FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Heineken partners with Belize Brewing Company
Holland-based brewing company Heineken has acquired a minority stake in Belize Brewing Company Limited (BBC). The partnership, which provides BBC with a strong international partner, was announced on Friday, May 11th. BBC, a subsidiary of Bowen and Bowen Limited, has been importing and distributing Heineken’s brands including Amstel and Red Stripe in Belize since 2016.

The A Team wins first ever 2018 BTB Love Belize Sea Challenge!
The Belize Tourism Board in partnership with Love FM successfully debuted their first ever ‘Belize Sea Challenge,’ which saw kayakers enduring the odds of the sea in a five-day race from Punta Gorda Town to Corozal Town. Seven teams braved the 218-mile race that ran through Thursday, May 17th to Monday, May 21st, making stops in Placencia Village, Dangriga Town, Belize City, and San Pedro Town. After five grueling days, the A Team from the Belize Coast Guard, comprising of Daniel Gregorio, and brothers, Godfrey, James, and Mark Alford, emerged as the winning team, clocking a cumulative 35:59:14. Teams competed in the male, female, and mixed category, leaving each departure point at 5AM every morning. The teams participating included The A Team, Belize International Water Sports, BDF Breaking Waves, Belize Territorial Volunteers, Wave Runners, Delta Squad, and Koop Sheet Metal/NICH.

Belize’s Ambassador to Guatemala brings ICJ educational campaign to San Pedro
As Belize moves towards the national referendum to decide whether to take the Guatemalan claim to the International Court of Justice (ICJ), Ambassador of Belize to Guatemala, His Excellency Alexis Rosado, addressed students and invited guests on the topic at the Angel Nuñez Auditorium on Tuesday, May 22nd. Rosado spoke about the history of the Guatemalan claim on Belize, the role of the Organization of American States (OAS) and the reason why the ICJ is the only solution to the long-standing territorial dispute with Guatemala. Most of the audience was comprised of students, who listened as Andre Perez introduced Ambassador Rosado. The presentation, which is part of the nationwide ICJ educational campaign, started with the summary of Belize’s position against the territorial claim from Guatemala.

Ambergris Today

Bartender Shot During Robbery At Wayo’s Beach Bar
Island residents are shocked once again at the escalating crime on Ambergris Caye. Yet another robbery and assault last night at one of the island’s popular bars has left a bartender injured from a gunshot wound. Initial investigations by San Pedro Police Reveal that two male persons entered Wayo’s Bar at about 11:20p.m. on Friday, Ma 25, 2018, armed with with a chrome pistol resembling a 9mm and what appeared to be a sawed off shotgun. Working at the bar were two bartenders. The male person with the pistol proceeded to the bar area where he demanded the contents of the cash register be placed in a bag he had. The other assailant waited at the entrance of the bar.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Three arrests for illegal fishing in one night!
Our 3rd arrest for illegal fishing within Port Honduras Marine Reserve tonight! Thanks TIDE rangers and Belize Coast Guard for protecting our marine resources! Night patrol team crept up on 2 Guatemalan fishers who had just set up long gillnets in our conservation zone! Will keep you posted on prosecution results!

MESSAGE FROM THE MAYOR OF SAN PEDRO TOWN: Dear Lions and friends of Lions
It gives me great pleasure to welcome you to Ambergris Caye on the occasion of the Belize Lion Zone 59, 40th Annual Convention. Over the years, the Lions Club of San Pedro, and by extension Lions Club International, has been at the centre of many success stories on our island. It is the hope of the San Pedro Town Council and the people of Belize, that over the duration of your convention, Lion members will be able to meet, discuss, plan and foster ideas that can make our communities a better place for all. As you know, Lions Club International new national and global service focuses on diabetes as part of the Centennial Service Challenge. We are hopeful that your clubs will consider hosting awareness campaigns, screening programs and help in expanding treatments in an effort to reduce, and where possible, stop diabetes.

BELTRAIDE successfully completes Career Fair 2018
BELTRAIDE successfully implemented its very first CAREER FAIR, which connected up to 300 job seekers with job opportunities within six (6) hours. The CAREER FAIR was bolstered by prominent companies crossing Tourism, Business Process Outsourcing, Agro-Processing, Aquaculture, and Energy, which showcased over 700 vacancies at the FAIR today. With a firm commitment to foster development in Belize, BELTRAIDE will be keeping all its stakeholders briefed of up-to-date development opportunities. As a signature event to conclude BELTRAIDE’s 2018 National Competitiveness Month activity, we invite you to contact BELTRAIDE should you wish to participate in developing Belize:

Rotary Finishes Bathroom in Succotz
The Rotary Club of San Ignacio handed over the finished bathroom at Succotz RC Primary School this week. Thanks, Rotary! More photos from the handing over ceremony in Succotz for the toilet block at the RC school. This was a great community and international effort. Thank you, Rotary!

NCCO Video Competition
The National Climate Change Office is having a video competition. If you have an idea for a 3 minute video, you could win some nice prizes. Youth from Belize, ages 18 to 30, can apply to the NCCO's second National Climate Change Youth Video Competition from now until July 13, 2018. The Video Competition highlights climate action being taken by youth through videos, giving them a platform to share their successes and inspire others. Send us a 3 minute about how you are fighting climate change for a chance to be one of two winners. See the attached files for more details.

West Fest Date Announced
The first annual West Fest date has been announced! The BTIA has spent many years formulating this - from Corn Fest to Cayo Fest - and it's finally happening. It'll be a full day, family oriented event that focuses on the variety of unique cultures that can be found in Cayo. There will be many different kinds of food and drinks, cultural presentations, entertainment, and music. It'll all take place at Macal River Park on Saturday, September 15th. West Fest, 3000 years and counting. Culture, Food & Music. We are inviting all local cultures to be represented with costumes, music, dance and food, representing their presence in Cayo. Join us for a spectacular presentation of our heritage in the melting pot of cultures of our Beautiful Belize.

Celebrating community and partnerships!
The U.S. Marines and U.S. Army Joint Civil Affairs Team partnered with the Belize Defense Force & Belize Police Department at a fun event involving 200 kids at La Inmaculada School in Arenal! The Belize Defense Force & Belize Police Department provided and cooked over 150 pounds of food for everyone and the U.S. Joint Civil Affairs team donated to the kids shoes courtesy of Shuzz Fund and part of our Beyond the Horizon 2017 exercise. The team also collected and donated school supplies for the upcoming school year, courtesy of the U.S. Army.

The Independent Maya Masewal Communities during the Guerra Social Maya(Caste War 1847-1930's)
In 1850 the Chan Santa Cruz state founded by the Yucatec Maya group known as the Cruzoob Maya, stretching from north of Tulum to the Belize border and a considerable distance inland, was the largest of the independent Maya communities of the era but not the only one. The Ixcanha Maya community had a population of some 1,000 people who refused the Cruzob's break with traditional Catholicism. In the years of stalemate, Ixcanha agreed to nominal recognition of Mexico in exchange for some guns to defend themselves from Cruzob raids and the promise that the Mexican government would leave them alone. As Chan Santa Cruz was more of a worry, the Mexicans let Ixcanha govern itself through 1894.

The Reporter

Corozal girl reports sexual abuse by father
A female minor of Paraiso village in the Corozal district reported to police that over a three-year span, she was sexually assaulted by her father on multiple occasions. Police say that on May 24th, the girl and her mother visited the police station and reported that between June 2015 and March 2018, her father fondled and groped her. Police are investigating the report.

San Pedro bartender shot during armed robbery
Osner Campos, 26, a bartender who was on duty at the Wayos Bar in San Pedro town was shot once to his head during an armed robbery at the establishment last night and is in critical condition at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital (KHMH). Campos and another bartender were on duty when two armed robbers entered just after 11:20 p.m. One man was armed with a .9mm pistol while the other stood guard at the door with a shotgun. The bandit with the handgun proceeded to the counter and demanded cash from the register, which he put in a bag.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

3 affordable ways to increase the value of your home
So you’re trying to sell your home right away or flipping a fixer-upper? Here’s some advice you’d be interested in! […]

Succotz man detained for unlicensed firearm
Yesterday Benque Viejo police detained Ronald Lopez, 29, of Succotz village, Cayo after police received a report that he had an unlicensed firearm. […]

Police find bullets near Lord Ridge cemetery
Yesterday at around 1:30 p.m., Belize city police found a transparent plastic bag filled with ammunition in an abandoned lot after an illegal drug search was conducted around the Lord Ridge cemetery. […]

One charged for illegal weapon found in house search
A Dangriga man, Derrick Ramirez, 25, has been arrested after a police search at his home in Belize city on Ordonez street around 5:50 p.m. yesterday led to the discovery of a 12-gauge single action shot gun and three 12-gauge cartridges. […]

Officer allegedly threatens colleague with gun at police station
Reports to BBN say on Thursday evening around 5:30, two police officers at the San Ignacio police station were involved in an altercation, which reportedly escalated to the point that one officer threatened the other with his weapon. […]

San Pedro man shot to the head during armed robbery
San Pedro police are investigating a daring armed robbery at Wayo’s bar in the Boca del Rio area of the island last night. Around 11:20 p.m. yesterday, Osner Campos and another bartender were working at the bar when two men arrived. […]

Belize’s Opposition Leader congratulates Barbados’ PM Mottley
Belize’s Leader of the Opposition, John Briceno sent a letter to Barbados’ first female Prime Minister, Mia Amor Mottley yesterday. Briceno extended congratulations to Mottley for making history in the Caribbean country with her historic victory for the Barbados Labour Party. […]

Policewoman charged with stabbing common-law husband
On Sunday, BBN reported a stabbing incident involving two police officers in San Ignacio Town. […]

Blogs

You Want Me to do What?!?
When I told my trainer Sarah that I was taking a Belizean cooking class, her expression was a close match to the title of my post. Knowing I do not care to cook it was guaranteed to be the last thing she expected to come out of my mouth. While she is right for the most part, I do have a few exceptions. A fun atmosphere, and cooking with other people is generally a couple of them. Plus when you find out you are one of the ingredients in Belizean cooking 101 food tour and you get hand-delivered a Belizean wood cutting board with cheese knife for an invitation, it definitely builds excitement.

International Sourcesizz

Georgia Marine’s murder in Belize remains unsolved one year later
Brandon Barfield has kept his best friend’s room just the way he left it. Drew DeVoursney’s black suit still hangs in the closet of the West Palm Beach home they shared. And his guitar — the one he used to perform Lynyrd Skynyrd and Allman Brothers songs while they were both deployed in Iraq — rests beside the bed he slept in. To Barfield, it feels fitting to keep everything in place, including DeVoursney’s poster of “Jeremiah Johnson,” their favorite movie. The two became fast friends serving alongside each other with the U.S. Marine Corps in Fallujah in 2004, then a dark and violent battleground where both men narrowly survived rocket-propelled grenade attacks. When they returned home from the war, they bought 5 acres near Corozal Bay, planning to develop a vacation home on it.

Murder in Belize: How a reporter found the tragic scene
My guide hacked at the towering maze of sugar cane stalks with his machete, clearing the way. A sharp cane leaf sliced his right wrist, drawing bright red blood. It was hot and sticky in there. Mosquitoes swarmed us. Finally, we reached a clearing. And that is where we picked up the scent of death and then spotted the disturbing dark stain on the ground. Traveling to the remote cane field in northern Belize where the bodies of Drew DeVoursney and his girlfriend, Francesca Matus, were found probably wasn’t the safest thing I’ve done in my 24 years of reporting for newspapers. I had no idea if the killer or killers were still lurking nearby. But my impulses — an insatiable curiosity among them — drove me there last year.

Former MISD administrator to 'Teach Beyond' as vice principal in Belize
At 69, retired educator Risa Jordan Anderson is preparing for a new adventure as she has accepted a position to “teach beyond” the states, serving as vice principal at Belize Christian Academy in Belmopan, Belize. She is excited about the opportunity, which came to her through a surprise email from “Teach Beyond,” a transformational education services ministry. Anderson will begin her new role when the 2018-2019 new school year begins. “Even though I’m retired, I can just sit back and just rock on the front porch and sit out and barbecue and just enjoy my retirement like I’m supposed to, but there was just a calling that seemed like there was just more that I could do to offer,” the Marshall native and resident said.

Videos

• Sounds of the Rainforest - Belize, 4min. River and Liz checking in from the steamy hot rainforest of Southern Belize! Hear what worked and what didn't to repel bugs. Listen to the soothing sounds of the rainforest at night as we laugh about our interesting bus ride down here.

• They drive WHAT in San Pedro Belize?!, 8min. I cannot believe the source of transportation they use here!