FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Wanted for the murder of Melvin Almendarez, Jordan Bacchus is arrested in Canada
Canadian fugitive Jordan Bacchus, wanted for the murder of island resident Melvin Almendarez, was arrested in Ontario Canada on February 2nd on unrelated charges. Bacchus was detained along with a woman during a drug bust at a residence in northern Ontario by the Greater Subdury Police. After being processed for the drug offense, Sudbury Police state that he can then be extradited to Belize. Melvin Almendarez was found dead on May 6, 2016, at a feeder road in Southern Ambergris Caye. During the initial investigations, Bacchus was detained as the prime person of interest since he was the last person seen with Almendarez. He was also charged with Possession of Controlled Drugs upon his arrest. However, he was later released on bail. A week later Police issued a warrant for his arrest, but Bacchus had apparently left the country and remained at large.

Wolfe’s Woofer: Funeral
“Will you get my long pants and a decent shirt out for me?” “Why are you wearing your good dress clothes today?” Sherry asked. “Are you going to a wedding without me?” “No. It’s a funeral.” “Oh, yes. Your fishing buddy, Don Emilio. I forgot. Isn’t he Mario’s uncle?” “Yes. As a matter of fact, I’m sitting with the family because Emilio and I caught a lot of fish together over the years.” “From what I hear of the old man, he caught a lot of other things over the years.”

Doctor Love: The Nose Knows and Faithful
Dear Doctor Love, When is it okay to tell someone they have bad breath? I have a good friend who eats so much garlic that talking with her is almost impossible because of her breath. I don’t want to hurt her feelings, but she works with the public and I know others smell it too. /s/ The Nose Knows

Ambergris Today

Man Wanted For Melvin Almendarez Murder In San Pedro Detained In Toronto Canada
Investigations into the vicious killing of San Pedro football star and popular coach, Melvin Almendarez, 34, in May 2016, lead to the arrest of Jordan Bacchus, 32. He was released on a drug charge but later fled the country after strong evidence from the police indicated that Bacchus could be linked to his murder. On February 3, 2018, the Toronto Sun reported that Bacchus has been arrested in Canada after a drug bust. Melvin Almendarez had been beaten and shot in his abdomen and investigations led them to the victim’s friend, Jordan Bacchus, 32, a Canadian who is wanted for questioning. The Police took Bacchus into custody after Almendarez was found dead, but only because they had found him in possession of cannabis, so they charged him for possession of the controlled drugs. He was released on self-bail.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Caye Caulker Cleanup
Councillor Neal and Foreman Tigga took their Sunday to work the streets, they would like to say thank you to all the members of the community who gave them a small token of appreciation today while working. Community members gave water, soda, cold drinks, lunch and positive remarks. Working hand in hand for a better Caye Caulker.

Benque Rotaract Named Club of the Year
Congratulations, Rotaract Club of Benque! They were named club of the year. They do so many great community service projects. Well deserved. Rotaract club of Benque Viejo was awarded for club of the year 2017- 2018 for Rotaract Belize. Thank you to all the member for hard work and our supporters.

Kindy take note of Archeological site closures
MONDAY 5 FEBRUARY 2018: THE ATM AND NOHOCH CHEEN ARCHAEOLOGICAL RESERVE ARE OPEN THE XUNANTUNICH ARCHAEOLOGICAL RESERVE IS OPEN WITH PEDESTRIAN CROSSING ONLY AT THE FERRY. ALL OTHER ARCHAEOLOGICAL RESERVES REMAIN OPEN. PLEASE EXERCISE CAUTION AT ATM -A WORK CREW IS CLEARING THE TRAILS PLEASE EXERCISE CAUTION AT NOHOCH CHEEN - THE RECENT FLOOD HAS CREATED SOME CHANGES IN THE RIVER LEVELS.

EL EVANGELIO DE QUETZALCOATL-KUKULKAN
Today we will share the teachings of Quetzalcoatl the Shaman King,The Prophet who apolish Human Sacrifice and taugth love to to our ancestors . The Yucatec Maya call him Kukulkan . Today many call him or see him as the Indigenous Christ/Native Christ . Quetzalcoatl promise to return one day and bring back the glory to his people .

The Reporter

MOH continues crackdown on pharmaceuticals
This week, the Ministry of Health continued its efforts to strengthen controls on pharmaceuticals in Belize by publishing its first list of over the counter medications for general use. The list contains 27 line items citing specific medications or specific classes of medications which includes things like petroleum jelly, Ibuprofen, paracetamol, mineral oil, oral vitamins, oral rehydration salts, Methyl salicylate, and isopropyl alcohol. “Note that this is a provisional first list and the Director of Health Services will be reviewing this list continuously while making necessary modifications as we aim to keep the safety of the consumers as our primary principle,” the Ministry said.

Belize celebrates World Cancer Day 2018
Today marks the 12th celebration of World Cancer Day, a global event used to raise awareness about various aspects of cancer including the most common types and risk factors World Cancer Day, celebrated annually since 2006, is the brainchild of the Union for International Cancer Control and endorsed by the World Health Organization. During the day, government bodies and NGO’s hold various activities to highlight the fight against cancer either by supporting those who are battling it or saluting those that have died because of it.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

PUP holds National Women’s Forum
Today, women that pledged support to the opposition People’s United Party (PUP) converged at the Belmopan Civic Center for their first ever Women’s Forum. The event brought together women from across Belize and women experts in different fields who made presentations on health, law, education and women leadership.

Canadian fugitive wanted for murder in Belize caught in Toronto
Canadian National Jordan Bacchus, 28, has been a fugitive at large since May 2016 when he was accused of the murder of Melvin Almendarez in Belize. Since he fled Belize he has kept a low profile.

International Sourcesizz

The Trials of Simone Biles: ‘I’m Still Stuck in My Thoughts All the Time’
The greatest gymnast of all time—with four gold medals at the 2016 Olympics in Rio—opens up about “attending” college, training for 2020, and the villainy of Larry Nassar. My heart is so full…but I also just wanna cry all the time. These are not the sentiments one would expect from Simone Biles, the greatest gymnast to ever live. In public, the four-time Olympic gold medalist lights up every room she walks into or red carpet she struts down with her infectious smile and sports-legend charisma. She may be 4-foot-eight, but she is truly larger than life. (Having all-too-briefly basked in her presence, I can attest to this.) Lately, however, the 20-year-old has been coming to terms with the abuse she suffered at the hands of Larry Nassar, the former USA Gymnastics doctor who stands accused of molesting over 265 girls—including numerous members of the USA Women’s Gymnastics team—and who will spend the rest of his life in prison. Biles came forward with her story on January 15th, in a note posted to Twitter accompanied with the #MeToo. It read, in part: “Most of you know me as a happy, giggly, and energetic girl. But lately…I’ve felt a bit broken and the more I try to shut off the voice in my head the louder it screams. I am not afraid to tell my story anymore. I too am one of the many survivors that was sexually abused by Larry Nassar…After hearing the brave stories of my friends and other survivors, I know that this horrific experience does not define me. I am much more than this.”

Tip from North Bay police led to arrest
It was a tip from North Bay's Street Crime Investigation Unit that led Greater Sudbury Police to arrest a man Friday who is wanted in Belize for murder, North Bay Police report. Greater Sudbury Police say it turns out the accused man is wanted for armed robbery by Toronto cops and has been sought by homicide investigators in Belize for nearly two years. Officers executed a search warrant at a residence on Kelvin St., Drug Squad Det.-Sgt. James Killeen said in a statement released Saturday, explaining a man and a woman from Toronto were arrested.

Sujuy Ts'ono'ot
Sujuy Ts'ono'ot is a online Magazine edited in the Maya Masewal Zone in Mexico . This is their first NO.1 El Arte de los territorios en Resistencia . Us Maya Masewal(Yucatec Maya) of Belize have alot in common with our Maya Masewal Brothers in Quintana Roo(Mex) since we are same "Pueblo Maya" just divided by colonialism . To read the Magazine click link

Videos

• Talk Ah Di Town February 3, 2018, 45min.

• Ant Death Spiral, 10sec. I have actually seen this on tv. It has something to do with they way they lay down the scent trail. It ends up going in a circle and the ants just keep following it. I think they said the ants will follow it in.they drop dead.

• Miss J.Million's Latest Release "Dream", 4min.

• Team Trip 2018 Belize, 4.5min. Our annual Modern Tribe migration took place in Belize this year including 74 amazing team members and a ton of work and festivities.

• Angie and Ross Miller Highlight Vid, 3min. Angie and Ross Miller were married in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize on January 13, 2018.

• Going fishing to rocky point in San Pedro Belize ends with a fish BBQ, 14min.

• Belize Shark Feeding, 2min.

• Barrière de corail du Belize, 3.5min.

• Spotted Eagle Ray - Belize It 2018, .5min. My dad and I went snorkelling off of South Water Caye in Belize.

• Dolphins Play in the Wake of our Boat in Belize!, 3min. Dolphins in the Old Belize River in Belize couldn't resist playing in the wake of our boat, jumping around and giving us a great show!

• Belize 2004, 4min. Diving with friends in the Caribbean.

• Diving Lighthouse Reef Belize, 4min. Scuba diving for a week at Lighthouse Reef. With Itza Lodge, Long Caye. January 2018.

• Backpacking Through Belize, 35min.

• Zip Lining in BELIZE, 12min.

• Belize & Guatemala Mayan Temple Sharks snorkeling w/ drone footage, 9min. Belize: trip break down, 3days on mainland then off the coast into ambergris caye .

• San Pedro Pirates FC vs BDF FC, 2.5hr. San Pedro Wins 2-1

• Do you know your Belize Flag?, 1min.