FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofer: Big Magic
“I’m ready to do some exploring,” I told Dave. “Maybe I’ll discover a Maya ruin while I’m out walking.” “You be careful in that jungle. It can get dangerous in a hurry. Besides that, there are some native people over in Mexico that are completely uncivilized. If you’re not a member of their tribe then you are considered the enemy.” I was visiting my friend Dave, whose ranch near La Union is right at the border of Mexico and Belize. I was still chuckling at his warnings when I suddenly found myself surrounded by dozens of short little men with spears and bows and arrows. I was in trouble.

Doctor Love: Leave My Stuff Alone
Dear Doctor Love, I am fourteen and my brother is sixteen and he has been stealing from my room for a couple of years. I have mentioned it to my parents but they just tell him to stay out and he laughs and says okay. Then he goes in when I am gone. I’ve found him in my room looking in my dresser and after he went out, I saw my money was gone from my pants pocket. He takes any snacks I have and anything else he wants. My brother is a mean person and mostly I avoid him, but he torments me enough already. If I get my parents to talk to him again, I know he will get nasty with me. I worry every time I go out and I don’t like having friends over because he is mean to them and I am scared he will take stuff from them, too. What can I do? /s/ Leave My Stuff Alone

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Estel's 7th Annual BBQ Cookoff
Join us for our 7th Annual BBQ Cook Off. We are inviting 10 grill masters to compete for the titles: Grand Champion, People's Choice, Judge's choice.

7th Annual Chili Cook Off
The 7th Annual Chili Cook Off will be held on Sunday, January 28, 2018, at 1pm at the New Millennium Restaurant in Consejo Village. The cost is bz which allows you to sample all the chili you want. Free admission to chili providers. Fundraising will include raffles. All proceeds will go to Steps into Corozal Bay in Consejo Village, the Belize School Lunch Program, and Corozal Soup Kitchen. For information, contact Kim at 600-0852.

ATLIB Championship Bash 2018
The SHJC Scorpions won the ATLIB Basketball tournament, and they are having their victory bash. It's a back to school bash at the same time. Thirsty Thursdays is the venue, and the bash is Saturday. Congratulations, Sacred Scorpions! "You've waited for it! The Official Scorpions Victory Bash is here! Saturday, January 27th, 2018 @ Thirsty Thursdays! What better way to celebrate the teams victory than Thirsty Thursday style??? Saturday January 27th come party with Dj Jago and Mr.Ros as they bring you all the LATEST AND GREATEST Hits!!! Come support your favorite basketball team."

The Wahil Kol
The H-Men(Maya Spiritual healer/Curandero) in the Village of Patchakan in Corozal giving the offering and prayers for one of the most important rituals for the Yucatec Maya the Wahil Kol . H-men are known to cure sickness with herbs,also cure mal aire and mal de ojo . They also lead the prayers done in the Maya language and Offerings for the Northern Maya people of Belize when doing traditions like Cha Chaac Primicias and Wahil Kol . One of the most known H-men was Nojoch Mak Agustin Cawich (R.I.P) from San Pablo village Orange Walk. His knowledge continues with his student the H-men Ricardo Acosta from Xaibe (Corozal) .

Blogs

Truck Stop’s Amazing Race 2 Finished Yesterday: Now YOU Can Play Along
Yesterday on a cool grey January afternoon, the Truck Stop – Ambergris Caye’s hottest spot for fun, food and entertainment, brought out about 75 FIERCE competitors to fight for the top spot in the…I arrived just as the game was about to begin and the intensity…the competition…was palpable. Teams in costumes and matching t-shirts limbered up as they listened… With a $1000bzd cash prize for the winning team announced and some ground rules laid out to the participants, the secret first clue was handed out. NO PEEKING UNTIL THE HORN GOES OFF! I headed to my station. Here it is. Mysterious, right? As a clue monitor, I would be sitting at the last spot – to check off teams as they arrived, to call into the organizers. I haven’t had this much responsibility in AGES!

International Sourcesizz

Belcampo re-launched as Copal Tree Lodge to eco-travellers in Belize
California-based Belcampo has re-launched its eco-resort in southern Belize under the name Copal Tree Lodge. As part of the rebranding, the lodge is proud to partner with anew farm-to-flask initiative: Copal Tree Distillery, located adjacent to the hotel. Copal Tree Distillery is an initiative to support sustainable agriculture causes in Belize via producing and selling premium organic spirits. As part of this re-brand from Belcampo Belize to Copal Tree Lodge, Muy’Ono Hospitality will provide resort management services to the lodge. The intimate resort, situated within the tropical canopy of Punta Gorda, provides luxury accommodations to those seeking a retreat among one of the world’s most pristine natural environments.

How gourmet chocolate enriches the lives of smallholder farmers
Chocolate once reigned supreme in Central America: The Mayans considered it the food of the gods, and they used cocoa beans as a form of currency. But the birthplace of chocolate has benefitted little from the chocolate boom — despite that this is where most of the world’s purest and most flavorful beans, criollo beans, come from. Indeed, while Ghana produces more than 40 percent of the world’s cocoa, Belize and Guatemala combine for only about 1 percent of global production, leaving its indigenous producers on the sideline. But that’s changing as gourmets come to appreciate both the higher quality of criollo beans, which account for less than 3 percent of world production, and the importance of buying from chocolatiers that treat their suppliers right. With this new trend, initiatives such as Uncommon Cacao (named for the cacao plant that provides the raw material for the cocoa we buy in stores) have found an enormous opportunity to revive chocolate production in countries with a rich tradition of cocoa cultivation such as Belize and Guatemala.

The 12 best scuba diving destinations in the world
Jerry Seinfeld famously joked that the only goal of scuba diving is to “not die.” Despite the risk, however, there are millions of devotees worldwide who believe the access this extreme sport provides to extraordinary underwater landscapes and the interaction it enables with the unusual sea creatures who populate the ocean’s depths make the experience worth the risks. Certified divers may start small with their explorations, but many chase white whales, so to speak, when it comes to dive destinations worldwide. Below, find some of the best spots in the world for spotting sharks, shipwrecks, and (peacock mantis) shrimps. (Google that last one and you won’t be sorry.) Suffice it to say, when it comes to analog travel experiences, it doesn’t get more unplugged than these. The Great Blue Hole is basically a collapsed, underwater cave formation off of the coast of Belize. Back in 1971, dive pioneer Jacques Cousteau named it one of his top 10 deep-sea destinations in the world. Divers flock here to marvel at the giant stalagmites and stalactites (hello, elementary school science class!) and swim with Caribbean reef sharks, the occasional hammerhead, and other wildlife. Different dives are available for all levels of expertise.

The Top 35 Places to Travel in 2018
AD consulted with the industry's leading experts to uncover the hottest destinations for design lovers in the new year.

Videos

• Realm of the Serpent, 49min. People and Snakes. Snake behaviour and people interactions with snakes. Snakes from all over the world. by Carol Farneti Foster

• Night Stalkers, 30min. Bats in Central America, by Carol Farneti Foster

• Phantoms of the Night, 27min. Scientists difficulties and rewards of discovery bat biology in Central America. by Carol Farneti Foster

• THIS IS BELIZE PT1, 21min. Cool promotional videos for Belize from the 1980's

• THIS IS BELIZE PT2, 7min. Cool promotional videos for Belize from the 1980's

• Honeymooning - Belize 2017, 3min.

• Belize 2018, 4min. Miles Family in Placencia, Belize

• Trip to Belize - Part 1, 7min.

• Young and Wild in Belize, 4min.

• Vlog| Belize Family Trip, 1min.

• BELIZE MONKEY RIVER ECO TOUR January 2018, 13min. This is a compilation of some photographs and video from our Monkey River Eco tour from Placencia, Belize, Central America. It was a fabulous experience and our guide Derwin was phenomenal. We loved every moment of it and would do it again! When in Belize you have to see the monkeys!

• Belize san pedro spearfishing and lobster hunting, 3min. 2018 freediveing spearfishing.

• Belize 2018 Davis Family Adventure, 7min. Our family of five goes on the trip of a lifetime! A 10 day trek through the country of Belize. First, Flying into Belize City. Then, riding in a water taxi over to Caye Caulker. After that, we rented a car to drive the country side of San Ignacio. Finished off our journey venturing down to Placencia.

• Waterfall adventure in belize, 4min. Riding my atv up the hill towards the beautiful waterfall in belize.

• New River Belize, 2.5min.

• St. Herman’s Cave Belize, 9min. Cave Tubeing.

• Morelets Crocodile on the New River in Belize, 1min.

• Green Family Trip to Belize 2017, 13min.

• Belize-Drive to Secret Beach, 1.5min. Ambergris Caye, Belize.

• 2017 | Fall | Belize Road trip to Guatemala border Melcher, 7.5min. Driving through Belize countryside and getting close to Melcher Guatemala border.

• Belize Tour Guide of the New River in Belize, 8min. Our tour guide giving us the history of the New river in Belize on our way to Lamanai Mayan ruins in Dec 2017

• Belize-Swimming with Fishes, 2min. Hol Chan Marine Reserve, Ambergris Caye, Belize.

• Belize-El Norte Beach Drive, 5min. Ambergris Caye, Belize.

• Police United FC vs Placencia Assassins FC, 3hr.