Belize City’s Mayor Bradley Heads for Exit, Handing over to City Admin

The Belize City Council dissolves at the end of the month, exactly one week after nominations from political parties take place in a bid to succeed the present administration.  February twenty-eighth is also the last day for Mayor Darrell Bradley to remain in office, before municipal elections on March seventh.  Those two weeks will be a critical transition period at City Hall when the two-term mayor is expected to formally relinquish his duties to the city administrator until a new council is elected.  Prior to doing so, Mayor Bradley has compiled what he calls handing-over notes, a combination of personal views and experiences, which he handed over to Candice Miller, whose contract renewal has been the subject of debate over the past few days.  Bradley’s initial oath of office was administered by Miller in her capacity as city administrator in 2012 and her contract expires until 2022.  This morning, at a lengthy press conference, the mayor says that Belize City can take full advantage of his experiences in office.

Darrell Bradley, Belize City Mayor

“I will be turning over to the city administrator and the technical staff handing-over notes and these contain what are essentially my personal perspective, feedback, ideas, areas of focus that we have undertaken over the last six years, and then also areas of challenges, and areas which I believe that the new council needs to focus on.  Of course, I will not disappear after March seventh.  I will be available for advice, for counsel, for whatever kind of engagement or association that the council may need.  But again, these notes are basically my way of giving my perspective and experience to this institution.  I was very grateful to receive a mandate from the city administrator who actually swore me into office and I heard some disquiet in members of the media, but it is a great strength of this organization that six years later I will hand that back to the city administrator; that never before in the history of this city has a mayor come into office, serve two terms and leave office with that very same city administrator.  That means that we are doing something right with our staff.  We are creating what we consider a public service of the municipality which is a great benefit to our council.  So that these will be formal notes, they’re typewritten.  It is not a technical report, it is more of a personal reflection to my experience and where I think the council needs to go forward and that the spirit of it is that I think the city would benefit from the experience of people who have served here before.”

Channel 5