has evolved to the point where a group of children from those age ranges have been filmed dramatizing the stories, along with live reading sessions of older persons sharing these stories with their young audiences. The NCA says that this was "an effort to encourage inter-generational activities, and re-establish the older person's role as a source of knowledge.

Bowen's Jungle Boxes
And while the council was launching their new book, Bowen and Bowen was teaming up with the World Pediatric Project's Belize Office to bring a little Christmas cheer to 30 needy families from Belize City this morning. The Belize Representative of the World Pediatric Project told us that they chose families who they interact with regularly, and could definitely use one of Bowen and Bowen's Jingle Boxes: Bowen and Bowen still have 170 more of their Jingle Boxes which they will give out in collaborating with other NGO's.

Channel 5

Quarry Explosion Kills Mining Manager; Destroys Houses in Santa Cruz Neighborhood
There are serious questions being asked tonight about a deadly explosion which caused the loss of one life, injured many others and left properties extensively damaged. A dynamite was exploded [...]

Residents Were Warned, Contractor Says; Damages to be Assessed
While Belize Roadway Construction is not accepting liability for damages caused by the explosion, the company is reaching out to residents of the Santa Cruz community in an effort to [...]

Family Says Murdered Israel Chuc Had Been Attacked Before
This morning, the Chuc family from San Ignacio spoke out about the murder of Israel Chuc. The thirty-four-year-old was discovered dead in the Branch Mouth area of San Ignacio and [...]

Prison Lifer Back to Jail for Alleged Rape
Forty-three-year-old Kenroy Cooke was arraigned today in court on two counts of unnatural act and one count of harm which occurred on the twenty-fifth and twenty-ninth of November of this [...]

Senate Government Caucus Skeptical on Maritime Areas Amendment
The Senate met for its final session for 2017 this morning in Belmopan. On the agenda were four bills and two motions brought from the House of Representatives along with [...]

Ashley Rocke Swings Vote Despite Plea from P.U.P.’s Courtenay
From the inception of its plan to present the Bill, the P.U.P. went on the move to lobby the social partner senators, who often prove to be the deciding factor [...]

Eamon Blames ‘Politics’ for Defeat; U.D.P. Asks Who’s Really in Charge?
After the Senate meeting, a disappointed Eamon Courtenay lamented the chance wasted by what he called ‘petty politics.’ Meanwhile, Michael Peyrefitte expanded on the suggested ‘incompetence’ of his former House [...]

The Civic is Back – Who Will Manage Spanking New Arena
A new state of the art Civic Center on Central American Boulevard was opened today for the first tour by the public. The impressive facility is said to cost the [...]

Time’s Up! Belize Bank, G.O.B. Prepare for U.H.S. Showdown
Has the time come for repayment of ninety million-plus Belize dollars to the Belize Bank Limited in respect of the Government’s sovereign guarantee of a defaulted loan by Universal Health [...]

Aldo Salazar Says Chamber Was Out of Line
The House of Representatives is on recess as of Friday, so even if the certificate is obtained in the coming days, its enforcement cannot be pursued until the House next [...]

Government Plans U.H.S. Commission of Inquiry But What Will It Accomplish?
There will be a Commission of Inquiry into the Universal Health Services fiasco, as agreed between the National Trade Union Congress of Belize’s executive and Prime Minister Dean Barrow during [...]

Senate Turns Down Contractor General for Re-Appointment
Godwin Arzu has been in the role of Contractor General since 2009 and his current two-year term expires at the end of 2017. The government has been seeking to renew [...]

A Christmas Gift to Belize: No Oil on Our Shores!
There was rare bipartisan agreement on the Petroleum Operations (Maritime Zone Moratorium) Bill, 2017, which establishes a moratorium on exploration, exploitation and other operations within the Belize Barrier Reef system, [...]

New Hall Towers over Twin Towns
San Ignacio and Santa Elena Towns have a brand new town hall. The one point seven million dollar spanking new building was inaugurated today and replaces the old town hall [...]

Giving out the Jingle Box
Some needy families were all smiles today in anticipation of the Christmas holidays. Inside a Jingle Box, the families found an assortment of groceries that will make their Christmas happier. [...]

Bodybuilders Strike Gold in Managua
Belize has finally gotten on the golden side in the Central American Games in bodybuilding. On Tuesday night, Clayton Greenidge secured the masters’ title and light-heavyweight eighty-kilogram category. Oyinkro Akpobodor [...]

Young and Old Unite for ‘Story Time’
Still looking for a Christmas gift for your children? Why not give the gift of reading and contribute to a good cause by gifting a copy of “Story Time”?The National [...]

38 Grads from Youth Apprenticeship Program
The Youth Apprenticeship Program held another graduation today where more than thirty apprentices of the tenth intake graduated. According to the coordinators of the program, over one hundred of the [...]

Amandala

VERDES FC IS THE NEW PLB 2017-2018 OPENING SEASON CHAMPION
Although they lost, 2-1, to Belmopan Bandits SC at the Isidoro Beaton Stadium in game 2 of the finals on Saturday night, Verdes FC was still declared champion of the Premier League of Belize (PLB) 2017-2018 Opening Season, by virtue of the “away goal rule,” since they had won game 1 the previous week on their home turf at the Norman Broaster Stadium by a 1-nil score. It was a highly anticipated game 2 for the PLB championship, and the game lived up to expectations, as fans were treated to some real exciting football action, both teams demonstrating the qualities that made them finalists in the competition. Top striker, Honduran Georgie Welcome, who left game 1 injured in first half of game 1 and was questionable for game 2, was in the Bandits lineup on Saturday, and played the full ninety, though obviously handicapped by a sore knee. As important for the defending champions was the return to their lineup of captain Elroy Smith and midfielder Khalil Velasquez, both missing from game 1 of the finals because of red card suspensions in the semifinals.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Government signs memorandum of understanding with International Airport Alliance Belize Limited
The Government of Belize (GOB) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with International Airport Alliance […]

Severe Acute Respiratory Infection Cases reported by MOH
The Ministry of Health today informed the public that over the past few weeks there […]

Rifle cartridges found in “Gaza territory”
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2017. 1:41 p.m. CST. Belize City cops have taken several rifle cartridges off the streets but have not found […]

Man arraigned for sodomizing cell mate half his age
Today, Kenroy Cooke, 43, appeared before Senior Magistrate Aretha Ford where he was arraigned for […]

Police issues official report on explosion at quarry in Santa Elena, Cayo
According to police reports, yesterday around 5:30 PM, San Ignacio police visited La Loma Luz Hospital […]

Vehicle stolen in Belize City
Belize City cops are investigating a case of vehicle theft.According to police reports, Abner Patt, […]

BEL plans to retain electricity rates
Belize Electricity Limited (BEL) issued a press release yesterday stating that it is not planning […]

Israel Chuc was murdered
Over the weekend, BBN reported that a man was found dead, lying face-down on the […]

Cool conditions to continue
The 24-hour forecast is for fair, cool and dry conditions to prevail with mostly cloudy […]

Driver who crashed into new Civic Center fence charged for drunk driving
The driver who crashed into and destroyed a portion of the newly constructed Civic Center […]

Blogs

More December Events
There are so many things to do in the month of December on Ambergris Caye that I thought it warranted another post. If you are planning for next year already, you can see all the previously listed ones in the earlier post; December Events in Belize. Each event name or location below has a link (in blue) directly to their Facebook page (some are event pages), so you can see full details.

Housesitting: 5 Places I Stayed for Free Around the World: Tropical Belize
You might be thinking by now that we travel like this in Europe only, but that’s not the case at all. In Belize we had a home deep in the jungle. We were often visited by howler monkeys during the daytime. They would swing from tree to tree, close enough to our shady porch that we could identify the alpha male, the teenagers, and the moms with babies clinging tightly to their chests as they passed. Our evening visitors were mostly bats, attracted to the bananas we had put out, but if we were really lucky we would have a more elusive visitor. Sitting on a moonlit night watching an extraordinarily cute, big-eyed kinkajou munching away is one of life’s special moments.

The Sport of Kings
Horse racing was introduced to Belize in the 1920s. At that time there were 2 major horse races. The Dewars Cup, named because of its sponsor, took place on Boxing Day, December 26th. The other race took place on 1st January. Some horses were imported from Jamaica, others were the Belizean bred family pony. People gathered for a bit of fun, to race their horse and of course to drink, bet and hopefully make a bit of cash. Today there are several stables in Belize that breed horses but horse racing hasn’t changed much. Unlike the rest of the world it is relatively small scale and Horse breeders and owners come from all walks of life. There are now 3 race courses, Castleton Race Track in Burrell Boom, The Benny Padron Race track in San Felipe Village, Orange Walk and the Peoples Stadium in Orange Walk, which also acts as a football pitch and sports stadium. The terrain is grass, the type of race for those who know their horse racing terms, flat.

Growing Tourist Arrivals to Belize Continues
Tourism in Belize has grown considerably recently, and it is now the second largest industry in the nation. The Belize Tourism Board says this shows the country is more of a year-round destination. The growth in tourism has positively affected the agricultural, commercial, and finance industries, as well as the construction industry. Important tourist attractions in Belize include the natural attractions of land and sea, making the areas important in Ecotourism, as well as the historic ruins of Belize’s Pre-Columbian Maya civilization. The tourist arrivals in the first 9 months of 2017 continue to show a positive output. In October, statistics show that there was a 7.9% increase in Overnight arrivals in the month of September, which has an increase of over 1,400 tourists. The increase in the arrival of visitors was thru the land borders in Northern and Western Belize since incoming flights through the International Airport were affected by the threat of storms. Despite this, the total overnight arrival increase was 8.6% for the first 9 months of the year, registered a small but steady increase.

10 Amazing Facts About Actun Tunichil Muknal
Actun Tunichil Muknal (ATM) Cave was once used by the ancient Maya but was abandoned in the years before the arrival of the Spanish. Over 1,000 years later, it was rediscovered deep in the jungles of Belize. Here are 10 amazing facts about the ATM Cave: 1 - Discovery Channel: The Discovery Channel rated ATM Cave as the number one Sacred Cave in the world. 2 - The Crystal Maiden: The cave is sometimes called the "Cave of the Crystal Maiden" because the remains of a young adult around 20 years old were found in the cave. Its bones have fused with the crystals in the cave and now shines with an unearthly, glittery sheen. 3 - Incredible Documentaries: The History Channel, National Geographic, and the Discovery Channel have all filmed documentaries about this amazing cave.

Belize Whale Shark Diving & Snorkeling
Whale sharks are truly amazing animals. Weighing in around 10 tons and measuring as long as 40 feet (12 meters), whale sharks are the largest non-mammalian animals in the world. Whale sharks are sharks, not whales, but they got their name for their enormous size. Like many giant creatures in the oceans, whale sharks feed exclusively on tiny plankton and krill, and they have no teeth as such, just a complex filter organism that strains out their food from the water. Because of this, they pose little danger to humans. Whale sharks circumnavigate the planet every year, traveling more than 30,000 miles (48,000 kilometers) as they follow the tides and currents. Whale sharks often cruise a deep depths, sometimes more than 5,000 feet (1.5 km) below the surface AND can filter over 1,500 gallons (5,600 liters) of water per hour when they feed. Once a year, in the springtime, whale sharks enter the waters of Belize near the area of Glover's Reef in the outer part of the Belize Barrier Reef. In synch with the phases of the moon, whale sharks rise to the surface of the ocean in search of tiny fish spawn, making this the best time for people to snorkel or scuba dive with these incredible animals.

Beachfront Bargain: A Look at Caribbean Villas Hotel on Ambergris Caye
I get quite a few questions. Often I’m asked for an opinion on a specific hotel. Is the pool good for kids? Is it a convenient location? So this week, I visited two different resorts. First…Caribbean Villas Hotel. A large property just south of town — an easy 15 minute walk to the center. Lots of beachfront and LOTS to do. The front desk gave me my key. I was on the 4th floor – yes! there is an elevator – and room B. There are two sections of the hotel – one part, the villas. Larger suites. And then the new building. It’s BIG…

Turtle Inn and Coral Caye in Belize
We spent four days at Blancaneaux Lodge on our own before meeting up with the Coppola Winery team and other press outlets at Turtle Inn, a little less than four hours away. What I loved is that even though we were moving properties, we knew the same management team was overseeing each location. This meant we knew the quality and service that was waiting for us. Each property also had tons of books and board games to borrow and play, which I found so family-friendly and charming. So while we were sad to leave the gorgeous tropical jungle of Blancaneaux, we looked forward to swimming in the Caribbean at Turtle Inn! I knew I was in good hands when I was greeted with a dog upon my arrival. Ocho is a part of the security team of the resort, which means she sleeps during the day and walks around the property at night. A four-legged friend (no offense Lula, we love your three legs too) is my kind of greeting!

International Sourcesizz

This Conservationist Turns Animal Sounds Into Music—And It's Weirdly Beautiful
Ben Mirin is probably the only person in the world who can put "sound artist and explorer" on his LinkedIn page. Mirin, who has harbored a deep love for both music and bird-watching from a young age, recently found a way to combine the two into a profession all his own. Now, you can find him recording animal noises around the world and mixing them into conservation art that shares Mother Earth's symphony with the masses. Mirin was first inspired to blend his two seemingly disparate passions when he was living abroad in Japan after college. Once he moved back to the states and landed a job in New York City, he was further inspired to blend the two, first making his own bird soundtracks as a way to reconnect with the creatures he loved so much. He turned some woodpecker taps into a bass, chirping calls into a chorus, and the resulting wild orchestra caught the attention of National Geographic. Since this first mix, his career as a nature DJ has sent him on expeditions to India and Belize, across the mountains of California and the coasts of Belize. Along the way, he's isolated and recorded the calls of certain animals, searching for a rich, layered story that only nature can tell.

Caribbean leaders launch plan to make region a climate-smart zone, with IDB support
The Inter-American Development Bank Group (IDB Group) announced its support for the newly formed Caribbean Climate-Smart Coalition, a public-private initiative aimed at funding an $8 billion investment plan to transform the region into the world’s first “climate-smart” zone and benefit an estimated 3.2 million households in the region. The Coalition’s work will focus on coordinated action on four initial critical priorities: scaling renewable energy and energy efficiency; building low-carbon, resilient infrastructure; creating innovative financing models in exchange for progress on policy reforms to promote climate-smart growth; and strengthening the capacity of Caribbean countries to plan for long-term resilience strategies.

Videos

• Chaa Creek Belize Resort Teams Up With Realize Non-Profit, 2min. The Lodge at Chaa Creek teamed up with REALIZE, a non-profit NGO that exists to support individuals with disabilities in Belize to lead healthy, safe and fulfilled lives. They work with individuals, their families and circles of support and the professionals, institutions and community around them. We were very happy to provide a horseback riding experience for these kids and their families, it was a Sunday full of fun, joy, laughter, therapy and happiness!

• BELIZE: Ann-Marie Williams of Women’s Commission – “SDG 5 on Gender Equality drives all other SDGs”, 5min. Executive Director of the National Women’s Commission in Belize, Ms. Ann-Marie Williams discusses the important cross-cutting role of gender in the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). She welcomes the support of the UNFPA Caribbean Office and shares some of the more impactful collaborations with us over the years. She was speaking on the 11th December at her office in Belize City during a media visit by our Advocacy & Communications Consultant, Vilma Gregory and her team.

• Bones, 1/2min. If you come to Southeastern Belize, make sure to pack your dancing shoes. Or for that matter, your dancing everything

• Strange Thoughts, 1/2min. When you travel to a curious place, you might find yourself acting … curiously.

• Ugly Fish, 1/2min. They say there’s sunken treasure off the coast of Belize—we call it the Belize Barrier Reef.

• Immersed, 1/2min. With Maya temples, dense jungles and mysterious caves, Western Belize feels like an adventure movie. Or at least an adventure movie with really nice hotels.

• Coach Raymond Lashley: The Unorthodox One!, 1min. The twelfth episode of a video documentary series called Belizean Legends that will profile the legendary Belizean softball coach and gold medalist, Raymond Lashley, who coached the Belize national selection that won the gold medal in the 1974 Central American & Caribbean Games in Santa Domingo. Coach Lashley discusses his softball coaching career in Belize with Belizean Legends host Bilal Morris and revisits highlights of the game where Belize won its first gold medal in an international sports competition.

• Parrots mimic other birds, 1/2min. We are often asked if wild parrots mimic other birds in the same way that captive parrots will mimic people. In our experience parrots that are raised in captivity with another species will mimic them but the ones we hand raise from babies tend to use only natural vocalisations. This released white front is actually making a red lored call, albeit a little higher pitched than the original.

• THE BUSINESS COMMUNITTY IS CONCERNED ABOUT RECENT ARMED ROBBERIES IN ORANGE WALk, 6.5min. Over the past few months Orange Walk has seen an upsurge in random armed robberies with businesses being the targets. The first of these incidents viewers may remember occurred on October 14th when Mini Super Harvies Shop located in the village of Carmelita was robbed of more than $4,000 in cash and items by three armed robbers.

• Hermit Crab Races at Crazy Canucks Beach Bar, 1min. Every Tuesday, you can head on down to Crazy Canucks to find a family-friendly fun-packed event: the hermit crab races! Benefitting Daryl's Kids of Belize and Colleen's Kitchen at San Pedro Food Bank, Canucks has successfully paid for many many many tuitions (primary school, high school, and college), built dozens of school desks, provided many meals... Donations of over $50,000 to the charities, all while continually giving rewards to crab racers week in and week out! If you haven’t already, make sure to check out the crab Races at Crazy Canucks on Tuesdays!

• Un-Belize-Able! Charm School International in Belize!, 5min. Two years ago, I started a nonprofit to mentor young ladies and also use culture as a means of teaching the practical skills I've acquired while traveling. Charm School International was designed to utilize cultural immersion experiences and etiquette to teach lifeskills to young ladies in high school. In August, we were able to embark on our inaugural cultural immersion experience abroad to explore Belize City, Belize! This trip was a dream come true for me and a life changing experience for one of my mentees, who was able to indulge in the experience.

• Primicias between the Yucatec Maya in Belize, 15min. The Primicias is one of the most important rituals among the Maya Masewal(Yucatec Maya) in Belize. There are different types of Primicias like the Wahil kol the offering for the first harvest and the Cha Chaac to ask for rain . The Yucatec Maya in Belize are mainly found in Corozal,Orange Walk and Cayo. This documentary was made by NMSU Creative Media Insittute & Scarlet Studio documenting Belizean Yucatec Maya Silverio Canto from the Cayo District . Deep in the mountains of Belize's San Antonio, Cayo District lives Silverio Canto: a family man, priest, retired teacher, herbalist, and maya shaman. Through compassion, faith, and ancient knowledge of the jungle around him, Silverio Canto is hailed as one of the greatest medicine men in Belize.

• Belize Missionary Trip 2017, 9.5min. July 2017, Missionary Trip to Belize, Kids Camp at GWP Orphanage

• Yucatec Maya from Xaibe Corozal playing music, 2.5min. Today most Yucatec Maya in Belize are Roman catholic . This is in the church of Xaibe in Corozal the Mayas playing las mananitas to Virgin Mary . Today the Yucatec Maya belong to different religious faiths some are Roman Catholic ,evanelics etc . Many continue the faith of their Maya ancestors while others mix with Christianity.