Convicted and Fined for Up to 10 Grams of Weed? Here’s How Your Record Can Be Expunged

In 2017, a law was passed, making the possession of up to ten grams of marijuana legal.  According to Attorney General Michael Peyrefitte, the amendment to Misuse of Drugs Act was to ‘try and give people a break.’ Prior to the new law, persons were arrested and ended up in jail for a miniscule stick of weed. For those persons who have that type of police record, there is a way to make it all go away. Peyrefitte says it only takes a letter sent to the Commissioner of Police asking for the record to be expunged.

Michael Peyrefitte, Attorney General

“There is no strict form of attestation. You can simply write, if you had been fined before and it was less than a certain amount you get your record from the Magistrate Court to show that that was your conviction and fine. Write a cover letter to the Commissioner of Police and say Dear Commissioner, pursuant to this law, this was my conviction, this was fine it comes with the law and I hereby request from you to expunge my record and it will be done. It is a law so the Commissioner will have no choice but to expunge the record. I don’t see why it should take anything more than a couple of days. I have told that there have been applications and people seem to have gotten their expungement.”

Adult marijuana users are required to use the drug within the confines of their homes.

Channel 5