FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofer: Birth Control
“Hey, Mario, you want to play some darts?” “I can’t right now, Cindy,” Mario said. “We waiting for Juan to get here so we can play our tournament.” “Next time, then.” “O.K.” Mario, Vernon, Juan and I meet at the bar once every week for what we call our darts tournament. The loser buys the drinks. “Cindy is a strange name for a guy,” I said. “Is that his real name?” “It’s Sindy with an S,” Vernon said. “It’s a joke in Spanish. You see how he doesn’t have any teeth in front? He got them knocked out playing football. Now, you see why we call him Cindy?”

59 Forest Rangers Sworn-in as Special Constables
On May 25, 2018, 59 Forest Rangers of both government and forest co-management agencies were sworn-in as Special Constables following two weeks of intensive training at the Belize Police Academy. The training, which began on 14th May, 2018, culminated with Forest Rangers being sworn-in to exercise greater authority to arrest and seize for forest, protected areas, and wildlife-related crimes. Mr. German Novelo, Key Biodiversity Areas Project Manager, stated that “the only way we can successfully stem illegal forest activities is by empowering our hard-working forest rangers within our partner agencies with the legal authority to seize and arrest.”

Doctor Love: Worried
Dear Doctor Love: My husband and I have been married for almost a year and things have been pretty good. But recently he bought a new cell phone and it is password protected. He will not give me the password and only answers texts when I leave the room. I also found a login on our computer to an email account I didn’t know he had. When I asked him about it he became defensive and couldn’t give any plausible explanation why he had this account. Even though we’ve always shared our password information I never checked his email nor did I check his old phone but this new secrecy has me worried. I want to trust him but in the back of my mind I feel something is amiss and I am afraid of what he might be hiding. /s/Worried

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Carlos Panti has Fatal Accident
Approximately 5:00 a.m. on Sunday 27/5/18 police visited an areas on the George Price Highway near Log Cabin Resort. Upon arrival they observed the lifeless body of 47 year old Carlos Panti, of San Ignacio Town near a silver Isuzu trooper. Panti was from the direction of Benque Viejo Town towards San Ignacio Town in the trooper when he lost control of the vehicle and it overturned. He was flung a few feet from the vehicle. Panti was pronounced dead on arrival at the San Ignacio Community Hospital.

Elijio Bishop of Melanation / Carbon Nation Leaves Consejo Village
The Chairman of Consejo Village, Mr. Christian Loza has called in to report that the meeting scheduled for tomorrow, Monday May the 28th with local authorities and the group leader Elijio Bishop of Melanation / Carbon Nation (the religious cult) that has been in Belize since the beginning of this year, has been cancelled as the group packed up all their belongings in their white van this morning and abruptly left Consejo Village. It is believed that the group is still in the country and heading towards Orange Walk or further south. They are indefinitely out of Consejo Village and our Corozal District.

Metal Haven Acoustica III
The Acoustica III concert was a great show. The Soul Project was the perfect venue for the concert. So many amazing songs by a wide range of Belizean and Central American musicians. Can't wait for the next one. In related news Metal Haven VIII will be on November 3rd. Matel Haven's set of pictures. Pictures on fb.

The Reporter

San Hill villager dies in hit and run
Sandhill resident, Jermaine Rhabrn, was knocked down and left for dead on the Maskall road in the wee hours of Sunday morning. He later died of his injuries at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital (KHMH) this afternoon. Just after 4:45 a.m. on Sunday, police responded to a report of a man laying face up in the middle of the road between miles one and two on the Maskall feeder road. Rhaburn was found in a semi-conscious state and was transported to the KHMH by BERT personnel. He died around midday.

Guinea Grass resident chopped in fight
A confrontation in Guinea Grass village on Saturday night turned violent, ending with one villager being chopped to the head with a machete. Aurelio Armando Pop, 20, was engaged in an argument with another man in front of a restaurant in the village around 8:30 p.m. last night. That individual inflicted the chop wounds and fled the scene. Pop was hospitalized at the Northern Regional Hospital for treatment. He remains in stable condition.

San Ignacio man dies in road traffic accident
A San Ignacio man is dead following a road traffic accident, which happened around 4:00 this morning on the Benque road. Carlos Panti, 47, was traveling alone in his silver Isuzu Trooper from Benque Viejo town towards San Ignacio when he lost control of the vehicle in front of the Log Cabin Resort. As the vehicle careened off the road, it flipped and Panti was flung several feet away from the vehicle.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

IMF researchers say Belize’s Superbond problem not solved
A working paper prepared by researchers from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) about Belize’s “Superbond” titled ‘Sovereign Debt Restructuring – Third Time Lucky?’ compared the country’s unprecedented third restructuring of the bond and noted that the IMF concluded the new measures were still not enough to put national debt on a sustainable downward trajectory. […]

Brace yourself for a busy 2018 hurricane season
The 2018 Atlantic Hurricane Season officially begins on June 1 and goes through to November 30, 2018. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has forecasted that this year’s season will be strong and above average. […]

Guinea Grass man chopped to the head last night
Last night around 8:30 p.m. a man was chopped to the head in Guinea Grass Village. According to police, the victim has been identified as Aurelio Armando Pop 20, of Guinea Grass. […]

Man dies following hit and run incident
This morning at around 4:45, police visited the road between miles 1 and 2 on the Old Northern Highway, Sand Hill Village where they saw Jermain Rhaburn in a semi-conscious condition and with severe injuries to the head and body. […]

Popular Cayo Tour guide dies in fatal traffic accident
Carlos Panti, a popular Cayo tour guide died in a fatal traffic accident this morning. According to reports, the incident happened on the George Price Highway near Windy Hill Resort. […]

International Sourcesizz

Fernando Paiz on Why a Trip to Belize is as Good as it Gets
The developer behind the luxe Ka’ana and Itz’ana resorts shares why Belize will quickly be at the top of your travel wish list. At the forefront of the soon-to-be-booming destination’s development is Fernando Paiz, the Guatemalan hotelier behind Ka’ana, one of the country’s first luxury resorts (and one of the best places to call homebase if you’re looking to explore the region’s newly discovered Maya Megalopolis). Robb Report sat down with the developer and philanthropist—he also serves as the head of La Ruta Maya foundation, which works to return illegally-traded Maya artifacts to Guatemala and Belize—as he gets ready to open the much-anticipated Itz’ana Resort and Residences to discuss why Belize needs to make its way to the top of your itinerary. I became acquainted with Belize at a very young age. I started coming in the 1960s with my parents, and I was fascinated with the crystal-clear waters of the cays and the richness of the fauna and all of that. My passion is the ocean and the water, and that’s what brought me to the country in the first place. It was a big catch for me.

Videos

• David Dido Vega to become the new PUP Standard Bearer for Corozal Bay..!!!!, 1min. Happened earlier today infront of Saint Francis Xavier Primary School.

• Methodist School Scouts marching down the streets of Corozal, 1/2min.

• Belize Video, 2.5min. I went on a three week study abroad trip with the University of Alabama. We stayed at Lime Caye, Big Falls, and finally Southwater Caye. Here's a little look into what we experienced.

• Snorkelling in Belize, 2min.

• Small plane from Belize airport to Placencia, 2.5min.

• Belize Vacation 2018, 24min.

• THE SUGARCANE AND THE YUCATEC MAYA OF BELIZE, 7min. The Yucatec Maya is one of the Maya groups found in Belize. The Yucatec Maya are mostly found Corozal,Orange Walk and Cayo . This part 3 documentary talks about the Caste War in Belize,Marcus canul and the Battle of San Pedro Yalbac etc and also about the Sugar Cane . Interview Dr Angel Cal and Nojoch Mak Mateo Ayuso .note in this documentary when they speak about the Central Maya they mean the Yucatec Maya group known as the Cruzoob Maya and when they speak about the southern Maya they mean the Yucatec Maya group known as the Icaiche Maya.