BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#529803 04/10/18 03:50 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Is there any date projected for the completion of the air strip at Caye Caulker? Just wondering as I begin planning our annual Belize trip!

N
N
Many completion dates have been given, including Easter 2018. I'd say it's anyone's guess. I would hope to fly but be prepared to take the water taxi, no matter when you're coming.

B
B
In speaking with the Project Manager when the work began, in earnest, about a month and a half ago, the hope was to be completed by the end of June, 2018. They are working 7 days a week and supposedly 24 hours/day. I'm not inclined to drive over there at 3am to see if that is true, but, aside from Easter holidays, they have been churning up dust ever time I have been by there, no mater the time of day or day of week. Hopefully that will result in a June 30 finish date!

K
K
Any update on how this is coming along?

B
B
Just rode my bike past the airstrip and caught a couple of workers having lunch. It appears the base of the landing strip has been laid, leveled, compressed and prepped for asphalt (hot mix?) to be laid. According to the workers, they will be bringing portable asphalt making machinery to the caye and setting it up in the next week. They believe that asphalt will begin being applied within the next 2 weeks.

Time will tell!

However, the estimated completion date of the project when it started was end of June. If the project is completed within the next 4 weeks, the project will have come in a month behind schedule. In "island time" that is about 6 months early!!! Heck, in the good Ole US of A, a project like this being only a month late is a freaking Miracle!!!

Hopefully a better job is done than the municipal airport not a year old and failing already!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day