Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Almost every Belizean home make their version of Rum Popo. It is a sign of hospitality and celebration whenever you visit a home and are offered this great Belizean concoction.

It was noted by an English visitor in 1866, that “Christmas is not properly observed unless you brew egg nog for all comers; everybody calls on everybody else; and each call is celebrated by a solemn egg-nogging...It is made cold and is drunk cold and is to be commended.” 

Here's my version of that great tradition. Sip some rum popo (or egg nog if you prefer) and enjoy.

The ingredients, 18 eggs, 6 condensed milk, 6 evaporated milk, 2 nutmegs and of course, Caribbean Rum or any strong rum 151 proof to taste, or if you like "all the likka you have".
Beat eggs until foamy
Combine condensed and evaporated milk
Add beaten eggs to milk mixture, stirring carefully
Carefuly add rum while stirring
Add grated nutmeg
Stir mixture well
Strain to remove inconsistencies
Finished product
Join us this Christmas for some Rum Popo

Becky' Kitchen in Belize...All photos by Dr. Jane Crawford

Village View Post

Belizean Rum Popo

Due to popular demand, I'm uploading this one earlier than I had planned.

Rum Popo

Ingredients

• 9 eggs
  • 1 pint strong rum or to taste (2 cups / 500 ml)
  • 4 nutmeg (grated)
  • 1 oz cinnamon stick
  • 6 tins large evaporated milk
  • 2 tins sweetened condensed milk (or to taste)

Directions

Soak cinnamon stick in rum for 2 days prior to making.
Crack open eggs and place in bowl and remove string (eye of egg)
Beat eggs well for about 15 - 20 minutes.
Add evaporated milk and beat again.
Add condensed milk and check for sweetness.
Add grated nutmeg and the rum. (Used for soaking the cinnamon )
Please strain.
Mix again and then store in clean, dry bottles.
Store in refrigerator.
Shake before serving.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Colac's Sumptuous Rum Popo (Christmas Feature )

Rum Popo

If you ask any Belizean both young or old what make Christmas a Belizean Christmas, they'll more than likely tell you it's Black Fruit Cake and Rum Popo. In truth, this combination has over the years become two of the most important elements of the Belizean Holidays. Step into almost any household and you'll find mini workstations (typically run by the matriarch of the house), with eggs being beaten, batter being mixed, and milky mixtures being stirred by younger family members.

If you're lucky enough to be visiting Belize this Christmas, you should definitely try to get your hands on a slice of Belizean black fruit cake with a glass of rum popo. For those of you who can't make it, we've prepared the following cooking guide on how to prepare these tasty Christmas favorites. Do enjoy!

Ingredients

4 large tins evaporated milk
12 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tbsp. vanilla
1 tbsp. rose water
� tsp. nutmeg
1 pt. strong rum

Preparation

Beat egg yolks with sugar in large bowl. Heat milk but do not boil. When sugar is dissolved, add half hot milk to egg yolk mixture and return to remainder of hot milk. Stir continuously over low flame for about ten minutes or until mixture slightly thickens (do not allow to boil). Remove from flame, cool slightly, then add rum, vanilla, rose water and nutmeg.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Grace & You Rum Popo (features El Dorado White Rum)

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Rum Popo - a Recipe Tested by Generations for 55 Years

The Christmas holiday in Belize is synonymous with family get-togethers. And at the heart of the celebrations are the delicacies like the ham, Christmas cakes and the rum popo. To lead up to the holidays we want to share with you one of the Belizean traditions during this season.� Rum Popo is known to many as a more potent version of "egg nog" with the alcohol - and it is enjoyed by the young and the old.� To learn a quick and easy but flavorful rum popo recipe, reporter Andrea Polanco met up with Dawn Smith from Belize City. Her family has a rum popo recipe that they've been using for over fifty-years and today she shared it with us.� Let's find out how you can make your rum popo for the holidays:

Andrea Polanco

"So, we are here with Miss Dawn Smith. She has a long standing tradition of making rum popo with her family. We know that for a lot of families Christmas time is when you do ham; decorate the house; get together and for many it is also a time to have a good drink.� So, Ms. Dawn, let's talk about why making rum popo is such a big part of your family's traditions."

Dawn Smith

"Well, it all started about fifty-five years ago when my uncle brought home a recipe for my mother and asked her to make this. And she did it and tweaked it a bit and this is where we are at today. And from since then we have been making it for home use and then we branched out and sell it because my father passed away and my mom used it as a source of income to buy gifts for her grand-children. So, that is basically how it became a tradition in my family."

Andrea Polanco

"So, today you are going to show us this recipe - how to make this rum popo. So, let's get into it."

Dawn Smith

"The first thing we do is that we start with an evaporated milk and this is just a small batch of it. So, we start with the evaporated milk. I prefer the Dutch Lady but I have used Carnation in the past but for some reason, Dutch Lady gives it a creamier, thicker feel to it. And then we add a condense milk - and we try to get as much of this into it as this is thick. This is something that my mom taught me and I plan to teach my child it as well."

Andrea Polanco

"So, fifty-five years and counting this recipe is being passed on?"

Dawn Smith

"Yes, fifty-five years it is being shared.� It is hard to tell when it is done - it is by feeling if you feel it going smoothly from there then you get that feeling and you just add the egg. You add it slowly so that it blends in there, you add it slowly."

Andrea Polanco

"So, how many eggs have you added - and I know you also do this step of where you remove the "eye" from the egg- talk to me about that?"

Dawn Smith

"This has six eggs and yes, first I add the eggs individually. I break each one, take out the eye and then from there we just add it like this. The reason for this is because when you drink the rum popo you don't want to have something slipping down your throat. So, you take out the eye and just mix it until you see all the yellow from the yolk has disappeared and then you take it up one more speed on the mixer to blend it all in. Then you add in the vanilla - about one eight of a cup in vanilla and then we add the nutmeg either two small or one large. You just blend all of this. I know that some people put it on the stove, but we don't do that because the rum cooks the egg. So, you just blend that all around and then you add the rum."

Andrea Polanco

"Again, is there any particular type of rum you look for when you make rum popo?"

Dawn Smith

"We use the extra strong - it is not a lot of rum that we use in this case it was only a quarter of the cup of extra strong rum. �And that's it. You just measure it out."

Andrea Polanco

"So, we know that some people buy their rum popo - but you can make it right at home. As you're showing us - some fifteen minutes and you can make it. Give it the little kick that you want?"

Dawn Smith

"Right. The longest part is breaking the eggs - other than that to blend it is a quick process. And when you do fill it, it is not all the way to the top. The reason is that you need to give it room to shake because the nutmeg tend to settle at the top and so you want to give it that room to shake it vigorously and drink it. It is really nice if you put it in the freezer and freeze it. It is like ice cream."

Andrea Polanco

"Okay. So, now that we have the finished product. I have one of my co-workers here who will be able to test it out and tell us if Ms Dawn's rum popo is as good as we've been hearing. You have Kenroy's stamp of approval - he says it is rich and he is enjoy it."

Dawn Smith

"Yes, he is enjoying it to the last drop. So, there is still time to place orders if you do want your rum popo for Christmas or the New Year. You can contact me. My number is 610-3088. Or you can find me on Facebook and Whatsapp me on that number as well.� My facebook is Dawn Smith and so you can reach me through those means."

So, there you had it - a recipe to make your own Rum Popo at home. But if you don't have the time or simply want to try out Dawn Smith's recipe, you can call 610-3088 and get your rum popo for this holiday season!

Channel 5

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Belizean Rum Popo | Egg Nog | Crema

Rum Popo, is a delicious rum cr�me traditionally served in Belize during Christmas. This rum popo recipe only uses 5 ingredients easily found in most pantries. The longest part is the blending of the eggs. The recipe is easy to put together and no time at all you'll be indulging in this simple holiday drink.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.