Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Spending 4 nights in San Pedro followed by 2 nights in Placencia. Thinking about flying into Belmopan and whether or not it's possible to do a one-way rental down to Placencia. This would allow us a nice leisurely sightseeing day. Anyone have advice on this arrangement or whether other arrangements make more sense?

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
OP Offline
Booked flights from San Pedro to Belmopan and arranging for a rental to drive the Hummingbird Hwy to Placencia. If anyone has any "must dos" on the Hummingbird, I'm all ears. We have all day and few constraints. Thanks.

OP Offline
Anyone know of a good roadmap of Belize mainland we can take with us on our trip? Looking to pinpoint where on the Hummingbird we will want to stop so we have a general orientation.

OP Offline
Last post for me. Found a good map. If there are any ideas on must-stops along the way, let us know. Thanks

Originally Posted by Otteralum
Last post for me. Found a good map. If there are any ideas on must-stops along the way, let us know. Thanks

In Belmopan I recommend stopping in at the Art Box (on the western highway just 1/2 mile east of the city entry) - wonderful things there.

On the road ...... two must-do stops:

St. Herman's Cave - wear study shoes and take a flashlight. Lovely forest-walk in, stairs down into cave and proper walkway going into cave a distance. Not strenuous at all and very beautiful. No need for a guide. Ranger station and toilet on site.

Inland Blue Hole - just 1/4 mile farther along the road from St. Herman's Cave. Same entrance ticket gets you in both parts of the park. Take bathing suit and have a lovely swim in this cenote. Changing rooms, picnic tables and ranger station on site.

The combo of these stops can take from 1 -2 hours depending on your own pace.

OP Offline
Great! Thank you!

PS - if the ranger tells you he is out of entrance tickets ask him to look for more - this is a classic method of stealing entrance fees and I encountered it at both places along the road over Christmas holidays. Upon looking further, both rangers found tickets.

and before you turn onto the Hummingbird, continue on the Western for a very short bit more and stop in at Cheers. I know you do not imbibe in adult beverages much, but you really should do this. Your lovely wife can thank me later.....

edit: you need to backtrack a couple of miles on the Western (mile 31). Just before La Democracia and the Belize Zoo. I was thinking of the Coastal Hwy. Not been there in along tim but the ppl were fun and the beer COLD!

Last edited by klcman; 01/12/18 10:38 PM.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Good to see 3 familiar names on the board above. Happy New Year.

Dare To Deviate
OP Offline
Great feedback. Happy New Year, Chloe!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.