FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Shooting at Tropicana Restaurant
A shooting at Tropicana Restaurant, south of San Pedro Town has left one person dead. The incident took place shortly after 10PM and according to witnesses they heard around five gunshots. Police are on the scene.

Obituaries: Hallie Stumpf and Christopher Charles Cantlon
Hallie Stumpf, 80, beloved wife of Mr. Roy, entered Heaven's gates on April 26, 2018. Hallie was born in a small log cabin in Cayuga, WI. She married Roy, her high school sweetheart, on September 8, 1956. Together they started life's journey of dreams, love and happiness.
Chris loved his friends, family and his animals. He loved Belize (just to visit, not to live) and Florida. He never wanted to be cold. Chris was a free spirit, a dreamer, and an entrepreneur above all things. He accomplished so many things in his short life. From conquering dyslexia and migraine headaches to making many wonderful friends even though his anxiety made it extremely difficult for him to meet people. His family believes that his friends will miss his great smile and laugh more and more as they age.

Wolfe's Woofer: Pain
"I retired last month and I came down here looking for a place to settle down." The man sitting at the table next to mine on the deck at the Holiday Hotel had introduced himself as Allen. "What kind of work did you do, Allen?" "I worked on the bomb squad in Washington, D.C. That's how I got this." When he held up his left hand I noticed two fingers were missing. "Ooh!" I said. "That must have been painful."

Environmental and indigenous rights activist to receive WWF's top youth conservation award
Nina Gualinga, an indigenous woman leader of the Kichwa community of Sarayaku in the Ecuadorian Amazon, is the recipient of this year's WWF International President's Youth award. An advocate for climate justice and indigenous rights since the age of eight, the award recognizes Nina's relentless efforts to protect nature and communities in the Amazon at a time when the region is under unprecedented threat from unsustainable use and exploitation. "Today as biodiversity declines and the natural systems that sustain us come under increasing pressure, the courage, determination and leadership shown by Nina and her community inspires us all. This drive to protect nature - the living fabric that underpins our well-being and prosperity - is

Doctor Love: Baby Bomb
Dear Doctor Love, I have been in a relationship for four years and everything seemed to be wonderful until my girlfriend turned thirty. Then without warning, she wanted a baby. It is all she talks about. We've never even discussed it but I don't feel that driving need to have a child. She's agreed to let me think about it but she hinted that she can get pregnant without my consent. Now I am worried she might go off the pill, so sex is tense if we have it all. I wonder if it is time for me to leave but I would like to save our relationship if possible. /s/Baby Bomb

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

36th Annual Cashew Festival was over the weekend at Crooked Tree Village
Lots of festivities, activities and demonstrations of roasting the delicious nut! Also unique souvenirs brought to you by local artisans.

Disappearing forest
In Guatemala the Chiquibul Maya Mountains Biosphere Reserve together with its buffer zone is 305,501.95 acres. This borders Belize's Chiquibul-Maya Mountains. But due to a lack of governance and human settlements almost the entire forest in that reserve has disappeared.

Show and tell on historic and Maya artifacts
The Institute of Archaeology joins Dr Eleanor Harrison-Buck at the Cashew Fest in Crooked Tree doing show and tell on historic and Maya artifacts as well introducing the soon to be opened Crooked Tree Museum and Cultural Heritage Center.

The Reporter

Forum planned for youths at risk of sexual violence
The level of sexual violence against youths, how they react to such situations, and what kind of help they can seek will be the main focus this week, during round table meetings planned by the Nancy Marin Youth Foundation in San Ignacio town, Cayo. The Foundation's Executive Director, Nancy Marin, along with Moderator, Sofia Jawed-Wessel, PhD, MPH and coordinators are planning two days of discussions with relevant parties to discuss sexual violence that affect youths, with a view to educating those who are vulnerable. […]

Restaurant robbed at gunpoint in Belmopan
A business establishment was robbed at gunpoint on Saturday night. Police say that they responded to a report just before 10:00 p.m., at Samsung Restaurant on Nim Li Punit Street in Belmopan. Upon their arrival, the owner, Ya Yong Ma reported that a few minutes earlier three men, includibg one with a handgun, entered the restaurant and the one with the pointed the weapon at her and demanded money. […]

Fire at Mile 8 GP highway
A fire was reported an hour ago near Mile 8 community on the George Price highway. The small one-flat wooden structure was seen with flames coming from the back portion.

Police charge man with murder for fatal stabbing
Belmopan police have arrested and charged a man with murder for the stabbing death of Luis Monge, 23, who was stabbed and killed during a fight sometime around 2:00 a.m., on Friday morning. Police arrested and charged Richard Hyde, 35, a butcher of Camalote village, Cayo for the crime. Monge and another man, Dennis Monterroso had suffered stab wounds on Zultana Street in Belmopan, where they had caught up with a man who had just robbed his friend of her chain. The robbery reportedly occurred in the yard of La Cabana night club on the outskirts of Belmopan. […]

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Millions upon millions: GOB loses $20 million in another court battle
This morning around 6, tensions at the Belize- Guatemala western border were heightened as members of the Belize Defense Force (BDF) were deployed to the Belize Custom's area. [�]

Tensions heightened at Belize-Guatemala western border?
This morning around 6, tensions at the Belize- Guatemala western border were heightened as members of the Belize Defense Force (BDF) were deployed to the Belize Custom's area. [�]

6 year old injured in a Belize City shooting incident
City police are investigating a shooting incident that occurred yesterday morning in the old capital. According to police, yesterday around 10, they went to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital and saw six-year-old Lemar Orellano with an injury to the upper right side of his back. [�]

Blogs

Launch of CC+L Summer Magazine and A FANTASTIC New Way to Follow Belize
Last week, I did one of my favorite things. I flew to Belize City� �for the launch of CC+L Magazine, Caribbean Culture and Lifstyle: The Belize Edition. The media, representatives of the tourism board, lots of supporters from Chef Sean Kuylen to Charlies Jones from Koko King and Raggamuffin Tours in Caye Caulker and some special invited guests. Tanya McNab, the powerhouse behind McNab Publishing and this magazine, in pink and the First Lady of Belize, Ms. Kim Simplis-Barrow, beautiful in yellow. They unveiled the new cover - a photo taken on the Macal River at Chaa Creek Lodge. One of the most heavenly resorts on the planet.

Videos

• , 1/2min. We are at Cayo Rosario protesting the proposed destruction of the area. This area sits inside the Hol Chan marine reserve. No to the over the water structures inside our reserve. The general public is invited to the lions den on Tuesday @ 5-30 . Topic to be discussed is Cayo Rosario.

• Golden Fronted Woodpecker, 1/4min.

• Ahmadiyya Basketball League Belize Junior Basketball Finals, 3.5hr.

• Fishing croc infested water and night fishing Ambergris Caye Belize, 10min. t was just another fun day fishing guys you no have to catch a lot of fish you just got to enjoy the outdoors.

• Skydive Great Blue Hole and Belize, Caye Chapel, 8.5min. Incredible skydiving footage above the Great Blue Hole, the islands Caye Chapel and Caye Caulker. Belize 2018. This event was organised by Tsunami Skydivers from Rich Grimm. One of my best and most impressive skydives ever.

• Sail Away Belize, 4min.

• Belize 2018, 3min. Viaje a Belize en los primeros dias de Mayo de 2018 con Piedad, Camilo, Carolina, Andres, Tania, Angela, Carmen, Juan de Dios, Sandra, Camilo Duque, Luzma, Camilo Mejia y Bibiana

• Our trip to Belize 2018, 5min.

• Scuba Cypress Cave Belize, 2.5min.

• Cypress Cave Belize, 6min.

• Crossing Borders - How to cross your van into Belize?, 8min. Crossing new borders with a converted van is always sketchy. You never know what to expect and this means a lot of stress. This is why we did this video and show you guys how to process from Chetumal, Mexico into Belize.

• � Prova de Tudo Na Floresta de Belize - Full HD, 43min. No Brasil Bear Grylls � dublado por Wendell Bezerra (Famoso por dublar Goku na s�rie Dragon Ball e Bob Esponja em Bob Esponja Cal�a Quadrada) dos est�dios Alamo.

• Dolphin & Shark, 3min. Belize 2018

• Turtles, 4min. Belize 2018

• THINKING ABOUT TRAVELLING TO COROZAL, 2min. Corozal is easy to reach by road or by air. From Belize City it is a two-hour car drive. Belize's domestic airlines offer flights daily between Corozal, San Pedro and Belize City. There are no direct flights to Corozal so expect a short layover in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye or Tower Hill, Orange Walk. If you are travelling overland from Mexico you can cross the border by bus or car to reach Corozal. Car rentals and bus service are both available, however, most lodges provide transfer service and can pick up visitors from anywhere in Belize.