Next Thread
Print Thread
Mexican ADO bus crashes with Belizean athletes onboard #531458
07/23/18 11:59 AM
07/23/18 11:59 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP
According to Mexican media, the ADO bus was traveling from Cancun to Veracruz this morning when it crashed into a parked vehicle. The bus is reported to have had 40 passengers on board, and one of those passengers died due to the impact of the accident. Traveling on the bus were Belizean athletes of The Belmopan Trojans. According to a public social media post, the coach reports that all the players are ok and on their way back to Belize.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Mexican ADO bus crashes with Belizean athletes onboard [Re: Marty] #531459
07/23/18 02:13 PM
07/23/18 02:13 PM
San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye...
Amanda Syme Offline

Amanda Syme  Offline
How awful.

Re: Mexican ADO bus crashes with Belizean athletes onboard [Re: Marty] #531480
07/25/18 05:49 AM
07/25/18 05:49 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP

BELIZEAN DIED IN ADO BUS ACCIDENT

The Reporter Newspaper has been able to confirm that a Corozal resident died in the accident involving the ADO bus, on which members of Belmopan’s Trojan basketball team were travelling. Alvaro Ascencio was flung out of the bus and died on impact, while his wife Angelita and daughter Mia were seriously injured and are hospitalized at a private clinic in Chetumal. Mia’s daughter, travelling, with them, received only minor injuries.

A family member who spoke to the Reporter stated, “We know it’s him because he is the only passenger whose whereabouts are still unknown after the list of passengers was checked. They were seated in one of the front rows.”

The family was travelling home to Corozal when the ADO bus collided with a truck in the vicinity of Bacalar.

The Reporter

Belizean Died In ADO Accident

Yesterday we told you about the fatal ADO bus collision near Bacalar, Quintana Roo - about 60 miles from Chetumal. As we told you, a Belizean basketball team was traveling on the bus when the collision occurred. According to reports, the bus driver saw a lumber truck on the road but he didn't realize that it wasn't moving. The lumber truck had apparently stopped as a result of mechanical problems. That led to a massive explosive collision. The passengers, including the Belizean team suffered minor injuries. However, the basketball team weren't the only Belizeans that were inside the bus at the time of the incident. A family of four from Corozal was sitting on the left front side of the bus directly on the path of collision. One of them, Alvaro Ascencio, was flung through the window as a result of the impact and his mangled body landed several feet away. CTV-3 heard more from his family today.

Javier Sosa, Brother-in-law of victim
"My sister the deceased, their granddaughter and their great granddaughter were traveling. The 4 of them were coming from Cancun. That's where they got the bus to go to Chetumal. As they were reaching Bachalar, this incident occurred. What we understand is that the only one who died was my brother-in-law. What they said is that my brother-in-law wasn't appearing anywhere. It is true that the deceased was there, but his body was disfigured. They say that they didn't even know who he was. But my brother-in-law wasn't appearing anywhere. So it had to be him. Who else would it be? He was the only one that was coming on the bus that they couldn't find."

"Well, they were trying to figure out who the deceased was. In the meantime they brought my sister here. My sister fractured her right foot and I think her back hurts around the lungs. She is the granddaughter to the one who was also in the accident. I think her feet and neck are injured, because they have a support on her neck. That's all I saw. That's all I know."

The bus was travelling from Cancun to Veracruz, through Chetumal.

According to the family the ADO bus company has agreed to cover all funeral expenses.

Channel 7

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 205 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics68,903
Posts474,596
Members19,400
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.