FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Minister of National Emergency Management, Hon. Edmond Castro attends meeting on Disaster Risk Management in the Americas
Minister of National Emergency Management Hon. Edmond Castro is currently in Cartagena, Colombia where he attended the Sixth Regional Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction in the Americas and the Third Meeting of Ministers and Authorities on the Implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015 – 2030. Coming out of the meeting, which wrapped up on June 22, 2018, is a declaration which recognizes the need to continue strengthening national and regional platforms organized by the region’s countries with the objective to make progress on disaster risk reduction; emphasizes the importance of increasing knowledge about the phenomena that cause the loss of lives and damage to infrastructure in our territories that do not recognize administrative, economic, social or environmental boundaries; reaffirms the multi-disciplinary nature that the disaster risk approach requires, and the impacts generated by the adverse events on the economy of the Americas and the Caribbean...

Wolfe’s Woofers: One Child
“That’s the first time I been to Punta Gorda in my thirty-two years and I born right here in Belize,” Vernon said. “It was good to see my old auntie, too.” “I’m glad you came with me,” I told him. When Vernon found out that I was driving to Punta Gorda to visit my friend John Grant for the weekend he asked for a ride which I gladly gave. “Can we stop for a beer?” he asked. “I sure am dry.” We stopped at a little cantina outside of Big Falls that was about half full of Kekchi Maya. After a couple of beers, the man on Vernon’s left said, “Hey, amigo. Let’s have a game of riddles. I ask you a riddle and if you can answer it I’ll buy you a drink. If you can’t, then you buy me one.”

PM Barrow discusses fuel prices, illegal Guatemalan incursions, and recent Cabinet reshuffle
Prime Minister Right Honorable Dean Barrow weighed in on issues affecting his people, namely the steady increase in fuel prices, the continuous Guatemalan illegal encroachment in southern Belize and the recent sudden Cabinet reshuffle at an event in Belize City on Tuesday, June 19th. The Head of Government spoke with optimism regarding the solutions for the mentioned matters and the recent changes in his Government. Barrow addressed the constant increase in fuel prices, which hit its 10th increase this year on June 8th. Following that increase, Government promised prices would go down at the next shipment. However, upon the arrival of said shipment, the price of Premium gas went up upsetting thousands of Belizeans.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Congratulations to Sandbar San Pedro for winning the top prize for best food and drink at this year's San Pedro Lobsterfest 2018!

San Pedro Lobster Fest 2018
The week-long festivities ended with a bang on Saturday at San Pedro Lobster Fest. Complete with a Lobster food competition and Steelpan Band Concert, attendees reveled in all things lobster!

Placencia Lobster Festival
If you are a seafood lover and you are looking for unique ways to eat your way around Belize? You got to try one of Belize culinary festivals, the Placencia Lobster Festival.

Placencia Lobster Festival 2018
Placencia Lobster Festival Fishing Tournament kicked off this morning at 5AM! This marks the 5th Placencia Village Council Lobster Fest Fishing Tournament!

Ya'axché Conservation Trust providing financial management training
We are providing financial management training to 15 farmers from 6 Maya Golden Landscape communities. We began yesterday and today, Saturday, we are completing the training for women and men farmers who are supporting the protection of forests. Some of the topics covered in the introductory financial management training include book-keeping, financial control measures and budgeting. So far, we have provided 3 sets of financial management training under the EuropeAid project funded by the European Union.

Belize’s best known bartender, Jet, makes an appearance in the backdrop on Chelsea Handlers Netflix special

The Reporter

Pitbull reportedly attacks child
Reliable reports reaching the Reporter indicate that a pitbull dog attacked a child around 7:30 tonight in Belize City, abd that the child is now in a critical condition at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital. The child is said to be a 2 year-old boy of Raccoon Street Extension, and the incident reportedly happened on Antelope Street in the same area.

Several robberies; one sexual assault involving minors reported
Police have reported a series of robberies and a sexual assault involving two minors that have occurred over the past week. The sexual assault reportedly happened on Wednesday around 2:30 a.m., and the victim and the accused are both 13 years old of Belize City. The girl told police in the presence of her mother that it was her adopted brother who sexually assaulted her. The most brazen of the robberies occurred in Belize City just up the street from the Queen Street police station after 3:30 on Thursday afternoon. The proprietor of Tony’s Store on Daly street was relieved of his wallet containing $500 and personal documents.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Minister Edmund Castro attends Disaster Risk seminar in Cartagena, Colombia
Minister of National Emergency Management, Edmund Castro, recently attended the Sixth Regional Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction in the Americas and the Third Meeting of Ministers and Authorities on the Implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030 in Cartagena, Colombia from June 20-22.

Come to Cayo Music School’s concert!
The Cayo Music school will host a concert this Sunday in San Ignacio town. The event will take place at the San Ignacio resort hotel on Sunday, June 24, starting at 6:00 p.m.

Dr. Carla Barnett falls from grace?
United Democratic Party (UDP) minister, Dr. Carla Barnett, has long been touted, especially by Prime Minister Dean Barrow as a minister above reproach, one of the party’s most exemplary ministers. However, a trove of documents from the infamous “hotbed of corruption”, the Land’s Department, suggest that her abrupt removal from that ministry may be one of the last straws in her swift fall from grace.

Blogs

Last Call for Lobster Crawl
Yesterday was the last call for Lobster Crawl and my friend Denise was looking for someone to hit the two events with. We started out in the afternoon at the Palapa Bar and Grill to hear Roy Hale sing and catch up with a few friends we knew would be there. As it turned out we also got an unexpected surprise Coconut Leo time. We enjoyed hearing tales of his recent rockstar moment when he was invited to Mexico and got the royal treatment. Of course we clowned around and snapped a few pics too cause everyone loves seeing Leo. Palapa is always a great place to catch events, there is lots of room and great people watching. This was the second time I had heard Roy play there and knew he was worth seeing again. It was fun seeing people outside floating in the tubes and diving off the floating dock while enjoying the show. Perfect island-style way to spend a Friday afternoon.

International Sourcesizz

Maya sacred book “Chilam Balam Tekax” astrological predictions analyzed by INAH experts

Videos

• San Pedro Lobster Festival 2018, 1.5min.

• San Pedro Lobster Festival block party 2018, 8min.

• Blue Hole Belize 2018, 6.5min.

• Snorkeling at secret Beach in San Pedro Belize, 6min.

• Tugboat Pulling Sugar Barges on the New River, Belize, 2.5min. A tugboat pulling four barges full of raw sugar on the New River, Orange Walk Town, Belize. Taken during the 2018 Ethnographic Field School in Belize

• Carnival Dream Sept 2016 Belize, 27min.

• (NAWL) Finals Game 2!! Jewel Fury vs Toledo Rumberas , 84min.