Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Guatemala's Fuego volcano erupted, killing at least 25 people and leaving residents covered in ash as they fled from billowing plumes.

The volcanic eruption Sunday spewed a river of red hot lava and belched thick clouds of smoke nearly six miles into the air, according to the CONRED, the government agency for disaster reduction. Ashen remnants covered neighborhoods.

In addition to the fatalities, 20 others were injured, CONRED said.

Survivors described the horror and destruction when the volcano erupted.

"Not everyone escaped, I think they were buried," Consuelo Hernandez said in a video released by CONRED. "We saw the lava was pouring through the corn fields and we ran toward a hill."

Hernandez told officials from the disaster agency that some of her relatives were buried. Images from the scene showed a firefighter weeping.

Guatemala's President Jimmy Morales declared three days of national mourning.

For more information, click here for the rest of the story....

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Guatemala warns of greater activity after volcano explodes again
Guatemalan authorities warned that the Fuego volcano was showing signs of greater activity on Tuesday night as the death toll from a devastating eruption at the weekend climbed to 75 and nearly 200 people remained missing. The seismological, volcanic and meteorological institute Insivumeh heightened its warnings after the volcano erupted again earlier on Tuesday, forcing evacuations and sending rescue workers scrambling for cover. The peak had its most devastating eruption in more than four decades on Sunday, showering ash on a wide area and sending lava flows through nearby towns. "The conditions are extremely critical at this moment," Insivumeh Director Eddy S�nchez told reporters. The latest activity has been mostly on the far side of the volcano, facing the Pacific coast.

Belize offers Guatemala assistance after horrific volcanic eruption

So far over seventy fatalities have been recorded as a result of the horrific volcanic eruption in Guatemala on Sunday. The death toll is expected to increase. Countries around the world have pledged to support Guatemala in their time of need. Belize is one of those countries. This morning while at the OAS General Assembly, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Wilfred Elrington, offered Belize's assistance.

Wilfred Elrington, Foreign Minister of Belize: "I wish to start my intervention this morning by expressing Belize's deepest sympathies with the government and people of Guatemala on the eruption of the volcano resulting in the deaths of many of their citizens, we are deeply saddened by that event. Belize has lot of connections with Guatemala, kit and kin as well and we are deeply sorry and we've expressed to the Guatemalan foreign minister our own willingness to be of whatever assistance we are able to give to that country at this time of need."

Love News got in contact with officials from Belize's Embassy in Guatemala City. We were told that they are doing okay and if the second volcano near the city exhibits activity, the ambassador and his team will depart the city immediately.

LOVEFM

Guatemalan Post - Volcano Saga Still Unfolding

At least 72 people are dead after Guatemala's worst volcanic eruption in more than a century. Thousands of people are displaced and in shelters, and entire villages are buried in what is unfolding as a true human catastrophe.

The "Volcan De Fuego" - located 25 miles from Guatemala City - erupted on Sunday - sending miles of pyroclastic flow -- a nasty mix of ash, rock and volcanic gases racing towards villages on the slopes of the volcano.

Now, Belize and Guatemala may have a standing dispute, but we are neighbors, and the human dimensions of this grim tragedy far outweigh any historical differences.

So, how can you help? Well, the Guatemalan Embassy in Belize said today that it will be able to receive donations as soon as CONRED - which is their version of NEMO - provides the official list of items. So, the Red Cross office in Belize says that for the meantime, the best you can do is donate money:...

Lily Bowman, Director General for The Belize Red Cross
"As usual we launched an appeal so that the Belizean public can support in any way they can however in our case we can only accept monetary donations, unfortunately, we do not have the storage capacity for in-kind donations or the resources to get them to Guatemala."

Sahar Vasquez, reporter
"Is there anything else people can do to assist the Guatemalans?"

Lily Bowman
"It depends on what the Guatemalan Government is asking for as well. We have to respect the fact that they are the leaders in their own response and they will be the ones to determine what their needs are for the international community if any. It is proactive on our side to launch an appeal anyway because we know that there are several people who have been injured and that will probably have lost everything, their homes and everything they own so we know that there is a need. In the case of the Belize Red Cross, we are doing this in communication with the National Society in Guatemala. The Guatemalan Red Cross and our International Federation. Our International Federation has sent out alerts to our regional intervention teams who are teams trained for response in times of disaster within the region and of course whoever applies they will assess and if they fit the criteria needed for the particular disaster they will be selected."

"We have been getting calls and people have been texting, stopping me on the street, asking so I know that there are some people who are willing and want to help and we are open to accepting donations except that it is monetary donations that we will accept."

NEMO sent out a statement today saying also that a cash donation is the best form of relief. The statements adds, quote, "NEMO appreciates all assistance given to Belize in past by the people and government of Guatemala and hopes that this reciprocal humanitarian offer of disaster aid will be received in the spirit of humanity for those in need."

Those who have donations - like these folks we saw in San Pedro - should contact NEMO's Humanitarian Officer at 822-2054, 668-7550 or 828-4334.

The Guatemalan Embassy's release today says the Embassy greatly appreciates the human spirit and willingness shown by different sectors of the civil society in Belize.

And while that's what's happening at the official level, at the informal, community level, relief efforts are being organized quickly. An ad-hocGuatemala Volcano Relief committee has set up collection centers for donations to be received between today and midday Friday.

They are sending supplies directly to Escuintla by Monday or Tuesday. The Escuintla Department is the one where the volcano erupted.

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

LIVE Volcano relief for Guatemala, Dial 226-4054 Drop offs can be made at Reef TV/Radio offices or at the LION's DEN

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Helping Guatemala "No Matta What"

Tonight, the death toll from the volcanic eruption in Guatemala has risen to 77 - while nearly 200 are still missing.  More than 1 million people were affected by the volcano and  presently 3,319 of those are in shelters. 

Countries and organizations are coming together to assist Guatemala by donating money and supplies to those in need. 

Belize is one among the many but our Red Cross can only give money as they don't have space to store supplies. But, one Belizean didn’t feel like money was enough, she wanted to give more. We met her today and heard more about her generous gesture.

Volcano Fuego has always been an active volcano that would occasionally gush out lava, but on Sunday the volcano did justice to its fiery name. Fuego had its worst eruption in more than a century, turning villages into ash and women, men, and children buried in it.

Many children no longer have someone to call mom or dad and many parents no longer have children to boast about. But the Guatemalans are not alone in fighting this horrific battle.

Thousands of people from all walks of life have come together to lend a much needed helping hand.  Donations big and small have been pouring in from organizations all over the world.

The Belize Red Cross has set up an account for monetary donations. But many Belizeans want to give more than just money, they want to donate supplies. Raquel Escobar is one of them.

Escobar felt she could not wait for someone else to come up with a way to get in-kind donations and take them to Guatemala, so she took on the responsibility. Transportation seems uncertain but that is not phasing her.

Raquel Escobar - Philanthropist
"Well like I said I wanted to take my bus and a team there to assist me in getting the stuff there so I want to do that but I am just not sure if the bus will be able to go out of the country but any assistance would be good from a person in a high position so I can get permission to take the bus there and my team. Well, I have people in Melchor that I can contact and see who are the teams that are traveling there so I can get the stuff. If the bus is not able to go I will take my personal vehicle and deliver it to Melchor but to a person who will take it there."

She says she found a list of things that the victims need. They have enough adult supplies but not much for children.

Sahar Vasquez
"So supplies like?"

Raquel Escobar
"Pampers, baba, face mask, baby shoes, baby clothes, alcohol, peroxide, more medical things."

Belize and Guatemala are not on the best terms but for Escobar that is a non-issue. She is not concerned about what Guatemala has done to Belize or how much money she will have to spend. She just wants to help.

Raquel Escobar
"I see people hurt and many nights I just think how could I live and go through all of that. I don't picture myself in that scenario. Money comes and goes and a person only lives once so I am willing to help anyone. Well, it is just an act of kindness, today is for them. We don't know what can happen to us tomorrow so it just comes from the bottom of my heart.”

If you would like to donate anything you can drop it off at Escobar's store in Ladyville, which is named Infiniti or you can call her at 633-6306.

And it seems Escobar is not the only good Samaritan. On Saturday Radio Bahia in Corozal will be an all-day having a radio-thon. The public is invited to come out and donate whatever they can. For more information, you can call 634-3498

The Guatemalan embassy also sent out a release today urging donors to give cash donations to the bank accounts of the Red Cross in Belize - which will transfer those funds to its Guatemalan counterparts.  

You can see the banking details on our website.

Channel 7

San Pedro Unites For Guatemala, Over $10K Pledged
El Volcan de Fuego eruptionin Guatemala on Sunday, June 3, 2018, has resulted in 86 deaths and at least 300 injuries, 2,000 missing persons so far, including the evacuation of many neighboring residents. Without any hesitation island residents of Ambergris Caye, Beilze united in the spirit of humanity to assist, in any way possible, our neighbors in Guatemala. On Monday, June 4, 2018, Island Warriors Football Team, spearheaded a dollar drive and collection of canned foods and clothing at the Hon. Louis Sylvestre Football Field. The group had a tremendous turnout of support having collected $1,158 in the dollar drive and three truckloads of clothing in just one night. Their fundraising efforts continued on Tuesday, June 5, 2018 and the entire community of San Pedro united for a grand radiothon and food/clothing drive on Wednesday, June 6, 2018. The San Pedro Town Council, San Pedro Lions Club, the Belize Red Cross, Communidad Salvadorena and Projects Abroad, united to raise fund for the Volcan de Fuego Victims. Dollar drives throughout the streets of San Pedro and the radiothon gathered a total of $10,400.69 all for our brothers and sisters in Guatemala. A contingency from San Pedro will be personally delivering the items collected and monies to Guatemala on Thursday, June 7, 2018. Once again our little island has proven that when it comes to lending a helping hand we always join hands and assist. Kudos to everyone who helped out in making this relief effort a total success!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.