Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#530197 05/01/18 08:46 AM
OP Offline
We are coming to Ambergris Caye in a few weeks. Reading the local news has given us some concern. Are there areas that we should definitely avoid? Any tips on safety would be appreciated. We are two ladies on a sister trip.

Elaine
In general Ambergris Caye and San Pedro are safe as long as you use common sense and understand that this island is part a poor developing third world nation.
The island has a mix of locals, expats, and tourists. I am in the process of moving here now and I have not met an unfriendly person from any of the fore mentioned groups.
I have visited many places on the island but still have many areas to explore. I do not know where you plan stay during your visit, but if you limit your evening excursions to restaurants/bars or your hotel/resort areas, you will be fine. I would recommend not going out late at night at least until you become familiar with your area. Leave jewelry and expensive items at home or in your hotel. Do not carry a lot of cash and use you credit card or debit card where you can. Again, use common sense. In general, everyone is friendly but that does not mean that they will become your friend. Enjoy your visit to AC.

OP Offline
Thanks. Gary for the information. Common sense goes a long way.

W
W
Hi CG,

We have been coming there for 15 years. I have found San Pedro to be as safe as the US. On top of being genuinely friendly, I think the locals actually watch out for the tourists, they know that any bad press adversely affects tourism.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 290 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.