FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Island actor lands role in Telemundo’s La Reina del Sur Season 2
A reliable source has confirmed to The San Pedro Sun that Ambergris Caye’s very own Horacio Louis Guerrero was cast to play a minor role in Telemundo’s second season of the popular Spanish series, La Reina del Sur. The soap opera’s production starring well-known Mexican actress Kate del Castillo, filmed a few scenes in the western District of Cayo, Belize by the Xunantunich Archaeological Reserve from Monday, July 9th to Friday, July 13th. The island actor is said to have played his role alongside Humberto Zurita and Mark Tacher. Both Mexican actors are main characters in the telenovela. Guerrero also shared the set with actor Emmanuel Odenay, who has participated in productions like Señora Acero and Señor de Los Cielos.

Doctor Love: To Speak or Not To Speak
Dear Doctor Love, Six months ago, I cheated on my girlfriend and I feel still like an absolute dog. Sometimes the guilt comes out of nowhere and I feel sick. I have no excuse. I was drunk and out of town and I know it was the stupidest thing I have ever done. Even though I know the only way she will find out is if I tell her, I feel terrible and want to make it up to her every minute. I feel like I put a big black spot on our love. It will never happen again but should I get it off my chest and ask her to forgive me? Because right now nothing could be worse than how I feel when I look her in the eye. /s/Name Withheld

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Galen’s 15th Commencement Ceremony!
Celebrating educational accomplishments at Galen’s 15th Commencement Ceremony! Congratulations, Class of 2018!

Succotz Archaeology and Culture Fair
Its that time of the year! We are glad to present our 4th annual archaeology and culture fair at San Jose Succotz, Cayo, Belize! Come meet researchers from Xunantunich Archaeological Reserve and other sites and participate in Archaeology Olympics! Sunday July 22 starting at 11 am!

The Reporter

World Cup 2018 final: France 4-2 Croatia
When the decisive blows arrived, it was the entire France squad in the victory scrum by the corner flag. Hugo Lloris, the goalkeeper, had run the entire length of the pitch. All the substitutes were disappearing under one another. There were even a few members of the backroom staff contemplating joining in, and who could blame them? France were on their way to their second World Cup and a party was already under way behind the goal where the tricolours were fluttering. Not even Croatia, with all their powers of durability, could recover from the second-half goals that Paul Pogba and Kylian Mbappé scored in quick succession to open up a three-goal lead and ensure France will soon be wearing a shirt with two stars, rather than one, above their cockerel.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Man found dead in Buena Vista, Cayo
A man was found dead in Buena Vista, Cayo District this morning. According to reports, the man was found dead at his home. A BERT team is currently at the scene waiting for police to arrive. […]

Haiti’s Prime Minister resigns amid gas price hike riots
Prime Minister of Haiti, Jack Guy Lafontant resigned yesterday amid deadly protests that were sparked by his plan to raise fuel prices. According to a report from the Wall Street Journal, Lafontant informed Haiti’s Chamber of Deputies that he sent his resignation letter to President Jovenel Moise. […]

US Embassy in Haiti protected by Marines
The United States Government has deployed US Marines to protect its Embassy in Haiti. On Tuesday, July 10, 2018, the Marines arrived at Port-au-Prince to provide security at the embassy. The crew on the mission are the same officers that are deployed whenever any ambassador or diplomatic post overseas is under threat. […]

Fair weather to continue
The 24-hour forecast is for mostly fair weather. Sunny skies with a few cloudy spells and some isolated showers are expected over the Maya Mountains this afternoon. […]

Belize Cycling Federation elects new executive
Today the Belize Cycling Federation held an election at the UWI open campus in Belize City to select its executive members. A total of 137 registered members of the cycling federation turned out to cast their vote at 3 p.m. In the end, a slate headed by the presidential candidate, Orson Butler, emerged victorious with 80 votes compared to a slate by Alexi Ordonez which received 56 votes. […]

San Ignacio home burglarized; Over $5,000 in valuables stolen
On July 13, 2018, Santiago Zelaya, 38, from San Ignacio Town, Cayo District, reported to police that around 8:45 a.m., he was informed that his house was burglarized. According to Zelaya, he left his home on July 9, 2018, around 7:30 p.m. and had ensured that his house was secured. […]

Elections and Boundaries officer involved in traffic accident
According to reports, at least three officers from the Elections and Boundaries office in Cayo were traveling from Duckrun village when they were involved in a road traffic accident. Sources tell BBN that a complaint had been filed earlier in the day against the officer driving at the time of the accident. […]

Belize city messenger shot on St. Thomas street
Belize city police are investigating a shooting incident that occured yesterday evening. According to reports, Nyrere Parchue, a messenger by profession was riding on St. Thomas street when he was approached by a man who pointed a gun at him and demanded that Parchue hand over a folder with documents. […]

Blogs

A Saturday Afternoon at Secret Beach
I’m trying to remember my first trip to Secret Beach on the West Side of Ambergris Caye. I don’t know if it’s a lack of distinct seasons or just my advancing age but my memory? It ain’t good. I moved to San Pedro, full time, in May of 2007 living just south of town. To me, and for many years, north of the bridge was FAR AWAY. A serious trip… In 2009 and 2010, the first road to the west side of Ambergris Caye was built by a developer. And at that time, a few people started venturing out to “Secret Beach”. To an area on the west side called “Ambergris Bay”.

International Sourcesizz

How Has Belize Preserved its Barrier Reef?
The World Heritage Committee last month took the momentous decision to remove the Belize Barrier Reef from its list of world heritage sites that are under threat of destruction. The move came in recognition of the excellent work done by the Belize government to safeguard this beautiful natural asset. The decision was reached by the committee in their meeting in Bahrain on June 26th and comes nine years after the Reef was first listed as endangered. Commentators at the scene said that members of the UNESCO council said the country’s "visionary plan to manage the coastline" was behind their verdict. Visiting the country in the mid-19th century, Charles Darwin was so impressed with the site that he called it “the most remarkable reef in the West Indies”. In 1996, UNESCO recognised its unique beauty by adding it to its list of World Heritage sites.

Videos

• Belize by Air, 27min.

• Tikal and Belize 2018, 6min. Trip to Tikal and Belize. Highlights included scuba diving the blue hole, lighthouse reef and half moon caye. Saw plenty of sharks and crabs, and even saw toucans and monkeys in Tikal.

• BELIZE, 4min.

• Sugar Fest 2018, Orange Walk Town, Belize, 25min. A collection of short clips from the 2018 Sugar Fest during the 2018 Ethnographic Field School in Belize. Clips include ASR/BSI display, Caribbean Roots band, strong man competition, CDC Orange Walk Central Drum Corps, and Garifuna Drummers & Dancers.

• Students Versus Mechanical Bull, Sugar Fest 2018, Orange Walk Town, Belize, 6min. Students taking turns riding a mechanical bull at the 2018 Sugar Fest during the 2018 Ethnographic Field School in Belize.

• Awesome night fishing in San Pedro Ambergris Caye!!!!!, 13min. Hope you guys like this video we went and fish all night it was an awesome experience.

• Huay K'eek'en and the Huay Peek' , 3min. The Northern Maya of Belize have many stories of the Huay the most common are the Huay K'eek'en and the Huay Peek' . The wáay also spelled as Huay are Evil Sorcerer who can transform into animals . In Northern Belize the most common are the Huay K'eek'en which is the Brujo/Bruja who transforms into a large pig to do mischievous acts like destroy properties and harm people . Another common Huay is the Huay Peek' which is the Brujo/Bruja who transforms into a large black dog to destroy property and profanate tombs in the cemetery . Many of us grew up hearing this stories of the Huay K'eek'een and Huay Peek' in Northern Belize .