FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofer: Spots
“You’ll have to get your own dinner,” Sherry said. “I’m meeting Diane for drinks.” “That’s fine with me. I’ll just go out for something.” I was sitting at the big picnic table at my favorite taco stand when Mario and Vernon joined me. As we sat eating our food Mario said, “Vernon, what’s up with your eyes?” “What you mean what’s up with my eyes?” “You keep blinking them and every once in a while, you rub them. It ain’t them spots again is it?” “Yeah. I been seeing them again.” Vernon said. “What spots are you talking about?” I asked.

Letter to the Editor: Cayo Rosario is a burden
Dear Editor and other concerned stake holders, Please let me first introduce myself. My name is David Arnold. My wife and I own property in the Ambergris Bay Subdivision about 500 ft. south of the planned Cayo Rosario Utility Zone on Ambergris Caye. You are receiving this email as each of you have been identified, with email addresses provided, on the Cayo Rosario Consultation List of the Cayo Rosario Development Project Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) document, and I write to you as a concerned Ambergris Caye property owner, and a very concerned future resident and business owner at our property located close to the Cayo Rosario Utility Zone. Other contacts cc’d on this email were provided to me independent of the EIA.

Doctor Love: Not Selfish
Dear Doctor Love, I am an attractive widow in my early sixties. My late husband made sure I would not find myself in financial straits, and while I am not wealthy, I have no need to work or remarry in order to face the future. I have been casually dating an older divorced man who has started pressuring me to “combine our assets” as he likes to put it. He says he is fond of me and he does treat me well, we get along and have many common interests but there are no fireworks or passion. He doesn’t hide the fact that he wants someone to look after him—he hates having a cleaning woman come in, wants home cooked meals and our relationship already shows signs that I would be “the little woman”.

Ambergris Today

Police Apprehend Two Men During Fuel Station Robbery
Police reports indicate no injuries during the early evening robbery that took place at the Caribena Fuels Gas Station, located on the Corner of Blake Street and Sea Grape Drive, San Pedro Town, on Saturday, May 19, 2018. The report states that Police responded to the robbery while it was in progress at the gas station that took place around 7:15p.m. Upon arrival Police set chase after and detained two male persons in the nearby bushes.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Police Report Re: Hold up at Gas Station
On Saturday 19th May, 2018 at 7:15 p.m., Police responded to a robbery in progress at, Caribena Fuels Gas Station, Corner of Blake Street and Sea Grape Drive, San Pedro Town. Upon arrival Police set chase after and detained two male persons in the nearby bushes. Initial investigation revealed that about 7:15 p.m., Adolfo Victor Gongora Jr 33 years Belizean Pump Attendant of a San Pedro address was working along with his co-worker, Jonathan Reyes when two male persons approached him and held a knife at his throat and stole a black waist bag that contained money's from the days sale; they also stole, Reyes, waist bag that contained money's from the days sale. The total amount of money Stolen from, Reyes was $900.00 and from, Gongora $1,000.00 total $1900.00.Police are investigating.

BTIA 33rd Bi-Annual General Meeting
BTIA President, Raineldo Guerrero and the Board of Directors cordially invite all Members to our 33rd Bi-Annual General Meeting to be held in the City of Belmopan. SAVE THE DATE.

Hands Across the Sand, Corozal
Courtesy Ryan Rivera, Oceana Belize - "These pictures speak volumes. We as people are the only ones capable of defending our natural resources. Beautiful Corozal has a lot to offer and so much beauty. Together we draw a line against extreme energy and support renewable energy. Hands Across The Sand. We are the waves of change. Thank you everyone who came out. Rotaract Corozal, Scouts of Belize, Wave Makers, and special thanks to Juan Carlos Menzies for the shots as well as Nekeisha Lima from Department of Youth Services for the face painting".

Miss East Indian Pageant 2018- 2019
Would you want to represent Belize in Trinidad & Tobago at the Divali Queen Pageant on November 6, 2018? Corozal Organization of East Indian Cultural Heritage (COEICH) invites all interested Belizean young ladies of East Indian origin to participate in the upcoming Miss East Indian Pageant on July 28,2018 which will take place at the Andres Campus Civic Centre, Corozal Town at 7:00 p.m. It will undoubtedly be a fun-filled experience with fabulous prizes!

THE MAYA LEGEND OF CHECHEN (aka CHECHEM) AND CHACA TREES
A very curious rule that occurs in the jungle of the peninsula, is that where a Chechem tree is born, there is always a Chaca tree next to it, and most of the time they are a few centimeters together; they say: "for every poison, there is always an antidote". In the Maya worldview, there is a conception of the balance between good and evil and in this case, according to the Maya of the Region, it obeys an ancient Maya legend that took place thousands of years ago.

Power outage scheduled for portion Orange Walk on Wednesday, May 23 from 7:00am to 3:00pm
Areas to be affected: San Antonio Road, Price Avenue, San Francisco Street, Asuncion Street, portion Pasture Street, Dunn Street, Progress Street, Bakers Street, Muffles Street, Mahogany Street, Sapodilla Street, Zericote Street, Louisiana Road, Pineapple Street, Mayflower Street, Naranjal Street, Baytias Lane, Lover’s Lane, portion Main Street, portion Riverside Street, Queen Victoria Avenue, Bautista Avenue, Otro Benque Road, Petville, San Estevan Road and San Estevan Village. BEL to replace utility poles and conductor grips, install mid-span utility pole, and adjust high voltage power lines on Cinderella Street.

The Reporter

Several persons injured in traffic accident in Toledo
Unofficial reports are that a traffic accident this evening on the Southern highway, Toledo has left several persons injured. The accident happened at Deep river community when Maria Jackson lost control of a Ford Ranger pickup truck which she was driving. Among the injured passengers being transported to the Punta Gorda hospital are several members of Jackson’s family.

Pump attendants robbed at knifepoint
Last night, two men armed with a knife robbed two pump attendants at Caribena Fuels Gas Station, located at the corner of Blake Street and Sea Grape Drive, San Pedro town. Police say that around 7:15 p.m., two men approached Adolfo Victor Gongora and Jonathan Reyes, grabbed Gongora from behind and put the knife to his throat. The robbers stole two waist bands containing the day’s sales – $1900. So far no one has been detained as investigations continue.

Hotdog vendor robbed, murdered
A Belize City hotdog vendor is dead following an armed robbery between 3:00 and 4:00 a.m., today on Tigris Street. Police report that 44-year-old Juan Angel Vargas had just come home from his night’s sales when the incident occurred. Vargas was in front of his house in his van, when a robber approached him from behind and shot him twice, killing him on the spot. The robber stole Vargas’ wallet containing an undisclosed amount of cash and his identification cards. Police say they are investigating.

Woman dies from hit-and-run
A Belmopan woman is dead after a hit and run collision with a taxi on the George Price Highway last night. Police say that they found 30-year old Sylvia Zavala dead on the road side around 7:30 p.m. between miles 45 and 46 on the George Price Highway. Zavala had multiple body injuries and her motorcycle was damaged at the back. Reports are that was traveling From Cotton Tree Village to Belmopan when the taxi hit her from the rear and flung her from the motorcycle, causing her injuries. The taxi then drove off without offering assistance.

House of Shotokan hosts martial arts summit
Today the House of Shotokan (HOS) Karate Academy in Belize City gathered martial arts experts from Mexico and the United States for the first in what is hoped to be a series of martial arts summits. Shihan Raymond Kelly, Grand Master at the HOS hosted the event in collaboration with Master Manuel Torres, Taw Quand Do expert from Eagle Park Dojo in Mexico, and Floyd Baker, Jujitsu expert from the United States. Each sensei presented on a different aspect of their discipline, to students from Belize and around 40 students who came from Mexico for the summit. Kelly explained that the objective of the summit was to broaden the knowledge of the participants and allow them to see the benefits that each martial arts style possesses.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Belmopan woman killed in hit and run accident
Belmopan police are investigating a hit and run traffic accident in which 30-year-old Belmopan resident Silvia Zavala was killed. The accident happened around 7:30 last night near mile 45 on the George Price highway. […]

Police investigate man’s disappearance
The relatives of Oswald Arnold are concerned after he went missing on Thursday, May 17. Arnold is 20 years old. He was last seen wearing a long blue jeans pants, a blue shirt and a pair of gray tennis shoes. […]

Hot dog vendor shot dead in Belize City
Belize City police are investigating the murder of a Honduran businessman from Belize city. This morning around 4:20, police visited Tigris street and saw the lifeless body of Juan Angel Vargas, 44. […]

Blogs

CULTURAL IMMERSION WITH MAYAN COMMUNITY IN BELIZE
Belize is a small country in Central America that is rich in culture and Mayan history. I traveled to Belize to explore the vast history and to gain a better cultural understanding of how the Mayans once lived and still live today. Part of traveling sustainabally is getting to know and support local cultures, explore different ways of living and to have gain a sense of cultural understanding by living new experiences. While travel can be the most amazing and beautiful experience, sometimes negative situations can cross your path. As soon as I arrived to the Mayan Community with Patty at Splash Dive Center, I was met by a nice indigenous lady who gave me one good look up and down and lead me to her outside porch area. I briefly shared with her some of the negative things that had happened to me prior to arriving, and the look of concern overwhelmed her face.

Morning Snapshots at Ak’Bol Yoga Resort & Weekend Thoughts
It’s been a very very busy week – so it’s nice to have a three-day weekend here in Belize. Monday, May 21st is Commonwealth Day. A day of observance – for the over ONE BILLION people who were part of the British empire. (Amazing, huh?) I celebrated and will continue to observe it by mooning over the photos and being glued to the commentary about the newest royal wedding. I kinda understand those who aren’t interested (they are the same, generally, who show disinterest in American Royal family, the Kardashians) and I DEFINITELY understand those who are against the very idea of monarchy – the privilege and the over-the-top snobbery on the tax payers’ dime.

Maya Reenacment was held at Santa Rita Temple
On May 19, 2018 The Northern Maya of Belize held their Maya Reenacment at Santa Rita Maya Temple. The colorful light setting gave the Temple a bright colorful background. As people waited for this event to commenced there where still setting up the equipments. Chairs were filled by 7pm. By, 8pm the event had already commenced. The wedding was Honor by Mr. Roy Rodiguez daughter's wedding. A Maya Ceremmony was done to keep away any bad spirits as the future days to come. Also, it was done to keep the good spirit within them so if anything goes wrong they will always be protected by thee good spirit. During the show, dancers from Quinta Roo, Came to show casae the Maya dances.

International Sourcesizz

Guess Which Caribbean Flowers Made It On To Meghan Markle’s Veil?
The flowers of 12 Caribbean countries will now become a part of history as the distinctive Clare Waight Keller for Givenchy veil worn by Meghan Markle, now the Duchess of Sussex, on Saturday, May 19, 2018. So which Caribbean flowers made it on to the five meters long silk tulle veil with a trim of hand-embroidered flowers in silk threads and organza? (The Black Orchid – Belize)

Belize PM to step down next year
At a press conference in Belize City last week, prime minister of Belize, Dean Barrow, stated that he will be officially stepping down as leader of the ruling United Democratic Party (UDP) after his party’s next general convention scheduled for mid to late 2019. Barrow has served as prime minister of Belize since 2008, and the member of parliament for Queen’s Square since 1984. Barrow also served as leader of the opposition from 1998 to 2008, when he defeated then incumbent prime minister, Said Musa, in a landslide, winning 25 of the 31 seats contested, with Musa’s Peoples United Party (PUP) winning only six.

Videos

• Fishing for Barracudas and Snappers!!!!! San Pedro Ambergris Caye Rocky point!!!, 18min.

• The first teams of the BTB/Love FM Sea Challenge arriving in San Pedro Town!, 1min. The race, the first of its kind, debuted on Thursday, May 17th, and have made stops in Placencia Village, Dangriga Town, and Belize City. The race continues Monday on its last leg from San Pedro to Corozal!

• Road trip in Belize, 6.5min. SwissFrenchy chap on an overland slow travel journey through Central & South Americas. Windsurfing, surfing, volunteering & wildlife conservation.

• Belize and Zipline, 9min.

• Belize 2018, 9min. Our Honeymoon. We stayed at Captain Morgan Resort in San Pedro Belize. We can't wait to go back.

• Service Aboard Trip-San Pedro, Belize 2018, 3min. A group of six speech-language and audiology students and two professors traveled to San Pedro to do speech and hearing screenings at the local schools!

• Belize Zip Line, 8.5min. Belize Zip Line Harvest Caye.

• Tracking and Bird Language Training - Belize, 2.5min.

• Belize 2018 Day 4 - Ancient Mayan City of Tikal, 2min. After breakfast we left Hamanasi with a small group to Guatemala at 5AM. The driver and guide were very helpful with getting us across the boarder. The long drive was worth every minute to see the central hub of Ancient Mayan Civilization. We got back before 8pm for a late but well appreciated Hamanasi dinner.

• Snorkeling at Hol Chan Marine Reserve Belize!, 1min. Snorkeling off the Coast of San Pedro in Ambergris Caye at Hol Chan Marine Reserve. We saw some amazing stuff including turtles, sharks, spotted eagle rays and so much more!

• Schnorcheln in Belize, 35min.

• Belize 2018 Day 3 - Cave Tubing Tour, 2min. Day 3 we got up early to meet our guide to take us inland for Cave Tubing. This was different than the cruise ship routes and definitely more exclusive. We put our tubes up to dry and hiked back into the cave. We swam to get to our destination, which was a location of the cave where Mayans performed rituals from more than a thousand years ago. Once it was all done, we had a big lunch included in our tour. Once we got back, we enjoyed the resort and got settled into our new Deluxe Treehouse Room.

• Strong Man & Woman Competition 2018 ( BBBFF ), 3.75hr.