Re: Six Years for Teen Burglar from San Pedro [Re: Marty] #528121
01/05/18 10:19 PM
01/05/18 10:19 PM
Ambregris Caye
A
AC Lover Offline
AC Lover  Offline
A
Safecracker..........'Rehabilitation is costly and rarely works'. This is completely untrue.
Don't you people understand that this young man's life is basically finished? He will learn nothing in prison, have a criminal record when he is released, and be unable to get a job. He will then turn to crime and may seriously hurt someone, if he doesn't get killed first.
I know rehabilitation works. I was a heroin addict from an upper middle class home. Very expensive doctors couldn't help me. I finally went to the most important and influential drug and alcohol rehabilitation community in the country. I was so moved by the incredible work they did that I chose to stay, which I did for 18 years, and help other people like myself. I became a member of the Board of Directors and was the individual responsible for the rehabilitation and re-education of the 15,000 drug addicts, alcoholics and juvenile delinquents who came to our communities. My colleagues and I consulted with member of US Congress, the Senate, law enforcement professionals, health care professionals, and other executives of rehabilitation organizations throughout the US and abroad. Forty years later I can direct you to thousands of people who were rehabilitated and have led incredibly successful lives. Some are very well known individuals.
It feels like the individuals commenting on this issue, with few exceptions, have no understanding of behavioral modification. Are you taking lessons from that redneck midget Jeff Sessions? Learn to have compassion. That is not to say that criminals should not be prosecuted and put in prison when it is appropriate. They should. But in this instance we have just ended someone's life.

Re: Six Years for Teen Burglar from San Pedro [Re: AC Lover] #528122
01/05/18 11:31 PM
01/05/18 11:31 PM
Ontario,Canada
W
Welland Offline
Welland  Offline
W
AC Lover congratulations on beating your addiction for today. If someone broke into your house and stole your heritage would you show as much compassion?

Re: Six Years for Teen Burglar from San Pedro [Re: Marty] #528136
01/06/18 08:50 AM
01/06/18 08:50 AM
Ambregris Caye
A
AC Lover Offline
AC Lover  Offline
A
Welland...
The last point I made is that we need the criminal justice system, and that when punishment is appropriate it should be used. In this particular instance the punishment did not fit the crime. Also, I said in an earlier post that I had been robbed numerous times in my life and it is a hideous violation. Once I caught the thieves and I made certain they were prosecuted fairly.

Re: Six Years for Teen Burglar from San Pedro [Re: Welland] #528138
01/06/18 09:06 AM
01/06/18 09:06 AM
San Pedro AC Belize
Diane Campbell Offline
Diane Campbell  Offline
["quote=Welland]AC Lover congratulations on beating your addiction for today. "

IMHO - That was a nasty, ignorant remark.

Richard shared something very important - and he deserves sincere respect for overcoming something very destructive.

Re: Six Years for Teen Burglar from San Pedro [Re: Diane Campbell] #528141
01/06/18 10:31 AM
01/06/18 10:31 AM
Ontario,Canada
W
Welland Offline
Welland  Offline
W
Originally Posted by Diane Campbell
["quote=Welland]AC Lover congratulations on beating your addiction for today. "

IMHO - That was a nasty, ignorant remark.

Richard shared something very important - and he deserves sincere respect for overcoming something very destructive.

Diane if you knew anything about addictions you would know that it was not a nasty, ignorant remark. Richard knows what I mean as I was congratulating him. Anyone in addictions only have today.

Re: Six Years for Teen Burglar from San Pedro [Re: Marty] #528143
01/06/18 12:26 PM
01/06/18 12:26 PM
S
Safecracker Offline
Safecracker  Offline
S
" But in this instance we have just ended someone's life. "

AC Lover WE have done no such thing, this guy had a choice and is now paying the price. Plenty of his peers in similar circumstance have avoided his fate, by being respectful and hardworking.

Your history with Rehab is conjecture and unproven as I am sure you know. There is enormous research to suggest that a high % of those rehabilitated would have self rehabilitated in any event.

"Life goes on despite others attempts to ruin it"
Re: Six Years for Teen Burglar from San Pedro [Re: Marty] #528144
01/06/18 01:45 PM
01/06/18 01:45 PM
M
Maya House Offline
Maya House  Offline
M
Behavioral modification, positive not negative, that comes from a place of true caring for the person as a living, breathing, human being, is the only rehabilitation that works. What a powerful life's work, Richard. I'm in awe.

Re: Six Years for Teen Burglar from San Pedro [Re: Marty] #528148
01/06/18 09:23 PM
01/06/18 09:23 PM
Ambregris Caye
A
AC Lover Offline
AC Lover  Offline
A
"Your history with Rehab is conjecture and unproven as I am sure you know. There is enormous research to suggest that a high % of those rehabilitated would have self rehabilitated in any event". Why is wrong with you Safecracker? Your statements are crazy, unverified, and untrue.
I carefully laid out facts to substantiate the true value of rehabilitation. This is not conjecture. And rehabilitation and help is what is now so desperately needed to deal with the horrific opioid crisis that exists in the US today. Last year 64,000 people died from this addiction. That's more than the number of women who died from breast cancer. Thankfully there is an awareness and willingness to help ameliorate the crisis.

Re: Six Years for Teen Burglar from San Pedro [Re: AC Lover] #528149
01/06/18 11:18 PM
01/06/18 11:18 PM
S
Safecracker Offline
Safecracker  Offline
S
AC Lover you seem to be smart/educated, this subject is and has been a debate since the history of rehabilitation began.
For every example of proof of success there is another of failure, this applies to both the USA and the UK.
Just because I take the view prison works, based on what I know, what I see and what I choose to believe of what I read, does not mean that my statements are crazy, unverified or untrue.
Neither does it mean there is anything wrong with me.
I am surprised you have to have resort to such comments when challenged about your views.

On January 18, 1989, the abandonment of rehabilitation in corrections was confirmed by the U.S. Supreme Court. In Mistretta v. United States, the Court upheld federal "sentencing guidelines" which remove rehabilitation from serious consideration when sentencing offenders. Defendants will henceforth be sentenced strictly for the crime, with no recognition given to such factors as amenability to treatment, personal and family history, previous efforts to rehabilitate oneself, or possible alternatives to prison. The Court outlined the history of the debate: "Rehabilitation as a sound penological theory came to be questioned and, in any event, was regarded by some as an unattainable goal for most cases." The Court cited a Senate Report which "referred to the 'outmoded rehabilitation model' for federal criminal sentencing, and recognized that the efforts of the criminal justice system to achieve rehabilitation of offenders had failed."

"Life goes on despite others attempts to ruin it"
Re: Six Years for Teen Burglar from San Pedro [Re: Safecracker] #528150
01/07/18 12:48 AM
01/07/18 12:48 AM
M
Maya House Offline
Maya House  Offline
M
So what?? The US system of "justice" is not based on data, but on retribution. It has not proven to be successful in any way, shape, or form. You quoted no data to support your views. When we know better, we're supposed to do better. Again, if the penal system worked, for all the decades it's been used, we'd be at zero. Not only has that not happened, the percentage of criminals has increased. So it's not working! If it's not working, doing more of it is not going to work. It's just insanity. We have proven methods that can, in fact, work. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean anything. Those of us that are actually working to solve the problem, rather than just be lazy and throw people in a broken system and look the other way, we'll actually show there is a much, much, much better way.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
August
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (bobcat bill), 185 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics71,844
Posts482,100
Members19,685
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.