FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Six months after Vildo’s Westby alleged arrest in Mexico, Belize Police remain tight-lipped
It’s been over six months since news broke that Vildo Westby, the prime suspect in Felix Ayuso’s murder was detained by Mexican authorities in Las Choapas, Veracruz Mexico on December 8, 2017. However, the Belize Police Department (BPD) will not officially confirm this information. Ayuso’s sister Carmen Eiley told The San Pedro Sun she doesn’t understand why it is taking BPD so long to extradite him to Belize. “We did our part in helping them find him, and now they have to do theirs,” she said. “I’m always checking so I can confirm to you that he is still detained in Las Choapas, Mexico.”

Doctor Love: Old age and family discord
Dear Doctor Love, My husband and I have been talking to my mother about moving into our spare room and giving up her house. Her health is failing and as it is becomes difficult for her to be alone the rising costs on the island are eating away at her small savings. I already do most things for her and my husband does what he can to keep her house fixed, but her moving in with us is a very good solution as she gets older. The problem is my youngest sister. She accuses me of trying to get my hands on our mother’s money when she sells her house.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

MISS CULTURE INTERNATIONAL MAYA QUEEN 2018
On Saturday, July 28, the country of Belize was well represented at a cultural pageant in Merida, Mexico by delegates from northern Belize. The MISS CULTURE INTERNATIONAL MAYA QUEEN 2018 was won by our very own Sharissa Dominguez.

7th Annual Hunger Awareness Ride
BEL’s annual commitment to Dara’s Feeding Program continues with a $2,000 donation and our Megawatts Cycling Club participated in the 7th Annual Hunger Awareness Ride on July 29, 2018. The program provides breakfast and lunch for school children in Belize City who are in need.

Kids in Action 2018
Another year more kids 2018 !! KIDS RULE !! Thanks to ALL who make it possible!! The kids will cherish forever!!! BESTEST WEEK EVER !!

A milpa in the village of Santa Clara Corozal at a back yard
In Maya milpa is Kool . Our Maya Tatitos believe that the Aluxoob are called into being when a farmer builds a little house on his property, most often in a maize field (milpa). Also the alux will help the corn grow, summon rain and patrol the fields at night, whistling to scare off predators or crop thieves. The Aluxoob are guardians of our milpas . Today many Mayero elders in Northern Belize continue having a little milpa in their back yard with corn,Calabaza,beans etc and along with it some medicinal plants . Is the way of the Maya Masewal .

The Reporter

3 Cases of Swine Flu Detected in Corozal
The Ministry of Health via a press release issued late yesterday evening confirmed the detection of three positive cases of the H1N1 influenza in the Corozal District. The confirmations were received yesterday afternoon from the Ministry of Health’s Central Medical Lab in Belize City. The confirmed cases include two males who recently travelled to Merida, Yucatan Mexico, while the third is a pregnant female who resides in Chetumal, Quintana Roo.

Businessman Robbed of $19K
Jamie Dominguez 35, a Belizean Project manager of Usher’s Construction Limited was robbed of over sixteen thousand dollars in payroll money by a group of armed bandits on Friday evening. Dominguez reported to police that on July 27th at around 5:10 p.m. he left his worksite in Belama Phase Two and was headed to the Bella Vista area in Belama to pay his workmen. On his way to the area he says he picked up his mother Maria Dominguez 59.

Police Identify Murder Victim
Police have officially released the identity of a man who was shot dead at around midnight last night in the Lake Independence area of Belize City. The victim who recently celebrated his 22nd birthday this past Monday has been identified as Dean Nembhard. He was reportedly shot to the left side of his head, under his right eye and to the center of his chest around 11:55 p.m. on July 27th.

Three Walk off Murder Charge
Today July 27th, 2018 Supreme Court Judge Colin Williams in Belize City ruled that three men – Orel Leslie, Brandon Baptist and Tyrone Meighan were not guilty of the 2012 murder of ex-Belize Defence Force soldier James Noralez. In the session which lasted a little over two hours and fifteen minutes, Judge Williams questioned the credibility of statements given by the the prosecution’s main witness as well as the altering of statements by investigating officers and signs of evidence tampering.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Hit-and-run leaves man seriously injured
A hit and run traffic accident that occurred yesterday evening around 6:25 has left a man seriously injured. According to police, they responded to a report of a road accident on College Road, Corozal and when they arrived at the scene, they saw Arnando Witz, 31, on the roadside with head injuries and a damaged beach cruiser bicycle. […]

Body found in Progresso, Corozal
BBN has confirmed that a dead body was found in Progresso Village in the Corozal District. According to reports, the body was found yesterday evening. […]

San Ignacio and Santa Elena Basketball Association to host Youth Summer Camp
The San Ignacio and Santa Elena Basketball Association is hosting a Youth Summer Camp that is scheduled from Monday, July 30 to Friday, August 10, 2018. The event will be hosted at the Sacred Heart College Auditorium in San Ignacio Town. […]

BBN’s Person of the Week: Kim Simplis Barrow
Kim Simplis Barrow is Belize’s Special Envoy for Women and Children. Barrow is also a Global Ambassador for Special Olympics since 2008 as well as the Founder and Director of the Lifeline Foundation. The Lifeline Foundation raises thousands of dollars annually to aid disenfranchised children. […]

Blogs

Eat Like a Local: Belize Food Tours is a MUST-DO!
As soon as you get off the plane on the island, you’ll find a town where locals and visitors live together (even if you are there for a few days or a few weeks.) And everyone has an opinion where you should go…favorite restaurants, best breakfast tacos, favorite spot for a Belikin beer. But your time is limited. And…the number of meals are too. Sure you can test out everything…but you might find yourself eating 6 meals a day. Or you can stick to sites like Tripadvisor…but I find those don’t necessarily reflect the real favorites. So here is the PERFECT SOLUTION! Belize Food Tours. A few hours in San Pedro center. Your tour guide born and raised in Belize with a thorough history of Ambergris Caye – from Caste War refuge to coconut plantations to fishing village. And can walk and talk and TASTE you through the many influences on the DELICIOUS, UNIQUE, DELICIOUS cuisine of Belize.

International Sourcesizz

Behind the Campaign to Save Coral Reef Tourism
More than half of the world’s coral reefs have died in the last 30 years as ocean temperatures and pollution levels have risen around the globe. But corals can come back from the dead, a possibility that has caused many scientists, governments, and travel companies to kick into high gear and reverse the trend of reefs becoming watery graves. The travel industry’s first hurdle in saving coral reefs worldwide is to show travelers that the reefs haven’t been completely destroyed, a narrative some argue mainstream media has helped to perpetuate. While the industry stages an awareness campaign for the reefs, many brands in recent years have also reignited the movement to ban single-use plastics, which harm coral. Estimates vary but The Nature Conservancy, an Alexandria, Virginia-based nonprofit organization, claims that coral reef tourism is worth $36 billion globally each year. That number doesn’t include the billions of dollars reefs also generate for other industries, like fishing and pharmaceuticals.

Videos

• OCEAN RESCUE – PLASTIC POLLUTION, 7.5min.

• Yucatan Squirrel, 1min. It is diurnal and mainly arboreal. It is most active in the early morning. It eats soft fruit, nuts, and seeds; when these foods are not available, it subsists on flowers, buds, and shoots. I took this short video at Nim Li Punit Archeological Site In Toledo , Belize.

• Moonrise in Corozal, 10sec.

• Belize Snorkeling, 3min.

• Belize Skateboarding 2016, 1min.

• Snorkeling Hol Chan Marine Reserve Belize Case Caulker, 5min.

• 2018 Belize Vacation, 14min. We rented a car and drove from Belize City to San Ignacio where we climbed Cahal Pech and Xunantunich. We drove back and took a boat from Belize City to Ambergris Caye where we went on a few snorkeling trips including to Geoff's Caye. We spent our final few days on Caye Caulker where we spent time at the split and snorkeling even more. We saw sharks, rays, turtles , eels, octopus, and a plethora of fish.

• Divers EyeView of the Great Blue Hole in Belize, 7min.

• Belize Exposed Eel, 2.5min. 1st day, 2nd dive - Eel outside his hole.

• THE GREAT BLUE HOLE - Scuba Diving Belize, 4.5min. We had the pleasure of checking another one off of the bucket list: The Great Blue Hole. What an amazing experience. Located off of the coast of Caye Caulker in Belize, we woke up at 5am to go on this unforgettable experience.

• BELIZE Episode 1: Ambergris Caye, 6min. This is the first day or two in Belize for my wife and I. We had a great 2 week trip here recently. I will have 6 episodes, one each day. Ambergris Caye is the largest island in Belize, pretty much dedicated to tourism. We stayed at a place called Coco Beach which was very nice. We went to Secret Beach, which wasn't so secret. Then we enjoyed the town of San Pedro.

• UNREAL ISLANDS IN BELIZE! - THE BEST DAY IN BELIZE, 14min. This was probably the best day of the entire Belize trip. We went on a boat tour and visited 3 incredible Cayes (Islands), The most impressive one was King Lewey's island resort. Definitely try and do this boat tour if you are visiting Placencia!

• Premiere League of Belize | Verdes FC vs Wagiya FC, 1hr.