FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofer: Fishing Stories
“Three large coffees, please.” I told the lady at Celi’s Deli. By the time I walked over to the deck of the Holiday Hotel Mario was already walking up from the beach. “Good morning, Mr. Dennis. I need that coffee this morning. The snappers is running so I went fishing last night and didn’t get in until three a.m.” Mario is my friend and he’s my yardman, when he feels like working. This morning he and Vernon were scheduled to plant two large palm trees for me. When Vernon arrived, he looked like he hadn’t had much sleep either.

Doctor Love: Prom Hopeful
Dear Doctor Love, I have asked this girl out twice and both times she turned me down. She says she likes older guys because they are more mature and the guys at school are immature and stupid. She crushes on older guys who don’t even notice her and ignores guys who like her just because they are her age. How can I get her to notice that I am not stupid or immature? /s/Prom Hopeful

Ambergris Today

Earth Day 2018 Marks Countdown To Phase Out Of Single-Use Plastics
Earth Day is an annual event celebrated on April 22nd. Each year Earth Day is celebrated under a theme, and this year’s theme is simple: End Plastic Pollution. There’s no question that plastic pollution is poisoning our oceans and land, injuring marine life, and affecting our health! This couldn’t come at a better time for Belize with the government’s recent announcement to phase out of single use plastic shopping bags, Styrofoam and plastic food utensils by Earth Day 2019! Worldwide, various events are held to demonstrate support for environmental protection. First celebrated in 1970, Earth Day events in more than 192 countries are now coordinated globally by the Earth Day Network ran by president Kathleen Rogers.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Exploring Indigenous Cultures Familiarization Tour
Photos by the Belize Tourism Board

The Reporter

Pioneer in meat pie business passes
News has been received of the death of Dario Hernandez, a pioneer in the meat pie business in Belize. Popularly known by his first name Dario, Hernandez passed away on Saturday night. He had been operating his business at 33 Hyde’s Lane in Belize City for at least 35 years. His meat pies were popular throughout the country and beyond. The Reporter will have a full story on this pioneer in our printed edition later this week. Our condolences go out to the Hernandez family.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Cuba has a new president
While Cuba has a new president, who is preparing to do new things in the country, friendly relations with Belize will remain unchanged, according to to Cuban Ambassador to Belize Lissette Perez.

Belizean fisherman still in Guatemalan custody
Belizean fisherman, Iginio Canto Bacab, who has been detained in Guatemala for attempting to smuggle illegal lobster almost a week ago, should appear in court tomorrow according to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Belize.

Owner of Dario’s meat pies passes away
Last night, BBN was informed that Dario Hernandez, the owner of Dario’s Meat Pies in Belize City passed away. Hernandez was a pioneer of meat pies in Belize and had been managing the business for the last 35 years.

World celebrates Earth Day 2018
Earth Day 2018, annually observed on April 22 to demonstrate support for global conservation efforts, is being celebrated around the world with a number of volunteer projects.

Bandits’ Rilwan Salawu looking forward to second consecutive championship
Former Nigerian-American soccer star, Rilwan Salawu, who currently plays for the Belmopan Bandits said he is looking forward to helping his team win the league title for the second consecutive year.

Blogs

You can fool a Moppit some of the time but you can’t fool a Moppit all of the time
Yes, we are still here. In Belize, until Thursday. Getting to San Miguel de Allende with a little dog and six formidable suitcases in tow (still an estimate) will be quite a coup from my perspective. I turn out to be very good at perspective, while Rose is, in fact, even better at actually scheduling things like planes (2) transport vans (2), and hotels (1). Meanwhile, I have been studying YouTube videos on how to lovingly coax your little dog into an even littler carrier. I just finished a 9-minute video in which the rather attractive woman spent seven of those minutes telling us, me, how lovely and obedient her own little Muffie is.

Videos

• San Pedro locals enjoying a good afternoon of fishing, 8min.
  • Can You Belize It?, 3.5min. This trip opened my eyes to a whole new way of living. Living for 4 days on an island in the middle of the ocean was peaceful. But getting a taste of the fast pace lifestyle of a jaguar, in the jungle, was liberating as well. I absolutely fell in love with the clear blue ocean and vibrant coral reefs, so I hope you like what you see here.

• MCS Belize 2018, 3.5min. A few highlights serving in Belize.

• Snorkeling Shark Ray Alley Hol Chan Channel in Belize, 3min.

• Jungle Adventure Guides, Toledo Belize, 1.5min. Jungle Adventure Guides, Toledo Belize. Felix and Silvester local guides out of Aguacate in southern Belize, 1 hr west of Punta Gorda.

• A beautiful Belize sunset (time lapse), 1/2min.

• Belize Now April 20, 2018, 33min. Restore Belize Steelpan Program. Pre-Opening Youth Event at the Newly Constructed Belize Civic Center. Belize Intellectual Property Office. GOB prepares for second Road Safety Project. Belize Host Inception Workshop for Green Climate Fund (GCF).

• BELIZE'S AUDREY MATURA ON BELIZE GOING TO THE INTERNATIONAL COURT OF JUSTICE (ICJ)!, 20min. This three part documentary series on Audrey Matura, the Belizean political activist and attorney who once organized in Belize for the international environmental organization, OCEANA, comes to "Belizean Legends" with much fanfare and gratititude for her candid conversation on corruption in Belizean politics and the present crisis Belize faces now with the Anglo Guatemalan Claim.

• British Army in Belize 1986, 10min. Belize 1986 - 3rd Battalion, The Queens Regiment (3 Queens) - British Infantry Battalion

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSo77_C8FkI, 7min. Our trip to Belize in April 2018.

• Belize 2018, 6min. Our Belize dive trip 2018 Lighthouse Reef.

• British Army in Belize 1986, 10min. Belize 1986 - 3rd Battalion, The Queens Regiment (3 Queens) - British Infantry Battalion.

• BDF FC vs Verdes FC, 2.5hr.