FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Letter to the Editor: CORRUPTION IN BELIZE – My Experience, Perspective, and Suggested Solutions
Corruption within a country is best described as the ruthless mismanagement and pilfering of public funds and resources for personal gain to the disregard of its citizens, depriving them of their constitutional human rights. In the presence of Good Governance, there is honesty, integrity, transparency, accountability, and responsiveness. Corruption brings a gradual change for the worse, a demoralizing process, destabilizing a society and rendering great harm to a nation. Corruption has strong connections between officials, politicians, and criminals, infiltrating every aspect of a vulnerable society. This alternative system of government tends to give a few absolute power, and to quote Lord Acton who said, as far back as 1887, “Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely”.

Wolfe’s Woofer: The Money Drop Game
When I dropped the work crew off at the bar Juney said, “Mr. Dennis, It’s Friday. Come on in and have drink with us.” “Yeh,” Gaby said, “It won’t hurt you. You hardly never have a drink with us.” At the bar we took our seats and sat listening to a loud-mouth braggart at a nearby table talking about how much money he had. “Back in the States I got a new Chevy pickup truck and a boat. I make more money in a month than most of my family makes in a year,” he said. “I sure am glad I moved to the U.S. For me, it’s all about the money.”

What’s New – Crocs Sunset Sports Bar
On November 9th, the latest addition to the Tres Cocos Area held its ‘soft’ opening. Crocs Sunset Sports Bar, owned by Ivan Luna, actually ended up being the most happening spot that day, and has remained buzzing ever since. The official opening party, which will unveil the special-events bar located at the top floor, is being scheduled for the year’s end. With a sports bar atmosphere, complete with a variety of TVs spread throughout the space, Crocs is the place to catch the latest games. Featuring both indoor and outdoor seating, and located ideally on the lagoon side, it’s a great place to catch some of the most amazing sunsets that La Isla Bonita has to offer.

Doctor Love: Need to Veg
Dear Doctor Love, My partner and I are vegetarians. This is a lifestyle choice that we made four years ago and neither of us have had animal flesh since. We eat a huge variety of vegetarian foods and both of us are healthy and fit. Recently we were invited to a Thanksgiving party. The hostess is a good friend and she made veggie burgers for us – something we did not expect but really appreciated. One guest started a conversation about eating meat and asked us if we would serve turkey and ham at a Thanksgiving party if we hosted one at our home. I explained to him that we would never host a gathering on an occasion when it was traditional to consume turkey and ham. By this time there were many people gathered around and one of them laughed and told me I was pretty selfish considering my “special diet” had been considered by the hostess and another said he would sneak beef broth into my food.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Harmouch Hardware Congratulates their Christmas Raffle Winners
And extends Season’s Greeting to all their customers. Harmouch Tala First place - Jeff Spigel 54” Samsung Smart TV Second Place - Raul Carera Frigidaire Washing Machine Third Place - Areldy Rivera Fourth Place - Ana Acosta (in first pic) 32” Proscan LED TV Additional Prizes Microwave - Mr. Moh Blender - Dimas Coffee Maker - Kenvin

Students visit Caves Branch Botanical Garden
One of the last school visits for 2017, Garden City school, beautification project. All the pictures are self-explanatory- children enjoying planting! There were too many visits to schools in 2017 to post all pictures, but we can definitely say that each year there is more and more interest from schools in learning and planting their gardens.

Road Traffic Accident
On 23.12.2017 about 6:45 p.m., Benque Viejo Police responded to a report of Road Traffic Accident on the George Price Highway near the Belize Western Border. Upon arrival Police observed a Hispanic male person lying on the highway apparently dead with a large cut wound to the left side of the head and the left side of the neck. About 120 feet from the body Police saw a Red Toyota Corolla Taxi with License Plate BV0-D-00903, with damages on the entire front portion. The driver of the taxi 67 year d SANTOS CHIQUIL reported that about 6:40 p.m. on Saturday 23rd December, 2017 while driving his taxi to the direction of Benque Viejo Town another vehicle was approaching from the opposite direction with its high beam on, which blurred his vision and as a result he swerved to the extreme right which caused him to hit someone. The body was identified to be 59 year old ALBERTO ANTONIO MAAS, a resident of the New Border Area, Benque Viejo Del Carmen Town.

American National Found Dead On Road
On 23.12. 2017, about 11:50 a.m., Placencia Police were on patrol on the Placencia Peninsula main road, between Seine Bight and Placencia Village when they observed a parked grey in color Mitsubishi SUV in a vacant property about seventy five yards off the main road. A body in an advanced state of decomposition, dressed in a long black pants and a green checkered blouse was lying face down immediately behind the SUV without footwear and resembled that of a female. Investigations revealed that the Grey in Mitsubishi SUV was rented by 55 year old Kimberly Lin Stephens, an American of Onalaska, Washington USA on Saturday 16th December 2017 and it was to be return on Saturday 23rd December 2017 which she never did. Police are investigating her death.

Cayo Art Festival 2017
The Cayo Art Festival gets better every year. There was some amazing art on display yesterday at the Cayo Welcome Center. Bella Dee's Soaps, Bath and Spa Products, Soaps of Ix-Canan / Gifts from Mayaland, Belize Botanic Gardens, Cacao & Company, and many more local artisans were there displaying their creations. The hudut was superb! Blended Deli's berry twist was perfect. The music was spot on. The Cayo Music School played while the Christmas tree was being constructed More pictures.

The Reporter

Ranchito businessman robbed
Police are investigating a robbery in the Corozal district, where a businessman lost thousands of dollars and a vehicle. Polic report that around 11 a.m. yesterday, one Jaxi Tan, a 21-year-old manager of a business in Ranchito Village, came to report that three dark-skinned men ran into his store to rob him. Two of the men held Jan at gunpoint while the third stole $7,000 in cash. The robbers also relieved Jan of his Huawei brand value $1,000.00 then made off with his red 2014 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab truck value $42,000.00, for a total loss of $50,000.

Elderly man killed in road accident
A 59-year-old man is dead following a road traffic accident on the Geroge Price Highway near the western border. Police say that they responded to a call around 6:45 pm yesterday, to find Alberto Santos Maas, a resident of the New Border area of Benque Viejo Del Carmen town, on the side of the road apparently dead, with large cuts to the left side of the head and neck. Their investigation revealed that 67-year-old Santos Chiquil, taxi driver of Las Lomas Del Rodeo had run into Maas with his red Toyota Corolla, which caused the fatal injuries. Chiquil told police that while he was driving a vehicle headed in the opposite direction failed to turn off its high beams and blinded him. Chiquil said that he swerved off the road in an effort to avoid an accident, when he ended up hitting Mas. He was pronounced dead on arrival at the San Ignacio Poly Clinic.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Drunk driver attempts to bribe cop
A man is in trouble with the law after he was busted driving drunk and attempted to bribe law enforcers. Police reported that around 4:45 p.m. on Friday, cops were conducting patrol on the George Price highway near Unitedville village when they observed a grey Ford pickup truck swerving across the highway.

Maleek Pitts busted with weed
Yesterday around 12:20 p.m., while the Mobile Interdiction Team was on patrol on Jones Street in Belize City, cops observed a man throwing two black plastic bags underneath a parked white van. Police approached Maleek Pitts, 20, and in his presence, retrieved the two plastic bags which contained cannabis amounting to 210 grams.

No CARICOM consensus on US Jerusalem motion
Caribbean Community (CARICOM) countries were divided Thursday on whether or not to support the decision by the United States to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. CARICOM member countries were divided in their approach to voting at the United Nations on the US decision to recognize Jerusalem as the capital city of Israel.

One dead in accident near Belize/Guatemala border
Police have released information on a fatal road traffic accident, which occurred last night. According to police, around 6:45 p.m., Benque Viejo police visited the George Price highway near the Belize western border. When cops arrived, officers observed a Hispanic man lying on the highway , apparently dead with a large cut wound to the left side of the head and left side of neck.

American woman found dead inside rental car
An American woman was found dead and badly decomposing inside her rented vehicle yesterday morning. Police say that around 11:50 a.m., police were on mobile patrol on the Placencia Peninsula main road situated between Seine Bight and Placencia.

Blogs

Christmas Eve Sunday Morning Walk in Corozal
Today is Christmas Eve in Belize and many went to church to celebrate the day before Jesus Birth. I walked around town and some businesses where still opened. I heard Christmas Music from the distance, I saw the tacos places full, and lots of discounts where offered by businesses for those who came by to buy for the Christmas Holiday tomorrow the 25th of December. Everyone will be with their loved one's sharing joyful laugh's and gifts exchange. Many other varying cultural traditions and experiences are also associated with Christmas Eve around the world, including the gathering of family and friends, the singing of Christmas carols, the illumination and enjoyment of Christmas lights, trees, and other decorations, the wrapping, exchange and opening of gifts, and general preparation for Christmas Day.

Christmas weekend in Corozal
On Saturday December 23rd, 2017 I went for a morning walk in the Bay of Corozal. Their was many people coming to buy in town for the Christmas Holiday in Corozal. I walked by in town and heard Christmas Music from the distance played by a local business. Some are giving discounts and some businesses will be open until Christmas Eve. The weather in Corozal was very humid. I Wasn't feeling that Cold Crisp cold front you feel in Belize in December. Usually, its always cold at this time of the year. For those who want's to escape the snow winter hey, this place is to be right now. I saw many people swimming on the water and going out with their boats. Some where just chilling at hang out spots like Jam Rock, Scotty's, Bay Breeze. I managed to take photo's until I finished. Corozal has many activities to do when you visit here. December is a month that high season start's to pick up in Belize. Snorkeling, Maya ruins, Butterfly farm, Old Sugar Factory in Libertad Some suggestions.

International Sourcesizz

Belize Exploration- Independence, Zoo and More!
It was an Independence Day celebration in Belize! The Chicken Foot Eating Contest in Corazol, Belize was a big deal, and then things got really exciting! We drove to Orange Walk Town and camped along the shores of the river just in time for the fun of the Belize Independence Day celebration! This event includes a local carnival with rides and games, political speeches, fireworks and a huge parade. Here are some highlights from these events, with photo captions. Behind us is the largest flag in the country of Belize. The man on the stage is extremely intoxicated. He is shouting "this is all for the people" and "I am going to go home now" and waving his arms around excitedly!

The Third Shanghai Archaeology Forum opened, World's Major archaeological discoveries and researches announced
Belizean recognized at The Third Shanghai Archaeology Forum - Dr. Jaime Awe, Field Discovery Award for "The Discovery and Political Significance of the A9 Tomb and Hieroglyphic Panels 3 and 4 at Xunantunich, Belize"

Videos

• Seasons Greetings from the San Pedro Mayor, 1.5min. It is incredible at how fast the year went by. What a great year we have had here in our Isla Bonita. This past year has been a year of many accomplishments but also of challenges – challenges that only bring us closer together and more united every time. My wish for everyone this year is the hope that families continue to spend time together and with their friends. Let us all remember that we are a blessed community and the greatest gift we could share this season is to serve one another. May I ask you all to remember your neighbors at this time of year, especially the elderly and those who live alone.

• Belize Mayan ruins, 4min.

• San Ignacio & Iguanas, Belize, 2min. People have asked me what it's like staying in a hostel. Here is a pretty typical hostel we stayed at in San Ignacio, Belize. We had our own beds in a 4-dorm room which cost us $14 a night each. There is usually a kitchen, communal space, and a couple bathrooms that are shared amongst everyone. If you are ever in San Ignacio, visit the Iguana Sanctuary nearby. They rehabilitate injured Iguanas and have successfully implemented an Iguana breeding program. The entrance was $9.

• Mayan Chocolate in Belize, 2min. Chocolate was the Maya's gift to the world but people recognize places like Switzerland and Belgium for their chocolate and chocolatiers. Really, 80 - 90% of the production is actually done in southern Belize by local and indigenous communities. Southern Belize actually accounts for over 80% of the world's chocolate. We learned how to make a Mayan chocolate drink, the traditional way to serve and prepare it, stemming back hundreds of years and is still practiced today.

• The Belize Zoo 2017, 2min. If you find yourself in Belize City, take a local bus out to the Belize Zoo. Bus fare was $3 US or $6 BZ each way. It's more of a sanctuary that rehabilitates and nurtures injured, sick and/or abandoned animals. I hate the term zoo because it usually means sad, lonely and depressed animals. This place could not be farther from that. The price was $15 US or $30 BZ. Its a great way to spend a day in Belize City if you are traveling on a budget.

• The Belize Zoo, 4min.

• Harvest Caye, Belize Norwegian (NCL) Private Island Aerial Tour with DJI Spark Drone, 1min.

• Stroud Belize Snorkelling 2017, 3min.

• Coco Plum Island Resort - Belize, 3min. Promotional video for Coco Plum Island Resort in Belize